(shouting)

Make a Good Kaizo Level Contest X3 - RELEASE

would you like to participate in some fun contests? would you like to create some fun contests? well ^_^
Emral
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/

Re: Make a Good Kaizo Level Contest X3 - JUDGING BEGINS - SUBMISSIONS STILL OPEN

Post by Emral »

excuse me it's a '^' cat and a crushed soda can

also yes
I do things. You can find them on my talkhaus site. https://enjl.talkhaus.com/
Here is another link. This one lets you draw.
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/draw.html
Zygl

Re: Make a Good Kaizo Level Contest X3 - JUDGING BEGINS - SUBMISSIONS STILL OPEN

Post by Zygl »

Rumis wrote:Zyggy has a lotta work to do still.
Yeah, Real Life™ and my standard constant tiredness have been kind of a thing as of late. I'm getting it done though - I had off work today and work a late shift tomorrow, so I've got plenty of time to put a dent in that queue.
MECHDRAGON777
Up in the Tower floating above Gensokyo lies the true me in reverse.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by MECHDRAGON777 »

Zyglrox Odyssey wrote:
Rumis wrote:Zyggy has a lotta work to do still.
Yeah, Real Life™ and my standard constant tiredness have been kind of a thing as of late. I'm getting it done though - I had off work today and work a late shift tomorrow, so I've got plenty of time to put a dent in that queue.
Judging from the first post, the contest is half done?

My avartar

I am a SMBX player, and I do not know weather to stay at SuperMarioBrosx.org or at talkhaus.raocow.com honestly.

Katazuki
wawa
Pronouns: whomst

Post by Katazuki »

It seems to be that way. The wait for my inevitable last placing is just killing me.

Also at this point new submissions shouldn't matter anymore since it's impossible to get any points given the rules anyways.

Who has the most?
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

It's been quite a while since the last update, so I'm expecting the results any day now.
Zygl

Re: Make a Good Kaizo Level Contest X3 - JUDGING IN PROGRESS

Post by Zygl »

Uh yeah about that.

I apologise for the obscene duration of Judging Time, Real Life™ and my standard constant tiredness have persisted in being things and also admittedly I've been slacking a little bit, so my progress has been a bit slow as of late. Just knocked out another three levels today though, for what it's worth.
As for Pyro's last two levels to judge, she's apparently been super ultra busy lately and will be for a while, but she's gonna try to squeeze them in when she gets the chance.

Also submissions are closed now, I set the deadline at 'when judging's finished' not realising it'd take quite this long but the late penalty's up to literally -105 at this point, it's time to cut it off.
Zygl

Re: Make a Good Kaizo Level Contest X3 - JUDGING IN PROGRESS

Post by Zygl »

SPOOK

NAN. NightSparrow - Trial by RNG (DQ/50)
Source Level: Wow! Spiny Plant Goombas!

Zyglrox Odyssey
Difficulty: DQ/20
Familiarity: DQ/10
Distinction: DQ/10
Creativity: DQ/10
Total: DQ/50
Comment: Full disclosure: I didn't beat this level. About 150 deaths into trying it was pointed out to me that NightSparrow made the original "Wow! Spiny Plant Goombas!" and I was just not having nearly enough fun to make powering through worth it for a level that'd be getting DQ'd anyway.
Like, I'm sorry, but this is just not a good level at all. The Goomba room mostly consists of waiting around, the plant room is spammy nonsense with several layers of jank added on, and admittedly that's as far as I got - my breaking point was when I took a hit on both sides of the pipe from the green switch because I had the audacity to get there while big - but the second half looked just as unpleasant.
For what it's worth though, the section right after the midpoint made me laugh - I'm glad I never actually got there and tried to play it, but it looks silly.

Pyro
Comment: incredible

Enjl
so like since I'm expecting this level to end up near the very bottom I'll just drop some info about the +, ++, - and -- you'll see next to my difficulty scores sometimes. They're pretty self explanatory: Things which I felt were worth pointing out in order to show you where I'm coming from. They're a bit meme-y and explained further in the elaboration so you could view them as a tl;dr. Hope you enjoy!!
----please let's not make kaizo based on rng. The skilled player should beat it, not the lucky one.
Comment:
also the rules.

NAN. Ness-Wednesday - Atohscoll I mean Autoscrool (TRFP pardoy) (DQ/50)
Source Level: The Raging Flying Pokémon (???)

Zyglrox Odyssey
Comment: Time for a bit of Behind-the-Scenes Insider Info - despite the rules VERY CLEARLY stating that entrants are supposed to make their .lvl file names their username, Ness-Wednesday here put his level name there instead. Despite them being EVEN MORE emphatic about how they are not to indicate their source level in the filename, or anywhere but a separate .txt expressly for that purpose, his .lvl filename also includes the phrase "TRFP pardoy [sic]" and he did not include a .txt file with his submission at all - he ONLY submitted his .lvl. When asked if he did in fact base his level on The Raging Flying Pokemon as his filename seemed to indicate, he responded that it was in actuality based not on a level from MaGL X or X2, but an upcoming chapter of his FANFICTION. So we DQed him.
On to the actual level, it's... not hard. At all. A bit stressful to play, but only for fear of dying on such an easy level and being eternally shamed and disgraced. Any challenge that MIGHT have been there is neutered by the overabundance of powerups, to the point that it becomes little more than an exercise in tanking hits. Also I don't know how you managed to make this janky of autoscroll in a vanilla setting but it's remarkably gross.

Pyro
Comment: .-.

Enjl
--what better way to make a kaizo level than to put powerups everywhere and have super slow paced autoscroll and repetitive sections :D
Comment: B'loody Mary was standing there. "Hajimemashite gurl." she said happily (she spex Japanese so do i. dat menz 'how do u do' in japanese). "BTW Willow that fucking poser got expuld. she failed al her klasses and she skepped math." (an: RAVEN U FUKIN SUK! FUK U!)

"It serves that fuking bich right." I laughed angrily.

Well anyway we where felling all deprezzed. We wutsched some goffic movies like Das niteMARE b4 xmas. "Maybe Willow will die too." I said.

"Kawai." B'loody Mair shook her head enrgtically lethrigcly. "Oh yeah o have a confession after she got expuld I murdered her and den loopin did it with her cause he's a necphilak."

"Kawai." I commnted happily . We talked to each other in silence for da rest uv da movie.

"OH HEY BTw, im going to a concert with drako tonight in Hogsmeade with mcr." I sed. " I need to wear like da hotset outfit EVA."

B'Loody Mairy Nodded ENREGeticALLlY. "Omfg totally lets go shopping."

tl;dr this is a challenge contest, not a fanfiction contest

14. ParmaJon - House of Kaizo (1/50) (-25 Penalty)
Source Level: Chaos House

Zyglrox Odyssey
Difficulty: 5/20
Familiarity: 7/10
Distinction: 8/10
Creativity: 5/10
Total: 25/50
Comment: You turned the axes invisible. The event you go into the freezer to trigger is triggered by one of those very invisible axes, in a location that's easy to miss and even easier to overlook. I don't think I need to explain why this is a VERY bad thing.
The rest of the level was fun for the most part, albeit largely for the wrong reasons; most of the more fun rooms were fun by virtue of being breakable in entertaining and perhaps convoluted ways, with special mention going to the basement's two zips and a damage-boost.

Pyro
Difficulty: 8/20
Distinction: 4/10
Total: 24/50
Comment: Well this happened. I'm really conflicted about this level. On one hand, there were some really fun and creative rooms (garage, the eerie room), but on the other hand, there were a lot of rooms that were just complete garbage spamfests (basement, freezer). And having to constantly do the platform ride in the attic over and over just to get killed by Lakitu again was really not fun. I eventually just lost my patience and gave up. I really wish the level was way more like the eerie room and the garage but as it stands the bad far outweighs the good. Also I can tell you took some inspiration from friend of Talkhaus anon0myousbloodlust :v. also >tfw grand dad reference 0/50

Enjl
Difficulty: 13/20
Familiarity: 10/10
Distinction: 3/10
Creativity: 3/10
Total: 29/50
Comment: I feel SUPER bad for the 25 points penalty for revealing the name/5 days late. I would've loved to see this compete fairly with the other entries.
While this level felt like an umbra mission remix in some areas (guest bedroom, freezer, basement and to an extent the attic), it pulled off its remixes of the other areas REALLY well. The bedroom, garage and fish pond were lots of fun to play and really nice remixes. Certainly didn't expect that scrolling gimmick in the garage.
Overall: Yup. That's chaos house.

13. Katazuki - Pondering Lake (4.33/50) (Enjl's Least Favourite)
Source Level: Let's Think About Water and Rex

Zyglrox Odyssey
Difficulty: 3/20
Familiarity: 0/10
Distinction: 0/10
Total: 6/50
Comment: Invisible mazes are one of those level ideas we don't see very often, but for good reason. A lot of this level basically came down to trial-and-error rather than necessitating any degree of skill.
On the bright side though, it didn't overstay its welcome TOO much, and it was fairly cleverly-designed in some spots for what it was - the part in the first half where you have to despawn the Rexes to not get cornered later comes to mind. I also appreciate the bold decision to pick "Let's Think About Water and Rex" of all things for your level, and you DID make a nice meta use of the level name - I was indeed thinking about water and Rex by the end of it - but it's sort of related to the original in name alone; there wasn't much to work with, in fairness, but you didn't even use what little there was.

Pyro
Difficulty: 0/20
Familiarity: 2/10
Creativity: 0/10
Total: 5/50
Comment: nope

Enjl
--boring, super slow paced
--guessing game
--invisible lava tiles at the end
Familiarity: 0/10
Distinction: 2/10
Creativity: 0/10
Total: 2/50
Comment: After he finishes loading the guns, his smug smile turns into a wistful gaze towards the corner of the lake, his vision becoming unfocused as he leans back in his chair. Staring into the waves, he imagines the city he seeks — wandering through its invisible streets, getting lost in its beauty, the smell of salt water. The chair creaks, interrupting his reverie. His view snaps down to his army of Rex which he relentlessly fires into the lake. His smile disappears. Could it be that his unquenched desire has turned to a jealous rage and has manifested itself physically in his actions? Is the sad truth that he hates himself even more than those who are happy?

Nah. He chuckles to himself in desperation and clears his throat, loading the gun with another three dozen of his kind.

"One of these days, you'll find it. You'll find it!"

12. Septentrion Pleiades - What Has Science Wrought? (8.33/50) (-12 Penalty)
Source Level: I Don't Like Underwater Laboratory Levels. Can You Tell?

Zyglrox Odyssey
Difficulty: 6/20
Familiarity: 2/10
Total: 16/50
Comment: I liked this level better when I thought getting the dragon coins was the objective rather than a way to unlock the midpoint. I came to like the jellyfish storm over time, but it's not at all indicated that you have to wait it out to progress and it's so absurdly long - fifty seconds, by Pyro's count - that it's not entirely clear that it even ENDS. Furthermore, having the other two challenges only unlock the midpoint AFTER the cloud makes it completely and utterly not worth it; the Rinka section's inconsistent by virtue of its RNG elements in the form of the shooters' slight variance in firing rates, the invisible block section is VERY easy to just randomly get killed in, and by the time you're consistent enough at the jelly cloud to make a serious attempt at getting the midpoint it's not really worth struggling with the inconsistency of the other two sections.
The boss was neat though - fighting SMB3 Bowser while in the middle of a zip isn't something one often finds themself doing - but it was ultimately more stressful than actually difficult.

Pyro
Difficulty: 9/20
Familiarity: 3/10
Distinction: 6/10
Total: 23/50
Comment: This level is weird. It actually has some super neat ideas but I don't think some of them were executed very well. The jellyfish cloud was about 500% too long, the rinka spam in the first section was dumb, and the kaizo blocks at the end made me very sad. However, I really liked the squid mobile, and the chase at the end was pretty neat, though it was annoying when the bullets got desynced. And the Bowser fight was pretty hilarious. Overall the level is kind of a mixed bag. The first half is stupid and awful but the second half is doable and kinda neat.

Enjl
Difficulty: 10/20
----Trapping people in squid-operated taxis and having them dodge malicious donuts and jellyfish rain is prohibited by law.
Familiarity: 5/10
Total Score: 22/50
Comment: This level doesn't really do anything with the source level and it also makes the player want to quit playing SMBX forever right off the bat. Kind of a shame considering the second half actually plays kinda well. I ended up having more luck skipping the midpoint because the squid taxi section is kinda awful and something always went wrong. Also I swear to god I have seen this encounter with god somewhere before.

11. PixelPest - Well of Course You're Invisible; Mario Wasn't In Kingdom Hearts! (9.33/50) (Pyro's Least Favourite)
Source Level: Did you Know in Kingdom Hearts They Have Chain Chomps?

Zyglrox Odyssey
Familiarity: 1/10
Total: 12/50
Comment: You didn't so much remix the original level as you did just take a couple graphics from its folder and make your own level honestly. The only things making its source identifiable are a couple of sprite swaps and exactly three Chain Chomps - none of the actual level design is recognisable as having any root in the original, and you disregarded every one of the its wide assortment of interesting gimmicks - Link spinjumping, the Gradius section, the second star being just 'go back in and talk to the dude' - in favor of your own. Overall I'm overwhelmingly disappointed in the sheer amount of opportunity you squandered.
As for the level itself, it'd be a decidedly okay kaizo level without the invisibility - which I suspect is how you tested it - but being unable to see yourself just makes the timings for every jump needlessly obnoxious to learn. On top of that, the first section of the second half is downright atrocious about conveyance - there is absolutely no indication that a shell's going to appear until you've already jumped over it and died, nor is there any warning that the blocks you are to land on disappear - and the boss is just a complete mess. I appreciate what you were going for with the aiming Snifits serving to show you where you are, and it actually is fairly clever and creative, but the Chain Chomps make going anywhere away from the middle of the screen a fool's errand anyway - when they don't just immediately kill you on entering the room, that is.

Pyro
Difficulty: 2/20
Creativity: 1/10
Total: 6/50
Comment: Any will I would have had to beat this legit was destroyed by the fact that you made Mario invisible. Oh my god why. Like, okay, you can KINDA get an idea of where he is on the ground, but when you're in the air, it feels like it boils down to luck. This is NOT good difficulty. It was extremely artificial and had Mario been visible this would have been way easier (and more fun). The challenges themselves weren't even bad, it's just that you LITERALLY CAN'T SEE WHERE YOU'RE GOING EVER. After "beating" this level I had a horrible headache because of how obnoxious and straining it was to keep track of Mario. And there were SO many more things you could have done by picking this level. What if you had a Touhou-like portion using the gummi ship? What if you used the Link spinjumping mechanic at all? What if you used the Maverick Thwomps at all? Instead you decided to make a few challenges with shells and chain chomps, made the player invisible, and called it a day. The general lack of checkpoints also hurt it a lot. Also flashing C for the checkpoint smh. If there was a graphics category that would have probably docked a few points. Ugh, I can't stress enough how unfun this level was.

Enjl
--invisible player tacked on because difficult
-midpoint placement
Creativity: 2/10
Total: 10/50
Comment: This level immediately looked like... something. Somehow I didn't mind not being able to see the player character AS MUCH as other people might've. It put the focus of the level on figuring out a pattern and going with that, yet felt like a "oh just for the sake of it" way to increase difficulty. However, I can see this feature causing a LOT of early ragequits and I think the level would've been way more fun if the player was visible.
It didn't take me long to figure out what level this was referencing, but at the same time I wish it would've done more with the source. The level specifically references the first third of the source level while omitting the rest. Truth be told, making a kaizo shmup wouldn't really fit with your general idea (though an invisible player shmup does sound interesting...), but I was constantly anticipating maverick thwomps and you didn't deliver. On the flipside, the level feels very coherent with the theme of precision jumps on enemies being carried from beginning to end.
That being said, I would've preferred if the second half (everything after the janky screen transition) was constructed differently.
I include the last jump of section 1 in my definition of the "second half" because it feels like the checkpoint should be placed in front of it, considering how easy the second half is otherwise (by comparison).
Nontheless, back on topic! The second half seems poorly constructed overall. I like the little shell jump section, but there's a severe lack of indication of where you have to jump in order to not die. Even if the player makes it past the jumps on their first try, they WILL die because they can't anticipate a door appearing. Same goes for the boss entry. This is two unfair deaths which do nothing for the level.
The boss fight (and last screen of section 1) drags away from what I like the level for: Giving the player time to look at their surroundings and plan their movements needed to overcome the obstacle in their way. It's too hectic and I would've much preferred another shelljump puzzle like past the chain chomp in section 1. That one was clever and fun. The boss fight not so much.

10. MECHDRAGON777 - No Hiding Place in Bullet Heaven (15.66/50) (Zyglrox's Least Favourite)
Source Level: No disguise from that double vision.

Zyglrox Odyssey
Distinction: 5/10
Creativity: 2/10
Total: 10/50
Comment: I mean, you've got branching paths, a moving-floor SMB3 Bowser fight, the monochrome gimmick and the big switch that breaks everything like the original, so you've got that going for you I guess? But the branching paths are presented in a much less interesting way; the Bowser fight, while interesting in concept, is much less engaging now that the best strategy is to just stand around for a minute or so in no danger then try to bait him into the hole; and the color gimmick is largely underutilized, to the point it feels like it's just there to be able to say "hello I remixed No Disguise From That Double Vision."
Instead you inserted a number of other entirely disjointed gimmicks, very few of which have anything to do with the overarching black-and-white thing. One of the branching paths is an auto-run room; another is a mirrored-section invisible platform gimmick except this time the controls are reversed and there's a rising spike floor. Now the big switch reverses your controls too for some reason. You basically just threw as many gimmicks as you could think of at your source level and hoped something stuck, it seems like.
And the actual level design itself is somehow even MORE questionable. The last jump of the first section looks possible but FAR too finicky to pull off, the super shortcut in the second section doesn't look possible with those Rinka generators right there, and the first jump of the auto-run room is a strong contender for the single most egregiously bad jump I've ever seen. Two of the three stars require taking different paths such that you reach the end with and without hitting the switch, but the final stretch is identical in both apart from whether or not you've hit the switch - there is absolutely no indication that they're actually two different sections leading to two different stars rather than being the same section with a background change and a reversal of controls. And why, why, why, why, WHY did you put in an extra star for getting 5 Dragon Coins? You're essentially asking the player to complete the vast majority of your fairly long kaizo level without dying, which is downright inexcusable on its own, and on top of that your level has at least one unavoidable midpoint, meaning any time you die going for the third star you have to leave, go to another level and come back to reset it. This is the kind of decision that entirely ruins otherwise decent levels - and that's exactly what happened here.

Pyro
Creativity: 7/10
Total: 20/50
Comment: I....I......ugh. This level. It makes me very sad. Everything first star until Bowser was a blast and extremely creative, if a bit too deviant from its source material. There were a bunch of really neat things like the reverse control mirror room and the autorun room, and I found it super clever how you took a little bit of inspiration from Rinkas;Conquest. Then you get to the bowser fight. While creative, the entire setup feels like it was completely based on luck, and I basically had to just hope bowser would jump at the right time. I beat him once, but died trying to get to the star because I was extremely stressed out at that point. And then after that comes the other three stars. Here's my advice, and this goes for every person that designs Mario levels ever. NEVER. HAVE. SECRET. EXITS. EVER. THEY ARE 99.999999% OF THE TIME ALWAYS DONE WRONG. THERE ARE SO MANY LEVELS THAT MAKE YOU REDO A WHOLE BUNCH OF SHIT JUST TO GET TO A RANDOM SECRET EXIT IN A LONE ROOM. ALSO SCREW DRAGON COIN SECOND STARS THEY'RE TEDIOUS AS HELL. The remaining star is bullshit too. You basically have to redo the entire level except the second half is tweaked slightly, and the Bowser battle is complete bullshit. I LOVE not being able to see anything. UUUUUUUUGGGHHHHHH. This level had the potential to be so good but it blew it on with the secret stars and Bowser. bfihsdfijgjggojlkgg

Enjl
Difficulty: 3/20
+fun main path
---------everything else (you blew it)
Distinction: 7/10
Creativity: 4/10
Total: 17/50
Comment:
Alright.
Listen.
I did have a nice review all typed up because I did enjoy this level and I thought it did some neat things.
But look.
There's some aspects about this level which overshadowed all the creativity in this level and put a whole twist on its difficulty, which completely ruined my fun with it.
Before I get to that though, something general.
I enjoyed the main path of this level which leads you to the switch. It has nice challenges in the differently designed rooms (which remind me of Rinkas;Conquest more than Sturg's postgame entry tbh) and the choose-your-own-path type of deal worked well with the level. The midpoint placement was generous and made sure the level didn't stop being fun. Overall, that path is an enjoyable ride and it alone would've gotten a way higher score.
But listen.
I go into the debugger.
4 stars.
That alone is not a bad thing. What makes this bad is the way these stars are to be obtained:

Star 2 is a secondary path which you can enter by taking a random path and which features the same penultimate section and boss from the normal path, putting a bad light on the creativity which flow into creating it. The boss is identical to the boss of the regular route, except this time you can't see anything and the floor doesn't extend all the way.

Star 3 is a Dragon Coin star. Aside from the fact that Dragon Coin stars are the most disgusting thing you could do and even having one in your level makes replaying the level to find a star so much less fun, it means having to do this completely fine and fun level deathless while collecting 5 dragon coins which aren't always the easiest tokens to get.
There's one more thing which makes this star a complete mood-killer: The first checkpoint is unavoidable and one of the dragon coins is placed before you get there. That means whenever you die past one of the two midpoints you'll come by on this mission you'll have to enter a different level to cancel out your midpoints, because avoiding them is not an option.

Star 4 is... a leftover!!! There's no way to obtain it! That's gonna throw everyone off.

As much as I would love to judge this level for its main path alone, I mustn't ignore everything surrounding it. On that note, please don't overdesign your levels.

9. Skulldug13 - The Depression of swooper kind (19.66/50)
Source Level: I Believe Swooper are Lowly and I Feel Very Strongly About This!

Zyglrox Odyssey
Total: 12/20
Comment: I appreciate your use of obscure clipping glitches like the Yoshi jump at the beginning of the Mario path, but this is exactly why I said in the rules to explain any of the more obscure things you make use of in your level; I myself didn't know about that particular trick, and I ALMOST wrote off that entire half of the level as having been dummied out.
That aside, this level, uh, isn't very good. It's very, VERY easy, and while it's nice to have a level all about clipping and zipping you really don't do much interesting with it at all, basically only just placing blocks around to make blatantly obvious setups in environments with next to no danger of failure barring attempting something dumb. A lot of the original level is recognisable, which is a plus for this contest, but at the same time a lot of the original level is 1-2 and you didn't really do anything interesting in that regard either. Furthermore, it's rather obvious that very little testing actually went into this level; there's constantly just "TEST" printed in the upper-left corner via lua, the text boxes have typoes, the message for the start of the Peach path comes up at the beginning and end of the P-switch effect... it's just a mess.

Pyro
Familiarity: 8/10
Total: 22/50
Comment: This was sooo weeeiirrd. It's super amatuerish...but I still think at least the Mario path was okay? There were some nice setups, and zipping and glitching around with skull rafts, boots and p-switches is fun enough. The level had a couple of errors though, if you die after the Peach midpoint the level becomes impossible, you forgot a Peach filter at that midpoint, and pressing P-Switches triggers random text. Also nice job on the 210 megabytes of music!

Enjl
-most clips didn't feel good to play
-peach midpoint issues
Familiarity: 9/10
Distinction: 4/10
Creativity: 6/10
Total: 25/50
Comment: I feel like this level would've been more enjoyable if, instead of getting the player through the janky clips (yoshi, skull raft), it capitalised on using the smooth clips (shoe, p-switch) and was built around them combined with the moving layer attachment. The peach path felt smoother, but it suffered from some flaws:
Once you hit the midpoint and die, there's no way to transform back into peach. You're forced to reset the midpoint as progressing as small mario is impossible.
I also feel like one of the spikes near the end of peach's section is impossible to overcome when small. Using the powerup granted by the midpoint though, it's possible to completely skip this section and proceed to the goal.

8. Veruchai - Overgrowth (23.33/50)
Source Level: Forest (lovely b chan)

Zyglrox Odyssey
Difficulty: 4/20
Distinction: 10/10
Total: 26/50
Comment: I wasn't initially a fan of this level, it being mostly rather easy platforming and guessing which of the branching paths is the one that won't kill you for a fair portion of it, but then I went and looked at the original level afterward. I'm still not especially fond of this level from a gameplay standpoint, but I have to respect how you took the vast majority of the original level's geometry and made it feel like a completely different thing.

Pyro
Total: 26/50
Comment: Oh hey you picked what I almost picked for my postgame level :3c. This level was super fun and cute and adorable~, just like its source! I really like the platform ride with the vase zipping, that was super clever. Though I think it could have stood to be harder? And it didn't do TERRIBLY much to differentiate from the source. The vines were also a bit hard to see. But as a level overall it was pretty fun!

Enjl
-"what do I do"-Bonus
Creativity: 1/10
Total: 18/50
Comment: I liked the idea of using damageboost as your main method of advancement, but I would've liked to see this level to really capitalise on that and go all-out with the idea, utilising powerup frames as well as power-down frames. Just throwing spikes all over the floor of the original layout is kinda lame.
While the idea was neat, it also made it easy to just run past everything in some locations. The challenge of stocking up on powerups, getting to a tough spot and running past it isn't all that difficult once you identified the spot where you're stuck.

7. Ace - Crazy Chapel (24.33/50) (Pyro's Favourite)
Source Level: Bad Grip Ruins

Zyglrox Odyssey
Total: 11/50
Comment: A solid level in its own right - albeit on the easy side for a kaizo contest - but it's lacking a lot of what made the original Bad Grip Ruins as memorable as it is. In fact basically the only things I see here from the original are the tileset, an edit of the background and its being an autoscroller.

Pyro
Difficulty: 16/20
Familiarity: 4/10
Creativity: 10/10
Total: 38/50
Comment: This was super fun and creative! I think it strayed too much from the source level though, there were definitely a lot less moving layers and the second half was basically a completely different level. But what was actually there was really fun, and the music was super great too. It looked really nice too! Overall a really solid level. also >grand dad reference PLS

Enjl
Creativity: 9/10
Total: 24/50
Comment: What a nice change of pace to the original! I think this level really shines in its second half. Its first half is nice but it's missing all these moving layers the original level had and feels a bit dull as a result. The second half gets pretty interesting though by loading your moving platform with different hazards. I feel like the platform gimmick would've worked well in an environment with moving layers from the original, too.
I think this level would've been a really cool and interesting (and difficult) kaizo level if you experimented more with that. Truth be told, there aren't too many items you can toss on these platforms, but maybe by having the player juggle with mushroom blocks between them (brainstorming) you could've created quite the creative and difficult challenge.
As it stands right now though this level is rather easy and doesn't really do much with its source. The autoscroll gives you enough time to prepare for all the obstacles and there aren't any traps around which would give this the vibe of a kaizo level. It feels more like calm stroll through a world 7 or 8 level. Fun ride nontheless!

6. Nerx - SQUAWK! (26/50)
Source Level: Swooper Castle

Zyglrox Odyssey
Total: 22/50
Comment: Maaaaaan I was having a lot of fun with this one but then I just kinda was at the midpoint and then it just sort of ended a little after that. What's here is fairly tricky and fun, I just wish there were more of it.
I also am reminded looking back at the original Swooper Castle that it's the one with the Batafire fight and now I'm sad that we didn't get a kaizo fire cat bat. ;-;

Pyro
Total Score: 24/50
Comment: This ended so quickly D: It's a shame because what was there was really neat! Although the propeller block seems weirdly inconsistent with that last jump. Also where's fire cat bat '^'

Enjl
Difficulty: 7/20
-short n' easy
Total: 32/50
Comment: I LOVE the idea this level has. Using the peach hover to bait your enemies and get them to where you want them to be. It works really well! I just wish this level did more with it, because it ended up being rather short and straightforward. Incorporating grinders, blaargs and fences from the original levels into some more complex scenarios may have helped this level do more amazing things.
The last jump had me stumped for a while. I thought I needed p-speed from the small gap before it. I ended up jumping higher when pressing both jump keys at the same time. Is that really a thing? Seems incredibly obscure.
Cool level nontheless. Shame it's so short though :p

5. 7NameSam - Close Enough (32.66/50)
Source Level: Wait, that's Not How it Happened

Zyglrox Odyssey
Total: 35/50
Comment: WOW this was fun! Brutally difficult and without a midpoint, but short enough to get away with it as far as I'm concerned. And actually looking back at the original's layout there are indeed some recognisable structures here from its first section, albeit a bit abstractly in some cases. Good job overall!
(As a side note, I remembered the original level having at least three sections to it so I spent the majority of my time on this level deathly afraid that it followed suit. I was kinda torn between relief and disappointment on finding out it was over after one section. :​P)

Pyro
Difficulty: 12/20
Total: 32/50
Comment: Add midpoints right before and after the shell section and this would have been basically perfect (though I don't think it did the best job of following the original source level). The entire level was basically just super fun few screens, huge spike in difficulty (shell section), then another super fun few screens, then it's over. If the shell section was just more lenient and went on a bit longer I would have loved this ;-;. And you picked the best level to remix too ;-;. Also that venus fire trap tho.

Enjl
Difficulty: 14/20
--that middle section
Total: 31/50
Comment: I feel super bad for this level because the entire fun I had with it was overshadowed by the existence of that shell-carrying section.
I really liked the idea of precise, short action segments based on a reliable timer (angry thwomp, switching death blocks, platforms going down/up), but the sudden change to the shell segment which is based on two timers (plant spitting fire, roto disc screwing you over) would've been much more enjoyable if moved to a "second half" with a checkpoint, so that the player doesn't have to re-beat the first portion over and over (the area after the shell section could in this case be moved in front of the shell section because that part is in line with the rest of the first half). I'm saying this because while learning the two timers, movement up the shaft and how to keep the shell going down I ended up getting more and more impatient and basically unlearned everything before it. The shell part feels like a huge change of pace. Instead of deciding when to go, you pretty much have one shot at the timer (from what I can tell), and something like this would work better in a dedicated second half, maybe with another challenge or two afterward.
After checking the source level I noticed you solely focused on the first section of it. I think it'd have been cool if you incorporated elements from the other sections into your remake. Maybe podoboos from the castle section. As it stands, though, I have very mixed feelings about this level. The short, timer-bound high-action segments are incredible amounts of fun, but ugh. That part with the shell isn't fun.

4. Willhart - The Kingdom of Pokies (35.66/50)
Source Level: The Pokeys of Hyrule

Zyglrox Odyssey
Creativity: 8/10
Total: 31/50
Comment: This was a neat little puzzler of a level. The platforming itself is relatively simple and the steps required to get through ultimately aren't especially dfficult to figure out either, but trying to focus on the platforming and the Pokeys at the same time can get a bit tricky, particularly in the second half with the Pokey Time.
I do wish more had been done with the Pokey-based platforming in the first half, and the controls for Pokey Time could stand to have been indicated in-level in SOME capacity, but overall I enjoyed this one.
(Also I appreciate your approach to including the curious horizontal wrap of the source while also requiring the player to do the actual level for both stars, but I did ultimately find a way to cheese the other star too. I feel a little bad.)

Pyro
Difficulty: 15/20
Familiarity: 6/10
Comment: Ahahahahahah screw that second star. I LOOOOOVE redoing levels I already beat just to get a chance at a secret star! Also, the surprise pokies in the tower section made me very sad. Other than those two things, I loved this level! The gimmick was definitely unexpected considering the source level, and the little effect looked really nice. The beginning section with the pokey manipulation was also really clever. Though I do feel like the level could have done more with the watch gimmick and then had more midpoints. I really liked the puzzle-y nature of the level as well, where you had to just mess around with the stopwatch and figure out where to go. The section before the tower was a bit too precise for my tastes, though.

Enjl
Difficulty: 13/20
-down button feels awkward
-first half
Comment: This level is so cute!! It immediately gives throwbacks to the source level and does a very good job at adhering to it while still standing on its own. I LOVE how you kept little details such as the "Onward!" guy, the red paratroopa duing the ride and the fact you can still skip the entire level. Probably my favourite part is how the friendly and harmonic everything felt.
The block snake gimmick made the second half stand out and is the main source of difficulty in this level. It's executed well, although kind of buggy (entering the climbing area will cause pokeys to glitch, NPCs also don't interact with them). Using the down button worked well as small Mario, but it turned the mushrooms found at the start and midpoint of the level into a handicap. I would've preferred the time button to be set to Alt Run. Feels less awkward and still lets you maneuver.
Sadly, the first half of the level is rather forgettable. I don't think I've ever figured out the intended way to beat it, too. The random enemies in blocks were cute, but didn't really add any challenge (apart from most of them being red herrings). The last jump before the midpoint can easily be tanked with a mushroom without needing assistance of a pokey. This part of the level doesn't give a clear indication on how to progress.
Lastly, there isn't really indication for being able to enter the pipe at the end. I just kinda did it by accident and got confused. Just thought I'd mention this.
Really enjoyed this level though! I bet if the time key was bound to Alt Run you could pull off some more complex pokey snake shenanigans which give the puzzles a stronger "ooh I get it"-feeling and make the level more versatile overall.

3. Rumis - A new world, a Kaizo world. (36.33/50) (Enjl's Favourite)
Source Level: Personally, I Think That Mario Is Missing Is a Very Observant and Fantastic Experience. I Captured That Here

Zyglrox Odyssey
Difficulty: 9/20
Total: 27/50
Comment: Well you certainly took that one huge desert level in MaGL X2 in an interesting direction. I feel like the ending of this one is a callback to it but I don't remember much of anything about it except that it exists so it went entirely over my head. In any case, it's basically only recognisable by way of the one house you can enter for the boot, though that part does do a remarkable job of capturing the same sort of atmosphere as the original despite being an entirely different environment.
As for the actual level design, it's fun, but not especially difficult for the most part. A lot of the challenges can be broken in some capacity - of particular note is the saw-bouncing section right after the Tanooki suit which you can fly around and keep the suit through - and since all the powerups are on generators it's fairly easy to tank through things at various points. I liked the puzzley feel of the boot section, but it ultimately didn't really go much of anywhere given the only thing you really had to work with was one red boot and the solution was to just go over some entirely unmarked lava under the spikes; it could've been a really cool thing had the solution been a bit more complex.

Pyro
Total: 40/50
Comment: Talk about improving on the source material lol. You actually executed the reveal so well. I opened the level and I was completely confused as to what it was, but then as I continued playing the level I noticed the little details like the houses, and my reaction was basically "Wait...it's THIS LEVEL?!". My only real problem with the level is the jumping into the pit with the red boot thing towards the end, that was really not obvious. Otherwise there were some pretty cool things here, like the puzzle with the Grinders and the tanooki suit puzzle. Though I actually ended up breaking some stuff because I broke the powerup filter and got all the way to the grinder puzzle with a tanooki. :P

Enjl
Difficulty: 12/20
++incredibly fun and trolly
--easily exploitable
Total: 42/50
Comment: I should've kept my experience with this level on camera, because witnessing me slowly realise which level this is based on might be a fun thing to do. It didn't occur to me at first, but as the level went on you kept dropping neat little hints and realising which level this references was quite fun, especially considering how infamous the original is for its flaws.
Enough of that. To the actual gameplay and stuff! This level was rather forgiving in terms of its difficulty by providing infinite powerup generators on multiple occasions. Unfortunately, the tanooki power especially allows the player to skip out on parts of the level entirely (especially if they get one in reserve too, to get past the spike trap at the end of the section). The level could be cheesed on other occasions, too. The end of the thwomp run can be easily skipped by spinjumping when passing the third wave of bullets and the saw puzzle at the end sometimes has the saw glitch directly into the plants when you mash the switch after missing your timing.
Aside from those flaws I really enjoyed the large variety of obstacles you provided. There's a lot of creative challenges which never get repetitive (and always trolled me). While the level wasn't very difficult overall (due to the lack of powerup filters which are a few lines in lua but judging from your txt I assume you didn't know), I really adore the presentation and variety of the challenges, which were super fun to play through.

2. Cheez8 - Fast Food Flight (41.66/50)
Source Level: Suddenly and Inadvertently Climb

Zyglrox Odyssey
Distinction: 9/10
Creativity: 7/10
Total: 39/50
Comment: Can I just take a moment to point out just how much of the original geometry of Suddenly and Inadvertently Climb is still intact here? I'm genuinely amazed, this is pretty much exactly the kind of thing I was hoping for out of this contest. And on top of that it's legitimately difficult in a fun way - admittedly I got rather unreasonably frustrated at it, but I really have no good reason to have and even then it was fun enough that I didn't dread trying to replay it for a less vitriol-stained perspective. Fantastic job!

Pyro
Total: 43/50
Comment: This is probably as familiar as you can get, hahahaha. I like the choice of just building off the original level though, it kinda makes it feel like a Meat Boy-esque 'dark world' version of the level or something. There were some really neat setups, especially adding spikes to the platform in the second section, and getting a running start and spinjumping off the eeries via the screen wrap in the first section. The setups were very satisfying to pull off, and it was very rewarding to finally beat it. Overall this was just a really really good level!

Enjl
Difficulty: 19/20
Total: 43/50
Comment: Huh. Rearranging the level's obstacles while retaining the layout works surprisingly well for turning this particular level into a Kaizo level. The new challenges are clever and very tough to overcome without being frustrating. My only issue with the difficulty is the occasional ambush. Mainly the sidestepper after obtaining the boot in the second half.
I really like the idea of having to carry your powerups past the obstacles presented in order to progress in the level. Couple that with the tight timeframe for escaping the lava and you did a good job at making 'The Successful Run' very satisfying.
I personally would've wished for an approach more detached from the source material, as there's only so much you can do with what the original creator presented.

1. Sturg - ULTRAVIOLE[n]T (42/50) (Zyglrox's Favourite)
Source Level: Behold! There is a White Bounce!

Zyglrox Odyssey
Difficulty: 19/20
Total: 45/50
Comment: This level. This freaking level. It uses a surprising amount of the original level's geometry in some rather clever ways, but the level design itself just completely overshadows it for me. Like, I'm legitimately at a loss for words to describe it, this was an amazing experience. An amazing, nightmarishly painful experience. In the good way, of course. It's EASILY the hardest level in this contest - it just so happens to be the last one I played so I can say that - but in a consistently fun way throughout its fairly substantial length. It took literally an entire day to beat, but I've not felt as good at the end of a level as I did here in a LONG time, if ever.
The ONLY gripes I have are that the bounce bubble things seem to maybe have a glitch where they'll throw you upward about twice as far as normally sometimes when you grab them with the down button, and at the time of this writing LunaLua has a bug that causes the game to crash after enough attempts - it affected me roughly every 180 deaths or so - but the former happened rarely enough as to not be TOO serious an issue for me personally and the latter would hardly be fair to hold against you.

Pyro
Total Score: 35/50
Comment: I'm extremely conflicted about this level. On one hand, it's really creative, with some really cool ideas (the shifting lasers, the shell race), but on the other hand, it's insanely long and REALLY, REALLY, REALLY HARD. I seriously question your decision to make the midpoints only accessible when you're big because that basically leaves the level NO room for error. The arrows are also really finicky as well, they seem to have like 8 pixels on the side that don't work. I really really want to love this level, but I just...can't. It's really long and ridiculously hard and a lot of the stuff you have to do is really really precise.

Enjl
--honestly if it wasn't for the buggy propeller, strict midpoint conditions in area 2 and 3 and black screen thing...
+very much kaizo
Total: 46/50
Comment:
WHERE do I begin. I'm a bit exhausted after this marathon of intense kaizo platforming. So I guess it'd be best if I just started at the very beginning and went through each segment on its own.
The first segment was lots of fun. A short, difficult section which rewards you with a midpoint if you're good enough. I like the concept. The section isn't too demanding and mastering the section to obtain this midpoint is something I had no problems with doing.
The second section gets a bit more demanding. I don't think I've ever actually figured out the intended solution to the key part. I just kinda did it on accident while panicking all over the place. The propeller block at the second toss can get a bit unreliable because SMBX likes to invert its X-momentum ever so often when it hits the ceiling. Having a bit more space upwards in that portion would've been nice to make learning the section easier.
Now, judging from the 200 deaths I have spent on that section vs the 50 from the previous one (mushroom for each), I'd say that one's quite a bit more much more demanding than the previous. I would've preferred this next midpoint to not be behind a DLC-wall, especially considering the fact Segment 3 gets even harder and more confusing. I beat this segment, but couldn't figure out how to do it without taking damage (I later wanted to revisit this section, but PGE always warped me to the final midpoint for some reason so I only retried that), and my koopa and key tosses were getting rather sloppy already. Also, would be nice to have a suicide spike at the keylock because softlocking isn't fun.
At this point it became rather obvious to me that this is a level best played in multiple sittings. Unfortunately, midpoints aren't saved over reboots (EXCEPT there's a weird bug with this level where the last midpoint NEVER resets apparently. WHAT.).
The fourth segment, interestingly, is much more straightforward than the previous two. Probably my favourite, too. The change of pace when moving into the factory was nice and learning the section doesn't suffer from engine-caused inconsistencies.
Section 5 was where the level officially dragged on for too long for me. I prefer this section over Sections 2 and 3, but it slides back into the insane levels of difficulty which drain the entire life out of the player so that the punchline of the entire level becomes just a "yeah whatever". I was stuck in this room for over 500 attempts, and while the concept is REALLY neat, getting the key-through-wall glitch to work reliably took a good 300 attempts (including messing up in previous parts of the section).
Quite a shame that the length kinda ruined parts of the level imo. I really like how this level started and the challenges were really creative. It just.. went on, and on, and on, and with the very, VERY unfortunate "black screen" which sometimes popped up and completely wiped out my progress in the level, I just wish it didn't go on for as long.
Still. REALLY liking the fast paced sections of this level and if it was just a bit more compact and more focused on item platforming than on item puzzle solving (I'm looking at you, section 3) then it might've been my favourite. Great level anyways.

Zyglrox's Raw File
Pyro's Raw File
Enjl's Raw File

e: Made the favorite text a bit less unfortunate a color here on the talkhaus.
Last edited by Zygl 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
ParmaJon
Moose in a suit
First name: Jon (a bit too obvious?)

Re: Make a Good Kaizo Level Contest X3 - RESULTS

Post by ParmaJon »

Im a little sad that I got 14th but the penalty was fair. Im glad you enjoyed the eerie room and garage, those are the rooms i poured heart and soul into; garage being my favorite thing ive done in smbx. By the time i did those two and the fish pond i was out of ideas and honestly ready to just say the level was complete but i felt a restriction from my base level sadly. As my level as a whole was ehh, im still proud of those parts and plan to rework them in the future. Thanks for the contest zyg, pyro and enjl

Edit: also yea anon0myousbloodlust was a huuuuuuuge influence on my level
Go to bed

Rumis
Rumielle

Post by Rumis »

Oh my goodness. 3rd place was not something I expected at all. After I submitted I kept worrying that it was definitely too easy! But despite it being an easy level in a kaizo contest, I didn't lose too many points after all.

Wow, I can't believe it though. Thanks for play! And congratz to everyone that's happy with their place! And whoever's not: Better luck next time!
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

ParmaJon wrote:Im a little sad that I got 14th but the penalty was fair.
It'll only mean that people will get to play it first, I think.
Katazuki
wawa
Pronouns: whomst

Post by Katazuki »

Almost last place dang it. I was so close! Why did you have to get penalized, Parma?

Yeah it had a lot to do with the fact that I barely had time left and that this gimmick really put a damper on my creativity since I had to be so on the spot with it.

In the end, blame Zyglrox for that SGDQ extension for the existence of this level. :3

Who has the most?
Lunikyuu
I forgot what I was going to put here after MaGL X3

Post by Lunikyuu »

isn't it just grand when you suddenly think of an idea for a level after the results are posted and the contest has long been over?

anyway, looking forward to when this gets released, I'm genuinely curious as to what some of these levels are like though I doubt I'd be able to beat most of them

also tbf I haven't really figured out how to do that idea anyway
ParmaJon
Moose in a suit
First name: Jon (a bit too obvious?)

Post by ParmaJon »

Katazuki wrote:Almost last place dang it. I was so close! Why did you have to get penalized, Parma?
In the discord i accidently revealed the level mine was based on cuz i showed a gif of my room in the spot in between the deadline finishing and the late penalty being announced, plus it was like a week late so i had it coming.
Go to bed

Emral

Post by Emral »

Lunatic Quark wrote:isn't it just grand when you suddenly think of an idea for a level after the results are posted and the contest has long been over?

anyway, looking forward to when this gets released, I'm genuinely curious as to what some of these levels are like though I doubt I'd be able to beat most of them

also tbf I haven't really figured out how to do that idea anyway
Please, create the level either way. I'd gladly give the level a shot even if it's not for a contest. Playing these kaizo levels was a lot of fun and I think it'd be super neat if there were more smbx kaizo levels to play!
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

Hey so now that I'm not being rushed rushing to get this posted before work I'd like to just take a moment to thank all of you crazy participants in this, my even crazier co-judges, and Pyro specifically for pressuring me into actually acting on this weird contest idea and helping out a lot in the planning phases. Overall we got a pretty fantastic crop of levels out of this and I'm super glad to have run it. Thanks, guys, you all did good. :3

Anyway, now that the contest is over it is of course time to Assemble the Episode. We've got some neat stuff in store for you guys to Enhance Your Kaizo X3 Experience, and will be getting together some exciting and/or painful postgame content for even more kaizo fun.
I'm... not quite sure how long it'll all take to be perfectly honest, but I'd rather not have an extended period of silence again like during the judging so I'll probably try to have a screenshot posted every few days or something as a sort of teaser. So stay tuned!
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

Yeah it was pretty fun going nuts on a previous level, the gimmick was really what made me want to participate.

oh yeah I guess I won so that's pretty neat too
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
MECHDRAGON777
Up in the Tower floating above Gensokyo lies the true me in reverse.

Post by MECHDRAGON777 »

Sturg wrote:Yeah it was pretty fun going nuts on a previous level, the gimmick was really what made me want to participate.

oh yeah I guess I won so that's pretty neat too
Congratulations on that by the way.

My avartar

I am a SMBX player, and I do not know weather to stay at SuperMarioBrosx.org or at talkhaus.raocow.com honestly.

Mabel
Just west of wierd
https://marbels.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mabel »

Man Sturg is just really good at winning contests huh?
Zyglrox Odyssey wrote:>Postgame
Hey, I still got my level mostly done that I planned for the contest, wanna use it?
Image Image
Emral

Post by Emral »

Hrm so we promised images and teasers but haven't done that so far. Time to fix that! New teasers will be uploaded at the start of each week leading up to the release of the episode. All three of us are a bit busy right now but doing our best to work on this!
Level: "Well of Course You're Invisible; Mario Wasn't In Kingdom Hearts!" by PixelPest

This little gif shows a mod to my deathTracker API which shows the deaths of all three judges in a level. Each of us played through the submissions with deathTracker active and we collected our death data for you to view and laugh at our failures.
JudgeDeath data can be individually toggeled with cheats "showenjl", "showpyro" and "showzygl" for the judges individually, and "showall" to toggle and sync all of them.
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

DANG that's super neat guys.
(now I wished I joined this contest whoops)
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
Rumis
Rumielle

Post by Rumis »

Wow now I wish my level wasn't so easy. That's a neat feature though. Reminds me of Dark Souls if it's visible before you make a jump.
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Are there any estimates on the episode yet?
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

Willhart wrote:Are there any estimates on the episode yet?
Pyro's been kinda super busy lately, I've been distracted by MaGL 3 and we're not sure of the status of some of the postgame stuff, so not yet, I'm afraid. We don't expect to run out of content for our assorted little teasers along the way though. :3
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

Hey sorry we're late on the teaser this week, we've all been busy and our planned content for this week isn't quiiiiiite ready yet.
So instead here's Crumbling Dreamscape, one of the postgame levels.
Emral

Post by Emral »

And here's what we ACTUALLY wanted to show off last week. It's pretty self-explanatory so I won't spend too much time explaining it but... basically, hub load times between deaths are completely eliminated ;)
Level: Fast Food Flight by Cheez8