(shouting)

Level Exits: How We Handle 'Em?

WestonSmith
Bunny

Level Exits: How We Handle 'Em?

Post by WestonSmith »

Well? In the demo kit, I used the SMB3 roullette. It isn't perfect, but it works.

In my current version, I'm using a proper SMB1 flag exit. However, it does not work when a level features looping events, and I suspect many will. It's possible that a similar effect can be done with moving layers (invisible blocks pushing down and right on the player), though I've yet to try it.

The final option would be a re-skinned SMW tape exit. I'm not sure if it's possible to make the "tape" stay put via NPC flags, but if so, this might be the easiest option while staying closer to SMB1.

Thoughts? Any sort of concensus would be nice before we begin. When I'm free either tonight or tomorrow, I might try them all out and post video.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Re: Level Exits: How We Handle 'Em?

Post by pholtos »

Perhaps upon reaching the end flag there is an invisible wall above the flagpole and upon touching the flagpole, an event happens that drops the main char straight down onto the exit... or something along that line.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Again, Look at A2MBXTR EP1's The Action of Syo and Bon. That has a SMB1 flag exit that works.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Weston Smith

Post by Weston Smith »

SAJewers wrote:Again, Look at A2MBXTR EP1's The Action of Syo and Bon. That has a SMB1 flag exit that works.
Unless I'm mistaken, the current method I'm using is the same as Syo and Bon's. I'll have another look when I get home.
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

Confirmed. My exit is the same as Syo and Bons. Working on another solution. I tried a re-skinned SMW exit, but was disappointed to find I couldn't keep it still.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

What if you just made it invisible, placed it on a flagpole background decoration thing, and then put a bunch of invisible blocks on the column immediately after it except for the bottom two so Demo falls to the ground before walking?
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

Leet wrote:What if you just made it invisible, placed it on a flagpole background decoration thing, and then put a bunch of invisible blocks on the column immediately after it except for the bottom two so Demo falls to the ground before walking?
That might work. My current solution was to add another looping event to overwrite the problem one. It would launch Demo forward. It works great. The only problem is forcing Demo DOWN the flagpole. If we simply trap Demo with invisible blocks like you suggest, my current method might be good enough. Gonna try again later on.

EDIT: So, the most elegant solution I've found is to simply drop the "climbing" aspect of the flag exit (at least for levels with looping events). By using a new loop of moving right and adding an invisible wall (thanks Leet), everything plays out the same, except Demo doesn't descend the flag. No messy layer stuff with its potential glitchiness, no super odd animations, no exit NPCs, nothing difficult to implement. Until someone shows me a better solution, I'm moving forward with this as the best solution possible.
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Forgive my ignorance, but how does one do a Syo & Bon level exit?