(shouting)

Superb Demo Sisters Official Release

Tenlade

Re: Superb Demo Sisters Official Release

Post by Tenlade »

Neat, gets a little too spammmy with bananasnakes and bullets later on, but othwise the lunnadll hacks are impressive and it seems well done.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Tenlade wrote:Neat, gets a little too spammmy with bananasnakes and bullets later on, but othwise the lunnadll hacks are impressive and it seems well done.
Which mode are you talking about, or all of them?

For me at least I do find banansnakes tricky in groups, but I still cannot consistently get the hang of the orbiting fireballs in 8-4. Those are the hardest parts of the game for me, although I do think 8-4 is only the second-hardest level in the main game, with the hardest being 7-1.
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

Unaniem wrote:I managed to accidentally break the game in 2-1

I used the springboard to go super high above the flagpole, bumped into the invisible wall that lies beyond it, tapped right to nudge slightly and fall on top of the flagpole triggering the level end event, but as I fell Demo still had the slight momentum to the right, dropping her next to the block the flagpole sits on. Since the level end event was triggered all she did at this point was walk into the block while nothing would happen.
um... do you mean "left"?

Considering the nature of the bug, I think you'd have to be deliberately trying to do it (like you did) in order to trigger it, so maybe this isn't worth a fix (I'm not sure how we could in the first place)? At least it's only in 2-1, which is very quick to get back to...
Doctor Shemp wrote:but I still cannot consistently get the hang of the orbiting fireballs in 8-4.
Don't know how much this helps (especially trying to describe it with words), but try and keep your eye on a single fireball and go through the gap after it; you have to 'aim earlier' than you think, as well. Something like that.

Glad people seem to be enjoying it so far!
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
Tenlade

Post by Tenlade »

Doctor Shemp wrote:
Tenlade wrote:Neat, gets a little too spammmy with bananasnakes and bullets later on, but othwise the lunnadll hacks are impressive and it seems well done.

For me at least I do find banansnakes tricky in groups, but I still cannot consistently get the hang of the orbiting fireballs in 8-4. Those are the hardest parts of the game for me, although I do think 8-4 is only the second-hardest level in the main game, with the hardest being 7-1.
the last two worlds felt like i was seeing a bananasnake every 2 screens , making that 2 bananasnakes at a time on world 8. wasn't impossible or antyhing, just felt like I was facing nothing but those after a point.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Tenlade wrote:
Doctor Shemp wrote:

the last two worlds felt like i was seeing a bananasnake every 2 screens , making that 2 bananasnakes at a time on world 8. wasn't impossible or antyhing, just felt like I was facing nothing but those after a point.
Well, they are the third-hardest enemy in the game, and having multiple butterflies or Banansnake Kings in a level would be ridiculous. I'm not trying to be defensive, but wouldn't you expect that the closer you get to the real Banansnake King (as opposed to his inferior clones), the more of his elite soldiers would show up? Assuming you read the manual of course.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

I beat the main game with relatively little trouble (accidentally used a warp zone i didnt intend to tho lol) but it was really awesome. also world 9 is amazing and i havent even gotten past the first level in it
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

just sayin', y'all should check your youtube video... thing... things, tonight. Things.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Heraga

Post by Heraga »

raocow wrote:just sayin', y'all should check your youtube video... thing... things, tonight. Things.
Mr. raocow, does this mean you shall LP this?
Mabel
Just west of wierd
https://marbels.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mabel »

raocow wrote:just sayin', y'all should check your youtube video... thing... things, tonight. Things.
HAPPENING
Image Image
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

Well, that's ominous.
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

I'm gonna do a minor update to address some issues ASAP (within the next week, anyways). If anyone has anything they want to bring up, now's a good time to do so.

Planned Changes:
-Adding the pallette swap to the Hard Mode Level Intros
-Fixing a few exits so Sheath doesn't ruin them
-Possibly removing a few coins from 3-1/3-2 (one of them is very easy to life farm in thanks to coin spam in Coin Heaven)
-Changing a jump in H6-4 (I was an idiot and made one jump almost impossible to land. My bad)
-Changing music in 5-2 to snow theme
-Glitch in warp zone from 4-2 (H4-2 probably too)
-KingTwelveSIXTEEN
-7-3 needs a big castle at the end
Last edited by WestonSmith 9 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

WestonSmith wrote:I'm gonna do a minor update to address some issues ASAP (within the next week, anyways). If anyone has anything they want to bring up, now's a good time to do so.
Zyglrox Odyssey wrote:9-3's still credited to KingTwelveSeventeen.
warpio

Post by warpio »

gah! I thought I was on track to beating this on my first try but 8-2 tore me apart. Lakitus + bullets + hammer bros + no easy to obtain powerups... I wasn't expecting the difficulty to ramp up that much.

From what I can tell, most of this game is about the same level of difficulty as SMB1... although I have absolutely no trouble getting through SMB1's world 8 only because I know it so well I can practically beat it blindfolded. I'm guessing the challenge world will be closer to SMB2j's level of difficulty?
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly

Post by swirlybomb »

Just because this is easy to misread (I know I did at first); it says KingTwelveSEVENteen when it should be SIXteen.

I haven't been able to play the actual final version, so I don't know if there is actually more stuff to fix, but I probably wouldn't find anything that I didn't before...
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

I came across a bug on 4-2 where after I would go pass the world 5 world pipe, enter the next pipe and then the new sublevel entire level would go diagonal and glitch out and I couldn't even though pause the game at that point.
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

swirlybomb wrote:
Just because this is easy to misread (I know I did at first); it says KingTwelveSEVENteen when it should be SIXteen.

I haven't been able to play the actual final version, so I don't know if there is actually more stuff to fix, but I probably wouldn't find anything that I didn't before...
The annoying part? This was fixed in Foxtrot, but unfixed when I moved to Genesis.

Super annoying.
Compound Fraxure
⇧ ⇧ ⇩ ⇩ ⇦ ⇨ ⇦ ⇨
First name: Jacob

Post by Compound Fraxure »

Septentrion Pleiades wrote:I came across a bug on 4-2 where after I would go pass the world 5 world pipe, enter the next pipe and then the new sublevel entire level would go diagonal and glitch out and I couldn't even though pause the game at that point.
That's strange. I encountered that problem in earlier versions of the level, but it works fine in the final version for me.
Their tusks can shatter rocks. Since a broken tusk will not grow back, they diligently sharpen their tusks on river rocks after they've been fighting. Territory battles between [name omitted] can be intensely violent.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

Compound Fraxure wrote:
Septentrion Pleiades wrote:I came across a bug on 4-2 where after I would go pass the world 5 world pipe, enter the next pipe and then the new sublevel entire level would go diagonal and glitch out and I couldn't even though pause the game at that point.
That's strange. I encountered that problem in earlier versions of the level, but it works fine in the final version for me.
I'm pretty sure this isn't the first time something like this has happened in SMBX engine. this could probably be solved by someone with general SMBX experience.
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly

Post by swirlybomb »

Oh right;

It'd be a good idea to change the invisible genies in 8-4/H8-4 that trigger the fire circles to 'Don't Move' and position them so that the fire circles always spawn the same way. Unfortunately there wasn't time to do/test this before release because of time reasons, but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

If you aren't able to do it yourself, I might be able to find time?
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly

Post by swirlybomb »

As seen in today's video, 7-3 has a small castle at the end instead of a big one.
Virus610

Post by Virus610 »

This is a pretty fun thing. You guys really were true to the SMB1 format. So much so, in fact, that my seething hatred for hammer bros managed to resurface and rear its ugly head.

So, y'know, well done with that.

That said, I think some of the challenge mode stages were kind of butts. Mainly:

1. Coral that hurts the player
Kind of unfortunate to die to something that, while it looks different, is still associated with a safe-to-touch block.

2. Stop and go screen scrolling that tends to fling the player about unpredictably.
I love the idea, I just wasn't fond of how I really didn't have any time to get acquainted with the mechanics without having to throw away a few lives just to experiment.

Also, I managed to kill myself on the hard mode "CONGRATULATIONS" screen. Granted, I was trying to do it, so that doesn't bother me at all. I was actually quite pleased.

Just sayin' though, Banana Snake King cheats: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmY5vhMaq6Q

(Also, hard mode BS King doesn't seem to shoot fire when it throws bananas. I assume this is a bug.)
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

I played this and it didn't turn out to be a good LP. It still may be of interest to the level designers. I missed the latter halfs of world 1 and 5 and died on level 8-1:
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

I've posted the updated version of the game, fixing various issues.

I was unable to replicate Sheath bypassing the exits, but I added a fail safe just in case.

I was unable to replicate the glitch in 4-2, and therefor did nothing to address that issue. Any one else able to replicate this?

I was unable to replicate the glitch in 2-1 with the springboard exit, nor am I sure how to fix such a thing. Any advice would be helpful.
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

I'm currently doing some work on SDS, despite being long dead. So two things:

(1) Any changes or fixes people would like seen made to the current game?

(2) Anybody interested in extra content? I've got some ideas, but not too interested in wasting time on them if everyone's interest level is near zero.