(shouting)

MaGL X2 Relay Level (What is a level? A miserable little pile of...)

would you like to participate in some fun contests? would you like to create some fun contests? well ^_^

What shall this glorious abomination be called?

Poll ended at 8 years ago

Life, the universe, and everything
7%
You only have yourself to blame
44%
The Way of the Torch
3%
The MAGLX Olympiad
8%
59 Screens
13%
The Relay Level
2%
A Really Long Level
5%
That which dwells outside the haus
2%
Terrestrial Schizophrenia
10%
Baby Got Serac
4%

Total votes: 97

Ometeotl

Re: MaGL X2 Relay Level (Postgame Colab Level - Loki Edition - 29% done)

Post by Ometeotl »

I didn't so much as touch Luna other than to update it as required.
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

Willhart wrote:
Ometeotl wrote:Here we go.
Level seems to crash on lunalua v0.7 beta.
It works for me. Did you update eventu? (if you didn't you can replace the contents of LuaScriptsLib/eventu.lua with https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30847069/eventu.lua)

Also some things:
That flying Charlie is really annoying after Hoeloe's screen and it persists throughout the rest of the section, is there an easy way to get rid of him? It's especially annoying during Ometeotl's screen (which is actually bigger than a screen, but that's not a huge deal)
Also, very rarely, Hoeloe's screen breaks, but I'm not sure why (like I hit the block but nothing happens).
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

FrozenQuills wrote:
Willhart wrote:
It works for me. Did you update eventu? (if you didn't you can replace the contents of LuaScriptsLib/eventu.lua with https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30847069/eventu.lua)
Did you use the version that Rednaxela posted a little earlier? It did not work with updated eventu.lua either.
Last edited by Willhart 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
kuposan3
doesn't post much
First name: Robin
Pronouns: she/her

Post by kuposan3 »

Ok, here's my thing. It's kind of dumb, but hopefully okay.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zpv52z25t8b4w ... g.zip?dl=0
(note: my username is kuposan3 but i label everything as / use the name Shagg, sorry if this causes any confusion)
:trans_pride: :ace_pride:
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

Oh I'm using the old stable versions of everything, so it's probably something else.

(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Pronouns: they/them
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Post by Rednaxela »

Willhart wrote:That one seems to cause the same error too. I wonder if I've installed the lua wrong somehow, even though other levels with lua seem to work fine for me.
Just to check so I can try to reproduce it later, when does the error occur? Right away when loading, or right away when the level starts running, or later at a specific time?
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Rednaxela wrote:
Willhart wrote:That one seems to cause the same error too. I wonder if I've installed the lua wrong somehow, even though other levels with lua seem to work fine for me.
Just to check so I can try to reproduce it later, when does the error occur? Right away when loading, or right away when the level starts running, or later at a specific time?
Right away when loading, on the levels it has happened so far.
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

FrozenQuills wrote:
Willhart wrote:

Also some things:
That flying Charlie is really annoying after Hoeloe's screen and it persists throughout the rest of the section, is there an easy way to get rid of him? It's especially annoying during Ometeotl's screen (which is actually bigger than a screen, but that's not a huge deal)
Also, very rarely, Hoeloe's screen breaks, but I'm not sure why (like I hit the block but nothing happens).
I just killed it on the screen each time it appears, since you have plenty of room.
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

FrozenQuills wrote:
I did notice that when testing, but couldn't work out what was wrong. I can only think of two possible causes, and both are problems with the underlying engine rather than the Lua code (a problem with the Lua code wouldn't manifest itself in this way).

The first potential cause is

Code: Select all

onEvent
occasionally not being triggered. Of the two causes, this is the most likely.

The second potential cause is essentially the same, but in this case it would be that SMBX is not triggering the "hit" event (rather than LunaLua not triggering the Lua hook).

Either way, I can't do much to fix it.
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans

Post by Rednaxela »

Hoeloe wrote:I did notice that when testing, but couldn't work out what was wrong. I can only think of two possible causes, and both are problems with the underlying engine rather than the Lua code (a problem with the Lua code wouldn't manifest itself in this way).

The first potential cause is

Code: Select all

onEvent
occasionally not being triggered. Of the two causes, this is the most likely.

The second potential cause is essentially the same, but in this case it would be that SMBX is not triggering the "hit" event (rather than LunaLua not triggering the Lua hook).
The result of testing to differentiate the two cases (i.e. by enabling a built-in SMBX action to the same event) would be useful from my perspective. The former has a high probability I could do something about it if I can reproduce it frequently enough. The later has a low probability I could do something about it (very unlikely, though not quite impossible).

About how often does it seem to fail to work, roughly speaking? 1 in 5? 1 in 20? 1 in 100? I'm interested in looking into this.
Last edited by Rednaxela 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

Rednaxela wrote:About how often does it seem to fail to work, roughly speaking? 1 in 5? 1 in 20? 1 in 100? I'm interested in looking into this.
It's around 1/20.

Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans

Post by Rednaxela »

Hoeloe wrote:I did notice that when testing
FrozenQuills wrote:It's around 1/20.
So far I'm having trouble getting this glitch to occur at all. When either of you had it occur, did you always start the level from section 1? I'm wondering because for this test I've been starting from in section 2 and not had it occur yet.
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

Rednaxela wrote:
Hoeloe wrote:I did notice that when testing
FrozenQuills wrote:It's around 1/20.
So far I'm having trouble getting this glitch to occur at all. When either of you had it occur, did you always start the level from section 1? I'm wondering because for this test I've been starting from in section 2 and not had it occur yet.
I've been starting from section 2. Maybe it's rarer than I thought but it still happened to me.

Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans

Post by Rednaxela »

Hoeloe wrote: and both are problems with the underlying engine rather than the Lua code (a problem with the Lua code wouldn't manifest itself in this way).
Found the cause... but actually the error is in Lua code... but not the level's Lua code.

The way that the LuaScriptsLib\mainV2.lua Lua code does some event queuing for certain types of LunaLua events prevents "onEvent(eventName)" from being called multiple times per onLoop, even with differing eventName values.

I'm able to reliably demonstrate the problem using a test level with two switch blocks tied to different events, and playing in 2-player mode with two marios such that both blocks are hit at the exact same time.

EDIT: Got a fix LuaScriptsLib\mainV2.lua [diff]
Isrieri
Creatively Bankrupt
Pronouns: Male

Post by Isrieri »

Rednaxela wrote: I should have a fixed version a little later tonight (will edit this post if nobody replies)
While you're at it, could you do me a favor: One of these buttmunches ruined my plants. Please re-align my footballs so that they're over the vases.

Also I must express my surprise that no one chose to go due south of me. I laid it out perfect so we could start going down. There's no rule that says we have to follow one another's screens. We could choose to go in multiple different directions. (Though that could understandably get really confusing)
FusionWarrior
Super Sayian Mewtwo Genetic Freak
First name: Jon
Pronouns: Anything Goes

Re: MaGL X2 Relay Level (Postgame Colab Level - Loki Edition - 32% done)

Post by FusionWarrior »

Got a bit of spoiler-filled bypass I noticed
If you can keep a Hammer suit to the part with the disco shell and 4 switches, you can completely and totally bypass hitting said switches, which might break something later, Mayhaps utilize some Lua to reset those colored switches once you reach the second section... and perhaps each section.
ImageImage
raocow wrote:dragon ain't having any of my frosted flakes, that's how I feel
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans

Post by Rednaxela »

Isrieri wrote:
Rednaxela wrote: I should have a fixed version a little later tonight (will edit this post if nobody replies)
While you're at it, could you do me a favor: One of these <rude term> ruined my plants. Please re-align my footballs so that they're over the vases.)
Uh... that's not really a "while I'm at it" thing at all. The fix is to LunaDLL's Lua files, not to the relay level.

In any case though, a quick fix made for you anyway as I don't think anyone is working on the level right now. Looks like the

OK BOYS layer

as a whole was missed when someone moved your section by 1 block.
[new level download here]
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans

Post by Rednaxela »

Ping-ing people who may wish to go next:
No Lynch wrote:.
Kerkec wrote:.
LadySuburu wrote:.
noterday wrote:.
Isrieri
Creatively Bankrupt
Pronouns: Male

Post by Isrieri »

Rednaxela wrote: Uh... that's not really a "while I'm at it" thing at all. The fix is to LunaDLL's Lua files, not to the relay level.
My bad. I would have done it myself but wasn't sure if a second update would have meant more trouble for you or less.
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

It looks like people (mostly Ometeotl) have started using double the space for their screen? Like, instead of having a section where "the next screen" can either be up, down, left or right from the previous screen, people have just started using the space below their screen as an extension of their screen.
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans

Post by Rednaxela »

Ditocoaf wrote:It looks like people (mostly Ometeotl) have started using double the space for their screen? Like, instead of having a section where "the next screen" can either be up, down, left or right from the previous screen, people have just started using the space below their screen as an extension of their screen.
Hmm... Hadn't noticed. I'd say no need to change the few things that have already been made in that way... but heh... people should probably avoid doing more of that.
No Lynch
Pronouns: she

Post by No Lynch »

I'll start working on my section as soon as I get home from school.

Hopefully, with more success than last time now that I have the proper version of Lua updated.
No Lynch
Pronouns: she

Post by No Lynch »

Okay, seriously, some sort of variation of midpoint thing needs to be placed before the "BEES!!" section. It's too tricky, and too far in for having to start from the very beginning after losing there to be reasonable.

I had to turn on God Mode just to be able to survive to make sure my part worked. Okay, here's my share: (Link)

I didn't want to use the block area below my set area of screen, but the "vines supporting the structure" motif wouldn't work if they stopped in the air.

Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

No Lynch wrote:Okay, seriously, some sort of variation of midpoint thing needs to be placed before the "BEES!!" section. It's too tricky, and too far in for having to start from the very beginning after losing there to be reasonable.

I had to turn on God Mode just to be able to survive to make sure my part worked. Okay, here's my share: (Link)

I didn't want to use the block area below my set area of screen, but the "vines supporting the structure" motif wouldn't work if they stopped in the air.

I just moved the start point temporarily to test my section.

It's actually a lot easier than it looks if you just take the figure 8 route around the bottom (jump on the ? block, onto the second level, drop down on one side, rinse and repeat).

Also midpoints will be added eventually, when we're nearer the end. I'll happily do it myself. I would put one on the first screen of the second section. It's only 3 screens before the bees and there's a nice open spot for it.
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

Hoeloe wrote:It's actually a lot easier than it looks if you just take the figure 8 route around the bottom (jump on the ? block, onto the second level, drop down on one side, rinse and repeat).
Yeah, but figuring this out will take a player at least a few deaths. I can't conceive of anyone surviving the bees the first time they see them, which makes your screen definitely the hardest so far.