(shouting)

Make a Good Mega Man Level Contest (MaGMML)! RESULTS! TIER 5! Congrats RedBlupi!

would you like to participate in some fun contests? would you like to create some fun contests? well ^_^
Penguin Emperor
Omnipotent Feathered Tyrant

Re: Make a Good Mega Man Level Contest (MaGMML)! Signups Open, Levels Due Feb. 18!

Post by Penguin Emperor »

Ok, so I hate to be the one with all the questions here, but I really want to be able to submit something and game maker is making this hard on me. I've done just the bare minimum so far as I followed along in the basic tutorial video, but whenever I go to test out the level it doesn't work. Let me describe what happens: I click either "Run the Game" or "Run the Game in Debug Mode," a little window pops up that says "saving executable" with a progress bar that fills, the entire Game Maker screen disappears (seems like it's minimizing to me), it gets stuck there forever and nothing ever loads. I've looked for assistance online and in other places, but it hasn't worked so far. I know that my Direct X is up-to-date (which one site mentioned), and I've quadruple checked that I did exactly the same stuff as Pyro did in the tutorial video. I'm thinking it must be an issue with my computer, not the program, but I don't really know where to go from here. I'm running Windows 7, in case that's important. Any ideas?
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Make a Good Mega Man Level Contest (MaGMML)! Signups Open, Levels Due Feb. 18!

Post by snoruntpyro »

Penguin Emperor wrote:Ok, so I hate to be the one with all the questions here, but I really want to be able to submit something and game maker is making this hard on me. I've done just the bare minimum so far as I followed along in the basic tutorial video, but whenever I go to test out the level it doesn't work. Let me describe what happens: I click either "Run the Game" or "Run the Game in Debug Mode," a little window pops up that says "saving executable" with a progress bar that fills, the entire Game Maker screen disappears (seems like it's minimizing to me), it gets stuck there forever and nothing ever loads. I've looked for assistance online and in other places, but it hasn't worked so far. I know that my Direct X is up-to-date (which one site mentioned), and I've quadruple checked that I did exactly the same stuff as Pyro did in the tutorial video. I'm thinking it must be an issue with my computer, not the program, but I don't really know where to go from here. I'm running Windows 7, in case that's important. Any ideas?
That sounds normal, except for the not loading thing. Maybe just try waiting longer?? I honestly have no clue what's happening, and I know other people have gotten it to load just fine...
Penguin Emperor

Well, I've tried letting it go longer... like I waited for an hour this morning... and no, it's not loading. At some point, I don't know when, it switched over to where task manager says Game Maker is not responding.
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023

Post by snoruntpyro »

Penguin Emperor wrote:ping
I have an idea. Try making your .gmk an executable. The option is in the top left Files tab iirc.
Penguin Emperor

I tried your suggestion, as well as several other ideas I found online. I'm still having issues with getting game maker to run. :( I'm still going to try and get this in on time, but I'm not sure if it will happen or not.
blue_kirby
Wrong lever!!!
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by blue_kirby »

Is it possible in any way to combine a "hole door" and "ladder" tile (or if there's an object that combines both)? I've been testing my level a bit and I've noticed that I can't climb down a ladder without dying, but if I place "hole door" over it, it gets rid of the ladder.
"That's embarrassing"
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023

Post by snoruntpyro »

blue_kirby wrote:Is it possible in any way to combine a "hole door" and "ladder" tile (or if there's an object that combines both)? I've been testing my level a bit and I've noticed that I can't climb down a ladder without dying, but if I place "hole door" over it, it gets rid of the ladder.
Uncheck the "delete underlying" box in the room editor.
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023

Re: Make a Good Mega Man Level Contest (MaGMML)! Signups Open, Levels Due Feb. 22!

Post by snoruntpyro »

Alright, I've decided to extend the due date to February 22nd.

Also, there will now be prizes for the winners, oh man!!

1st - $20 on Steam/GoG/a service of your choice + a lovely piece of art by Sedron. And maybe something else.
2nd - $15 on Steam/GoG/a service of your choice
3rd - $10 on Steam/GoG/a service of your choice
ParmaJon
Moose in a suit
First name: Jon (a bit too obvious?)

Re: Make a Good Mega Man Level Contest (MaGMML)! Signups Open, Levels Due Feb. 22!

Post by ParmaJon »

:D thanks!
Go to bed

blue_kirby
Wrong lever!!!

Post by blue_kirby »

Thank you! This week is going to be a busy week at work, and I was trying to see about adding some finishing touches to my level. Glad to hear about the deadline.

Also, is this contest going to be LP'd by rao-senpai?
"That's embarrassing"
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023

Post by snoruntpyro »

pings:
ParmaJon wrote:
ping

Zyglrox Odyssey wrote:
ping

8flight wrote:
ping

pholtos wrote:
ping

Sorel wrote:
ping

WestonSmith wrote:
ping

Phoba wrote:
ping

Dustinvgmaster wrote:
ping

blue_kirby wrote:
ping

kumuhmuh wrote:
ping

FourteenthOrder wrote:
ping

aterraformer wrote:
ping

Penguin Emporer wrote:
ping

Slit08 wrote:
ping

saturnyoshi wrote:
ping

LBuncleJoe wrote:
ping

qazcake wrote:
ping

Lunatic Quark wrote:
ping

Skulldug13 wrote:
ping

No Lynch wrote:
ping

Horikawa Otane wrote:
ping

Time is running out! I'll take submissions any time on February 22nd, as long as it's February 22nd in your timezone. Good luck to all of you!
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

Oh wow, there's a due date on this thing? I haven't even got the installer to work properly yet.

Welp, I'll try again next year.
ParmaJon
Moose in a suit

Post by ParmaJon »

Man, I wish i was on the west coast for the few extra hours :P
Go to bed

kumuhmuh
local ice cream dealre

Post by kumuhmuh »

it's about now that i'm beginning to regret attempting to code my own things, ha ha -- i've spent a lot more time bugfixing than actually designing a level! i should be able to get that much finished tonight, though!
ParmaJon
Moose in a suit

Post by ParmaJon »

20 isn't too bad
Go to bed

snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023

Re: Make a Good Mega Man Level Contest (MaGMML)! Judging In Progress!

Post by snoruntpyro »

Alright, the levels have been sent to the other judges! The levels have been super great~ Good luck everyone!
ParmaJon
Moose in a suit

Post by ParmaJon »

No Lynch wrote:Oh man Excitement Abounds!
Super hype!
Go to bed

Friendly Dictator
rad

Post by Friendly Dictator »

good luck everybody!
blue_kirby
Wrong lever!!!

Post by blue_kirby »

Hype is real! :)
"That's embarrassing"
No Lynch
Pronouns: she

Post by No Lynch »

Interestingly, 12 of the 20 entries were all submitted the day (or, let's be honest, late night) of the deadline. Huh.
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

No Lynch wrote:Interestingly, 12 of the 20 entries were all submitted the day (or, let's be honest, late night) of the deadline. Huh.
I am the 40%.
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
kumuhmuh
local ice cream dealre

Post by kumuhmuh »

No Lynch wrote:Interestingly, 12 of the 20 entries were all submitted the day (or, let's be honest, late night) of the deadline. Huh.
i realized i would procrastinate more than i initially thought so at that point i just wanted to get it in to secure the 40th place for myself!
blue_kirby
Wrong lever!!!

Post by blue_kirby »

Random observation, but I just noticed that two of the judges have the same names as characters from "Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends" (well one of them is similar) :p
"That's embarrassing"
ParmaJon
Moose in a suit

Post by ParmaJon »

blue_kirby wrote:Random observation, but I just noticed that two of the judges have the same names as characters from "Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends" (well one of them is similar) :p
Does that mean that pyro had to imagine new friends to be judgee for this contest?!?!? I can feel a scandal coming up.
Go to bed