(shouting)

[Closed!] Talkcordhaus VGM Guessing Contest 19: The Disappearance of Mario Mario

would you like to participate in some fun contests? would you like to create some fun contests? well ^_^
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)
Pronouns: she/her

[Closed!] Talkcordhaus VGM Guessing Contest 19: The Disappearance of Mario Mario

Post by FourteenthOrder »

Welcome, everyone, to the
look i know we're largely past the "mario is dead" memes now but it gave me a gimmick idea so please play along thx

So yeah, hi! This is my first time hosting a talkhaus contest! And last time was my first time entering a VGM-guessing one! But I had a lot of fun! So hopefully I've gathered a good enough idea of how this all works from the shadows!

Anyway, there are 60 tracks of 30 seconds each for you to identify. To submit your answers, please either PM me on the talkhaus or DM me on Discord. (As it says under my avatar, my Discord name is Zeal. I'm at both the discordhaus and the patapon spotzone.)

Scoring
  • If you correctly guess the game a song is from, you earn 2 points.
  • If you correctly guess only the series, you earn 1 point.
  • There is one intruder song not from a video game. Correctly identifying it will earn you 5 points.
  • You get double the points for a song if you're the only person to correctly guess the game or series.
And as for that gimmick I mentioned:
  • 8 songs were chosen based on the premise "Mario is gone". These 8 songs fall into two separate categories of 4 songs each. Yes, I'm being very vague about what this means.
    • You're free to mark any 8 answers with an [M]. If you correctly mark a track connected to the gimmick, you get an extra 1 point.
    • If you can identify the rule for either of the two categories, you get 5 points. If you can identify both, the second is worth 8 points. I suspect one of the rules is significantly more complicated.
Hints
Feel free to PM/DM me if you'd like hints for any of the songs! The hints may be abstract, but you're always able to ask for more hints for the same song (though that does add to the hint counter). And on that note:
  • Your first three hints are free, with no penalty.
  • For hints 4-6, you lose 1 point for each hint.
  • For hints 7 and beyond, you lose 3 points for each hint.
Deadline
The deadline for this contest is May 10, 2021 at 2:00am EDT.
You're free to change any of your answers before that point, even if you already submitted something.

So, without further ado!

The songs

And if you want a zipped folder of all of them, here's a direct download link!

Lastly, if you have any questions, just let me know! I probably missed something simple, since I've never done anything like this before. ^^;
Last edited by FourteenthOrder 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Bean
Yep.

Re: [Open!] Talkcordhaus VGM Guessing Contest 19: The Disappearance of Mario Mario

Post by Bean »

I'll be participating real soon. Just have to get through a busy Saturday first!
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Re: [Open!] Talkcordhaus VGM Guessing Contest 19: The Disappearance of Mario Mario

Post by Argumentable »

Since I'm not completely lost on the first few I've clicked I'm in.

E: or maybe not cause it seems the first few I clicked I could do but the rest I've done are ???
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)

Lots of people have said similar, it seems my difficulty estimates may be very wrong. ^^;

Still, it may be worth a shot regardless if you're interested, and there are always hints, too!
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

Oh dear hell this one is trickier than usual. I feel lucky to know the like, five songs I immediately recognized. Also I have no idea what the category gimmick is so hopefully someone else with way more VGM knowledge than I can solve it. :'D
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

This is hard and I don't have a clue as to what the gimmick is. If I can identify the tracks I could look at them and try to determine the gimmick rules, but for now I guess I'll just label random tracks?
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

somehow i just only now saw this, two weeks after the fact! oops
i'll Start

edit: did first pass real quick and This Is Pain
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Down to the last day here. Just got my guesses in overnight!
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)

12 hours left! Let me know if anyone wants any more hints or anything! 💚
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)

Re: [Closed!] Talkcordhaus VGM Guessing Contest 19: The Disappearance of Mario Mario

The contest is officially closed! I'm incredibly sleepy now though and will definitely still be willing to take any submissions sent overnight. ^^;

Still, thanks to everyone who participated, and I'll try to get the results out as soon as I can!