smbx communityirc.cat.biosmw central

Make a Rad Bug - CONTEST FINISHED. THANKS GUYS!

would you like to participate in some fun contests? would you like to create some fun contests? well ^_^
Clyceer
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Make a Rad Bug - CONTEST CLOSED. List of Participants Posted (make sure you're on it!)

Postby Clyceer » 1 year ago

Horikawa Otane wrote:
Clyceer wrote:Was there a status update on this at some point? I haven't been catching most of Horikawa's twitch streams...
Status update will be this Friday. I had intended to do last weekend, but medical things popped up and I was out for a lot of it. I'm hoping to do the first rounds this Saturday.
Alright, good to hear things are upcoming. Looking forward to the matches.

raekuul
X&BUTT
First name: Pokota

Re: Make a Rad Bug - CONTEST CLOSED. List of Participants Posted (make sure you're on it!)

Postby raekuul » 1 year ago

Le Neveu de Rameau wrote:Let us not discount the possibility that we've all been duped Mega Man 6-style into building a robot army for Horikawa so she may conquer the world. As for the now doomed-to-be-forever-unclaimed prizes, she doubtless printed them out with her 3D printer and stashed them in a large armored building with a gigantic letter P divided by two vertical lines positioned above the entrance so that she may swim in them, Scrooge McDuck-style, all the while chortling to herself in fond remembrance of her masterful malfeasances.
Given my submission, I don't think that would be very wise. Or healthy.

Clyceer

Postby Clyceer » 1 year ago

raekuul wrote:
Le Neveu de Rameau wrote:Let us not discount the possibility that we've all been duped Mega Man 6-style into building a robot army for Horikawa so she may conquer the world. As for the now doomed-to-be-forever-unclaimed prizes, she doubtless printed them out with her 3D printer and stashed them in a large armored building with a gigantic letter P divided by two vertical lines positioned above the entrance so that she may swim in them, Scrooge McDuck-style, all the while chortling to herself in fond remembrance of her masterful malfeasances.
Given my submission, I don't think that would be very wise. Or healthy.
Given that the rules of the contest result in robots that cannot distinguish between allies and enemies, you could probably say that about anyone's submission. :)

...unless for some reason someone submitted a bot that just moves, I guess? I mean, I still foresee issues with conquering the world like that, but at least it wouldn't be a total disaster.

Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Postby Willhart » 1 year ago

You can still design patterns that avoid each other on most scenarios.
Willhart wrote:Being a fan means... blind obsession.... She does not have to accept it... I thought it brought me closer to her.
Willhart wrote:[She] is planning on joining the patreon discord thing on advanced group, and that likely means that I'll listen trough every single one of those as they happen...

Part of me feels like writing her name over and over again
...I should not give up.
💔

Veruchai
Theoretically invisible

Postby Veruchai » 1 year ago

Horikawa Otane wrote:So, I'm hoping to do the first bug contest thing this Sunday? Probably around 5pm EST.
From the Armville video description.
Decided to copy this here for those without subscriptions like myself.
If you would otherwise be offline tomorrow, maybe try to check in around that time and see if it is on?

I'm basically offline till then so I literally can't wait for Horikawa to comment. :3

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess
First name: Servalan

Postby Horikawa Otane » 11 months ago

Veruchai wrote:
Horikawa Otane wrote:So, I'm hoping to do the first bug contest thing this Sunday? Probably around 5pm EST.
From the Armville video description.
Decided to copy this here for those without subscriptions like myself.
If you would otherwise be offline tomorrow, maybe try to check in around that time and see if it is on?

I'm basically offline till then so I literally can't wait for Horikawa to comment. :3
Because of SMBX 2.0 stuff, I had to not do this last weekend. But this Sunday around 4pm EST is definitely on.
Watch my Butt on the YouTubes
raocow wrote:Dang it Oyster this level is not called Peregrine Penguin and the Soft Bon-Bon, it clearly says Ghost House with a Ghost in It!

Willhart
Banned

Postby Willhart » 11 months ago

It could be a good idea to invite the people who participated more directly too. They might not check the threads too often.
Willhart wrote:Being a fan means... blind obsession.... She does not have to accept it... I thought it brought me closer to her.
Willhart wrote:[She] is planning on joining the patreon discord thing on advanced group, and that likely means that I'll listen trough every single one of those as they happen...

...I should not give up.
💔

Clyceer

Postby Clyceer » 11 months ago

So after watching the stream, I must say I'm disappointed by the change in the rules after the bugs are in. The original announcement video, at a timestamp of 4:50 ( https://youtu.be/PFX9fxacGcQ?t=4m50s ) says "The winner of the match will go to the highest score of both bugs combined". This matters because of the strategy node, the yellow circle which appears in the arena. Standing it is worth points. Red's bug tonight appeared to be caught in a "trap" because it had been intentionally programmed to stand in the strategy node to gather points. It's not any sort of trap and the bug is still allowed to move at will.

Going to the past broadcast ( https://www.twitch.tv/horikawaotane/v/92690458 ) so I could actually look at the score (49:26 in the video), which was clicked past pretty quickly, round 3's scores were:
rHunter: 10318
Kraudbug: 1256
rHunter: 587
Kraudbug: -9

After gathering a massive amount of points from the strategy node and earning what should have been a landslide victory for team Red, in that game this was judged in the other direction because the rules were changed so that only survival mattered except in the event of a tie.

On score, team Red did win game 1 (44:14 for the score screen), although it may have been influenced by cancelling the match early. I don't know for sure. Maybe one of the Kraudbugs would have shot the other if the match had gone on longer, and I think that may have resulted in a net gain in points, but possibly not enough. (team scores were 6978 Red to 4829 KraudBug at time of match cancellation)
On score, Kraudbug did win game 2 (47:28 for the score screen, with 2272 KraudBug team points compared to 1317 for Red)

So... overall, I'd have given the win to team Red. Either because they won 2 of the games or because their total score across all three was higher (19200 for Red to 8348)

There are, of course, still rewards for killing off one's opponents: it's another source of points and stops them from gathering points.

Anyway, this mostly matters to me because I also have a bug that tries to navigate to the strategy node and defend it. I would not have chosen that strategy if it had not been in the rules the score mattered.

(edited to have more scoring information so there'd be sufficient info to show that in this case it doesn't matter whether scores were summed across the three games of the match or whether it was a best of 3 with each game judged individually)
Last edited by Clyceer on 03 Oct 2016, 02:45, edited 1 time in total.

Bellmoore
Mostly quiet

Postby Bellmoore » 11 months ago

My bug is also built for gathering points, though it does go into turret mode when it finds the strategic node.

Clyceer

For the record, the other two matches tonight would go the same way whether things were based on score or survival, as one might expect. Fairly obvious results, one might say. I did check the score screens, though, just to be sure.

Anyway, I'm hoping it's not too unreasonable to request that the tournament is actually played by the original rules, and was thinking it would be good to correct early, before there are too many matches to review.

Edit: I personally would also be fine with judging each of the 3 games of a match individually rather than summing the scores across them, I'll remark. It's just the change from score to survival that bothers me.

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess

Clyceer wrote:For the record, the other two matches tonight would go the same way whether things were based on score or survival, as one might expect. Fairly obvious results, one might say. I did check the score screens, though, just to be sure.

Anyway, I'm hoping it's not too unreasonable to request that the tournament is actually played by the original rules, and was thinking it would be good to correct early, before there are too many matches to review.

Edit: I personally would also be fine with judging each of the 3 games of a match individually rather than summing the scores across them, I'll remark. It's just the change from score to survival that bothers me.
Bellmoore wrote:My bug is also built for gathering points, though it does go into turret mode when it finds the strategic node.
Nah you're right - no rule changes! I'll rerun the Rednaxela match next session and go by the original rules for the result.

I was mostly worried about the first stream being 'boring' and so I cancelled the matches when they started going nowhere. BUT you're absolutely right and since people did design bugs AROUND getting points... I can't change that rule.
raocow wrote:Dang it Oyster this level is not called Peregrine Penguin and the Soft Bon-Bon, it clearly says Ghost House with a Ghost in It!

Willhart
Banned

Horikawa Otane wrote:
Clyceer wrote:For the record, the other two matches tonight would go the same way whether things were based on score or survival, as one might expect. Fairly obvious results, one might say. I did check the score screens, though, just to be sure.

Bellmoore wrote:My bug is also built for gathering points, though it does go into turret mode when it finds the strategic node.
Nah you're right - no rule changes! I'll rerun the Rednaxela match next session and go by the original rules for the result.

I was mostly worried about the first stream being 'boring' and so I cancelled the matches when they started going nowhere. BUT you're absolutely right and since people did design bugs AROUND getting points... I can't change that rule.
Yeah, I still think that the nodes are kind of boring due to the standing still aspect, the randomized starting location of them, and being really easy to make bugs for. I feel like basing the scoring to getting points is fine. I don't think it was stated anywhere, if those strategy nodes will be used or not though.

Edit: Mostly so we get to see bugs fight more and shoot things.

...I should not give up.
💔

Xirix
The British Palindrome

Postby Xirix » 11 months ago

Oops, missed the first stream.. maybe I should get on discordhaus so I can know about this stuff, also Horikawa my name is pronounced the second way you said it, with a Z sound at the beginning. :P

Clyceer

Horikawa Otane wrote: Nah you're right - no rule changes! I'll rerun the Rednaxela match next session and go by the original rules for the result.

Thanks for listening. And if the matches are going nowhere you can at least turn the speed way up.
Willhart wrote: Yeah, I still think that the nodes are kind of boring due to the standing still aspect, the randomized starting location of them, and being really easy to make bugs for. I feel like basing the scoring to getting points is fine. I don't think it was stated anywhere, if those strategy nodes will be used or not though.

The bugs are already coded. We'll see the same amount of fighting and shooting either way.

Edit: And while it wasn't explicitly stated whether strategy nodes would be used or not, it was said the matches would be run under the default rules, which don't disable the nodes.

raekuul
X&BUTT
First name: Pokota

Postby raekuul » 11 months ago

I didn't program around the strategy node; it was more or less just "move in a random direction and shoot anything in range, unless you're almost out of fuel in which case self-destruct"

Bellmoore
Mostly quiet

Postby Bellmoore » 11 months ago

Willhart wrote:Yeah, I still think that the nodes are kind of boring due to the standing still aspect, the randomized starting location of them, and being really easy to make bugs for. I feel like basing the scoring to getting points is fine. I don't think it was stated anywhere, if those strategy nodes will be used or not though.

I think that two to four bugs seeking the same point leads to more heated fighting than four randomly wandering ones.

Willhart
Banned

Bellmoore wrote:
Willhart wrote:Yeah, I still think that the nodes are kind of boring due to the standing still aspect, the randomized starting location of them, and being really easy to make bugs for. I feel like basing the scoring to getting points is fine. I don't think it was stated anywhere, if those strategy nodes will be used or not though.

I think that two to four bugs seeking the same point leads to more heated fighting than four randomly wandering ones.
Not sure on that. With 4 bugs we mostly just saw the person who first got to the node win.
Clyceer wrote:Edit: And while it wasn't explicitly stated whether strategy nodes would be used or not, it was said the matches would be run under the default rules, which don't disable the nodes.
True. Hopefully it will still be entertaining. I did find the first round fun.

...I should not give up.
💔

djrk16

Postby djrk16 » 11 months ago

Ack! I missed the stream! Regardless, I'm happy to see that my bug did well and I'm glad the commenters liked it :D
I have no issues with having a rematch, and I should be able to join the stream next time.

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess

The next Stream will be 6:30pm EST on Sunday the 9th.

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess

Changing the time to 6:30, but it'll depend on my flight. If my flight is mega delayed or something I may need to cancel.

Willhart
Banned

I hope things work out.

...I should not give up.
💔

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess

My plane got delayed so I need to move today to next Sunday at 6:30 EST.

Willhart
Banned

Horikawa Otane wrote:My plane got delayed so I need to move today to next Sunday at 6:30 EST.
Ah it happens. Is the other stream is moved too?

...I should not give up.
💔

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess

Willhart wrote:
Horikawa Otane wrote:My plane got delayed so I need to move today to next Sunday at 6:30 EST.
There were a number of technical issues (I couldn't even stream), so I will be moving this to Thursday at 10pm EST.

Willhart
Banned

Horikawa Otane wrote:
Willhart wrote:
There were a number of technical issues (I couldn't even stream), so I will be moving this to Thursday at 10pm EST.
I was talking about the smbx level stream. I guess this meant the contest stream from today.

...I should not give up.
💔

Return to “contest center”