(shouting)

SNaPaN-MaGL X - HUB PART 1!!

would you like to participate in some fun contests? would you like to create some fun contests? well ^_^
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023
Pronouns: she/her

SNaPaN-MaGL X - HUB PART 1!!

Post by snoruntpyro »

Form Link, for reference (closed!)

DOWNLOAD THE FULL CONTEST HERE

NOTE: I've been informed by Zyglrox that apparently this same idea was basically Ignoritus' MaGLX2 proposal. In that case, WHAT A COINCIDENCE.

Use SMBX! Lua is allowed!

So! I got this idea while I was playing Drawful with a bunch of other people. Basically, the idea is to submit any level names you want into a giant pool of level names, and everyone that wants to participate is sent 3 of those names randomly. It's basically a MaGL X except the users make the name generator.

I think this could be interesting. What do you guys think? If enough interest is shown, I'll make the level name pool submission thingy on Google Forms or something.

Scoring Rubric
Personal Fun Factor: 20 points
Other Person Fun Factor: 20 points
Music: 5 points
Graphics: 10 points
Level Name Adherence: 15 points
Judges
  • Pyro
  • Ivy
  • Pichu
List of Participants, etc
Requested Level Names
  • Dragon Fogel
  • Sedron
  • pholtos
  • Phencer42 and Doctor Sponge
  • Friendly Dictator
  • S1eth
  • FluffiMasta
  • Mikkofier
  • Lunatic Quark
  • Granix
  • Skully
  • Mabel
  • Louiejub
  • Questionable Man
  • WasabiJellyfish
  • Minnakht
  • Grey V
  • Skulldug13
Levels Received
  • Questionable Man
  • Friendly Dictator
  • Louiejub
  • Mikkofier
  • Dragon Fogel
  • Minnakht
  • pholtos
  • sedron
  • Mabel
  • Dog in Da Grass
  • Skulldug13
  • Lunatic Quark
  • S1eth
Broken (?) Levels, Responses on Level State Pending
  • N/A
Levels Judged by Pyro (13/13)
  • Questionable Man
  • Mabel
  • Skulldug13
  • pholtos
  • Friendly Dictator
  • sedron
  • Louiejub
  • Lunatic Quark
  • Dog in Da Grass
  • Minnakht
  • Dragon Fogel
  • Mikkofier
  • S1eth
Levels Judged by Ivy (13/13)
  • Questionable Man
  • Friendly Dictator
  • Louiejub
  • Mikkofier
  • Dragon Fogel
  • Minnakht
  • pholtos
  • sedron
  • Mabel
  • Dog in Da Grass
  • Skulldug13
  • Lunatic Quark
  • S1eth
Levels Judged by Pichu (10/13)
  • Questionable Man
  • Skulldug13
  • Mabel
  • pholtos
  • Friendly Dictator
  • sedron
  • Louiejub
  • Dog in Da Grass
  • Dragon Fogel
  • Mikkofier
  • Lunatic Quark
  • Minnakht
  • S1eth (sort of)
RESULTS
13th -

Skulldug13 - skulls mean bad medicine

- 12.33 (3/23/11) **EVERYBODY'S LEAST FAVOURITE**
Pyro:
Total: 3/70
Personal Fun Factor: 0/20
Other Person Fun Factor: 1/20
Music: 1/5
Graphics: 0/10
Level Name Adherence: 1/15
Comment: Atrocious. Absolutely fucking atrocious. The level looks like vomit, with random reused MaGLX1 assets (RANDOM METROID FUSION COMPUTERS), and the music is all directly lifted from X1 as well (besides like, two tracks). On top of that, the second star is absurdly stupid (jump off the cliif in the too many forts section?!), and the level is just an unfun trainwreck in general. Also, you're told someone wants to meet you on the second floor, but you never get to the second floor, and suddenly you're fighting Luigi. And the level talks about drugs. The "skulls" on the medicine don't even remotely look like skulls. Also, fun fact: This level was unbeatable in its submitted state!! The SMB1 cross blocks in the secret section were added by me. They were not there before. The jump was impossible. Just...fucking awful.

Ivy:
Total: 23/70
Personal Fun Factor: 4/20
Music: 3/5
Graphics: 3/10
Level Name Adherence: 12/15
Comment: I have too much to say about this level, so I'll just say nothing.

Pichu:
Total: 11/70
Personal Fun Factor: 3/20 points
Other Person Fun Factor: 2/20 points
Music: 3/5 points
Graphics: 1/10 points
Level Name Adherence: 2/15 points
Comment: this level literally hurt my soul
12th -

Mabel - Oh no. Oh GOD no. It's the biggest SMBX forum signature ever. RUN FOR YOUR LIVES.

- 17.33 (9/33/10)
Pyro:
Total: 9/70
Personal Fun Factor: 1/20
Music: 2/5
Graphics: 1/10
Level Name Adherence: 4/15
Comment: i ded it. i savd teh wurld.

Ivy:
Total: 33/70
Personal Fun Factor: 5/20
Other Person Fun Factor: 2/20
Music: 5/5
Graphics: 8/10
Level Name Adherence: 13/15
Comment: There was little running for your life involved. The music didn't seem to be configured properly but I gave the soundtrack a listen and it was definitely appropriate.

Pichu:
Total: 10/70
Personal Fun Factor: 1/20
Other Person Fun Factor: 2/20
Music: 1/5
Graphics: 1/10
Level Name Adherence: 5/15
Comment: finally, a level that touches base with my innermost fears
11th -

pholtos - Never submit passwords through Google Forms.

- 23.33 (25/34/11)
Pyro:
Total: 25/70
Personal Fun Factor: 8/20
Other Person Fun Factor: 4/20
Level Name Adherence: 3/15
Comment: :3

Ivy:
Personal Fun Factor: 12/20
Graphics: 6/10
L.N.Adherence: 9/15
Total: 34/70
Comment: Can't sink into the white block 7/10 remake. Plagiarism -100/10. Cuteness factor +7063. The level name is obviously an abbreviation which stands for "New Super Pholtos Twins: Gliding Freely," but unfortunately only one Pholtos was playable.

Pichu:
Total Score: 11/70
Personal Fun Factor: 4/20
Graphics: 2/10
Level Name Adherence: 1/15
Comments: oh that waaa-a-a-a-aaacky pholtos
10th -

Mikkofier - 40 Minutes

- 36.33 (25/35/49)
Pyro:
Total: 29/70
Personal Fun Factor: 9/20
Other Person Fun Factor: 5/20
Music: 4/5
Graphics: 7/10
Comment: It's a fun little romp while it lasts, and that's just fine in my opinion. Needs more 40 minutes though. skypehausmemes.mp4

Ivy:
Total: 49/70
Personal Fun Factor: 15/20
Other Person Fun Factor: 9/20
Level Name Adherence: 14/15
Comment: I can't resist the mushroom gorge song. I get hyped every time I hear it. Not to mention 40 minutes hype on top of that.

Pichu:
Total: 35/70
Personal Fun Factor: 10/20
Other Person Fun Factor: 5/20
Graphics: 5/10
Comment: Adorable
9th -

louiejub - Factory

- 36.34 (32/53/24)
Pyro:
Total: 32/70
Personal Fun Factor: 7/20
Other Person Fun Factor: 7/20
Level Name Adherence: 10/15
Comment: Really nice use of vanilla graphics here! I'm also glad you made a sort of research factory level without completely flooding the level with text. But it ended so quickly!! What was there was really well-made and fun, but there just wasn't much of it! Good job!

Ivy:
Total: 53/70
Personal Fun Factor: 16/20
Other Person Fun Factor: 14/20
L.N.Adherence: 14/15
Comment: Big fan of the pseudoscience and unique aesthetics intermingling islands and concrete!

Pichu:
Total: 24/70
Personal Fun Factor: 7/20
Other Person Fun Factor: 6/20
Graphics: 4/10
Comments: This level was interesting. I like the flavor and the hint at an interesting backstory going on, but there’s very little substance and each area hardly has anything interesting going on besides the atmosphere. Interesting musical choices but some of them don’t really add to the atmosphere, particularly the lava area’s felt out of place. The graphics are a nice use of vanilla but they often feel cluttered and don’t have a consistent palette or theme. Also, to be honest, when I think of factories I don’t really think of test facilities, but maybe that’s just me?
8th -

Dog in Da Grass - Terms of Service

- 38.33 (36/45/34)
Pyro:
Total: 36/70
Personal Fun Factor: 5/20
Level Name Adherence: 15/15
Comment: It looked pretty bland, and it wasn't a very meaty level, but it followed the name very well. Too well, in fact. Wondering where that stupid 2nd star is? Read the terms of service. Yes, I did look inside the level file. Sorry!!

Ivy:
Total: 45/70
Other Person Fun Factor: 9/20
Comment: Found the hint right away, I'm a good little ToS reader. Nice concept, but the rebel path could have been fleshed out more! 100% name adherence for the fact that the level exits when you choose to disagree.

Pichu:
Total: 34/70
Personal Fun Factor: 9/20
Other Person Fun Factor: 10/20
Level Name Adherence: 9/15
Comment: Okay okay, the actual level level of this is pretty meh, feeling like bland cookie cutter SMW level design. The ‘joke’ here though, the second half of the normal exit caught me off guard and I appreciate it. The second half is really confusing until you realize what’s going on though, and it’s too easy to die in the office imo. I really dislike the method for getting the second star, haha. I’m glad I found the Mario block by accident. The graphics and music were unremarkable but not bad.
7th -

Minnakht - Sunken Sanctuary

- 39.33 (35/58/25)
Pyro:
Comment: While the first star doesn't offer much, the second star is one of the most clever second stars I've ever seen. Rather than saying this is absurd, I'm blaming it on me not paying attention. I did have to look inside the lunadll.lua file, but once I saw the solution in there I felt super bad because it's honestly really clever. I can't imagine someone other than me being all like "wow cool" about a math-related second star, though...

Ivy:
Total: 58/70
Personal Fun Factor: 18/20
Other Person Fun Factor: 16/20
Comment: I get a brutal thrill watching my frozen ice cube enemies rise to the surface and shatter, killing others along the way. I got less of a thrill realizing I had to do math. Never thought I'd be typing 254 with Mario's body.

Pichu:
Total: 25/70
Personal Fun Factor: 5/20 points
Other Person Fun Factor: 8/20 points
Music: 2/5 points
Graphics: 2/10 points
Level Name Adherence: 8/15 points
Comments: I… I don’t really get it? The graphics were pretty sloppy, the music was just… there, and the whole experience was pretty confusing. It’s interesting tech but the gimmick for the second star just felt like a chore rather than a fun experience.
6th -

S1eth - Obligatory Touhou Level

- 47.33 (44/51/47)*
Pyro:
Total: 44/70
Other Person Fun Factor: 6/20
Graphics: 10/10
Comment: For what IS actually here, it's amazing. The level looks FANTASTIC, the visual effects are super neat, and the parabeetles are really cool too! But it ends so quickly! I'd love to see a finished version of this level in the future :3

Ivy:
Total: 51/70
Personal Fun Factor: 8/20
Graphics: 9/10
L.N.Adherence: 15/15
Comment: I thought this was unloseable, but then I actually played as Peach instead of mario and did it haha. What a neat gameplay mixer-upper! Some of the bullet patterns seemed damn near guaranteed damage, but I'm just not particularly good at this kind of stuff in the first place. Really solid programming job; even the HP can go above the 5 star initial amount!

Pichu:
So. Pichu couldn't judge this level because OPENGL. I was able to do it with unexplainable black magic. So for Pichu's score I just averaged the other two scores. Sorry S1eth!!
5th -

sedron - Google

- 49.66 (50/64/35)
Pyro:
Total: 50/70
Personal Fun Factor: 17/20
Other Person Fun Factor: 11/20
Level Name Adherence: 8/15
Comment: This level got really creative with its platformy setups (Yoshis at the beginning, the firebars)! The whole gimmick of the level kept the gameplay of the level constantly changing and unique while keeping a feeling of connected-ness. I liked the flavor text, too!

Ivy:
Total: 64/70
Other Person Fun Factor: 18/20
Comment: Sensational! I like that you managed to get some good name adherence with "Google" without making one of those 4th wall types of levels.

Pichu:
Personal Fun Factor: 11/20
Comment: Man, this level had great potential. Each of the level ideas were interesting but… it felt like each section just kind of ended. They were short, tight, threw out interesting ideas and didn’t overstay their welcome, but they just didn’t feel like much. Of course, their short nature made it so that replaying the level wasn’t a chore, but they were just unsatisfactory. The graphical theme is very eye-pleasing, and the music choices are fine but they get repetitive. Also, to be honest, the google thing just seemed like a lazy way to tie level ideas together without really taking advantage of the title :/
4th -

Friendly Dictator - Nobody Knows What It's Like To Be a Shy Guy

- 53 (60/51/50) **PYRO'S FAVOURITE**
Pyro:
Total: 60/70
Personal Fun Factor: 18/20
Other Person Fun Factor: 13/20
Graphics: 10/10
Comment: PLAYABLE SHY GUY!! :3 The level had a really great charm to it, and you made the Birdo fight at the end actually pretty interesting without changing much! Also SOMEONE OTHER THAN ME KNOWS ABOUT ALL NIGHT NIPPIN MARIO BROS, WHAT

Ivy:
Personal Fun Factor: 14/20
Other Person Fun Factor: 11/20
Comment: I hope we see more of dimension Z-86 some time in the future.

Pichu:
Total: 50/70
Comment: I might’ve had more fun in this level than I should’ve! Although it was pretty rompy I really liked it :) Interesting and fun spin on the level title, good taste in music although maybe not extremely fitting, perfect tileset choices and very cute enemy resprites, and a surprisingly tricky yet fun Birdo fight! Make more levels please :D
3rd -

Questionable Man - The Monster at the End of This Level

- 54.33 (52/59/52)
Pyro:
Total: 52/70
Other Person Fun Factor: 12/20
Level Name Adherence: 10/15
Comment: This is the kind of level that I'd like way more than most people, because it's a really platformy-based level with a lot of tough but reasonably doable jumps. There are a couple finicky things here, like that podoboo jump at the end with the firebar and Hammer Bro. There were some really neat things here, like the jumping Grinders here or that adorable Thwomp resprite :3. The second star was kind of unneeded, but it was funny!

Ivy:
Total: 59/70
Personal Fun Factor: 16/20
Other Person Fun Factor: 16/20
Comment: I was predicting Toad's descent into blind rage at Mario, making him the true monster all along. I'm glad I was wrong, and that the second star put him in a more friendly light.

Pichu:
Total: 52/70
Personal Fun Factor: 13/20
Other Person Fun Factor: 17/20
Level Name Adherence: 8/15
Comments: Man, this level was honestly really fun! Learning each new obstacle was, just… fun! The varied and consistently interesting design coupled with the perfectly fitting music and consistently bright and happy visuals is just the recipe for enjoyment. The writing was pretty funny too! The only thing was that, well, this level was a bit too hard for my tastes. As much as I enjoyed learning an obstacle and then being able to quickly run through it afterwords, I died too much to not get a bit frustrated. But hey, you made a podoboo jump not annoying :D
****2ND PLACE**** -

Dragon Fogel - Haunted Skies

- 54.66 (51/54/59) **PICHU'S FAVOURITE**
Pyro:
Comment: I really like the whole "ghosts vs. skeletons" war going on through the whole level, and there was a lot of charm to it! The whole communication is down side switch thingy is kind of forced and nonsensical, but I really shouldn't be complaining about storytelling in a SMBX level. The Paralars gun and flamethrower were really funny, and the zero-gravity skull rafts were neat. However, the actual level looked kind of bland, just clouds over a SMB1 night background, with a ghost house at the end. The resprites were neat, though!

Ivy:
Total: 54/70
Comment: Winner of the "Make a Spoopy Level" contest. Music could've been spoookier in certain circumstances.

Pichu:
Comment: Really fun and goofy to boot! Loved the music and graphical choices, love the dialogue, love just about everything about this level :D
********1ST PLACE******** -

Lunatic Quark - Time, Space and a Chocolate Chip Cookie

- 55.33 (62/59/45) **IVY'S FAVOURITE**
Pyro:
Total: 62/70
Personal Fun Factor: 19/20
Comment: WOW! This level was ADORABLE!! The gimmick with the time portals was pretty neat, and the antigravity beams were used very well, especially in the second half! SUPER great job!!

Ivy:
Personal Fun Factor: 19/20
Other Person Fun Factor: 15/20
Comment: This level made me super happy. I'm glad that changing the past worked out nicely and didn't retroactively remove Sheath's cookie from ever existing.

Pichu:
Total: 45/70
Other Person Fun Factor: 12/20
Level Name Adherence: 11/15
Comment: I liked this level, it was pretty fun. Although it was mostly the same music throughout, it worked. The graphics were a little sloppy but it didn’t get in the way of enjoyment too much. The writing was silly but it worked, and I thought the interpretation of the name was pretty neat! Also I liked the multiple worlds gimmick a lot, with what each one presented.
Last edited by snoruntpyro 8 years ago, edited 62 times in total.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Re: Submit Level Names and Then Make a Good Level Out of One of the Total Submitted Names Contest (SLNaTMaGLOoOotTSNC)

Post by Dragon Fogel »

This sounds like fun, count me in.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
sedron
im proud of you kid

Re: Submit Level Names and Then Make a Good Level Out of One of the Total Submitted Names Contest (SLNaTMaGLOoOotTSNC)

Post by sedron »

I'd maybe probably do something for this maybe.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Hmm
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
DoctorSponge
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by DoctorSponge »

If it's okay, phencer42 and I would be up for it, participating together (as in MaGL X's past).
Yukkuri Shiteitte ne~
Friendly Dictator
rad
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Friendly Dictator »

this sounds cool, i'd be interested in entering
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander

Post by Sorel »

*state interest here*
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
Mikkofier
What about Ron magic?
First name: Mikko J. Fuzzygrumbles

Post by Mikkofier »

Ok.
Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.
-Kurt Vonnegut
Context-free Supper Mario Broth Roulette! NOTE: Potential Jumpscare warning!
Avatar source (for most of them).
CloudyCloud

Post by CloudyCloud »

I might be able to give name, but I won't be sure if I can make a level.
Lunikyuu
I forgot what I was going to put here after MaGL X3

Post by Lunikyuu »

I have interest
Lespna01

Post by Lespna01 »

CloudyCloud wrote:I might be able to give name, but I won't be sure if I can make a level.
Same w/me. I'm not sure if I can make a good level, and is this in Lunar Magic?
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023

Post by snoruntpyro »

This will be in SMBX. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that.

EDIT: also you can submit names now!
S1eth

Post by S1eth »

Pyro wrote:This will be in SMBX. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that.

EDIT: also you can submit names now!
Can you only submit once? Are you supposed to put all level names into a single text box? And this is anonymous, even though only participants are supposed to submit level names...? You'll also have to make sure that participants aren't given their own level name(s).

For example, you could have everyone submit 3 names, and then redistribute those names so that everyone ends up with 3 names from other participants, so that every single name is guaranteed to be offered as a choice, and we don't end up with 5 people getting the same name.
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023

Post by snoruntpyro »

S1eth wrote:Things
I intended it to be open for anyone and that anyone can submit an infinite amount of level names. I didn't make this very clear, sorry! With the huge amount of names I've already gotten, I highly doubt anyone would get their own names. While it could happen, I don't think it will be an issue. To make sure no one gets duplicate names, I'll just remove them from the pool once someone gets them. Also, just one level name per text box please.
S1eth

Post by S1eth »

It's a shame that you can submit names and have no guarantee that anyone will ever even see them.
If every participant receives 3 names, and let's say there are 10 participants and 50 sent names, 20 will never even be a choice.

So if you want people to make levels with your name, you're incentivized to spam the form with a huge amount of level names.
You could easily make half the submitted level names be your names. (they'll be pretty bad because you have to come up with a lot of them)
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023

Post by snoruntpyro »

Yeah, that's a good point. I'm going to get rid of spam names, however, or ones that obviously came from the same person. Thanks for the feedback, though.
Lunikyuu
I forgot what I was going to put here after MaGL X3

Post by Lunikyuu »

How many level names would you think would be too much? I kind of got creative on my walk yesterday and came up with like 8...
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023

Post by snoruntpyro »

Probably ~10 level names? Honestly as long as you're spamming I don't think there should be a limit.
Zha Hong Lang
"HTMI - Hyper Text Markup Interface"
First name: ZHL
Pronouns: Male

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

Here's a suggestion on the title, since I'll probably be too busy for the McContest:

Submit a Name
Pick a Name
Make a Good Level

So, the full name would be SaNPaN-MaGL. Does that sound like a good name?
If you want plural "levels", though, then here's another:

Submit Names and Pick a Name

Make a Good Level

So that would be SNaPaN-MaGL.
(Formerly Jayoshi)
Granix

Re: SNaPaN-MaGL X (Level Name Submissions Open)

Post by Granix »

I would like to take part
Skully

Post by Skully »

I'll take a stab at it.
GenesisJames
Music reviewer and drawer of cute girls.

Post by GenesisJames »

This sounds interesting; count me in! I've wanted to be a bit more active on here, so I guess participating in more contests is a good way to do it. XD