(shouting)

Make a Rad Bug - CONTEST FINISHED. THANKS GUYS!

would you like to participate in some fun contests? would you like to create some fun contests? well ^_^
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Re: Make a Rad Bug - CONTEST CLOSED. List of Participants Posted (make sure you're on it!)

Post by Willhart »

Oh awesome. I wonder if I can get to top 10.
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Re: Make a Rad Bug - CONTEST CLOSED. List of Participants Posted (make sure you're on it!)

Post by Rixithechao »

Huh, really expected more entries.
Well, if not top 10, here's hoping for at least top 15!
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

top 27 here I come
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Sturg wrote:top 27 here I come
in a shocking upset one of the participants undergoes mitosis during contest and divides into two identical copies, leaving Sturg in 28th place
Mikkofier
What about Ron magic?
First name: Mikko J. Fuzzygrumbles
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Mikkofier »

So what's the estimate for when this thing officially starts?
Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.
-Kurt Vonnegut
Context-free Supper Mario Broth Roulette! NOTE: Potential Jumpscare warning!
Avatar source (for most of them).
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Might have to write some things down before I forget.
castlepokemetroid

Post by castlepokemetroid »

Has a thing been thung for this thing?

I kinda forgot about this thing and decided to check up on it.
-castlepokemetroid

I has raomations here
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

castlepokemetroid wrote:Has a thing been thung for this thing?

I kinda forgot about this thing and decided to check up on it.
Horikawa Otane wrote:
Mikkofier wrote:So what's the estimate for when this thing officially starts?
My guess is early July? If not, it'll be mid-late August.
Not much yet at least.
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Horikawa Otane wrote:It'll be mid August. Around the 22nd or so. I'd do it earlier, but I'm travelling a lot and can't reasonably stream on my laptop.
This could be soon then.
Le Neveu de Rameau

Horikawa Otane wrote:I plan to make a video on this soon. It'll probably be the first week or two of September.
Can we look forward to a frenetic editing style, hokey, computer-generated explosions and a pitch reduction/reverb effect on your voice to help build the hype? Bonus points for ending the video with an insect-based pun about the devastating (implied to mean "devastatingly awesome") effect the match will have on the viewer's sanity, punctuated with a gigantic, final explosion which engulfs the entire screen, possibly destroying the three-dimensional, floating title of the event in the process.
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota

Post by raekuul »

So how many times did my bug screw over someone's shot at the championship?
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Mikkofier
What about Ron magic?

Post by Mikkofier »

How many times did my bug screw its own shot at the championship?
Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.
-Kurt Vonnegut
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

How many times did my bug even try to shoot?
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

We'll see once it starts.
Clyceer

Post by Clyceer »

Was there a status update on this at some point? I haven't been catching most of Horikawa's twitch streams...
Mikkofier
What about Ron magic?

Post by Mikkofier »

Horikawa tends to stream around times when I'm asleep, so I wouldn't know.
-Kurt Vonnegut
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

I've seen most of the streams so far, and I don't think it was mentioned too much. I believe it was originally meant to be over by now though, so maybe it's this or next week. I wonder how long it'll take with that list of participants.
Le Neveu de Rameau

Let us not discount the possibility that we've all been duped Mega Man 6-style into building a robot army for Horikawa so she may conquer the world. As for the now doomed-to-be-forever-unclaimed prizes, she doubtless printed them out with her 3D printer and stashed them in a large armored building with a gigantic letter P divided by two vertical lines positioned above the entrance so that she may swim in them, Scrooge McDuck-style, all the while chortling to herself in fond remembrance of her masterful malfeasances.
Clyceer

Post by Clyceer »

Horikawa Otane wrote:
Clyceer wrote:Was there a status update on this at some point? I haven't been catching most of Horikawa's twitch streams...
Status update will be this Friday. I had intended to do last weekend, but medical things popped up and I was out for a lot of it. I'm hoping to do the first rounds this Saturday.
Alright, good to hear things are upcoming. Looking forward to the matches.
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota

Post by raekuul »

Le Neveu de Rameau wrote:Let us not discount the possibility that we've all been duped Mega Man 6-style into building a robot army for Horikawa so she may conquer the world. As for the now doomed-to-be-forever-unclaimed prizes, she doubtless printed them out with her 3D printer and stashed them in a large armored building with a gigantic letter P divided by two vertical lines positioned above the entrance so that she may swim in them, Scrooge McDuck-style, all the while chortling to herself in fond remembrance of her masterful malfeasances.
Given my submission, I don't think that would be very wise. Or healthy.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Clyceer

Post by Clyceer »

raekuul wrote:
Le Neveu de Rameau wrote:Let us not discount the possibility that we've all been duped Mega Man 6-style into building a robot army for Horikawa so she may conquer the world. As for the now doomed-to-be-forever-unclaimed prizes, she doubtless printed them out with her 3D printer and stashed them in a large armored building with a gigantic letter P divided by two vertical lines positioned above the entrance so that she may swim in them, Scrooge McDuck-style, all the while chortling to herself in fond remembrance of her masterful malfeasances.
Given my submission, I don't think that would be very wise. Or healthy.
Given that the rules of the contest result in robots that cannot distinguish between allies and enemies, you could probably say that about anyone's submission. :)

...unless for some reason someone submitted a bot that just moves, I guess? I mean, I still foresee issues with conquering the world like that, but at least it wouldn't be a total disaster.
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

You can still design patterns that avoid each other on most scenarios.
Veruchai
Theoretically invisible

Post by Veruchai »

Horikawa Otane wrote:So, I'm hoping to do the first bug contest thing this Sunday? Probably around 5pm EST.
From the Armville video description.
Decided to copy this here for those without subscriptions like myself.
If you would otherwise be offline tomorrow, maybe try to check in around that time and see if it is on?

I'm basically offline till then so I literally can't wait for Horikawa to comment. :3
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

It could be a good idea to invite the people who participated more directly too. They might not check the threads too often.
Clyceer

Post by Clyceer »

So after watching the stream, I must say I'm disappointed by the change in the rules after the bugs are in. The original announcement video, at a timestamp of 4:50 ( https://youtu.be/PFX9fxacGcQ?t=4m50s ) says "The winner of the match will go to the highest score of both bugs combined". This matters because of the strategy node, the yellow circle which appears in the arena. Standing it is worth points. Red's bug tonight appeared to be caught in a "trap" because it had been intentionally programmed to stand in the strategy node to gather points. It's not any sort of trap and the bug is still allowed to move at will.

Going to the past broadcast ( https://www.twitch.tv/horikawaotane/v/92690458 ) so I could actually look at the score (49:26 in the video), which was clicked past pretty quickly, round 3's scores were:
rHunter: 10318
Kraudbug: 1256
rHunter: 587
Kraudbug: -9

After gathering a massive amount of points from the strategy node and earning what should have been a landslide victory for team Red, in that game this was judged in the other direction because the rules were changed so that only survival mattered except in the event of a tie.

On score, team Red did win game 1 (44:14 for the score screen), although it may have been influenced by cancelling the match early. I don't know for sure. Maybe one of the Kraudbugs would have shot the other if the match had gone on longer, and I think that may have resulted in a net gain in points, but possibly not enough. (team scores were 6978 Red to 4829 KraudBug at time of match cancellation)
On score, Kraudbug did win game 2 (47:28 for the score screen, with 2272 KraudBug team points compared to 1317 for Red)

So... overall, I'd have given the win to team Red. Either because they won 2 of the games or because their total score across all three was higher (19200 for Red to 8348)

There are, of course, still rewards for killing off one's opponents: it's another source of points and stops them from gathering points.

Anyway, this mostly matters to me because I also have a bug that tries to navigate to the strategy node and defend it. I would not have chosen that strategy if it had not been in the rules the score mattered.

(edited to have more scoring information so there'd be sufficient info to show that in this case it doesn't matter whether scores were summed across the three games of the match or whether it was a best of 3 with each game judged individually)
Last edited by Clyceer 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.