(shouting)

Make a Good Kaizo Level Contest X3 - RELEASE

would you like to participate in some fun contests? would you like to create some fun contests? well ^_^
Zygl

Make a Good Kaizo Level Contest X3 - RELEASE

Post by Zygl »

Time for the third installment of talkhaus' roughly-annual SMBX kaizo contest...
Make a Good Kaizo Level X3
(Yes I know the second one's relay's still ongoing but it's close enough to finished that I don't really care personally.)

Download the episode HERE.

So, in order to spice things up a bit this time and not step on PixelPest's toes and also keep peeps from sending in pre-made levels we're gonna be instituting a gimmick - instead of just going with whatever ideas you have, there's instead an interesting limitation. Your level must be a kaizo remix of a level of your choice from MaGL X or X2. Think the Umbra missions from Pyro's improved MaGL X hub except much, much harder of course.

The Rules
  • You can work with any level from the compiled episodes of MaGL X and X2, barring any submission of your own and the following exceptions:
    ispoilers are improved hub spoilers.
    MaGLX1
    - Yacht of Opinions
    - Versus Disgruntledgammler
    - Koopa Devil Mansion (Flandre fight)
    - The Squid King
    - Make a Good Boss Contest
    - Do You Remember raocow's MaGLX LP? Yeah, this is like that
    - [ispoiler]Anything Can Happen[/ispoiler]
    - [ispoiler]Supergammler Castle[/ispoiler]
    - [ispoiler]Credits[/ispoiler]
    - All Umbra Missions

MaGLX2
    - ALL MAFAB LEVELS
    - Port of Impressions
    - vs.pewdiepie
    - I Believe That Wart is Workable and I Feel Very Strongly About This
    - C'mon! C'MON! Daahh! Fart! Peanuts! Crackerjack! ALL THE FOOD YOU CAN FIND! YOU CAN PUT IT IN YOUR MOUTH, AND DIGEST IT!
    - Yacht of Opinions
    - Horikawa's Not Done Yet
    - Do You Remember raocow's MaGLX2 LP? Yeah, this is like that
    - MaGL Redux
    - The Unfortunate Captain of the Ship
    - Otherworldly Stroll
    - Operation: Demon
    - Guidance Rocks
    - Super Bowser Bros.
    - Gaseous Lizard
    - The Super Sexy Pyramid Trip
    - Heavy and Metal
    - Return to Zebes
    - Juxtaposition
    - You Only Have Yourself to Blame
    - Ooh, Ogre Trainee War. What Be Saloon's Stage Babe? Mah General Quarry Boy Gluing No Bloop Birds.
    - The Power of LUA!

tl;dr All boss-only levels, relay levels, SMBX 2.0 reveal levels, and levels that are themselves remixes of other levels
  • You may only submit one .lvl file. Consequently, you cannot do both halves of Lava Rockway - however, you may do either half on its own. Also note that while the Flandre battle of Koopa Devil Mansion is off-limits, the main level is fair game.
  • Do not hint at what level you've chosen anywhere in the level, its filename, the level name field in the editor, or any interactions with the judges. Doing so is an immediate -10 points from your final score.
  • Any and all abuse of glitches and engine exploits is ABSOLUTELY fair game, but please explain anything you make use of in your level beyond the most basic of things in a .txt file in your submission.
  • LunaLua is allowed.
  • Please implement your own character filters. Trust me, even Lua-based filtering is really not difficult at all to implement. You can do it.
  • As always, make sure all your level's end goals are SMB3 exit stars. You can include as many stars as you'd like, but remember that SMBX's save format can only count one star per section per level.
  • Your level must be completable without inputting cheats. If none of the judges can do so and cannot determine if it's actually possible, you'll need to prove it yourself in some fashion.
The Scoring
Difficulty - 20 points
  • It's a kaizo contest, of course we're judging difficulty.
  • Do note that this is not a flat "how difficult is this level out of 20" value. We will be judging based on both how difficult the level is and how well-executed and fun (for a kaizo-playing audience) it is.
Familiarity - 10 points
  • Quite simply, how well does your level evoke its source material? Can we tell what level you're working from just by looking (and maybe refreshing our memories of the original if need be)?
Distinction - 10 points
  • We're not looking for carbon copies of the original levels except now there's Rinkas. How well does your level stand out as a remix without deviating too much from the source material?
Creativity - 10 points
  • Self-explanatory, really.
The Judges
  • Zyglrox Odyssey
  • Pyro
  • Enjl
Submitting Your Level
Name your .lvl file your username.
Zip it up along with any custom assets used, a .txt containing your level name and your source level, and (if applicable) a .txt explaining any noteworthy glitches or exploits required in your level. (Please make sure which .txt is which is clearly marked if you need two.)
Upload the .zip to a file hosting service (Mediafire, Google Drive, etc.) and PM me the link.

Deadline
June 30th, 2016, 11:59:59 PM EST July 10th, 2016, 11:59:59 PM EDT
The deadline has passed, for every day past July 11th EDT your score will be deducted by 3 points
Submissions are closed. :c

Participants
7NameSamImageImageImage
AceImageImageImage
cheez8ImageImageImage
KatazukiImageImageImage
MECHDRAGON777ImageImageImage
NerxImageImageImage
Ness-WednesdayImageImageImage
NightSparrowImageImageImage
ParmaJonImageImage
PixelPestImageImageImage
RumisImageImageImage
Septentrion PleiadesImageImageImage
Skulldug13ImageImageImage
SturgImageImageImage
VeruchaiImageImageImage
WillhartImageImageImage

THE RESULTS
Last edited by Zygl 7 years ago, edited 35 times in total.
MECHDRAGON777
Up in the Tower floating above Gensokyo lies the true me in reverse.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Make a Good Kaizo Level Contest X3

Post by MECHDRAGON777 »

I would like to join if allowed, but otherwise, I would like to judge.

My avartar

I am a SMBX player, and I do not know weather to stay at SuperMarioBrosx.org or at talkhaus.raocow.com honestly.

7NameSam
hey
Pronouns: they/them

Post by 7NameSam »

I'm Gonna Join!
ParmaJon
Moose in a suit
First name: Jon (a bit too obvious?)

Post by ParmaJon »

I'll try
Go to bed

Zygl

Post by Zygl »

UPDATE:
Enjl volunteered to judge over on the SMBX forums and insists he is indeed interested, so we've got our third judge! Do still feel free to express interest anyway though, on the off chance one of our judges gives up and we need a replacement. :​P
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

I'm joining this btw
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

I'm going to irresponsibly attempt to join this. No results promised `~`
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
Katazuki
wawa
Pronouns: whomst

Post by Katazuki »

Oh man, I wish I could join this, but I'm on vacay until the 20th of June and slapping SMBX on a notebook/tablet hybrid sounds like a thing.

Hopefully you guys get some interesting submissions though!

Who has the most?
Mabel
Just west of wierd
https://marbels.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mabel »

a new head also means a new tail.

i'll join, but this year i'd like for someone else to do the hub(once X2's relay is passed to me i'll be finishing up the X2's hub and calling it a day

it totally has nothing to do with me working 40-60 hours /week

), so if you wanna do it this year now is a good time to say so o3o.
Image Image
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

UPDATE: We just realised we forgot to ban Horikawa's Not Done Yet. This has been rectified.
i'll join, but this year i'd like for someone else to do the hub(once X2's relay is passed to me i'll be finishing up the X2's hub and calling it a day

Pyro wants to do the hub, so unless she changes her mind in some fashion we've got that covered. Peeps can go ahead and offer if they want though, in case that were to happen.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

I'll try to make something for this before I forget.
MECHDRAGON777

Post by MECHDRAGON777 »

Zyglrox Odyssey wrote:UPDATE: We just realised we forgot to ban Horikawa's Not Done Yet. This has been rectified.

Pyro wants to do the hub, so unless she changes her mind in some fashion we've got that covered. Peeps can go ahead and offer if they want though, in case that were to happen.
I will offer if that is okay.

Edit: Can we have more than one source?

My avartar

I am a SMBX player, and I do not know weather to stay at SuperMarioBrosx.org or at talkhaus.raocow.com honestly.

Zygl

Post by Zygl »

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:Edit: Can we have more than one source?
No, your level will be judged based on its merits as a remix of one source level. Nothing's technically stopping you from incorporating stuff from another level, but you'd almost certainly be deviating a bit too far from the source in doing so so I strongly advise against doing it.
King of GETs

Post by King of GETs »

I'd like to join.

We can't use boss levels, but are we allowed to make bosses themselves, or are bosses off-limits?
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

King of GETs wrote:I'd like to join.

We can't use boss levels, but are we allowed to make bosses themselves, or are bosses off-limits?
Bosses themselves are entirely okay - we couldn't too well ban something a fair number of levels have at the end, now, could we? - but it's of course worth noting that adding one where there wasn't one already may or may not actually be a good idea.
King of GETs

Post by King of GETs »

Zyglrox Odyssey wrote:
King of GETs wrote:I'd like to join.

Bosses themselves are entirely okay - we couldn't too well ban something a fair number of levels have at the end, now, could we? - but it's of course worth noting that adding one where there wasn't one already may or may not actually be a good idea.
Okay, that's good to know.
repairmanman

Post by repairmanman »

I'd love to join, but I can't seem to find a download for magl x the first.

Am I looking in the wrong places?
Nothing to see here
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023
Pronouns: she/her

Post by snoruntpyro »

repairmanman wrote:I'd love to join, but I can't seem to find a download for magl x the first.

Am I looking in the wrong places?
Here
Rumis
Rumielle

Post by Rumis »

I'm joining too! Let's aim for the 272 Kaizo levels amirite?
MECHDRAGON777

Post by MECHDRAGON777 »

I sadly will not be able to play using lua for a few months, but I am still going to try to participate.

My avartar

Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Getting closer to done. There is still quite a bit of time to add extra polish.
Drei
First name: Stirling

Post by Drei »

I'm gonna try. Heard about it in raocow's video. My motherboard died a week ago and I'm still waiting for it back, estimated for in a week. :( Running Ubuntu and AFAIK there was a way to run SMBX in Linux. Never actually made a level in it before!
MECHDRAGON777

Post by MECHDRAGON777 »

Drei wrote:I'm gonna try. Heard about it in raocow's video. My motherboard died a week ago and I'm still waiting for it back, estimated for in a week. :( Running Ubuntu and AFAIK there was a way to run SMBX in Linux. Never actually made a level in it before!
That makes three hard-drive crashes I know about now. (Or relating to it.) I had it happen to me two or three days ago, and a friend of mine had it happen to him about a month ago or so. I lost all files on my own PC, but I am still in this contest. Just waiting for a friend to send me some graphics and files since I can not get access to MaGLX or MaGLX 2. (I only have access to what I can fit on a flashdrive that is 64GB in size. I was not able to back up anything before the crash either, so this is not the only contest I got hurt in. Eitherway, good luck, and I hope none of the judges can beat my level.

My avartar

Drei
First name: Stirling

Post by Drei »

Oh, that's crap. I'm still gonna try, but Ubuntu 16.04 is giving me a struggle with my controller and SMBX. Hopefully you're happy with what you send in. :)
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

About a week and a half left - still plenty of time to make a level!