(shouting)

Make a Rad Bug - CONTEST FINISHED. THANKS GUYS!

would you like to participate in some fun contests? would you like to create some fun contests? well ^_^
Bellmoore
Mostly quiet

Re: Make a Rad Bug - CONTEST CLOSED. List of Participants Posted (make sure you're on it!)

Post by Bellmoore »

My bug is also built for gathering points, though it does go into turret mode when it finds the strategic node.
Clyceer
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Make a Rad Bug - CONTEST CLOSED. List of Participants Posted (make sure you're on it!)

Post by Clyceer »

For the record, the other two matches tonight would go the same way whether things were based on score or survival, as one might expect. Fairly obvious results, one might say. I did check the score screens, though, just to be sure.

Anyway, I'm hoping it's not too unreasonable to request that the tournament is actually played by the original rules, and was thinking it would be good to correct early, before there are too many matches to review.

Edit: I personally would also be fine with judging each of the 3 games of a match individually rather than summing the scores across them, I'll remark. It's just the change from score to survival that bothers me.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Horikawa Otane wrote:
Clyceer wrote:For the record, the other two matches tonight would go the same way whether things were based on score or survival, as one might expect. Fairly obvious results, one might say. I did check the score screens, though, just to be sure.

Anyway, I'm hoping it's not too unreasonable to request that the tournament is actually played by the original rules, and was thinking it would be good to correct early, before there are too many matches to review.

Edit: I personally would also be fine with judging each of the 3 games of a match individually rather than summing the scores across them, I'll remark. It's just the change from score to survival that bothers me.
Bellmoore wrote:My bug is also built for gathering points, though it does go into turret mode when it finds the strategic node.
Nah you're right - no rule changes! I'll rerun the Rednaxela match next session and go by the original rules for the result.

I was mostly worried about the first stream being 'boring' and so I cancelled the matches when they started going nowhere. BUT you're absolutely right and since people did design bugs AROUND getting points... I can't change that rule.
Yeah, I still think that the nodes are kind of boring due to the standing still aspect, the randomized starting location of them, and being really easy to make bugs for. I feel like basing the scoring to getting points is fine. I don't think it was stated anywhere, if those strategy nodes will be used or not though.

Edit: Mostly so we get to see bugs fight more and shoot things.
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

Oops, missed the first stream.. maybe I should get on discordhaus so I can know about this stuff, also Horikawa my name is pronounced the second way you said it, with a Z sound at the beginning. :P
Clyceer

Post by Clyceer »

Horikawa Otane wrote: Nah you're right - no rule changes! I'll rerun the Rednaxela match next session and go by the original rules for the result.

I was mostly worried about the first stream being 'boring' and so I cancelled the matches when they started going nowhere. BUT you're absolutely right and since people did design bugs AROUND getting points... I can't change that rule.
Thanks for listening. And if the matches are going nowhere you can at least turn the speed way up.
Willhart wrote: Yeah, I still think that the nodes are kind of boring due to the standing still aspect, the randomized starting location of them, and being really easy to make bugs for. I feel like basing the scoring to getting points is fine. I don't think it was stated anywhere, if those strategy nodes will be used or not though.

The bugs are already coded. We'll see the same amount of fighting and shooting either way.

Edit: And while it wasn't explicitly stated whether strategy nodes would be used or not, it was said the matches would be run under the default rules, which don't disable the nodes.
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota

Post by raekuul »

I didn't program around the strategy node; it was more or less just "move in a random direction and shoot anything in range, unless you're almost out of fuel in which case self-destruct"
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Bellmoore
Mostly quiet

Post by Bellmoore »

Willhart wrote:Yeah, I still think that the nodes are kind of boring due to the standing still aspect, the randomized starting location of them, and being really easy to make bugs for. I feel like basing the scoring to getting points is fine. I don't think it was stated anywhere, if those strategy nodes will be used or not though.

I think that two to four bugs seeking the same point leads to more heated fighting than four randomly wandering ones.
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Bellmoore wrote:
Willhart wrote:Yeah, I still think that the nodes are kind of boring due to the standing still aspect, the randomized starting location of them, and being really easy to make bugs for. I feel like basing the scoring to getting points is fine. I don't think it was stated anywhere, if those strategy nodes will be used or not though.

I think that two to four bugs seeking the same point leads to more heated fighting than four randomly wandering ones.
Not sure on that. With 4 bugs we mostly just saw the person who first got to the node win.
Clyceer wrote:Edit: And while it wasn't explicitly stated whether strategy nodes would be used or not, it was said the matches would be run under the default rules, which don't disable the nodes.
True. Hopefully it will still be entertaining. I did find the first round fun.
djrk16

Post by djrk16 »

Ack! I missed the stream! Regardless, I'm happy to see that my bug did well and I'm glad the commenters liked it :D
I have no issues with having a rematch, and I should be able to join the stream next time.
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

I hope things work out.
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Horikawa Otane wrote:My plane got delayed so I need to move today to next Sunday at 6:30 EST.
Ah it happens. Is the other stream is moved too?
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Horikawa Otane wrote:
Willhart wrote:
Horikawa Otane wrote:My plane got delayed so I need to move today to next Sunday at 6:30 EST.
Ah it happens. Is the other stream is moved too?
There were a number of technical issues (I couldn't even stream), so I will be moving this to Thursday at 10pm EST.
I was talking about the smbx level stream. I guess this meant the contest stream from today.
Bellmoore
Mostly quiet

Post by Bellmoore »

Horikawa Otane wrote:I'm moving the time to 5pm EST on Thursday because I'm an idiot and didn't realize I had stuff to do Thursday night.
Yay, I don't have to wake up early on Friday! 8h difference in timezones is rough.
Mikkofier
What about Ron magic?
First name: Mikko J. Fuzzygrumbles

Post by Mikkofier »

Translator's note: Kirppu means flea.
Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.
-Kurt Vonnegut
Context-free Supper Mario Broth Roulette! NOTE: Potential Jumpscare warning!
Avatar source (for most of them).
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Mikkofier wrote:Translator's note: Kirppu means flea.
I thought it was a "tick" bug. Would have been funnier.
Mikkofier
What about Ron magic?
First name: Mikko J. Fuzzygrumbles

Post by Mikkofier »

Willhart wrote:
Not smart enough for that level of wordplay, I just went "dur, what's a finnish bug?"
It's a shame, "Punkki" would've been a cool name.
Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.
-Kurt Vonnegut
Context-free Supper Mario Broth Roulette! NOTE: Potential Jumpscare warning!
Avatar source (for most of them).
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Mikkofier wrote:
Willhart wrote:
Not smart enough for that level of wordplay, I just went "dur, what's a finnish bug?"
It's a shame, "Punkki" would've been a cool name.
Ah I must have mixed Kirppu and Punkki together. Kirppu is pretty nice too. My bug was called snowFlake by the similar reasoning. Though maybe it'd been more fun as "lumiHiutale", at least for listening people try to pronounce it.
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Pronouns: they/them
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Post by Rednaxela »

Pyro wrote:<stuff said in the most recent stream about only 4 random values>
Actually Pyro, you can get random values that are not just 1/2/3/4, if you use a "cmath" statement. My bug with the big long lines used that a little (though not because of the floating point values, just to tiebreak some binary decisions in part of the formulas).
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Rednaxela wrote:
Pyro wrote:<stuff said in the most recent stream about only 4 random values>
Actually Pyro, you can get random values that are not just 1/2/3/4, if you use a "cmath" statement. My bug with the big long lines used that a little (though not because of the floating point values, just to tiebreak some binary decisions in part of the formulas).
It'd be nice if some bugs were posted here to after the contest. Would probably learn a lot from different designs.
Clyceer

Post by Clyceer »

I could definitely post my code here after the contest. Also, I only included a password because it seemed standard to do so. To save the trouble of breaking it, it's "YouMonster" (without the quotes). My throwaway passwords tend to be video game references. ("I think we can put our differences behind us. For science. You monster.")
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Looks like all of the old episodes have already disappeared from twitch. Good to be present if you don't want to miss them.
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Horikawa Otane wrote:
Horikawa Otane wrote:The next contest stream will be next Sunday around 5pm EST.
Obviously this didn't happen. There was an emergency with a friend and I had to go help. Unfortunately, this overlapped with the time I had intended to stream.

The real next stream will be moved to tomorrow at 8pm EST.
Sorry to hear. I hope things turned out better.
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

It could be neat to have the list of current contestants left here too.
neuronic

Post by neuronic »

I'm really enjoying the tournament! I usually catch the video's a day or two after they are posted.

Little known fact, my inspiration for this game was an old Origin Systems Game called OMEGA https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_(video_game) I played the hell out of it on my C64 back in the late 80's!

I never really had the chance to observe users navigate my games user interface. Most of its design was based on what made sense to me, I've learned a lot of lessons since the 90's, the 3D engine was a big update I did for it around 2003 and a tweak here and there since then (mostly done when I localized it for a company in China). It's kind of painful to watch the old school way I patched my menus together! Many options were requested back when it was new by players in the old tournament forums. :) I'm glad you figured out the check box for the IFF disable option!

The strategy node has its settings on the 'Music video and other settings' button. There is an option to define its position (looks like you had the center location which is the default) or un-check it to make it random. I look forward to seeing how it all turns out! If any of the participants want to send me their Cybug's after this is over I can add them to the monthly tournament on the TacticalNeuronics.com site. No prizes for winning, just the satisfaction of seeing your bug win and collect awards (if it can!) Just email them to John.Reder@TacticalNeuronics.com the tournament results link is here: http://tacticalneuronics.com/content/Results.asp - It's battles are automated but I have to kick it off manually so the execution date moves around a bit.

John Reder
Tactical Neuronics
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

I sent my big to the thing to see the world and sail the internet. Also next one of these was mentioned to be on Tuesday again.