(shouting)

KCX(Kaizo Contest X) Relay Testing Phase

would you like to participate in some fun contests? would you like to create some fun contests? well ^_^
MECHDRAGON777
Up in the Tower floating above Gensokyo lies the true me in reverse.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: KCX(Kaizo Contest X) Relay Interest Thread

Post by MECHDRAGON777 »

Zyglrox Odyssey wrote:
MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
pholtos wrote:Don't worry I'll think of something, it might be a week or two though, if that's not a problem.
You do not have two weeks though, you only have 1 sadly.
You have 8 screens and are like 4 names away from the end of the queue, one of whom I believe left the talkhaus entirely. This relay's already embarrassingly short for a relay, do you really wanna shorten it further by cutting off one of the few people who are actually acknowledging this thing exists?

e: Heck, you'd almost be better off cycling back through the list just to pad things out a bit. By my count you're on track to not even reach a dozen screens in this relay level if you go ahead with cutting pholtos off in this fashion.
I actually would love that to happen, I want Pholtos to finish this. I am not the one who made that silly little rule.
ParmaJon wrote:I think doubling up isn't a bad idea to extend the length, though that may take another few months.
Since 8flight seems to have left, does that mean Mable is the one in charge, or me? If it is me, I am okay with it.

My avartar

I am a SMBX player, and I do not know weather to stay at SuperMarioBrosx.org or at talkhaus.raocow.com honestly.

ParmaJon
Moose in a suit
First name: Jon (a bit too obvious?)

Post by ParmaJon »

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
ParmaJon wrote:I think doubling up isn't a bad idea to extend the length, though that may take another few months.
Since 8flight seems to have left, does that mean Mable is the one in charge, or me? If it is me, I am okay with it.
I messaged him on skype so I'd give him another day or two, I'll nudge him tomorrow and we can decide after a few more days or he responds.
Go to bed

MECHDRAGON777

Post by MECHDRAGON777 »

ParmaJon wrote:
MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
I messaged him on skype so I'd give him another day or two, I'll nudge him tomorrow and we can decide after a few more days or he responds.
Yeah, I have been contemplating on messaging him on this matter.

My avartar

I am a SMBX player, and I do not know weather to stay at SuperMarioBrosx.org or at talkhaus.raocow.com honestly.

Zygl

Post by Zygl »

I mean the second pass would obviously not still give everybody an entire week, that was probably entirely too long the first time. Maybe like a day or two?
MECHDRAGON777 wrote:I actually would love that to happen, I want Pholtos to finish this. I am not the one who made that silly little rule.
8flight himself has granted extensions for this in the past so that's not really a concern. On top of that, he effectively ceded command of anything at all related to this when he "officially" left the talkhaus a couple weeks ago. Who is in control here is of course a question, but it's certainly not him.
Imaynotbehere4long
Gone, but...yeah, pretty much forgotten.

Post by Imaynotbehere4long »

Zyglrox Odyssey wrote:This relay's already embarrassingly short for a relay, do you really wanna shorten it further by cutting off one of the few people who are actually acknowledging this thing exists?

e: Heck, you'd almost be better off cycling back through the list just to pad things out a bit. By my count you're on track to not even reach a dozen screens in this relay level if you go ahead with cutting pholtos off in this fashion.
To be fair, the reason the relay is so short is because quite a few people who asked to make a screen decided for whatever reason not to even reply to the thread when it was their turn, and if we don't cut people like that off, this will never be finished.

I also have my doubts that, if they couldn't make a screen in a week, they can make a screen in a day or two (or another week).
pholtos wrote:Don't worry I'll think of something, it might be a week or two though, if that's not a problem.
At least give us a progress report before the 19th.
My SMBX portfolio:
(includes a Sonic 3D Blast styled level.)

SOMEONE ANSWER MY CRY FOR HELP: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=2026
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

Imaynotbehere4long wrote:To be fair, the reason the relay is so short is because quite a few people who asked to make a screen decided for whatever reason not to even reply to the thread when it was their turn, and if we don't cut people like that off, this will never be finished.
Yeah I mean I'm not arguing against skipping people at all ever, if they're not even responding of course they should be skipped.
I also have my doubts that, if they couldn't make a screen in a week, they can make a screen in a day or two (or another week).
I more meant the entire list, actual participants and all, just to give this relay any actual substance. Sure, it kinda goes against the usual relay level principle of 'everybody gets one screen,' but then again we've had like four relay levels ever between the talkhaus and the SMBX community and all of them were plenty big without this even being a consideration, there's no real "precedent" for this, so to speak.

Alternatively, rather than looping through the entire list again and padding out the dev time by probably like two months, we could bulk ping them all about this and give any interested parties a couple days to make another thing. Gives the same result of 'longer relay,' but shouldn't extend the dev time by more than like two weeks, I don't think.
ParmaJon
Moose in a suit

Post by ParmaJon »

I think Zyg has the right idea about giving people just a short time to add to this.
Go to bed

MECHDRAGON777

Post by MECHDRAGON777 »

Zyglrox Odyssey wrote:
Imaynotbehere4long wrote:To be fair, the reason the relay is so short is because quite a few people who asked to make a screen decided for whatever reason not to even reply to the thread when it was their turn, and if we don't cut people like that off, this will never be finished.
Yeah I mean I'm not arguing against skipping people at all ever, if they're not even responding of course they should be skipped.
I more meant the entire list, actual participants and all, just to give this relay any actual substance. Sure, it kinda goes against the usual relay level principle of 'everybody gets one screen,' but then again we've had like four relay levels ever between the talkhaus and the SMBX community and all of them were plenty big without this even being a consideration, there's no real "precedent" for this, so to speak.

Alternatively, rather than looping through the entire list again and padding out the dev time by probably like two months, we could bulk ping them all about this and give any interested parties a couple days to make another thing. Gives the same result of 'longer relay,' but shouldn't extend the dev time by more than like two weeks, I don't think.
Since Imaynotbehere4long and the judges are last, does that mean all of that goes on before we make out screen? or after?

My avartar

Zygl

Post by Zygl »

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
Zyglrox Odyssey wrote:I more meant the entire list, actual participants and all, just to give this relay any actual substance. Sure, it kinda goes against the usual relay level principle of 'everybody gets one screen,' but then again we've had like four relay levels ever between the talkhaus and the SMBX community and all of them were plenty big without this even being a consideration, there's no real "precedent" for this, so to speak.

Since Imaynotbehere4long and the judges are last, does that mean all of that goes on before we make out screen? or after?
You guys gotta be at the end of the relay, so it'd come in before. But if you guys wanna participate in the second pass yourselves then those screens should probably go before everybody else's second screens, otherwise it's just you three cycling around for the last half-dozen screens and that'd just be silly.
Imaynotbehere4long

I admit that I haven't played the level yet (waiting for my turn), but maybe the higher difficulty of the relay would be enough make up for its shorter-than-average length. After all, we still have five screens left. I say we wait until after everyone has made a screen, and if we still think it's too short, then we can do the second cycle thing.
My SMBX portfolio:

SOMEONE ANSWER MY CRY FOR HELP: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=2026
7NameSam
hey
Pronouns: they/them

Post by 7NameSam »

Imaynotbehere4long wrote:I admit that I haven't played the level yet (waiting for my turn), but maybe the higher difficulty of the relay would be enough make up for its shorter-than-average length. After all, we still have five screens left. I say we wait until after everyone has made a screen, and if we still think it's too short, then we can do the second cycle thing.
Oh, how about we do something like a boss at the end, and people can each make a phase for it?
Mabel
Just west of wierd
https://marbels.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mabel »

Mechdragon you should probably only do 4 screens on that random thing youre talking about, 25% of a screen appearing is alot more clean tbh.

as far as who is supposed to be leading things, I was given project lead by 8flight forever ago soooooooo...

anyways, if you need extra time on your screen just post about it before your week is up with some progress. also anyone who didnt show up to make their screen before should be given a chance to go if theyre still interested before anyone does any doubling up.
7NameSam wrote:
Imaynotbehere4long wrote:I admit that I haven't played the level yet (waiting for my turn), but maybe the higher difficulty of the relay would be enough make up for its shorter-than-average length. After all, we still have five screens left. I say we wait until after everyone has made a screen, and if we still think it's too short, then we can do the second cycle thing.
Oh, how about we do something like a boss at the end, and people can each make a phase for it?
im not saying my screen will be a boss or anything but...
Image Image
MECHDRAGON777

Post by MECHDRAGON777 »

Mabel wrote:Mechdragon you should probably only do 4 screens on that random thing youre talking about, 25% of a screen appearing is alot more clean tbh.

as far as who is supposed to be leading things, I was given project lead by 8flight forever ago soooooooo...

anyways, if you need extra time on your screen just post about it before your week is up with some progress. also anyone who didnt show up to make their screen before should be given a chance to go if theyre still interested before anyone does any doubling up.
7NameSam wrote:
im not saying my screen will be a boss or anything but...
I can agree with all of that. I also do not need to worry about block or bgo counts becuase I can make two PNGs for each possible appearance. (One foreground, and the other background) since this only shows an image, but also shows the blocks, all I would need to do is add a block for collision, and the npcs. (as well as blocks that are destroy-able/hit-table.

By the way, why only 25%?

My avartar

ParmaJon
Moose in a suit

Post by ParmaJon »

8flight wants the week of may 16th for his screen.
Go to bed

pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Eh... pass on me for the time being, nothing is coming to me. I'll probably make something but later on.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
MECHDRAGON777

Post by MECHDRAGON777 »

pholtos wrote:Eh... pass on me for the time being, nothing is coming to me. I'll probably make something but later on.

That is sad to hear.
IMAYNOTBEHERE4LONG wrote:Ping

looks like your turn has finally arrived, make it great.

My avartar

Imaynotbehere4long

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
looks like your turn has finally arrived
Man, I was willing to let pholtos have another week, too. Oh well; I should be able to make something.
MECHDRAGON777 wrote:make it great.
My SMBX portfolio:

MECHDRAGON777

Post by MECHDRAGON777 »

Imaynotbehere4long wrote:
MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
looks like your turn has finally arrived
Man, I was willing to let pholtos have another week, too. Oh well; I should be able to make something.
MECHDRAGON777 wrote:make it great.
Since 8flight wants the week of the 16th, I say we both take two weeks on our level.

My avartar

Imaynotbehere4long

MESSAGE TO THE PERSON WHO MADE THE TANOOKI-JUMP SCREEN: you screwed up the filter at the end. It happens before the player has a chance to double-jump out of the spikes and it comes without warning, resulting in a cheap death. The filter should be moved up and to the right so that the player is on solid ground when it happens.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found out how to get past it, but it still comes without warning as even if the players know about lua, they won't have any context for which BGO acts as a debuff.
My SMBX portfolio:

MECHDRAGON777

Post by MECHDRAGON777 »

Imaynotbehere4long wrote:MESSAGE TO THE PERSON WHO MADE THE TANOOKI-JUMP SCREEN: you screwed up the filter at the end. It happens before the player has a chance to double-jump out of the spikes and it comes without warning, resulting in a cheap death. The filter should be moved up and to the right so that the player is on solid ground when it happens.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found out how to get past it, but it still comes without warning as even if the players know about lua, they won't have any context for which BGO acts as a debuff.
Do you mean the first screen that was made by SnoruntPyro?

My avartar

Imaynotbehere4long

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:Do you mean the first screen that was made by SnoruntPyro?
Yeah.
Zyglrox Odyssey wrote:my section abuses that glitch where npcs continue to accelerate while you're changing characters and also the spinjump-to-link-block mechanics.
Okay, I figured out how to get the sawblades lower (though it's quite tedious given their asynchronous pattern), but how is the player supposed to spinjump into the link block without either clipping into the lava or falling short and losing the spinjump? I'm not entirely sure it's possible. Could you show me a video on how to get past it?

Edit: also, if the player is moving right when he/she spinjumps into the block, Link can only stab to the right, but the key is on the left, meaning the player can't get the key. However, if the player doesn't come at the block from the left, he/she will clip into the lava and die. What I'm trying to say is: could you just show me how to get past your entire screen? It really just seems like you tried to implement your ideas but didn't actually playtest it.

Edit 2:
Katazuki wrote:ping
I keep encountering this weird glitch whenever I try to play your screen:
http://i.imgur.com/RtQfAR0.gif
Did you simply not know about this, or am I missing something?
My SMBX portfolio:

MECHDRAGON777

Post by MECHDRAGON777 »

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:Do you mean the first screen that was made by SnoruntPyro?
Yeah.
Zyglrox Odyssey wrote:my section abuses that glitch where npcs continue to accelerate while you're changing characters and also the spinjump-to-link-block mechanics.
Okay, I figured out how to get the sawblades lower (though it's quite tedious given their asynchronous pattern), but how is the player supposed to spinjump into the link block without either clipping into the lava or falling short and losing the spinjump? I'm not entirely sure it's possible. Could you show me a video on how to get past it?

Edit: also, if the player is moving right when he/she spinjumps into the block, Link can only stab to the right, but the key is on the left, meaning the player can't get the key. However, if the player doesn't come at the block from the left, he/she will clip into the lava and die. What I'm trying to say is: could you just show me how to get past your entire screen? It really just seems like you tried to implement your ideas but didn't actually playtest it.

Edit 2:
Katazuki wrote:ping
I keep encountering this weird glitch whenever I try to play your screen:
http://i.imgur.com/RtQfAR0.gif
Did you simply not know about this, or am I missing something?
I have a .gif of me doing that part of Zyglrox's screen

Edit:

Umm, I never got the converted file, so I have to post a soundless YT video.

My avartar

Zygl

Post by Zygl »

Can't video at the moment, currently wrestling with random BSODs and I'm gonna be kinda busy today as it is, but the direction you stab in is based on which way you're facing, not which way you're moving. The trick is to build up enough speed going right to clear the edge, then turn around for just long enough to spinjump, then go back to holding right. My entire screen is playtested and possible, I assure you.
Imaynotbehere4long

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
Ohhhh! I thought I had to spin-jump into the Link block based on Zyglrox Odyssey's initial post. Thanks for the video.
My SMBX portfolio:

MECHDRAGON777

Post by MECHDRAGON777 »

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
Ohhhh! I thought I had to spin-jump into the Link block based on Zyglrox Odyssey's initial post. Thanks for the video.
His screen does require to spin jump into the Link block, I just cheated it. I know it is possible as well. I wanted to upload that before going to bed last night though.

Edit: Image

My avartar