(shouting)

Make a Good Mega Man Level Contest (MaGMML)! RESULTS! TIER 5! Congrats RedBlupi!

would you like to participate in some fun contests? would you like to create some fun contests? well ^_^
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Make a Good Mega Man Level Contest (MaGMML)! Judging In Progress!

Post by snoruntpyro »

We're still waiting on the last judge. He says he's judged all the levels but for some reason the PM with his judgings didn't come through? I'll have to contact him again.
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023

Re: Make a Good Mega Man Level Contest (MaGMML)! Judging Finished, Results Soon!

Post by snoruntpyro »

WHOOPS I completely forgot about the Talkhaus thread. All updates have been in Skypehaus and Sprites INC. I sincerely apologize for this.

First and foremost, judging is finally done. We had to get a replacement judge because the other judge completely evaporated from existence. Secondly, results will be up sometime this week. There's still a bunch of stuff I have to get done final product-wise, but I think I'll be able to do it by Sunday at the latest. Stay tuned for more updates!
128-Up
Captain Aiwana
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Make a Good Mega Man Level Contest (MaGMML)! Judging Finished, Results Soon!

Post by 128-Up »

If Mario has taught me anything, it's that most things rely on whether there's something good in a nearby box.
Note: If something in the above post is done incorrectly, tell the poster as softly as possible, please.

128-Up's IWBTG Fangame Clear List
If you're wondering what on earth 'aiwana' is, click me!

Image <-- Click it!
Image Pokémon is hard.
ParmaJon
Moose in a suit
First name: Jon (a bit too obvious?)

Post by ParmaJon »

Holy shit finally. I've been going over to sprites inc for progress updates.
Go to bed

snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023

Post by snoruntpyro »

I made my deadline! Everything besides some secret content is done, and the game is playable from last to first place. The results will be revealed in a unique way - you'll see what I mean soon. For now, though, have some teaser screenshots~ (don't open the spoiler if you're trying to avoid spoilers ;p)

Flashman85
Minor Internet Celebrity

Post by Flashman85 »

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE! THE CONTEST RESULTS ARE IN, AND THE PLAYABLE GAME IS READY!

::ahem::

Hi, I'm Flashman85, AKA GeminiLaser, and you might know me as that guy who takes forever to make YouTube videos, livestreams sometimes, and writes a whole lot about Mega Man on his website. The Powers That Be (ie, Pyro) have asked me to announce the contest results in a unique format: by livestreaming the Make a Good Mega Man Level Contest game and revealing the results as we go!

I have a copy of the game and have taken it for a brief test spin. Without spoiling the results, I can tell you that everyone's levels are accessible via a hub world and arranged from last place to first place (broken into tiers for easier navigation). The teleporter that leads to each level is flanked by a sign on one side that tells the name, author, and score of the level; and a letter on the other side that has each judge's specific feedback about the level. There's also a shop, a surprising amount to explore in the hub, a boss at the end of each tier, and an actual story that ties the game together. No matter where you placed in this contest, simply being a part of a game like this is a Very Cool Thing indeed.

I'm coordinating with Pyro about some possible bugfixes/updates before streaming the game, but the plan is to stream mid/late this week in the evening EST, or else on Saturday at a time that's accessible to both west-coast US and Europe. I'll announce an official time on Sprites INC, Talkhaus, my Twitter page, and my Facebook page. The livestream itself will happen on my Twitch channel, and if you follow me there, you'll get an automatic e-mail notification when I go live (in case you miss all the announcements). If you miss any part of the stream, I'll be archiving it on this YouTube channel.

The game is massive, and I'll be going into all of the levels blind (except my own, of course). It's doubtful I'll even be able to sample the whole thing in a single sitting, let alone beat it. It's very likely this will end up being a series of streams, but I'll definitely reveal all the contest results in the first stream to ensure nobody's kept waiting. The game should become available to the general public sometime shortly after the stream, but that's up to Pyro.

So! Get your weapons ready, folks; this is going to be fun. Stay tuned for updates.
No matter where you go, there you are.
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

hype get
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
No Lynch
Pronouns: she

Post by No Lynch »

And thus the saber-toothed cat is officially let out of the bag.

Super excited for the stream!!!!
128-Up
Captain Aiwana

Post by 128-Up »

My goal: Come in the top two-thirds of places
If Mario has taught me anything, it's that most things rely on whether there's something good in a nearby box.
Note: If something in the above post is done incorrectly, tell the poster as softly as possible, please.

128-Up's IWBTG Fangame Clear List
If you're wondering what on earth 'aiwana' is, click me!

Image <-- Click it!
Image Pokémon is hard.
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota

Post by raekuul »

My goal: not be outright ejected from the contest.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023

Post by snoruntpyro »

raekuul wrote:My goal: not be outright ejected from the contest.
(wrong contest)

(you did actually make it into endless though, the results were only posted on sprites inc. ;p)
blue_kirby
Wrong lever!!!

Post by blue_kirby »

I hope I'm at least in the middle tier.
"That's embarrassing"
Flashman85
Minor Internet Celebrity

Post by Flashman85 »

My goal: Don't Game Over on my own level.

Update time! TENTATIVELY, I am leaning toward hosting the revelatory livestream this coming Saturday, May 14, at a time of day when both Europe and west-coast US are likely to be awake. That also allows several days for the word to get around so that nobody misses the announcement because they're having a busy week. How does this sound to everyone?

ALTERNATELY, because everyone has waited so long to hear the results, I can accelerate the timeframe and do this coming Wednesday, May 11, so that you don't have to wait the extra couple days until the weekend. (I can technically also do Thursday and Friday, but at that point, we might as well wait until the weekend.) The drawback to streaming during the week is that anyone with a day job on the west coast will still be at work, and anyone in Europe with school or work in the morning will probably be on the way to bed. Faster notification, but presumably lower turnout, plus the chance that I'll be coming off a rough day of work and might not be at my livestreaming best. Hence why I'm pulling for Saturday, but I have no qualms with revealing the results sooner if the masses demand it.

As a reminder, the stream will be posted to YouTube the next day (with the chat window captured) in case anyone is unable to attend, so we're just looking at the timing and potential attendance of the initial reveal. Let me know what you think!
No Lynch
Pronouns: she

Post by No Lynch »

I say go for Saturday, but that's just because of my personal scheduling interfering with my being able to possibly attend on Wednesday, so take that as you will.
Gyra Solune
the feared barbarian

Post by Gyra Solune »

i look forward to seeing by how many points my level won first place
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

Ohh man, so much hype. It's finally coming.

Both days work for me, and as long as I can catch it live, I'm happy.
I don't really get it but okay
Flashman85
Minor Internet Celebrity

Post by Flashman85 »

Between Sprites INC and Talkhaus, it sounds like we have enough of a consensus to decide on an...

OFFICIAL MAKE A GOOD MEGA MAN LEVEL CONTEST LIVESTREAM DATE!

It's official! I will be livestreaming This coming Saturday, May 14 at 10 AM PST / 1 PM EST / 6 PM GMT on my Twitch channel (Flashman85). Due to the sheer number of levels, it's gonna be a long one—if I spend 5 minutes on each level and take some time to explore the hub, we're looking at around 4 hours, so tune in for however long you're able to join!

I'll post a reminder closer to the date on Sprites INC, Talkhaus, my Facebook page (GeminiLaser), and my Twitter page (nathanielhoover). As before, if you miss any part of the stream, I'll archive the whole thing on this YouTube channel (Flashman85LIVE). Hope to see you there, and spread the word!
Penguin Emperor
Omnipotent Feathered Tyrant

Post by Penguin Emperor »

A few things:

1. I didn't know you were in the Talkhaus, GeminiLaser, but I do love your videos... so cool! Thanks for all the great entertainment value you put into those!

2. I'm still really sad I couldn't get the editor to work, I really wanted to participate and now I feel even worse with how AWESOME this reveal it. Way to go to everyone who participated!

5. (3, sir) 3. I'm totally HYPED to at the very least watch the level reveal on Saturday. Not sure if I'll be home for the beginning of it, but I'll certainly join in!
Flashman85
Minor Internet Celebrity

Post by Flashman85 »

Final reminder! MaGMML contest results are being streamed TODAY (assuming you're reading this TODAY) at 10 AM PST / 1 PM EST / 6 PM GMT on my Twitch channel (Flashman85). Once again, if you miss any part of the stream, I'll archive the whole thing on this YouTube channel (Flashman85LIVE).
Penguin Emperor wrote:I didn't know you were in the Talkhaus, GeminiLaser, but I do love your videos... so cool! Thanks for all the great entertainment value you put into those!
Hey, thanks! I'm not actually in Talkhaus, though. This is just a figment of your imagination generated specifically to inform you of how the contest results will be disseminated. ;)
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023

Re: Make a Good Mega Man Level Contest (MaGMML)! RESULTS! TIER 5

Post by snoruntpyro »

Tier 1 - Levels 20-17
20. No Lynch - Objective: Vain Space (9/100)
  • Pyro (8/100)
    • we have a winner here
    Cheez8 (11/100)
    • Alright, you got me. I thought my game was glitched for a moment. Can't fool me again though!
    Duvi0 (8/100)
    • Watch this get on Steam Greenlight as a masterpiece.
    Blackmore_Darkwing (18/100)
    • what
    MrKyurem (0/100)
    • ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
19. qazcake - City War (14.4/100) (Pyro, Cheez, BD, and MrKyurem's Least Favourite)
  • Pyro (22/100) Cheez8 (21/100)
    • I don't know whether all the invisible holes were on accident or on purpose, and honestly, I'm not sure which would be worse. They really ruined the level.
    Duvi0 (8/100)
    • I refuse.
    Blackmore_Darkwing (12/100)
    • No checkpoints at all, invisible ladders, a number of random invisible holes, very little in the way of actual platforming, a background that really should've been paralaxed, a copious amount of spots where I just used Rush, etc. This level is... not a good one, at all, I definitely did not enjoy this one, it really feels like more of a rush job than anything.
    MrKyurem (9/100)
    • I’m not quite sure how to describe this, but it works kinda like a therapy for me. Occasionally, I look at some old Mario Maker levels, and get sad, because Nintendo patched out the glitch that allows you to have invisible blocks, and blocks that behave like other blocks. When that happens, I load up this level, spend a few minutes on it, and suddenly, I respect their decision.
18. kanna - Level (18.4/100)
  • Pyro (19/100)
    • Uuuuuh....uhh...what to say about this. Uh....hmmm....oh, yeah, you forgot the level exit. Also there was a level I guess?
    Cheez8 (13/100)
    • This was incredibly lacking. Nothing is interesting about a room with one enemy and some floating platforms. Mix and match enemies, change up the terrain, make it look nice. You can do better than this.
    Duvi0 (8/100)
    • You're not supposed to submit the "messing around with the editor" as an actual level, buddy.
    Blackmore_Darkwing (22/100)
    • This is kind of like [censored by Pyro - 15th place], in the sense that its there. Nothing about it sticks out in any good or bad way, it's just... there.
    MrKyurem (30/100)
    • Comment. This level, like its name, seems very unfinished - it was all rather short, and nothing really happened.
17. Zyglrox Odyssey - The Quickening (35.2/100)
  • Pyro (35/100)
    • i liked the music
    Cheez8 (51/100)
    • Y'know, it's probably a good thing there's no music here. A fifteen second loop would get real annoying after the first ten minutes. That was INCREDIBLY satisfying to actually complete, by the way.
    Duvi0 (8/100)
    • No time to waste the player's time!
    Blackmore_Darkwing (25/100)
    • Oh... all right then, another Quick Man level-type. I... can't say I'm impressed with this one. Wasn't a fan of Quick Man's level, nor was I a fan of Rainbow Man's level, and I can't say I'm a huge fan of this one either. That being said, its short, and the concept behind this is unique for a Quick Man level, but... its still a Quick Man level.
    MrKyurem (57/100)
    • That letter between X and Z. For a level based solely around quick lasers, this is surprisingly fair and well made (although stupidly hard). There's safe zones in every screen at the start and end so you can watch the pattern, then scroll it off screen and restart the pattern so you can try it, and there are no sections where something shows up that you didn't notice. For anybody who's not ready for the bad times upcoming, you should try Black Hole Bomb on the lasers. Gets a 5 for music despite not having music because silence really helps, although I am disappointed you did not use Quick Man's theme.
[/spoiler]

Tier 2 - Levels 16-13
16. Gyra Solune - Chroma Key (38.6/100) (Duvi's Least Favourite)
  • Pyro (58/100)
    • The idea behind this stage was super neat, and I LOVED the mixture of the included tilesets (it looked great!), but the stage in general just didn't seem too terribly fun? Parts of it really felt like enemy spam, and while there were a couple neat things (like using the Hot Dog as a stage obstacle), it felt like enemies were kinda just slapped down, especially in the section with the snake miniboss.
    Cheez8 (33/100)
    • There's a right way and a wrong way even for something like enemy spam. The right way in this case is to break up a constant stream of enemies with well-placed breathers- that way the game doesn't respawn, oh, say... a pair of ballistic green clowns every time the player backs away from anything. I at least loved the look of the first half, but then the level enters the jungle and loses what little focus it had.
    Duvi0 (16/100)
    • "Enemy spam is fun, right, guys?"
    Blackmore_Darkwing (50/100)
    • This is a unique concept! I didn't quite expect this sort of level, and it worked decently well... conceptually. However, there are definitely some issues with the level design itself. First is the absolutely insane Telly spam, if you wait for much longer than 3 seconds that room becomes basically unmanagable. The Power Massler near the end also kind of bugged me since it was almost impossible to no damage without weapons. I managed to work around these issues, but not everyone will, creating a bit of a problem with this level. Final Comment: Beyond the Time is a good song.
    MrKyurem (36/100)
    • The only part of this level I found interesting was the theming. The rest of the level was usually either rather dull, swamped with enemies that really didn’t need to be there, or in some cases, a mixture of both.
15. blue_kirby - Midnight Snow (43/100)
  • Pyro (58/100)
    • The level looked great, and the music was really relaxing. I liked the whole mini-challenge style of the level, but I feel because of this the level felt a bit unfocused? The whole level basically just felt like rooms with enemies, not much special about it.
    Cheez8 (42/100)
    • Most of the level was straightforward to a fault. The inside portion was nice though- while the split paths didn't really do much for the level, it was nice to have more varied terrain. Definite points for presentation though! Since it looked as nice as it did, it felt peaceful, not boring.
    Duvi0 (53/100)
    • This was a cute li'l level! If it had cheeks, I would kiss them.
    Blackmore_Darkwing (23/100)
    • This level... is. That's it, that's all I really have to say about it. Its there. some of the graphics and general layout make me think of SMB2, but other than that and the slightly odd music, I can't say much about this level.
    MrKyurem (39/100)
    • This level seems a bit too reliant on enemy challenges - apart from enemies, not much is really going on. The choice of only using single screens is questionable, too, as it can cause the player to be unprepared for what is coming - something that I cannot tell if you either didn't notice, or tried to exploit, without realising how it would affect the player. The other-fun factor on this is significantly less than the rest because it appears that, if you die in the second half of the stage, you fail to respawn, along with the fact that I am taking the benefit of the doubt, and assuming that there are meant to be some fluent scrolls.
14. Scorpio - Sunset Siege (44/100)
  • Pyro (49/100)
    • I liked the setting and the music of the level, and some of the things presented were nice (like the usage of all the barriers), but the whole level just felt kinda....there. Like it kinda lacked an identity? It felt like just some rooms with enemies and then the end goal. Also you can get shunted in a wall via a screen transition at one point :V
    Cheez8 (27/100)
    • Rather sparse, wasn't it? The overall idea was nice, but it would have been better served by having some more varied terrain, and maybe some mobile enemies to give it that action-y vibe that it lacks.
    Duvi0 (26/100)
    • I can't see what's so sunset or siege about this level. It's kind of a nothing level.
    Blackmore_Darkwing (50/100)
    • This was definitely a level, no doubt about that. I actually quite liked the music choice here, and you did a fairly decent job of using the resources that you were given. Some folks may be annoyed by the barrier abuse, but I actually found it rather fitting, considering its supposed to be a siege.
    MrKyurem (68/100)
    • This level doesn't exactly seem to know what it wants to be - only in the interior section does it get some sort of coherent theme, and even then it's somewhat questionable as to what you're setting out to achieve. Every screen it seems like something new is being thrown at me. The screen transitions seem a bit broke, too - because the upper path on the junction simply doesn't join up right, I cannot take it without death, so I'm only rating based on the bottom path - which has forced usage of every weapon - ideally, I think weapons should only have forced usage for secret or alternate paths, and it should only be 1 or 2 weapons.
13. MonkeyShrapnel - Sky Ziggurat (46.8/100)
  • Pyro (46/100)
    • While it wasn't very visually impressive and the music was...not that good, the level in general did present some neat bullet hell-ish challenges. All of the challenges allowed you to react if your reflexes were fast enough, which was really nice. Some of the rooms felt a bit spammy though, especially the ones with the Big Eyes.
    Cheez8 (80/100)
    • This was a super fun and solid level. Most of the challenges felt reasonable (though a couple "Think fast!" Mettaurs in front of pits pushed the limits.) There were plenty of refills lying around to make up for the challenge too.
    Duvi0 (42/100)
    • I liked the split-path stuff, but the graphics were blad, the music was bleh, it didn't really do anything interesting, and bluh.
    Blackmore_Darkwing (26/100)
    • Enemy spam is not how you do level design. Like...I'm sorry, but a number of these really did feel like they were all just thrown into wherever looked good and then left at that. Beyond that, there's really nothing that fancy about this place, it doesn't really do anything beyond throw wave after wave of enemy at you. I can tell this was a level tested with the weapons, but quite frankly, if you can't do this without Weapon Tanks or lucky weapon drops, there's a problem. At least the lives and E-Tanks were decently generous.
    MrKyurem (40/100)
    • The level at many times seemed to expect me to know what was coming, and at times, it was flat out unfair - with no prior introduction to the concept, it threw me into a room with a Big Eye and 3 of those hammer-throwing enemies from Guts Man's stage, which essentially required weapon usage. Powerups seemed to be given out like free candy at times - without any sort of intention, I stumbled upon a room with an E tank, a W tank, an extra life, a large health capsule and a large weapon capsule. Its challenges, while significantly harder than they should be, appear to have at least some form of thought behind them from time to time, however. One touch this stage had which I liked was that the colour of the Suzies told you which direction they travelled in - while there wasn't really any sections this was useful in, it was a nice touch.
[/spoiler]

Tier 3 - Levels 12-9
12. Mitcheddar93 - Wily Combo (48.4/100)
  • Pyro (72/100)
    • It looked great, it had great music, the idea behind it was great, overall a very solid level! Some of the sections, though, were more difficult than they probably should have been due to mechanical differences of the engine, such as the Rush Jet section. Some of the redesigns were neat though, I especially liked the redesign of the Magnet Beam room!
    Cheez8 (31/100)
    • Sorry, but I believe with at least -most- of my heart that there are much better stages to lovingly recreate than MM1 Wily 1. That room with the firebar jumps just isn't fun at all. At least Rush fits down in there now... Well, aside from that, the graphics really didn't work well. I found it hard to tell real walls from background walls in certain areas, and consider myself lucky to be so familiar with the sources already.
    Duvi0 (60/100)
    • I would order a Wily Combo from Wendy's.
    Blackmore_Darkwing (47/100)
    • Well, this definitely felt like a Wily stage. The first time I tackled this level, I was not in top form, so I died a lot and just got generally really frustrated. Second time through though I absolutely aced this place. Really not a bad level, but it takes some getting used to for sure. Docking graphics a little though since I found myself having to strain my eyes to play the stage when I first entered it. Contrast could use a bit of a boost.
    MrKyurem (32/100)
    • While the idea of a Wily mashup was interesting, it seems that the design aspects each Wily stage has had was forgotten in an attempt to reap nostalgia points. Forced weapon usage was kept, but clever enemy-based challenges were removed. The boss room was also a huge cockblock - the boss corridor has no background, and the room layout is almost identical to the MM1 Yellow Devil room, only for a Snakey to be waiting at the room. Seems a bit cruel.
11. Thoron - Napalm Forest and Caves (52.2/100)
  • Pyro (67/100)
    • I can see you, erm, were...inspired by the sample Blyka's Engine stage. That being said though, I think this level did a really good job of making itself feel new! It's nice to see the Plant Man platforms get some love, and I like how you incorporated Plant Man, Bubble Man and Splash Woman into the stage's design. And having alternate paths was super neat! I'm also a fan of the spike drop with falling platforms, it's an interesting take on a spike drop. I can't believe I just said that.
    Cheez8 (61/100)
    • I like the idea at work here. To explore the area around a stage, rather than the one set path... That was pretty cool, and Napalm Man's stage was a great choice for it. I'm less enthusiastic about the added content- maybe it was just me, but the new parts seemed fairly punishing for what was originally a Robot Master stage, both in terms of death spikes and enemy choices.
    Duvi0 (40/100)
    • I'm sorry, what did I just play? I forgot immediately after playing.
    Blackmore_Darkwing (53/100)
    • It's an expansion of Napalm Man's level, and actually a rather well-designed one, with a number of interesting paths and multiple routes to pick from. That being said, I still have a few gripes. One of the sets of spikes in the underwater section behind the Solar Blaze wall, down the ladder after the first section, was hidden behind complete black for some reason. Also, the level itself runs really, really long, which is probably my biggest gripe with this. There's a definite sweet spot for level length in these games, and this does not hit that sweet spot at all. It's a good level overall, but its still really long
    MrKyurem (40/100)
    • The parts that weren't just copy+paste Napalm Man were fairly decent, although they occasionally used a few too many enemies. Not much to say about this really, as it is, for the most part, just a slight rehash of Napalm Man's stage.
10. ParmaJon - Hard to See Land (52.4/100)
  • Pyro (61/100)
    • The vertical top section was a super neat idea, but thanks to a combination of the jankiness of the vertical scrolling and my programming incompetence with the tops it became a bit on the 'eh' side. The rest of the level was...okay? It was just 'fine' in my book, except for the end with the solid colors, ow that hurt my eyes.
    Cheez8 (62/100)
    • I don't really see what's hard to see about this place. Is that the joke...? How meta. It's interesting seeing this basically be a pure platforming stage in an engine that rarely deals in them. Many enemies seemed like an afterthought until I realized that. Makes it hard to judge, but for a different kind of challenge, it was fun enough.
    Duvi0 (32/100)
    • I hated this level... until the second half. What the hell is with the first couple screens, dude?!
    Blackmore_Darkwing (58/100)
    • This was a fairly interesting level. You had a definite concept in the level graphics, and the level makes fairly good use of various platform types. Generally speaking I can't complain. That being said, the sudden bright colors right at the end of the level is something I'm going to have to dock you for, that was quite hard on the eyes. I prefer needing something being hard to see in terms of squinting, not its hard to see because its too freaking brihgt.
    MrKyurem (49/100)
    • I am glad that this level didn't live up to its name (until the boss room, that is) - despite some rather easy-to-see flaws, like some unfair portions of the level (crystal section comes to mind), this level had some neat ideas, including the vertical scrolling section.
9. Flashman85 - Maze of Death (63.8/100) (Duvi's Favourite)
  • Pyro (93/100)
    • Wow. What an absolutely fantastic level. With a few exceptions (the room with like 5 cannon joes), you can tell that tons of love and care was put into this level, and the level itself is EXTREMELY creative and unique. I LOVE how you used the barriers as ways to connect the whole maze. There were also some REALLY creative rooms built around manipulating your special weapons, and the Black Hole Bomb was definitely used very well here. And I really liked the whole aspect of the stage where you had to destroy the barriers leading to the exit, that was super neat!! Overall an incredibly fun and creative level!
    Cheez8 (89/100)
    • Now that was fun! The exploration aspect was actually handled really well, especially with all the permanent shortcuts for backtracking. It was great fun figuring out how to approach each challenge too, and personally, I love the way this stage was designed with copious weapon use in mind. ...Though I can't say I ever figured out the last room.
    Duvi0 (78/100)
    • This feels like a Wily level from a really, REALLY good MegaMan fanhack... except for the last room. The last room is kind of garbage.
    Blackmore_Darkwing (30/100)
    • Agh... Wow... this level is really brutal, like, really really really brutal. I honestly will admit that my heart sank when I first saw there were Force Beams in here, and then it just kept going. This is easily the single most brutal level in here, and its... I really didn't enjoy it, I really truly didn't. It felt frustrating to get through, like some kind of slog, especially since there was no way to guarantee that you didn't just waste a ton of energy on a dead end. Also took entirely too long to pull off.
    MrKyurem (29/100)
    • It seems you've spent so long thinking about whether you could, you didn't stop to think if you should. Each screen seemed to completely neglect both what was in the screen before it and what the player was prepared for, and with every death, it seemed I made no progress. Eventually, I just looked at the playthrough you posted on Youtube, and it honestly made me somewhat glad I chose to give up, as I would have only been more disappointed at the boss, so to speak.
[/spoiler]

Tier 4 - Levels 8-5
8. 128Up - Under Construction (67.2/100)
  • Pyro (71/100)
    • This was super fun!! The whole level was really well-designed, especially that one Shield Attacker towards the end that was specifically placed to be turning around when you finished climbing the ladder :3. And overall it was just filled with a bunch of super neat mixes of obstacles, like the needles and gumball machines! I had a ton of fun! also bcas oooowwwwnnsss #memes
    Cheez8 (70/100)
    • Not sure I'm much of a fan of the "complicated platforming terrain" style this has going for it- it kind of brought out all the little problems in the engine (or all the clumsiness in me. Take your pick.) All the big, bulky enemies definitely made me notice a lack of health refills, too, but I had a good time all the same.
    Duvi0 (73/100)
    • Finish the level; I wanna see what it's like when it's done.
    Blackmore_Darkwing (66/100)
    • No real comments here, nothing here really stood out as 'why' worthy to me. Not the most creative level, but it isn't a cheap or unfair level either, it's overall pretty good. I have to give you props for using what was there in a fairly solid manner. Also, really liked your song choice
    MrKyurem (56/100)
    • Coherent theming all the way through was quite nice. However, some choices in this level were questionable - pandas appeared to replace the armoured cannons semi-randomly, which was odd, considering they are very similar enemy types (and the pandas are arguably easier). Some rooms also didn't really communicate well with the player, like the first room with the ice wall (I originally thought this was a death pit). Overall, enjoyable, but not perfect.
7. The Stove Guy - Spiky Meltdown (69.2/100) (Cheez' Favourite)
  • Pyro (79/100)
    • Maaan this level looked great, and I really liked the design as a whole! The music didn't really feel like it 'fit', though. The Plantman platforms were used really well, too. My only real issue with the level is the design of some sections. The Tackle Fire area felt like a bit much, and the huge area with the falling platforms felt a bit unfair, with a Spine catching you right after a group of bomb enemies...
    Cheez8 (84/100)
    • I was fooled again! Man, that was a nice challenge. I especially like how the level asks you to think ahead on several of the screens. As far as issues go, the long bridge was a bit of a mood killer, since any little mistake in that area usually meant a death. Otherwise, there's really not much to complain about!
    Duvi0 (56/100)
    • I don't even have anything sassy to say about this one, really. Decent level.
    Blackmore_Darkwing (70/100)
    • Okay, first thing I want to mention is, those are some nice graphics. Secondly, that's a Kevvviiinnn song in the background, isn't it? Third thing, this is actually a really solid level, I actually found myself quite enjoying this place, well, most of it. The Changkeys were an absolute pain in the rear to deal with (as per usual with respawning enemies in MaGMML), but other than that this level is pretty well made, and that spike scare at the end was evil. XD
    MrKyurem (57/100)
    • Lives up a bit too well to its name at times, although the challenges provided by them are, for the most part, fun and interesting. I would say that, mainly during the horizontally scrolling sections with lava and falling platforms, there is a severe overpopulation of Tackle Fires and Gabyoalls, respectively, essentially rendering Pharoah Shot and Black Hole Bomb the only reasonable weapons in those areas. I’m also fairly certain that ending classifies as psychological torture, which is illegal.
6. Lamda - Thunderclyffe Plant (70.4/100)
  • Pyro (89/100)
    • This level seriously looks amazing, and I really like the aesthetic of an underground castle and city. The music was great, too! Some of the castle parts were super neat too, I really liked the structure of the vertical segment towards the end.
    Cheez8 (67/100)
    • You can get stuck and have to restart if you enter the room with the W Tank by sliding. I can see how you'd overlook something like that though. More importantly, the stage was still fun a second time, which is something to be proud of! It didn't really push any envelopes in terms of gameplay, but you changed things up a lot, and the presentation was especially good.
    Duvi0 (81/100)
    • Jokes aside. I loved this level, front to back.
    Blackmore_Darkwing (48/100)
    • This... was also a level. I take it the music theme here is Tesla Coatl's theme in 8-bit. Regarding the level itself... you definitely built a good level with what you had, but I don't really feel like enough was done to really make the level excel either. It works, but I wouldn't say it stands out, really.
    MrKyurem (67/100)
    • Overall, I quite enjoyed this level, although at times, it seems either too empty, or just a bit too harsh. I also quite liked the tower portion of the stage - not many of these levels do ladder segments. I did find that some gimmicks, like the yoku blocks, were hardly fleshed out at all.
5. WreckingGoomba - Research Facility (74.2/100) (MrKyurem's Favourite)
  • Pyro (88/100)
    • This was AMAZING!!!! The weapon archives were SUPER neat and you had a great selection of bosses! Great choice of music too! The whole stage was just a lot of fun to go through. Though I do feel that the actual stage apart from the bosses was just 'a stage'? It's nice to see the sparkman platforms get some use but besides the bosses everything just felt like it was...there.
    Cheez8 (81/100)
    • Haha, wow. This definitely pleased the fanboy in me. That's a very nice take on the Wily Archive. All the boss parts were so well-crafted, and they generally struck a good balance of "faithful" and "improved". I think you could have done a little more with the inbetween sections, but even then, what you have isn't bad.
    Duvi0 (80/100)
    • The only thing missing from this level is a scientist pleading for his life.
    Blackmore_Darkwing (54/100)
    • The level itself was boring. Nothing about it really stood out as good or bad, it was just... there, really. The Guardian Archive, on the other hand, I rather liked that, and it was the main source of fun from this level, with one exception. The Cossack Catcher is an absolute pain to fight, and cost me two of my E-Tanks, something no other boss can say so far. That docked you pretty significantly, as I found that downright frustrating
    MrKyurem (68/100)
    • A Wily Boss Archive was a very clever boss idea that I found very enjoyable! The rest of the stage, while somewhat devoid of enemy challenges, laid out some good game design demonstration, and each asset of the level was, for the most part, well introduced and tested.
[/spoiler]

Tier 5 - Levels 4-1
4. Entity1037 - Citadel Basement (75/100)
  • Pyro (86/100)
    • Amazing! The stage keeps its focus with just using the Guts lifts and a few types of enemies. But wow does the stage make amazing use of the Guts lifts! I really liked the race towards the end of the level, and the vertical sections were really cool too! Great job on this one!
    Cheez8 (75/100)
    • A little punishing, but you judged the length and midpoint placements well! The Guts Man platforms let you ask some things of the player that I personally haven't seen before, too. A very straightforward challenge, but a well-crafted one that really got me feeling pumped up when I pulled it off.
    Duvi0 (91/100)
    • Is it just me or does the gutsman platform ridiculously phallic?
    Blackmore_Darkwing (66/100)
    • Huh, this was actually a pretty fun level overall. I ended up needing to use Rush Jet in my successful run, but I'm honestly okay with that. You put the Guts Man lift things to rather good use here, and just overall I quite like this. I have two major complaints here. One is that this level basically comes from a more MMU-train of thought where you basically can't make any mistakes in order to make it through, which is...disappointing, to say the least, never been a fan of that school of thought. The other complaint is that the final third of the stage is far easier than anything before it, which gives this place some mild issues with its difficulty curve.
    MrKyurem (57/100)
    • Slightly too brutal for my liking - although, the design behind said torturous difficulty was actually fairly well done. I think some of the challenges could definitely have been done without so many spikes, and that first section where you have to walk off the Guts Man platform didn’t need to saturn-thingies-that-i-don’t-know-the-name-of, as this is where you’re introducing them to this concept. I will also give you that this is the first time I have been scared by an E tank since Minus Infinity.
3. Friendly Dictator - NEON GRAVITY (75.6/100)
  • Pyro (90/100)
    • WOW. What an absolutely fantastic level! The black hole gimmick was REALLY creative, and definitely something I've never seen before in a Mega Man game. You also utilized it really creatively, especially the parts with the spinning bullet trios. And the level looked gorgeous, and the music was awesome, and the boss fight was really fun! I think the only complaint I have is that some rooms I wasn't sure how to get through without getting hit, like the room with the Sniper Joe just before the boss.
    Cheez8 (62/100)
    • Well, that was certainly a marvel of engineering. I'm afraid it was a little too unnatural for me though- it took a game over or two to really get used to how the wells worked, and until then the stage was just aggravating.
    Duvi0 (66/100)
    • Not really a huge fan of the level. Enemy placement's kinda irritating, but I liked the attempt at making a puzzle level over a Jump & Shoot level. Also: kind of ridiculously beautiful.
    Blackmore_Darkwing (73/100)
    • The start of this level is surprisingly brutal, its rather difficult to make it through the first portal section without of damage unless you throw caution to the winds. That...is a frequent occurence here, the level design is the type where you have to speed through it to avoid damage, and yet the black holes are so funky that I, at least, tended to wait and see what I was dealing with first, leading to damage. Not exactly fond of that. That being said, the gimmick itself is brilliant, and used in very interesting ways. I did enjoy how you couldn't cheat your way out of spots with Metal Blade, and the boss was a rather interesting fight... if an easy one.
    MrKyurem (87/100)
    • I haven't seen this gimmick before - and it was very cleverly executed! Both the boss and the miniboss took full usage of the gimmicks presented to you, and the boss was a good test to ensure you had a hang of the gimmick. Quite challenging to get used to the gimmick, and I don't think the difficulty curve reflected that as well as it could've, but that's not to say the difficulty curve didn't escalated semi-fairly.
2. kumuhmuh - Mega Man World (80.8) (Pyro's Favourite)
  • Pyro (96/100)
    • Oh man this was super adorable~! I loooove your reimagining of the Mario enemies, the gimmicks were super neat, the design was great~ this was so gooood!!!!! I don't really have much to say about it other than fantastic job!! Like seriously I was smiling the whole time I played this~ Also I HOPE I WIN
    Cheez8 (58/100)
    • Certainly felt like it dragged on. I don't know if it really was just the length, or if it was more because the majority of enemies were durable, shielded, and/or completely in the way... Actually, yeah, that was it. Too many of the enemies just take up your time, all the time. It outlived its charm.
    Duvi0 (96/100)
    • You probably did!!
    Blackmore_Darkwing (86/100)
    • It's a Super Mario World-themed level, and its actually really quite fun. I greatly enjoyed all of the new enemy types, and you put the brick block gimmick to very good use with the Hammer Bros. enemy at one point. I honestly don't have much to complain about here, only that the Yoshi eggs don't really do much, Reznor glitched himself to death, and Birdo wasn't really a very impressive boss fight.
    MrKyurem (68/100)
    • I really like what’s been done here - the mix of these two games has come around quite nicely. I should point out, however, that I find a lot of the enemies a tad more durable than they deserve to be.
1. RedBlupi - Glass Man (84.2/100) (BD's Favourite)
  • Pyro (94/100)
    • Oh man this was AMAZING! The new enemy with the glass shield was really neat and used pretty well, and the spritework here was absolutely fantastic. The stage was also designed pretty well, too, with some interesting setups with the Nut-and-Bolts and neat platforming challenges. And there's so much attention to detail put into it, too, with the crystals breaking!! The boss was super fun too, though I found his glass orb attack to be a bit tough to dodge. Also I sure hope Daniel Page doesn't track me down again for this stage having MME music :V
    Cheez8 (76/100)
    • Maybe it was just the music, but this felt like a genuine Capcom-made level! Good job. Only a few things stick out, like the room that surrounds you with bolts, and the boss fight (which, while impressive, alternated between being very dangerous and not at all dangerous.)
    Duvi0 (90/100)
    • I can't begin to describe this level. This is what Megaman should be. I'm not the biggest Megaman fan, but this makes me want to replay the whole series all over again!
    Blackmore_Darkwing (82/100)
    • This...this felt like a Mega Man stage. There's no other way to put it. This felt like a Mega Man stage. I really enjoyed running through this level, and my only real complaint is the spamming of the bolt enemies from Top Man's stage, otherwise this is pretty great. Bonus Points for having an actual honest to goodness robot master to your stage, especially since I could see what his Master Weapon would be. You did great here.
    MrKyurem (79/100)
    • A brilliant boss fight with a very enjoyable and well-co-ordinated level to go with it. Glass Man's pinch attack seems a bit painful to dodge, but outside of that, I would not be surprised if Glass Man were to show up in some other fangame in the future.
[/spoiler]

Score Breakdowns
Pyro
Cheez
Duvi
Blackmore Darkwing
MrKyurem
Last edited by snoruntpyro 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota

Re: Make a Good Mega Man Level Contest (MaGMML)! RESULTS! TIER 5! Congrats RedBlupi!

Post by raekuul »

You put tier 5 in twice.

You put tier 5 in twice.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024