(shouting)

MaGL X2 Relay Level (What is a level? A miserable little pile of...)

would you like to participate in some fun contests? would you like to create some fun contests? well ^_^

What shall this glorious abomination be called?

Poll ended at 8 years ago

Life, the universe, and everything
7%
You only have yourself to blame
44%
The Way of the Torch
3%
The MAGLX Olympiad
8%
59 Screens
13%
The Relay Level
2%
A Really Long Level
5%
That which dwells outside the haus
2%
Terrestrial Schizophrenia
10%
Baby Got Serac
4%

Total votes: 97

snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023
Pronouns: she/her

Re: MaGL X2 Relay Level (Midpoint Testing Edition - 98% done)

Post by snoruntpyro »

i am pumped for this to be played

it's truly the best level ever made
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Re: MaGL X2 Relay Level (Midpoint Testing Edition - 98% done)

Post by Ivy »

world 1000............
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
MECHDRAGON777
Up in the Tower floating above Gensokyo lies the true me in reverse.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: MaGL X2 Relay Level (What is a level? A miserable little pile of...)

Post by MECHDRAGON777 »

sorry for bumping this. I guess since the episode is already being played, I lost my chance to help work on this...?

My avartar

I am a SMBX player, and I do not know weather to stay at SuperMarioBrosx.org or at talkhaus.raocow.com honestly.

Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander

Post by Sorel »

Yep. You did.
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
Mikkofier
What about Ron magic?
First name: Mikko J. Fuzzygrumbles

Post by Mikkofier »

Is this ready?
Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.
-Kurt Vonnegut
Context-free Supper Mario Broth Roulette! NOTE: Potential Jumpscare warning!
Avatar source (for most of them).
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Pronouns: they/them
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Post by Rednaxela »

Mikkofier wrote:Is this ready?
Yes, or rather, it was submitted to Horikawa some time ago. I believe what Horikawa will put as the final screen of the relay, will be a secret to everybody. NYEH HEH HEH
ohmato
hey idiot

Post by ohmato »

...HEH
StellarLux

Post by StellarLux »

The link provided (on mega.nz) for Magl X (1) is dead, could someone reupload it?
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

So I hear there were some issues with multipoints with respect to this level. I've updated the library and am testing it now.

It might be worth making use of multipoints' function call capability to improve the checkpoints somewhat. For example, disabling the "bees" section when returning to checkpoint 2.

I've set it up like this, just to see how it would work:

Code: Select all

local function loadCheckpoint(id)
	if(id == 0) then
		return;
	elseif(id == 1) then
		Hoeloe.begun = true;
		Hoeloe.onEvent = function(e) end
	end
	loadCheckpoint(id-1);
end

multipoints.addLuaCheckpoint(-190816, -200128, 0, -190816, -200128, function() loadCheckpoint(0) end);
multipoints.addLuaCheckpoint(-177536, -180800, 1, -177536, -180800, function() loadCheckpoint(1) end);
multipoints.addLuaCheckpoint(-159840, -160192, 2, -159840, -160192, function() loadCheckpoint(2) end);
multipoints.addLuaCheckpoint(-139360, -140192, 3, -139360, -140192, function() loadCheckpoint(3) end);
multipoints.addLuaCheckpoint(-119904, -120128, 4, -119904, -120128, function() loadCheckpoint(4) end);
multipoints.addLuaCheckpoint(-113632, -120128, 4, -113632, -120128, function() loadCheckpoint(5) end);
multipoints.addLuaCheckpoint(-79872, -80096, 6, -79872, -80096, function() loadCheckpoint(6) end);
multipoints.addLuaCheckpoint(-59552, -60064, 7, -59552, -60064, function() loadCheckpoint(7) end);
multipoints.addLuaCheckpoint(-39680, -40160, 8, -39680, -40160, function() loadCheckpoint(8) end);
This way, when loading checkpoints, it runs the code for every previous checkpoint, too. As it is, this just disables the bees section if you spawn in from a checkpoint after it.
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

Okay, tested the entire relay in the editor, and all the checkpoints worked.

HOWEVER, the relay breaks in the full game. My testing indicates that this is not to do with multipoints, as multipoints is not triggered at all on the first run, despite the game still breaking. I'm not sure what is causing the issue, but it's not multipoints that's at fault.

EDIT: With a bit of testing, I think I've fixed it. I replaced onLoad with multipoints.onLevelStart, and halted onLoop until that event was called. Seems to work correctly now, but I'll test a little further.

I ran through about half the relay (before accidentally game-overing), testing each checkpoint in the packaged game. Seems to be working now, so here's an updated lunadll.lua file:

http://hastebin.com/popuyuzuwu.lua
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Pronouns: they/them
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Post by Rednaxela »

Hoeloe wrote:Okay, tested the entire relay in the editor, and all the checkpoints worked.

HOWEVER, the relay breaks in the full game. My testing indicates that this is not to do with multipoints, as multipoints is not triggered at all on the first run, despite the game still breaking. I'm not sure what is causing the issue, but it's not multipoints that's at fault.

EDIT: With a bit of testing, I think I've fixed it. I replaced onLoad with multipoints.onLevelStart, and halted onLoop until that event was called. Seems to work correctly now, but I'll test a little further.

I ran through about half the relay (before accidentally game-overing), testing each checkpoint in the packaged game. Seems to be working now, so here's an updated lunadll.lua file:

http://hastebin.com/popuyuzuwu.lua
Uh... I was testing this with an updated multipoints last night, and that does in fact break some things in relay level. Also, it breaks the MaFAB relay too, fairly badly (some rooms you spawn into may be unbeatable due to vanilla NPCs not spawning in, for instance). The way you deferred things to the second tick causes vanilla spawning to break and also breaks some Lua code. I see you fixed some Lua things, but it doesn't fix the vanilla spawning issues, and I'm pretty sure may still interact poorly with the npc savestate mechanism in the relay level. I also really don't trust it to not have other side effects.
(hypothetically it can also break some corner cases involving events in vanilla SMBX, though those corner cases are not applicable to either relay)

I feel quite adamant that we really need a proper fix to multipoints that doesn't defer rely on a shaky workaround of deferring things to the second tick. I have multiple ideas about how to do this that I'm very confident in. If something isn't in place by this evening for me, I'll be implementing one of those, as it's kind of getting to an emergency crunch time for both.

(but yes, those onLoad things do also need to be moved out of onLoad yes)
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

Rednaxela wrote: Uh... I was testing this with an updated multipoints last night, and that does in fact break some things in relay level.
I updated multipoints this morning. The new version teleports the player on both the first and second tick, rather than just the second. This way it doesn't have loading issues, and also doesn't break in the packaged game. When I said "the problem isn't multipoints", I was referring to problems that occurred after I applied that patch.
blue_kirby
Wrong lever!!!

Post by blue_kirby »

I can't wait for raocow to play the level.
"That's embarrassing"
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

blue_kirby wrote:I can't wait for raocow to play the level.
little more than a week left, probably. i'm ready
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

8flight wrote:
Ivy wrote:
blue_kirby wrote:I can't wait for raocow to play the level.
little more than a week left, probably. i'm ready
Didn't Horikawa say that there were about 22 post game levels?
There's a lot of postgame other than just the relays, yes. I'm pretty excited for the bits I haven't seen already. There's some impressive and awesome stuff there.
blue_kirby
Wrong lever!!!

Post by blue_kirby »

I was going to post this in the main thread, but I thought it would be a little more appropriate here.

In my screen, I was ALMOST about to make a reference to King Dedede bragging about scalping amiibo instead of him quoting the "Kirby Right Back at Ya" anime. Would've been funny if I decided to keep with the original dialogue, seeing how Ometeotl's level had a Waddle Dee talking about Dedede's amiibo collection.
"That's embarrassing"
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

my screen reuses the batafire rinkas lol