(shouting)

MaGL X2 Relay Level (What is a level? A miserable little pile of...)

would you like to participate in some fun contests? would you like to create some fun contests? well ^_^

What shall this glorious abomination be called?

Poll ended at 8 years ago

Life, the universe, and everything
7%
You only have yourself to blame
44%
The Way of the Torch
3%
The MAGLX Olympiad
8%
59 Screens
13%
The Relay Level
2%
A Really Long Level
5%
That which dwells outside the haus
2%
Terrestrial Schizophrenia
10%
Baby Got Serac
4%

Total votes: 97

Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Pronouns: they/them
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Re: MaGL X2 Relay Level (Midpoint Testing Edition - 98% done)

Post by Rednaxela »

Dragon Fogel wrote:So how's the most recent version coming along?
Sorry. Meant to get that done last night but I got home unexpectedly late last night and things were busy. Life.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

pholtos wrote:I would be more in favor of sheath's sprite being changed a bit to have a shield moreso than my screen being modified.
To be clear, the only modification I'm thinking of is slowing down the pollen. I set the generators to 1.5 seconds and now the pollen doesn't have to be rushed through, but you can't exactly ignore it either. Maybe you think that's too slow, but I think it's a bit too fast as it is. I notice all the generators are on different timers right now, maybe slowing each of them down by .2 seconds would work out. I'll test that next.

I still get killed often enough to think a midpoint before this screen is warranted, considering how long it takes to get through the section leading up to it. But I also don't like the thought of doing this screen and Mabel's on one life, even with the boss reduced to five hits.

Edit: Slowing the generators by .2 seconds each was pretty reasonable. I think at this point I'd recommend not having any be faster than 1.2, which is the rate of the slowest generator in the current version.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Lejes
https://lejes.talkhaus.com/

Post by Lejes »

Code: Select all

if (v.speedX < 0) then
	u.x = u.x - 3;
else
	u.x = u.x + 20;
end
That's the section of code for pushing Crocomire back (I think I had it as + 20 for testing purposes and it is indeed + 3 in the version in the actual level). I initially had it at only 2 pixels, and sped it up because that felt slow. Maybe I just got used to the slowness of 2, though, and 3 is still too slow. Feel free to change it.
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans

Post by Rednaxela »

New Version Here:
MaGLX2Relay-58F.zip

Only changes in this one to section 4 (the flaming autoscroll area), implementing the various suggestions/comments for it.
Made the overall autoscroll faster, made Lejes' thing take less hits, made the cute cat-bat-thing stop shooting Rinkas at a certain times, implemented the suggestions to make Cinro's section work more how it should (no autoscroll/rinkas during it), and finally made Nopor's demonstration of power more clear.
Does it seems more reasonable now?

I think it feels pretty manageable/good here except that I still can't really manage the jump at the top of Cinro's screen but I think that's at least in part just me being bad at things.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Seems okay after a quick test, though I haven't gotten past Cirno's screen yet either. A power-up at Crocomire might not be bad, either before or after. You can tank one set of spikes, but you can't use a second mushroom to get past the other due to placement. Maybe if you powered up before jumping on the first spike you could tank the second. I'll try it again in the morning.

You can also still cheat Cirno's Eerie generator, though. Maybe have less space to jump up, so the generator's more likely to be on-screen when you start? I'm not sure how to get this to work, but maybe it's not so bad if you can beat the generator if you know it's there. Should still be tricky enough for most players.

Also! I think we can safely replace "PRESS Y" with "PRESS TANOOKI" since that's an established thing in the hub.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Okay, made it to the end of Cirno's screen by tanking hits... and, uh, the screen doesn't start moving again. This may somehow be related to the fact that I jumped up to the second level before the Eeries started spawning.
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans

Post by Rednaxela »

So, not enough time tonight for me to make significant edits based on the todo list, but... anyone but Dragon Fogel or myself tested since the most recent update, and thus have thoughts on the end of Cinro's screen (or anything else in the section)?

That suggestion that was made of having a powerup before or after crocamire would probably help but I'm not sure if it would help enough or not personally.
Cinro wrote:Ping
Or, any comments from the maker of that screen?
Dragon Fogel wrote:Also! I think we can safely replace "PRESS Y" with "PRESS TANOOKI" since that's an established thing in the hub.
I for one like that idea
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Cirno wrote:Ping
You spelled their username wrong, let me take care of that for you.
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans

Post by Rednaxela »

Whoops, I fail at tohos
Lejes

Post by Lejes »

That little open box in the bricks was sized specifically for the existing "Press Y!" text. I guess the box could be filled in, though, white text still shows up well against purple bricks. I noticed that boxed hammer brother from the previous screen can still gank you during the mini boss fight in my screen. Also I think u.x + 7 per fireball might be a bit too easy?

I tried Cirno's screen once and got murdered by spinjumping into a lava ceiling. Not sure I like the precision needed for those Bot cannons.
Cirno

Post by Cirno »

I didn't have much of a problem with my section when I tested it originally, but it is actually pretty demanding after all. I'd be okay with removing a couple of spikes like so (not gonna bother re-shipping the level since it's literally a 2-block change.)

Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans

Post by Rednaxela »

Lejes wrote:That little open box in the bricks was sized specifically for the existing "Press Y!" text. I guess the box could be filled in, though, white text still shows up well against purple bricks. I noticed that boxed hammer brother from the previous screen can still gank you during the mini boss fight in my screen. Also I think u.x + 7 per fireball might be a bit too easy?

I tried Cirno's screen once and got murdered by spinjumping into a lava ceiling. Not sure I like the precision needed for those Bot cannons.
+ 7 might a touch easy, but still, it does last a fair amount of time at + 7 and section 4 as a whole is one of the tougher sections overall I think... though not quite hard/long enough to make sense putting a midpoint in the middle of, at least in my current opinion.

Good to know about the open box in the bricks. Well, plenty of ways to adjust that to be optimally readable. Do you like the "Press Tanooki" idea/reference?
Cirno wrote:I didn't have much of a problem with my section when I tested it originally, but it is actually pretty demanding after all. I'd be okay with removing a couple of spikes like so (not gonna bother re-shipping the level since it's literally a 2-block change.)

Quick thought... when you designed/tested your section, did you test with the character being (Wa)luigi, or did you test with Mario? If the latter, that might explain some of the problem we're having with it, given how Mario has more horizontal speed during the jump and less height.
Cirno

Post by Cirno »

Like I stated way back in the thread somewhere, my LunaLua wasn't working at all due to a bad download, so I'm 99% sure I tested with Mario, yeah. That probably explains most of the trouble people were having with my screen :oops:
Lejes

Post by Lejes »

The Tanooki button is alt run, isn't it? I noticed while replaying it that both run and alt run worked. I remember being slightly confused about how to use the KeyState player variables while making this. The original intention was to use run, like normal fireballs.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Rednaxela wrote:
Dragon Fogel wrote:Also! I think we can safely replace "PRESS Y" with "PRESS TANOOKI" since that's an established thing in the hub.
I for one like that idea
Isn't Tannoki the X button though? I'd rather we just use LUA to check to see what the player has set the run button to, then display that.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Apparently both buttons work the way it's set up right now. I've been using the alt run button myself.

Since Cirno's screen was inadvertently designed around Mario, maybe we could lower the top two sections by one tile, leaving the lava where it is? Right now the bottom is only relevant to a small amount of Rinka-dodging, so it's not too important to have jumping room.

Edit: Did a quick modification to test that, now the jumps are easy (though there's still the risk of jumping off a blob) but it feels weird. Maybe keeping heights the same but replacing the lava with a damaging hazard would work better.
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans

Post by Rednaxela »

Dragon Fogel wrote:Edit: Did a quick modification to test that, now the jumps are easy (though there's still the risk of jumping off a blob) but it feels weird. Maybe keeping heights the same but replacing the lava with a damaging hazard would work better.
Haven't had a chance to try myself, but I wonder if Cirno's proposed modification with removing two of the spikes helps enough? And/or Perhaps moving the lava up by just a few pixels? (required snap to grid disabled in editor)
FusionWarrior
Super Sayian Mewtwo Genetic Freak
First name: Jon
Pronouns: Anything Goes

Post by FusionWarrior »

Hey if anyone wants to edit my section to make

the Horikawa bazooka

impossible to take with you by changing the

breakable walls that appear into unbreakable ones

I wouldn't mind. I don't think it's needed since you can't take

her

much farther than that anyway, but w/e! :D
ImageImage
raocow wrote:dragon ain't having any of my frosted flakes, that's how I feel
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

FusionWarrior wrote:Hey if anyone wants to edit my section to make

the Horikawa bazooka

her

That already isn't a problem. The one issue with your screen is that there's no wall until you hit the switch, meaning the entire event can be skipped.
FusionWarrior
Super Sayian Mewtwo Genetic Freak
First name: Jon
Pronouns: Anything Goes

Post by FusionWarrior »

Dragon Fogel wrote:
FusionWarrior wrote:Hey if anyone wants to edit my section to make

the Horikawa bazooka

her

That already isn't a problem. The one issue with your screen is that there's no wall until you hit the switch, meaning the entire event can be skipped.
Maybe put a dragon coin reward in, because honestly I wanted my section to be one that you play once as a joke, and then can be skipped because a joke told 100 times is not a funny joke :3
ImageImage
raocow wrote:dragon ain't having any of my frosted flakes, that's how I feel
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

While we do seem to be missing a dragon coin, we've already got two in Section 2. Including one in the screen right after yours. I'm not keen on clustering them together that much, but I'm not going to make a fuss about it if that's what other people want to do.
CrispyMWHC
Arrangements in fulminating vective
Pronouns: he/him/his
http://crispymwhc.talkhaus.com/

Re: MaGL X2 Relay Level (Midpoint Edition - 98% done)

Post by CrispyMWHC »

Rednaxela wrote:Also it's probably just me but

I have no problems with QuietProtag's, hardcore_crispy's (easy to time jumps between shells), nor Sniggerbobble's screens (I grab the shell and jump if it's near the edge)

Personally I would estimate I take a hit

about 15% of the time in QuietProtag's, about 98% of the time on hardcore_crispy's (I can tell there's a timing you can get, but I'm not good at that), and about 5% of the time on Sniggerbobble's

. Any other opinions on these from others?
Sorry, I was away from all internet for almost two weeks. (!) Catching up on the LP now.

You guys know better than I do. I didn't have much trouble with the timing but if it's giving people problems or feels unfair it's fine to tune down the generator.

You've probably done something about it by now but either way it's fine.

raocow wrote: 4 years ago oh SHIT

THE PROCEDURES
raocow wrote: 4 years ago I can't believe my mystical wizard friend told me to touch grass.
https://www.youtube.com/user/CrispyMWHC -- I play the games for the internet.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

So what's the status here?

Maybe it got overlooked in the other discussion, but there's currently a glitch on Cirno's screen where it doesn't advance to mine. This is, obviously, pretty important to fix.
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans

Post by Rednaxela »

Dragon Fogel wrote:So what's the status here?
The weekend was unexpectedly busy for me and got sidetracked by other things. Should have more progress on this soon.
Dragon Fogel wrote:Maybe it got overlooked in the other discussion, but there's currently a glitch on Cirno's screen where it doesn't advance to mine. This is, obviously, pretty important to fix.
Interesting. Rather sure that didn't happen for me when I ran it. I'll check for that specifically next time I test.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Rednaxela wrote:ping
Just wanted to check how things are going, it's been a few days and we're already running late.

To review, so people can weigh in and we can settle these last few points for the sake of finalizing the level, the big things that I can remember are:
-maybe add a midpoint after the shift to Waluigi
-maybe tone down the generators on hardcore_crispy's screen (probably not needed if a midpoint is added?)
-maybe do something about the invisible maze so it's not quite as annoying
-figure out the bug where the screen doesn't advance when I finish Cirno's screen - maybe it turns out it only affects me, but we don't want to chance it happening in the LP
-consider moving the midpoint before OrangeChickenPasta's screen to after it, now that the screen is more reasonable (maybe this was already done?)
-maybe do something about danddjosh's screen so missing the jump is less punishing
-probably have a midpoint closer to pholtos' screen, possibly slow down the pollen generators slightly, possibly add a shield to Sheath's sprite
-figure out whether we should still have a midpoint at Mabel's screen if there's one before pholtos' screen