(shouting)

[ANSWERS] ⚐ Talkcordhaus 21st Super VGM Guessing Contest Taisen ⚐

would you like to participate in some fun contests? would you like to create some fun contests? well ^_^
AmeijinMayo
Ready to go, count zero!
Pronouns: he/him/his

[ANSWERS] ⚐ Talkcordhaus 21st Super VGM Guessing Contest Taisen ⚐

Post by AmeijinMayo »

It's over! Congratulations for making it to the end, everyone. Even if not all the snippets could be deciphered/concluded on what it may be, I thank any of the participants that gave it a go and tried guessing. Without further ado, let's reveal the answers and ranking/results for the 21st VGM Guessing Contest:

THE ANSWERS ------------ The difficulty rating [EasyMediumHard] [The Gimmick will be denoted with a 🚩]
  1. Assault Spy (PC) - Enter the Agent
    Found by: 14thOrder

An exciting, character action game made by a solo indie developer. Despite being a relatively short playthrough, the combo system is really well polished and it's boss fights are a great challenge too. This definitely stands up there with games like Devil May Cry or Bayonetta.
  2. Moomin Tale (GBC) - Track 7
    Found by: 14thOrder and Bean

Honestly, this is definetly the most out there songs in terms of obscurity. Like, the only reason I happen to know about it is because a friend was really into Moomin and streamed this in a call one time. The series is fine, it's got it's charms and good story telling. But this GBC game is definitely obscure, I don't even think the OST is on Youtube so I'll just leave the full version of the track here. I hear a new Moomin game for the Switch is coming out soonish.
  3. The Legend of Heroes: Kuro no Kiseki (PS4, PS5 and PC) - Namonaki Akumu no Hate

Love that the opening song is used in game for a great fight. I look forward to playing this when it's eventually localized here in the West 25 years from now 🥲
  4. Girls und Panzer: Dream Tank Match DX (PS4 and Switch) - Boss Theme (Type 10)

Aside from the school anthems and other original songs from the anime/movies, Dream Tank Match does have a few tracks whipped up for certain scenarios, like the Type 10 fight. It's somewhat reminiscent of DQ11 music, but not exactly.
  5. Elden Ring (PC, PS4/5 and Xbox One/S/X) - Erdtree Knights
    Half-Found by: Reecer7

Ah man, I love this track. The way it builds up and emphasizes a feeling of doom. First heard it by encounter the tree sentinel, thinking I could just beat it one go, only to realize it was going end my existence in one go. After that folly, I just climbed up a tall rock, shot arrows at it as it couldn't reach me and delivered the final hit with a bonk on the head using my axe. Fun game.
  6. 🚩Advance Wars: Days of Ruin (DS) - Mr. Bear-Penny
    Found by: 14thOrder, Valentine and raekuul

Advance Wars is a lot of fun, psyched to give Re-Boot Camp a go once that's out. Theme wise, Days of Ruin is sorta all over the place, but the soundtrack is still pretty rad. Funnily enough, while doing some background research for AW as a whole, the genre it's more associated with is turn based strategy, however, it still retains many elements/quriks that would be more associated with SRPG/TRPGs. That and most folks I've spoken to online vouch for it being a SRPG, so that's what it'll be on this list.
  7. Mobile Suit Gundam: Lost War Chronicles (PS2)- Heats

This track's saxophone just goes off! I've been wanting to use this song in a VGM contest since the last time I hosted but opted out for an older Gundam game last time since Blue Destiny was one of the first CD based Gundam games and THUNDER CLAP is a classic track from it. But I'm glad I can use Heats this time around, great song and Lost War Chronicles is a solid PS2 game, right up there with Zeonic Front.
  8. Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk (PC, PS4 and Switch) - Witch's Depression

Tenpei Sato really does a fantastic job of composing music. This track has some of the trademark instruments he likes using and give it an air of eeriness, but I do appreciate the consistency in terms of quality. I've found myself playing this game twice now, originally on Switch and recently a replay on PC. The odds of it's sequel on Vita leaving Japan is slim to nonexistent, but eh, here's hoping a english fanpatch appears for it someday.
  9. Cook, Serve, Delicious! (PC and Mobile) - Fried Chicken

Funnily enough, this may have been one of the first game's I bought for my first smartphone. I remember watching a Giant Bomb quick look of it and it sold me on it's premise and gameplay. Fried Chicken is a nice track but oddly elevator musicish in tone, I suppose.
  10. Survival Kids (GBC) - Mountains

With sprite work reminiscent to Pokemon or Links Awakening, Survival Kids may be one of the first survival games I had seen way back when. The soundtrack also fits really well with the different environments you may find yourself in.
  11. Risk of Rain 2: Survivors of the Void (PC, PS4, Xbone, Switch and Stadia) - The Face of the Deep

Love this track, another song that has some greaaat use of the sax and synth. Chris Christodoulou has made some awesome music over the decade, I honestly hope the guy continues to get work as he makes some gnarly jams.
  12. Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker (PC and PS4/5) - In The Balance
    Found by: 14thOrder and Bean

What a surprise, a FF14 track and from the newest expansion no less. An absolute banger composed for the 1st alliance raid of the expansion and it passes with flying colors in the sound department. Yeah, uh, I don't what else to say aside from try listening to the full song if you're willing.
  13. Fate/Grand Order (Mobile) - Gudaguda Yamataikoku - Grand Battle BGM

Neat tidbit about this one, the event had a promotional video as most of FGOs events do and it got a great vocal song to accompany it. Said vocal song is then recomposed into a hard rock instrumental and used for the boss fight for the event, just amazing.
  14. Rygar (NES) - Wise Man's Chamber

Weird old wisdom guy song on a weird old system.
  15. Yu-Gi-Oh Master Duel (PC, PS4, Xbone, Switch and Mobile) - Climax #4 aka Monarch's Theme

I don't who or what they hired to get this kind of music for a Yugioh game, but a lot of the OST ain't half bad. It's even better knowing that these different songs trigger depending on the outlook of a duel.
  16. 🚩Project Triangle Strategy (Switch) - Secret Weapon/Unshakable Conviction

Pretty good SRPG, is it on par with something like Final Fantasy Tactics? No, no really, but I still enjoyed what good moments it did have. The track goes by two names, but the one I had ripped the snippet from was the demo OST and it's name was Secret Weapon. It was agonizing to see how close folks were to getting this correct as the game was guessed quite a few times, just not on the correct snippet.
  17. Arcana Heart 3 LOVEMAX SIXSTARS!!!!!! (PC) - Everyone Can Be a Hero!

Everyone can be a Hero! Not really though, but hey, at least this song got a good beat to it.
  18. Metroid Dread (Switch) - Experiment No. Z-57

When you're rumored Metroid game becomes a reality. I'm really glad this game came out, Dread is a blast. Plenty of replayability and a great holdover till Metroid Prime 4 is eventually released.
  19. Klonoa Beach Volleyball (PSX) - Sunset Court

I think Klonoa Beach Volleyball has shown up before in another VGM guessing contest, but with Klonoa making return in the form of a remake/remaster, I just wanted to include this gem of a song. It certainly gives off Western showdown vibes, doesn't it?
  20. Digimon: D Project (Wonderswan) - Home
    Found by: Nobody!

A Digimon song and one from an obscure system, yeesh. Yeah this was tricky, like, how many people even know about the Digimon games on Wonderswan? Maybe Bandai Namco will remake this and put it on a more modern system, but who am I kidding, they'll remake the first few Digimon World games before anything else.
  21. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (PC, PS4/5 and Xbone/S/X) - Cal Kestis

Playing this last year, I'm surprised how fluid the combat was. I'm not huge Star Wars fan, but I think some of the games hold up pretty well. The OST they composed for Fallen Order fits right in with this series.
  22. No More Heroes III (Switch, PS4/5, Xbone/S/X and PC) - Dead Orca Force

No More Heroes 3's soundtrack is like a bowl of mixed nuts, you've got a little bit of everything in it. I'm glad NMH3 exists and it's getting ports to p much every current modern console, so plenty folks have an opportunity to play it if they're interested. Remember folks, fuck racism :wink:
  23. 🚩Battle Moon Wars (PC) - 7th Moon

Basically a fan game where Type Moon series like FSN, Tsukihime and KnK crossover and playout like a SRW game. Attack animations are pretty gucci.
  24. DAEMON X MACHINA (Switch and PC) - Messing Around

Aptly used during the more goofy/light hearted moments of the game.
  25. Famicom Detective Club: The Girl Who Stands Behind (Switch) - Ayumi's Theme

it was cool to see these games get remake, however gameplay wise it's a bit rough around the edges. It's got a p good mystery attached to it though, so give it a read if you want or don't.
  26. Castlevania: Harmony of Despair (PS3 and Xbox360) - Corpse's Gate
    Half-Found by: Reecer7

The Harmony of Despair music is awesome, I just wish the same could be said for the game. It not even like it's that bad, it's fine and retains most of the metroidvania gameplay, but the cooperative aspect of it was jank to say the least. Hell, this song in particular is attached to memories of waiting in the matchup room from hours on end just to join up with a friend, ugh.
  27. Grey Garden (PC) - Wasteland

Good game. Funnily enough, a participant mentioned how Grey Garden had tracks that were basically free VG material music composed so indie devs could use them, so the chances of this song showing up in another game are decent. Which I figure if that were the case, if someone had brough up one of those games and showed/proved that it was used in that other game I'd still give the point despite it not being the game I had intended. I figure that'd be fair since this music is basically freeware music of sorts
  28. Helltaker (PC) - Titanium

What can I say, Helltaker has some great beats. It's cool that it got an additional chapter that provides a prospective if the Helltaker were to go down the other ending. Here's hoping that Helltaker has something in store for the future.
  29. Eiyuuden Chronicles: Rising (PC, Switch, PS4/5, Xbone/S/X) - Area Boss Battle

I'm not entirely sold on Rising's music, I feel like there's some tracks lacking some flair or missing some component to them. But maybe the music will be polished once Million Heroes is finally out.
  30. 🚩Super Robot Wars 30 (PC, Switch and PS4) - Hello! My World!!
    Half-Found by: Validon98

A Super Robot Wars song is a must in a VGM contest with a gimmick like this, right? I was tempted to use one of the new OGs themes, but Knights & Magic just debuted in SRW 30. I had to make the snippet this, it was just too good not to. Maybe next time I'll use an OGs song from some random SRW.
  31. Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure (PC, PSP and 3DS) - Samurai Drill

"This drill is the drill that will pierce the heavens!" Man, the folks over at Falcom sure made a quirky game like Gurumin an interesting romp. Only in recent years did I find out it got a port to 3DS, that gave me a surprise.
  32. [INTRUDER!]Balloon Party - 想像オデッセイ [Instrumental] by Mitsukiyo[INTRUDER!]

Mitsukiyo composes some great music and has done video game music in the past, so I figure one of their songs would be a perfect candidate for INTRUDER. Hoo, color me surprised when one of the participants picked it out as the intruder. Granted, they didn't identify the exact series or game (I mean, it's an intruder so it wouldn't have one), but they did know this was the intruder, so that counts in my book. Although, I'm curious to hear their thoughts on how they concluded this was the intruder lol
  33. Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme Vs. 2 CrossBoost (Arcades) - Jump in X Luck

Thankfully, I'm not gonna mess up on the gimmick for this one as it's not FG this time around, woo! We've got another EXVS song here again and it's an odd one at that. This song was released as the BGM for one of the recently playable suits - Gundam Xanadu. It's an interesting 2k with a solid support moveset, but this song just kinda seems out there for the kind of game it's in, y'know?
  34. Trip World (GB) - World 3 Part 1

Trippy game with a trippy soundtrack. Nah I'm just messing around, this game is cute and is a quick playthrough, I'm sure the speedruns for this game are a breeze.
  35. Shin Megami Tensei NINE (Xbox) - Shop

I think when I was originally putting this list together, I had a song from SMT DDS that I wanted to use, but then I heard this and I just couldn't escape the bits of funk to it. The "do-do-do-do-di-do" parts also got me haha
  36. Kirby and the Forgotten Land (Switch) - Roar of Dedede
    Found by: Almost everyone!

I really like this new arrangement of King Dedede's theme, it's exhilarating and get you amped up for pretty much any fight. This song also came from a great Kirby game too, so that's a plus.
  37. Dino Crisis (PSX) - There's No Turning Back

Felt like snagging a song from an action horror or survival horror game and RE has been used frequently enough, so I thought "Hey, who remember Dino Crisis, that's a classic" and that's how this snippet got here. Dino Crisis had some good tracks, I do wish Capcom revisited the IP again sometime.
  38. 🚩Sakura Wars 2: Beloved, You Must Not Die (SS, DC, PC and PSP) - Continuation of the Dream

Ahh, one of my favorite songs from the franchise. It sounds even better with vocals, but the composition still carries the whole song with grace. Kohei Tanaka really knocked it out of the park with this track and I can understand why it's one of his favorite composed songs to this day. I can think of only one other Sakura Wars song that could rival this one, but that's another story for another time. Oh and I guess as a mini NEWS in Sakura Wars update: The first game has been fully translate by fans for English and it's pretty solid, definitely worth checking out if your interested. A fan translation is in the works for Sakura Wars 3, so hopefully that goes well.
  39. Full Metal Furies (PC, Xbone, PS4 and Switch) - Lelantos

Made by folks who worked on Rogue Legacy, this game is a lot of fun. It's even more fun when you grab a couple of your friends and everyone just scrambles around the fields trying to take on a boss.
  40. Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis (PC and Xbone) - Retem Field Boss 1

The singer for this song actually had done music for other PSO related game like IDOLA, which is something. The Retem region is a bit of a pain in the ass to navigate, but the actually enemies to fight there are not so bad. The new region is about to open up in the game p soon, so that's nice.
  41. Another Century's Episode 3: The Final (PS2) - Shinku BGM ver.

A.C.E 3 was probably the last good A.C.E game. Just in terms of gameplay and story, it was the most well refined and the peak of it all. Once A.C.E R and Portable came out, it was just new series to debut and that's about it, watered down combat and little to no story after. It's a shame, but at least the first 3 games can be remembered fondly.
  42. Granblue Fantasy Versus (PC and PS4) - Peacemaker's Wings

Back when I had last time hosted, I wanted to include this song as one of the gimmick songs, but opted out to pick some older or obsucure FG tracks instead. I'm satsified that I was able to use it this time around, it's a great track and definitely has some flairs that I'd hear out of a FF track or something. Zooey's theme truly is awesome.
  43. 🚩 Shoujo Taisen Ei (PC and Switch) - From Now On, We'll...
    Found by: 14thOrder and Validon98

Oh my god this song was used really well. I'm not gonna spoil what happens in Ei, but the original dev of the game knew exactly how to play out a SRW stage and the story flow amidst the gameplay. I'm not gonna claim what song the dev was trying to emulate/pay homage to for this track, but it's very reminiscent in tone to Gundam Unicorn's 'Gundam Segment II' track, which is used to great effect in the OVA. But yeah, Genso Shoujo Taisen does great job of summing up the events of the Touhou games, just in SRW gameplay form.
  44. Senko no Ronde DUO (Xbox360) - Aria (Luca Phase 2)

Strangely enough, this game saw a release in the West as Ubisoft localized it? Something like that but I can't say the game has seen much in recent years, aside from a Touhou game that used it's circle arena vs shmup combat, which didn't see too much success. so-so game that's not well remembered.
  45. Indivisible (PC, PS4, Xbone and Switch) - Dance Macabre

The high paced energy in this song is rad.
  46. Melty Blood: Type Lumina (PC, PS4, Xbone and Switch) - Spirit & Technique & Body (Training Stage)

Melty Blood always killing it with the good music. I guess we have Raito to thank for that, composing goat jams. This is just the training stage music, mind you, the rest of the OST is superb.
  47. 🚩Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (SNES and PSP) - Fight It Out! SNES ver.
    Found by: 14thOrder, Validon 98 and Bean

Opted out for the SNES version, I really like how the sound chip sounds. FFT was used that last time I had hosted, so I figure lets pick from the other Tactics games, they've got rad soundtracks too
  48. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (PSP, PS3 and Xbox360) - Gear REX

This is pretty sinister, using a Monster Hunter sounding song that's an originally composed track from a boss only from this game. I don't know why I always have a MGS related song but it's camouflaged under the guise of another series or something. Anyways, this is only other series MGS has collabed with so if I ever do host another VGM guessing contest, you won't have to worry about these weird MGS tracks.
  49. 🚩Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light (NES and Switch) - Battle Map 2 Side Attack
    Found by: 14thOrder, Validon 98 and Bean
    Half-Found by: KobaBeach

Since the gimmick is SRPG/TRPGs, Fire Emblem has to show up somehow and what better pick than the first. It's got a good rhythm to it, even if it's going off crusty NES sounds, but I'm down with that.
  50. The Cruel King and The Great Hero (Switch and PS4) - Am I Stronger Now?

Another NIS game, but this song is definitely more upbeat. Granted, it's fanfare music/a victory tune, so that makes sense.
  51. Gunvolt Chronicles: Luminous Avenger iX 2 (PC, Switch, PS4/5 and Xbone/S/X) - VS Mother 2 (IGNITER)

I may have my grips on how they handled LAiX 2 by slowing Copen's movement and some of the distanced story moments, but it still has some fantastic music. The vocal version of this song is boppin' too.
  52. Rogue Galaxy (PS2 and PS4) - The Cave of a Mine

Very cave sounding music. It's got plenty of flutes tootin'
  53. Pokken Tournament DX (Switch) - Thalia Beach

Thalia Beach's beat exudes a summer kind of feel to it. That or the swedish steeldrum and xylophone combo makes me think of the summer or beaches.
  54. 🚩Utawarerumono Prelude of the Fallen (PC, PSP and PS2/3/4) - Komori Uta YUKAURA

This song shows up in both the first and Mask of Truth, it's a great song either way. The Utawarerumono games setting is fantasy based with mysticism mixed in, but also has been heavily influenced by Ainu culture, which is pretty cool. I'm kinda bummed I never really discovered this series till the Vita games were released, but I'm glad to have given them a try regardless.
  55. IDOLM@STER Shiny Colors (PC and Mobile) - Normal Day【シャニマス】

Something something idol game with gacha elements something something it's got music.
  56. Little Busters (PC, Switch, PS2/3 and PSP) - Boys Don't Cry

This song brings back a lot of memories.
  57. Arcturus (PC) - Port City

This is a weird one, Arcturus plays a part as being some of the inspiration to The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky. It's a Korean RPG that has some really early sprite based MMO esque designs, but the story ain't half bad and as a RPG it's fine, so I guess it's a don't judge book by it's cover situation.
  58. Shovel Knight: Pocket Dungeon (Switch, PS4 and PC) - Locked and Looted

Jake Kaufman still flexing those music making magic of his. Pocket Dungeon is ok, quick puzzle game but not exactly my cup of tea. Music's good though.
  59. RosenkreuzStilette (PC) - Stage Select (March of the Haunted Spirits)
    Found by: 14thOrder and Validon 98

I mean, I guess this relates to MegaMari in a way. I suppose.
  60. 🚩Disgaea 3: Absences of Justice/Detention (PS3 and Vita) - A Song for You

The credits song used for Disgaea 3 ends up being the last song of the list! How quaint. Despite being considered to be a bit of a black sheep in the franchise, D3 is probably my favorite Disgaea game. Between the cast, the story and music, it just hits all the right notes for me, it's a lot of fun. This credits song is nice as beyond the lyrics, I visualize it as the ensemble getting together, singing a song and taking their final bow before the curtains close. It's a great song.
THE RESULTS
I'll be brief as I'm writing this up pretty late into the night. The ranking/results is as follows:

Valentine - 4 points

KobaBeach - 7 points

raekuul - 7 points

Reecer7 - 8 points

Bean - 17 points

Validon98 - 22 points

14thOrder/FourteenthOrder - 68 points!

Thanks for guessing everyone, I'm not gonna lie, I feel like I may need to revise the 2x multiplier on scoring for solo song guesses if the guesser is the only one to guess it correctly as it could help folks get additional points. I'll keep that in mind for next time. Congratulations to FourteenthOrder with the cascade of guesses! I was worried since so many hints were asked that it would take a heavy hit to your total points but since you had guessed so many of them correctly and singled out what the intruder was, you still remained with a decent portion of points. Congrats! 👍
Alrighty, well it's pretty late over here as I type up this last bit, but thanks for your guesses and participation in the iteration of the Talkcordhaus VGM Guessing Contest. I hope there was a bit of fun to be had with this for everyone and I'll be passing the baton to the next host of the contest, which is... raekuul! At least according to the both of them at the moment. Congrats!
If I end up hosting again in the future, I'll take what I've learned here and last time, hopefully leading into whipping up a fun VGM guessing contest next time (Probably an easier gimmick or no gimmick at all, adjusted scoring, something like that). Thanks again for participating, good luck to the next host and I hope everyone has a great rest of the year.

Last edited by AmeijinMayo 1 year ago, edited 3 times in total.
Streaming: Super Robot Wars Z, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Koi-Koi Wars
AmeijinMayo
Ready to go, count zero!

Re: [ANSWERS] ⚐ Talkcordhaus 21st Super VGM Guessing Contest Taisen ⚐

Post by AmeijinMayo »

I'm gonna rest up since I've got work tomorrow, but if there are any typos, editing errors or questions, I'll answer them Sunday night or so. G'night!
Streaming: Super Robot Wars Z, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Koi-Koi Wars
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I did not get #10, but I did get #36 like just about everyone else as stated. Either way, that's two points I should lose. Also shows how little I enjoyed Gunvolt Chronicles 2 if I can't even remember the majority of the soundtrack. Oops! Good contest again!
1) Sonic Forces
2) Moomin's Tale
7) Marvel vs. Capcom 2?
8) Warioware? - It's not, but it sounds like Ashley's Theme.
12) Final Fantasy XIV
15) Elden Ring?
18) Jet Force Gemini?
23) The Intruder?!
33) Persona 5 Strikers?
36) Kirby and the Forgotten Land
41) Ys VI? - Sounds like Falcom anyway.
47) Tactics Ogre (SNES)? - SRPG
49) Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light (aka Fire Emblem 1) - SRPG
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

first off: no summon night??????????=?

secondly: yeah i actually played trip world but that was years ago and i didn't really like the game because it's so boring.

and i did listen to d-project's soundtrack but 1) i didn't have names, 2) i haven't listened to it in a hot year or so. i haven't played it yet though either, looking at it, it seems like a sort of 2d digimon world 1, but by sting, which... yeah i'd be into that. also i do know about the digimon wonderswan games but i've been more concerned with the ryo games than anything rn. also i used to play the gba ports of battle spirit 1&2 as a wee cub on vba

a lot of these are from games i haven't played yet. how am i supposed to get kuro no kiseki if i still haven't beat sky fc lmaoooo
also arcturus is a game i actually uploaded the jp version onto archive.org but i haven't played it yet :)

i actually got fire emblem 1 btw, i was playing it at the time and i still am.

list of games from here i want to play
loh kuro
elden ring
edgy advance wars
gundam lost war whatever
labyrinth of refrain (i really want to play this)
survival kids (shout outs to the old retsupurae videos of this)
rygar nes
triangle strategy (pc release pls so i can pirate it, but i can just give up and shell some dosh for the switch digital download when im not Poverty Mode)
arcana heart 3
metroid dread
klonoa beach volleyball
digimon d project
nmh3
daemon x machina
famicom tantei club girl
eiyuuden (my friend ivan is obsessed with this game i've been waiting until i beat all the suikodens)
srw30
gurumin (i have it on steam :) )
smt nine (suffering)
dino crisis
sakura wars 2
granblue versus (i'm married to soriz and ladiva. staches..)
genso shoujo taisen
senko no ronde
indivisible
melty blood
tactics ogre (doing ogre battle rn)
metal gear solid pw (doki doki / koi no yokushiryoku / hora geemu no hajimari) (paz my beloved)
cruel king great hero (just heard abt it rn)
rogue galaxy
utawarerumono
little busters
arcturus
rks
disgaya 3
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
Pronouns: she/her
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

I was expecting there to be a lot more that I would have been like "OH" but really I have never heard of most of these. The only one I had pinned down was the FE1 song haha.
You'd think I would've gotten the SRW 30 one, but well... one thing I do basically right away is change all the songs to custom songs. Makes things kinda funny sometimes.
I probably should've asked for hints, but what's done (or not done) is done (or not done)
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)
Pronouns: she/her

Post by FourteenthOrder »

AmeijinMayo wrote: 1 year ago Although, I'm curious to hear their thoughts on how they concluded this was the intruder lol
I had six left, two of them I had hints revealing systems (WonderSwan/Arcade) so I could rule those out, and I used my best guess out of the remaining four. I was a little scared I actually guessed wrong despite my confident answer on my list, after I sent it I was like "I should've added an '(i think)'". :P

--

I only found like three on my first listen through the whole songlist, so I was uncertain whether I'd ask for six bajillion hints like I have in the past contests I entered, but I ended up finding some others on my own and changing my mind and doing so anyway. I just find a lot of fun in seeking these out, I guess, a significant chunk of these games I had never heard of before now and they've got some great soundtracks that were fun to listen to. I feel like our library of games don't exactly line up xD

The only three songs here I'd actually heard ingame in their original contexts were the ones from Metroid Dread, Fire Emblem, and Rosenkreuzstilette, and despite that the only one of those I'd found hintless was Fire Emblem. (i guess i heard the tactics ogre one ingame too but i've only played the psp version and because of the different arrangement there my brain didn't make the connection for such a long time and i'm mad at it >:c)

also no wonder my reverse lyric search on #33 wasn't working out, i still can't track down the lyrics even knowing the source and title, i was really mad at myself for misparsing them because i'm so much worse at japanese listening than reading but maybe that wasn't the real problem there xD

also wow i misinterpreted the hint for #30 i feel very silly now

But yeah, I guess everything worked out in the end despite the extreme penalty. xD
Reecer7
Crack is fun and nice and a good time!
https://cro-iba.talkhaus.com/

Post by Reecer7 »

i swear like half of these games i've never heard of, haha

well, i did middle-of-the-pack somehow despite that, which i take as a win. need to figure out how to play more video games
call me reecer6, not reecer7, please! gotta maintain that same internet brand. actually i'm cro-iba now, it's cooler
strange bluebird website (check it out for my art!)
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota

Post by raekuul »

Well then
  1. Assault Spy (PC) - Enter the Agent
    You know, I don't think I'd even heard of that game before this contest?
  2. Moomin Tale (GBC) - Track 7
    Yeah, "obscure" is right. I'll have to check this one out though since it's on CGB
  3. The Legend of Heroes: Kuro no Kiseki (PS4, PS5 and PC) - Namonaki Akumu no Hate
    ...well no wonder I'm unfamiliar with this one; I don't pay attention to the PS# cycle.
  4. Girls und Panzer: Dream Tank Match DX (PS4 and Switch) - Boss Theme (Type 10)
    I'm gonna have to look at this one once I find/replace my Switch.
  5. Elden Ring (PC, PS4/5 and Xbox One/S/X) - Erdtree Knights
    Yet another game I have never played and barely seen. I'm genuinely curious how many from the next contest are going over heads...
  6. Advance Wars: Days of Ruin (DS) - Mr. Bear-Penny
    A lyric search I never have to make because this was the CO I usually played as when messing around.
  7. Mobile Suit Gundam: Lost War Chronicles (PS2)- Heats
    I'm not actually a big Gundam fan to begin with so yeah it wasn't likely that I was going to get this one.
  8. Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk (PC, PS4 and Switch) - Witch's Depression
    I actually have heard of this one, though it still wasn't on my radar.
  9. Cook, Serve, Delicious! (PC and Mobile) - Fried Chicken
    +1 on games I've never played (I've wanted to play it though)
  10. Survival Kids (GBC) - Mountains
    +1 on games I want to check out now (CGB is at least easy enough for me to look into)
  11. Risk of Rain 2: Survivors of the Void (PC, PS4, Xbone, Switch and Stadia) - The Face of the Deep
    I never actually paid attention to Risk of Rain, and until today I didn't know that there was a second one.
  12. Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker (PC and PS4/5) - In The Balance
    Well that explains a lot.
  13. Fate/Grand Order (Mobile) - Gudaguda Yamataikoku - Grand Battle BGM
    I have all these FGO wallpapers on my computer and never actually partook of any of the offical content.
  14. Rygar (NES) - Wise Man's Chamber
    Okay that one's on me. I have played Rygar recently (though I've never beaten it)
  15. Yu-Gi-Oh Master Duel (PC, PS4, Xbone, Switch and Mobile) - Climax #4 aka Monarch's Theme
    Yet another franchise I don't really pay attention to.
  16. Project Triangle Strategy (Switch) - Secret Weapon/Unshakable Conviction
    This is actually on my list of Switch games to get. I just haven't been able to get it yet.
  17. Arcana Heart 3 LOVEMAX SIXSTARS!!!!!! (PC) - Everyone Can Be a Hero!
    Can I Really Be The Hero?
  18. Metroid Dread (Switch) - Experiment No. Z-57
    I've been deliberately staying blind to Metroid Dread so I'm not surprised I missed this.
  19. Klonoa Beach Volleyball (PSX) - Sunset Court
    Oh right this is a game that exists. I really should play the Klonoa games at some point.
  20. Digimon: D Project (Wonderswan) - Home
    That is hilariously unfair as a game choice, yes. At least nobody got it.
  21. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (PC, PS4/5 and Xbone/S/X) - Cal Kestis
    Never paid attention to the Star Wars videogames. I've always been more of a Star Trek person anyway (but I haven't played any Trek games either so blah)
  22. No More Heroes III (Switch, PS4/5, Xbone/S/X and PC) - Dead Orca Force
    Yet another franchise I don't care about.
  23. Battle Moon Wars (PC) - 7th Moon
    Never heard of this game until today.
  24. DAEMON X MACHINA (Switch and PC) - Messing Around
  25. Famicom Detective Club: The Girl Who Stands Behind (Switch) - Ayumi's Theme
    I actually do want to get the Switch versions of these games.
  26. Castlevania: Harmony of Despair (PS3 and Xbox360) - Corpse's Gate
    Wait this is a castlevania? ...ah, it wasn't on a Nintendo console. That's why I didn't hear about it. You know it took until raocow played SotN for me to have even seen gameplay of it? I'm just not a big CV person I guess which is really weird considering Belmont's Revenge was one of the first DMG games I got to play and Harmony of Dissonance was the first "modern" castlevania game I beat.
  27. Grey Garden (PC) - Wasteland
  28. Helltaker (PC) - Titanium
    Okay yeah I should have gotten this.
  29. Eiyuuden Chronicles: Rising (PC, Switch, PS4/5, Xbone/S/X) - Area Boss Battle
  30. Super Robot Wars 30 (PC, Switch and PS4) - Hello! My World!!
    I've never actually paid any attention to this franchise.
  31. Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure (PC, PSP and 3DS) - Samurai Drill
    It's been long enough since I played Gurumin that I'm not surprised I missed this one. Also apparently I thought this was from Sonic. Shows just how important Context is.
  32. Balloon Party - 想像オデッセイ [Instrumental] by Mitsukiyo
    This still sounds like a PangYa! song to me.
  33. Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme Vs. 2 CrossBoost (Arcades) - Jump in X Luck
    Well I was right, it's not the Persona singers.
  34. Trip World (GB) - World 3 Part 1
    I'll have to try this one out too.
  35. Shin Megami Tensei NINE (Xbox) - Shop
    And now I'm imagining the shop as a front for an illicit sports bar.
  36. Kirby and the Forgotten Land (Switch) - Roar of Dedede
    I still haven't played any kirby games newer than Squeak Squad. The gameplay of Forgotten Land just doesn't look appealing to me.
  37. Dino Crisis (PSX) - There's No Turning Back
    You know I bet my brother would have wanted this game when he was younger just because dinosaurs, but now that I know it's survival-horror I'm kinda glad we never had it. Not exactly my favorite genre of videogame.
  38. Sakura Wars 2: Beloved, You Must Not Die (SS, DC, PC and PSP) - Continuation of the Dream
    I'll have to check this series out.
  39. Full Metal Furies (PC, Xbone, PS4 and Switch) - Lelantos
    Okay, I have at least heard of this one, but only because I had misread furies as furries when I first came across it in a game listing. Still haven't played it though.
  40. Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis (PC and Xbone) - Retem Field Boss 1
    Well no wonder I'd heard this one before. PSO/PSO2 aren't really on my radar of games to play though, largely because they're MMO and I don't really do MMO.
  41. Another Century's Episode 3: The Final (PS2) - Shinku BGM ver.
    Never heard of this franchise until today.
  42. Granblue Fantasy Versus (PC and PS4) - Peacemaker's Wings
    I have heard of Granblue Fantasy before, but not this game specifically. Once again, I don't really pay attention to the PS# cycle. They could have released King's Field 10 for the PS4 and I would have missed it entirely.
  43. Gensou Shoujo Taisen Ei (PC and Switch) - From Now On, We'll...
    Ah, the Touhou side/fan/sidefan games. I don't pay much attention to them, to be honest. To be honest I haven't made any serious attempts at any of the shmup games after Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom.
  44. Senko no Ronde DUO (Xbox360) - Aria (Luca Phase 2)
    Never heard of this game before today.
  45. Indivisible (PC, PS4, Xbone and Switch) - Dance Macabre
    This one is on my list of games to check out.
  46. Melty Blood: Type Lumina (PC, PS4, Xbone and Switch) - Spirit & Technique & Body (Training Stage)
    Yeag no I wasn't going to get this one.
  47. Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (SNES and PSP) - Fight It Out! SNES ver.
    ...well that makes my comments on this snippet hilarious in hindsight. This is the one game that literally can't be a FFT Wannabe - FFT was trying to be this game! (I actually started playing this on my 3DS but my headphone jack is water damaged and I don't like wearing headphones while I'm playing on it so I would have missed this one anyway but good to know I got somewhere in the vicinity of close)
  48. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (PSP, PS3 and Xbox360) - Gear REX
    Yet another franchise I don't pay attention to. I know the whole Snake Eater meme and the Fission Mailed joke and "I feel asleep" but that's about it.
  49. Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light (NES and Switch) - Battle Map 2 Side Attack
    HEY GUESS WHO THOUGHT THIS WAS EITHER NES OR DMG AND CHOSE DMG anyway hi
  50. The Cruel King and The Great Hero (Switch and PS4) - Am I Stronger Now?
    I have heard of this one, but only because I'm on the NIS mailing list (I've been waiting for a port of Disgaea 2 to 3DS ever since I learned about the DS port of Disgaea 1)
  51. Gunvolt Chronicles: Luminous Avenger iX 2 (PC, Switch, PS4/5 and Xbone/S/X) - VS Mother 2 (IGNITER)
    Well I was right, it definitely wasn't a shmup.
  52. Rogue Galaxy (PS2 and PS4) - The Cave of a Mine
    Never knew of this game until today (which probably says a lot about how close I pay attention to the What Games Are You Playing thread, since I swear someone was talking about this one recently.
  53. Pokken Tournament DX (Switch) - Thalia Beach
    Yeah I was not going to get this one, I'm not a big fightan game person. I play Mortal Kombat 2 and Smash Bros... and Shaq-Fu.
  54. Utawarerumono Prelude of the Fallen (PC, PSP and PS2/3/4) - Komori Uta YUKAURA
    wait this was on how many successive generations of playstation?
  55. IDOLM@STER Shiny Colors (PC and Mobile) - Normal Day【シャニマス】
    I've been wanting to look into this franchise for a while, where's a good starting point?
  56. Little Busters (PC, Switch, PS2/3 and PSP) - Boys Don't Cry
    I have heard of this one, but I've never looked into it.
  57. Arcturus (PC) - Port City
    Never heard of this game before today.
  58. Shovel Knight: Pocket Dungeon (Switch, PS4 and PC) - Locked and Looted
    Shmup of the year, right here![/snark]
  59. RosenkreuzStilette (PC) - Stage Select (March of the Haunted Spirits)
    Well I was right about one thing. The music was very probably originally written as a midi before being encoded for the game.
  60. Disgaea 3: Absences of Justice/Detention (PS3 and Vita) - A Song for You
    Well I was right about one thing. This was a closing theme. Hooray for being aware of cinematographical tropes.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

Yeah this one just completely bowled over me, I knew like nooone of these. I am happy I got the Gensou Shoujo Taisen one though, I was replaying it via the Switch version recently so it was fresh in my mind (in that "it provokes one hell of an emotion in me" way).
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

yeah i'm glad i didn't continue with this one because there are literally two games on this entire list i've played and i have basically no familiarity with any of the other ones either. and the one other game i had played was indivisible, which... i would not have recognized it even if i had listened to it lmao
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Katazuki
wawa
Pronouns: whomst

Post by Katazuki »

The 22nd VGM contest will be coming around on some time during September - November!

Feel free to comment in this thread if you're interested in hosting one of these or drop me a PM on this forum or a DM on the discordhaus!

Who has the most?
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota

Post by raekuul »

I thought I was OK for #22 once we get some time between this (October sounds right, at least)? I remember getting added to the actually real list at one point.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Katazuki
wawa
Pronouns: whomst

Post by Katazuki »

Yup, you are indeed noted as the host for this one. I just don't mention names in particular because there's always the chance that someone backs out from hosting and I move on to either the next person on the list or I'd host again with a back up list I keep ready in case I have to do it last minute within the time frame.

Starting the contest on October is fine. The monthly time frame I gave is for when the contest should start, not the time frame for the contest itself from beginning to end. So you can start the contest any time between September to November.

Who has the most?