(shouting)

Privana Hosts : A Super Mario Maker Competition!

would you like to participate in some fun contests? would you like to create some fun contests? well ^_^
XerX
Untalented Pleb
First name: Colton
Pronouns: he/him/his

Privana Hosts : A Super Mario Maker Competition!

Post by XerX »

Welcome one and all to the first ever multi-community Super Mario Maker Competition! I will be your host for this wonderful event. I hope that this works out in the end for everyone, and that everyone enjoys themselves whilst competing in the competition.

I would love for at least one user of each community to help judge this competition. If you have submitted a level and are judging, your level will be judged by a co-judge that is readily available. You will not judge your own level.

This competition will be presented to 5 different communities. Super Mario Bros X, Mario Fan Games Galaxy, Talkhaus, Super Mario World Central, and Privana.
I hope users from every one of these communities participate and give their all. But first, we gotta lay down some ground rules.

These are rules that must be followed when submitting a level to this contest. Any rules that are broken may lead to your level being disqualified.

1 . For the love of god, do not submit spam-crap levels. We don't want to see you place down 200 spinies, goombas, bowsers and bloopers in a 20x30 room and expect the player to live. It's not fun for anyone.

2 . You may only submit one level. Attempting to submit another level will result in it being ignored unless a valid reason is specified.

3 . You must submit the level BEFORE the deadline. Any submissions afterwards will be ignored.

4 . Kaizo levels are acceptable but please note that there is a low tolerance for them. Don't expect raving reviews.

5 . Levels must have the prefix "#PMMC". This is to prevent theft of other player levels.

These should be very straightforward. If you have any questions regarding the rules, feel free to PM me about them.

If you would like to participate, send me a PM or post in this topic, and I'll add you to the list of participants.

List of participants : (Users that are bold have submitted their level.)

Spinda
PaperPlayerX
RoundPiplup
Tinkerbell
Dakras
Marina
Ivy
Picochilla
HeroLink64
Murphmario
Yoshibrothers
leod
Megar
Quiversee
Luigixhero
Ultramario
Friendly Dictator
Burning Fox

You didn't think I'd just leave you without any reason to actually give some sort of effort (for some of you, it might not matter. )
Yes, there are prizes. Yes they are more than just a "trophy". What am I talking about exactly?

Steam games!

I know it's not much, really. I'm a poor college student who can hardly afford his next lunch meal. But I'm generous. (Apparently one of my downfalls.)
BUT YES. Steam games! You may be thinking, "What Steam games?"

I'll tell you.

The prizes are now the following :
- Crypt of the NecroDancer
- Dino D-Day
- Call of Duty : World at War
- ARMA : Cold War Assault
- ORION : Prelude
- Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine
- Borderlands: Game of the Year
- Rayman® Origins
- Worms Armageddon
- Serious Sam HD: Gold Edition
- Gravity Ghost
- Dead Space Pack (Both 1 & 2)
- Duke Nukem Forever
- Alien Breed 3: Descent
- Bulletstorm™
- Hamilton's Great Adventure
- METAL SLUG 3
- Rise of the Triad
- Serious Sam 3 BFE Gold

(Thank you Ultramario of MFGG for donating more than half of these prizes.)

How prizes will work :

5 winners will be chosen, from 1st to 5th. 1st place winner gets to choose what game they would like. 2nd place gets to choose what's remaining. So on and so forth. NOTE that depending on the amount of entries this competition gets, I may knock that down to 3 winners instead of 5. You will still get to choose from the list of 5 games, so no worries there.

The deadline for all levels is exactly 1 month from now. ( Tuesday, October 13, 2015 ).

All levels must be submitted either by post in this topic, or by PM to me. (Preferably PM). That way I can organize all the levels and get them judged.

I hope to see you all participate, and I especially hope to see all of your amazing levels.
Last edited by XerX 8 years ago, edited 17 times in total.
Pikabread
we're gonna talk about e
First name: lily
Pronouns: she/her/xe/xem

Re: Privana Hosts : A Super Mario Maker Competition!

Post by Pikabread »

cool, I'm so glad there's a competition for this 2 days after the game has come out, where most people don't even have the game, let alone be familiar enough with it to make a contest level for

hell I don't even a wiiu yet
XerX
Untalented Pleb

Post by XerX »

I'm pretty familiar after using it for 2 Days. And I'm super flexible with the due dates. If needed be, I can extend them. I don't see what the problem is with having a nice contest after release. Get those creative juices churning!
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

it begins

i'm in

not the first contest though, i've already submitted an entry to a SA contest lmao
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Pikabread
we're gonna talk about e
First name: lily
Pronouns: she/her/xe/xem

Post by Pikabread »

XerX wrote:I don't see what the problem is with having a nice contest after release. Get those creative juices churning!
nothing, inherently, but not a ton of peeps are gonna have it or be ready for a contest THIS soon after release! not to mention, there's like 4 ongoing smbx contests as we speak, at least on this forum.
XerX
Untalented Pleb

Post by XerX »

I recently just came back to this forum, and I had no idea there were any more than 1 SMBX contest in the works. (I only knew of MAGL).
Zha Hong Lang
"HTMI - Hyper Text Markup Interface"
First name: ZHL
Pronouns: Male

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

Yeah, it's quite interesting. We have a MaGL ripoff called CaAC X, MaGL raocow quote edition, SNaPaN-MaGL, (Submit Names and Pick a Name) and the multi-forum World Map Contest. There's also a writing contest, though that's just a random talkhaus thing we decided to do.
(Formerly Jayoshi)
Picochilla
The eternal Cuddles

Post by Picochilla »

imma gonna try.
100% Approved!
Patooties are Talkhaus' best thing!
So... I just put in my Youtube-Channel
XerX
Untalented Pleb

Post by XerX »

I have some news everyone. We've gotten a very generous donation of prizes from another user at MFGG. The prize pool has been expanded to an even bigger size. (More than x2). There are now a total of 19 games to choose from.

The prizes are now the following :
- Crypt of the NecroDancer
- Dino D-Day
- Call of Duty : World at War
- ARMA : Cold War Assault
- ORION : Prelude
- Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine
- Borderlands: Game of the Year
- Rayman® Origins
- Worms Armageddon
- Serious Sam HD: Gold Edition
- Gravity Ghost
- Dead Space Pack (Both 1 & 2)
- Duke Nukem Forever
- Alien Breed 3: Descent
- Bulletstorm™
- Hamilton's Great Adventure
- METAL SLUG 3
- Rise of the Triad
- Serious Sam 3 BFE Gold

I would like to thank the user who donated these games for this contest. It was very kind of him.
Zha Hong Lang

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

Hey guys this contest officially has a bigger reward than MaGL X 2
(Formerly Jayoshi)
XerX
Untalented Pleb

Post by XerX »

Jayoshi wrote:Hey guys this contest officially has a bigger reward than MaGL X 2
That's bad, right? :c
Zha Hong Lang

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

XerX wrote:
Jayoshi wrote:Hey guys this contest officially has a bigger reward than MaGL X 2
That's bad, right? :c
idk maybe everyone will do the maker contest
(Formerly Jayoshi)
Quiversee
Oh man, I got nothin!

Post by Quiversee »

Random new guy saying I'm in! Eager to see what people submit for this...also curious how many entries will be in which theme. Anyway, looking forward to seeing this through.
XerX
Untalented Pleb

Post by XerX »

I'm gonna go ahead and give this a bump.

Only 3 more weeks to sign up and finish your submissions.
XerX
Untalented Pleb

Post by XerX »

10 more days! Get those levels in!
Quiversee
Oh man, I got nothin!

Post by Quiversee »

Did you get my level submission? I sent you a PM with it awhile back but my name isn't bolded in the initial post. If not should I just resubmit here?
XerX
Untalented Pleb

Post by XerX »

I did get it. My bad.
XerX
Untalented Pleb

Post by XerX »

2 More days to submit! Remember October 13th at 11:59 AM GMT is the deadline!
Heraga

Post by Heraga »

What happend to your site?
Vinyl
The anti-hero nobody wanted, but everyone needed
First name: Just call me CJ
Pronouns: Is this a meme

Post by Vinyl »

Nin wrote:What happend to your site?
He bulldozed it
XerX
Untalented Pleb

Post by XerX »

Hi everyone. You're probably wondering where the results are. Well I got em, right here. First off, I just want to thank everyone that participated in this contest. All of your levels were great and I'm glad to see some creativity come out of this editor. Kudos to y'all!

Alright now on to the reviews!

PaperPlayerX - MontyMole & the Holy Grail
When first walking into this level, it looks really well designed. The start offers a fair amount of difficulty, and doesn't escalate too quickly...that is, until you pass the first pipe. Oh dear god why. First off, a "floating bridge" of hard blocks with wings seems like a great idea at first, but there are so many things that could go wrong with it. The blocks that come on screen could come by and leave the remaining behind making the bridge more of a nuisance over anything. It also doesn't help that the bridges peak will come up one block too close for Super Mario to pass through, and will either let the player fall to his/her death, get crushed, or get hurt from the piranha plant. That's just the fist few screens though. After that I'm met with some spinning platforms, 1 bullet blaster turret (red) that shoots monty moles at me in this tiny hole, and 2 pipes that generate giant monty moles. Seems easy, but really it's aggrivating. You have to rush through there (or be super fucking skilled) to survive this, cause you're generally blindly falling to the next platform hoping you'll make it while dodging the endless enemies coming at you. I've gotten past this point once. That's it. Following that, a crowded hallway with one way platforms preventing the player to jump over the monty moles, while dodging wrenches. The fact that there is a space 1 block high between the one way platforms and the solid block staircase basically tells me that forced damage is at play here. Took my damage, and found a cluster of enemies and wrenches waiting for me above.

I cannot beat this level. Maybe it's because I suck, but it's not very fun and not very good.

4/10
-------------------

Ivy - Jungle Hijinxs
A shorter, cute looking level involving donkey kong swinging from vines avoiding enemies. Kinda felt barren but other than that, it was simple and straight forward. Nice design. Felt like I was in a jungle.

6/10
-------------------

Picochilla - Camouflage
Interesting use of the sizable blocks. A pretty short level with a decent amount of enemies. Nice secret bonus room. Felt like I actually deserved to find it, which is good. Oddly though, thwomps in the underground doesn't really fit, but that's just me. Nothing else to say except it was a nice slip n slide.

7/10
-------------------

leod - Take the A-Train
(level not found)
-------------------

Tinkerbell - Wario's Cellar
Very nice ghost cellar. Design was nice and simple. Enemy placement was well done and the difficulty wasn't too bad. I do have one issue with this level, and that was the thwomp x fire x thwomp section. Trying to get past that (if even possible) seems a bit too difficult. Otherwise, great level. Found it quite enjoyable.

8/10
-------------------

Megar - Falcon Sprint 2
A race against the clock to get to the end of the course, just like in FZero! Going at top speeds avoiding obsticles and enemies, within the very short time limit of 30 seconds. This was a very fun, albiet, short level. I don't have much else to say.

7/10

-------------------

Quiversee - Mysterious Moving Mansion
I gotta say, this level was pretty fantastic. The use of the tracks and blocks was a great idea and was done really well. There was only one time when the blocks moved at odd times and that was when I was coming back from a secret, but going back through a pipe and returning fixed it. There were some things I found that could be fixed (or if Nintendo actually made blocks easier to manage on tracks) was the long block track room. The first firebar felt like a hit or just-barely-miss moment, and if you're Super/Raccoon Mario in this section you're gonna have a bad time with the blocks going up diagonally, as you'll get stuck and have to take damage from the firebar if you stood on the wrong block. Another thing is if you manage to rush to the front of the block train, the smallest block train becomes jumbled and generally impossible to jump on. The use of the (presumably) hundred tracks really can mess with one's mind as things seem to feel distorted or coming at you from a different direction. This level was hard, and it took me a few tries to complete it, but it was enjoyable, and that's what matters. Again, fantastic level.

9/10

-------------------

Ultramario - Pace Yourself
Short level with a nice gimmick. Needing to spare the bullet bills to use for the seemingly impossible gaps is a nice use of them. The level was very nice, simplistic and overall pretty easy. Enemies were placed apart pretty well. The lakitu (in this case) is actually a nice touch and a bonus if you want to reach the top of the flag pole.

7/10

-------------------

Friendly Dictator - Go Go Podoboo
I don't know what to say about this level. It involved a lot of screaming and fire. Decent level with a fair bit of difficulty, dodging some fire and ghosts. There are a few things I can nitpick about it though. First off, the speeding skull raft on rails was okay, but trying to time that jump between two moving grinders while riding this thing in circles is a little too tricky. Anothing thing I'm gonna mention is the boss. I was able to skip him entirely because of the lakitu. Not a very good idea to have one there if you ask me.

5/10

-------------------

Burning Fox - Pikmins' Big Day Out
A cute level involving pikmin. I've never played a pikmin game in my life so I don't know if there were any references or symbols made out of coins or blocks but I assume there were. The small puzzles were cute and the level was fairly easy. I don't have any complaints about it whatsoever. Had some nice secret areas and bonus areas that you could access if you figured it out. The ending was cute too.

8/10

And our winners are :

1st Place: Quiversee
2nd Place : Tinkerbell , Burning Fox
3rd Place : Ultramario, Megar, Picochilla

Congratulations to our winners. Thank you all for partiticipating. If you would like your prize, send me a PM and we can talk there.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

i'm glad i won the Make a Mediocre Level contest!
XerX
Untalented Pleb

Post by XerX »

Ivy wrote:i'm glad i won the Make a Mediocre Level contest!
I guess I just suck at hosting contests. I really wanted to host one where everyone would have fun, but I guess that never happened. Maybe people just don't like me...aha...
Quiversee
Oh man, I got nothin!

Post by Quiversee »

Wow. I wasn't expecting that end result, but I'm so glad you enjoyed my stage! I had fun making it, and yeah the areas you highlighted as needing a fix, I was aware of, but couldn't think of a good way to handle it. Especially the de-synching blocks at that one secret (though it is possible to complete that section once the blocks are de-synced).

I'm gonna have to keep my eye on other contests, this was my first one and it was good fun!
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

XerX wrote: I guess I just suck at hosting contests. I really wanted to host one where everyone would have fun, but I guess that never happened. Maybe people just don't like me...aha...
i am just making a self-deprecative remark about my 6/10 score, don't mind me!