(shouting)

Regarding Hard Mode

What would the hard/challenge mode be like?

Enemies replacement à la SMB1
38%
6 red coins and a yoshi egg à la Super Mario Bros Deluxe
27%
Both?
35%

Total votes: 26

Clamestarebla
Clamkind Arch-Highlord

Regarding Hard Mode

Post by Clamestarebla »

Well the poll says it all.
Train harder, run faster, be stronger, better, evolution never over.
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Re: Regarding Hard Mode

Post by swirlybomb »

What would be the purpose of collecting the red coins and Yoshi eggs? Do they 'do' something, or are they just there to collect?
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
Clamestarebla
Clamkind Arch-Highlord

Post by Clamestarebla »

swirlybomb wrote:What would be the purpose of collecting the red coins and Yoshi eggs? Do they 'do' something, or are they just there to collect?
They'd basically be used to unlock the world's star which unlocks the next world in the level select. (I assume)
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

One thing we should note: If we do add a hard mode (and I'm all for it), it won't be until everything else is finalized. Because we'll be adjusting existing levels, any fixes we make to one will need to be made to the other. So hard mode will likely be the last thing added.

Also, I'm not sure if we want to go back and hand out the completed levels to their original creators to make hard mode versions. There are numerous issues with this, the biggest being that it will likely slow the process down (especially if we sit around waiting for the talkhauser to get around to it). So in the event that we do add a hard mode, it might be easiest just to have a few peeps work on it.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

WestonSmith wrote:One thing we should note: If we do add a hard mode (and I'm all for it), it won't be until everything else is finalized. Because we'll be adjusting existing levels, any fixes we make to one will need to be made to the other. So hard mode will likely be the last thing added.

Also, I'm not sure if we want to go back and hand out the completed levels to their original creators to make hard mode versions. There are numerous issues with this, the biggest being that it will likely slow the process down (especially if we sit around waiting for the talkhauser to get around to it). So in the event that we do add a hard mode, it might be easiest just to have a few peeps work on it.
Handing it out wouldn't take long. Making moving platforms smaller is a simple graphic replacement and making all enemies faster is just NPC codes. The only time-consuming thing would be replacing goombas with buzzy beetles.
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

Doctor Shemp wrote: Handing it out wouldn't take long. Making moving platforms smaller is a simple graphic replacement and making all enemies faster is just NPC codes. The only time-consuming thing would be replacing goombas with buzzy beetles.
That's exactly it. It's easier for a few people to go through and make those changes then wait for each individual to get around to it. I could probably do the changes myself in a matter of hours (if that).

Now, if we want to go through and make additional changes (ie red coins), that would require more work. But if we're sticking to KISS, then I don't forsee hard mode being a big project.
Clamestarebla
Clamkind Arch-Highlord

Post by Clamestarebla »

How about peeps submit the hard mode version of their levels as they send the normal ones?
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

Clemasterable wrote:How about peeps submit the hard mode version of their levels as they send the normal ones?
The problem is if any changes are made, they need to be made to BOTH levels. Not that I expect to make many changes, but I like to cut back on the amount of work I'll be doing during "post-production."
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

I feel like it'd be easier to give the finished levels to just a small group/a couple of people to make the Hard Mode changes, if you just get a couple volunteers (I could probably participate if it really is that simple). Just if red coins/yoshi egg/whatever stuff was added, then everyone participating in making changes would need to be on the same page with "how does it work/where things should be placed" and such.
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
KingTwelveSixteen
? Title Title Title Title ?

Post by KingTwelveSixteen »

I volunteer for doing the Red Coin stuff as well.
glitch4

Post by glitch4 »

6 red coins with Yoshi egg.Seriously,who wants a mode that it's replacing emenies?It's not even challenging at all.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

LitDude42 wrote:6 red coins with Yoshi egg.Seriously,who wants a mode that it's replacing emenies?It's not even challenging at all.
Replacing enemies isn't challenging? Why not replace every enemy with Bowser then? It's not like it'll make the game any harder by your logic.

In any case, it's not just that goombas become buzzy beetles, it's that we set speed=1.5 for every single NPC, reduce all moving/falling platform widths by 40% and add more firebars to all castles. Look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RBZGYEjcxM#t=4m18s
This is 1-4 of SMB on Hard Mode. Are you telling me that doesn't look like a challenge to you?
KingTwelveSixteen
? Title Title Title Title ?

Post by KingTwelveSixteen »

Doctor Shemp wrote: In any case, it's not just that goombas become buzzy beetles, it's that we set speed=1.5 for every single NPC, reduce all moving/falling platform widths by 40% and add more firebars to all castles.
Wait, doesn't that have a chance of crashing the game on some computers? The thing I read that explained all the npc codes mentioned that.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

KingTwelveSixteen wrote:
Doctor Shemp wrote: In any case, it's not just that goombas become buzzy beetles, it's that we set speed=1.5 for every single NPC, reduce all moving/falling platform widths by 40% and add more firebars to all castles.
Wait, doesn't that have a chance of crashing the game on some computers? The thing I read that explained all the npc codes mentioned that.
Oh yeah, it'll crash the hell out of any computer where the system language is one that uses commas rather than full stops/periods to denote decimals. However,
a) It's an easy thing to fix: it just requires a quick change to the system settings and
b) It's a fix that all the big SMBX games (ASMBXT, A2MBXT, STTB) already require you to do
Honestly I'd be surprised if there's anyone playing this game that would need to make the fix that hasn't already done so. And if they haven't, well, we've saved them the time of having to do it later.
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

Can we have an All-Hammer-Bros mode similar to SMBC? Also we could replace the actual hammer bros with bowser, lol!