(shouting)

Bugs, Testing, and Help (Oh My!)

WestonSmith
Bunny

Bugs, Testing, and Help (Oh My!)

Post by WestonSmith »

It's a little early, but for anyone submitting levels, this will be the go to thread for things of this sort. This sort being testing and help. And bugs. It was all in the title really.

Ahem.
Clamestarebla
Clamkind Arch-Highlord

Re: Bugs, Testing, and Help (Oh My!)

Post by Clamestarebla »

Don't know if you knew this but, I was replaying the demo and I found that if you die in 1-2, the little intro cutscene doesn't play and you have to enter the pipe manually.
Train harder, run faster, be stronger, better, evolution never over.
Clamestarebla
Clamkind Arch-Highlord

Post by Clamestarebla »

Also, I was wondering if there'd be way to make whirlpools like in SMB. They basically were, for those unaware, pits in the underwater levels that when you were above, you'd be dragged down towards your demise. I assume there's a way to do that with luna.dll? If so, how? (I suck at luna.dll)
Compound Fraxure
⇧ ⇧ ⇩ ⇩ ⇦ ⇨ ⇦ ⇨
First name: Jacob

Post by Compound Fraxure »

I noticed that in the blank levels, the flagpoles are 10 blocks high, but in the demo levels, they are 11 blocks high. The flags that are 10 blocks high go down below the base of the flag, but the 11 block high flags stop at the base. Which one are we going to use?

Also, the blank level with events walks to the right, but only at a very slow pace.
Their tusks can shatter rocks. Since a broken tusk will not grow back, they diligently sharpen their tusks on river rocks after they've been fighting. Territory battles between [name omitted] can be intensely violent.
Kil

Post by Kil »

Clemasterable wrote:Also, I was wondering if there'd be way to make whirlpools like in SMB. They basically were, for those unaware, pits in the underwater levels that when you were above, you'd be dragged down towards your demise. I assume there's a way to do that with luna.dll? If so, how? (I suck at luna.dll)
It's a decent amount of work. You have to open the debugger in the level editor and point to 4 points which form a rectangle of any size and note the coordinates. For each rectangle in your level you want that will push demo down, you have to get 4 more coordinates. If that doesn't sound like more work than you're willing to do then I'll explain the rest and set up a template which you can fill in.
DON'T PM me. Ask your question in the help thread so everyone can be answered.
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

Compound Fraxure wrote:I noticed that in the blank levels, the flagpoles are 10 blocks high, but in the demo levels, they are 11 blocks high. The flags that are 10 blocks high go down below the base of the flag, but the 11 block high flags stop at the base. Which one are we going to use?

Also, the blank level with events walks to the right, but only at a very slow pace.
Poop. I thought I included the 11 block one.

Yes, it SHOULD be 11 blocks high, so the flag stops right before the base.

And yes, the blank level with events SHOULD move to the right. Not sure why it's moving super slow. Works fine on my computer. I'll look into it tonight.
Axon

Post by Axon »

Compound Fraxure wrote: Also, the blank level with events walks to the right, but only at a very slow pace.
I think that's because only one of the "Right" events has the "right" box checked. When I check it in the other event, it works fine.
Clamestarebla
Clamkind Arch-Highlord

Post by Clamestarebla »

Kil wrote:
Clemasterable wrote:Also, I was wondering if there'd be way to make whirlpools like in SMB. They basically were, for those unaware, pits in the underwater levels that when you were above, you'd be dragged down towards your demise. I assume there's a way to do that with luna.dll? If so, how? (I suck at luna.dll)
It's a decent amount of work. You have to open the debugger in the level editor and point to 4 points which form a rectangle of any size and note the coordinates. For each rectangle in your level you want that will push demo down, you have to get 4 more coordinates. If that doesn't sound like more work than you're willing to do then I'll explain the rest and set up a template which you can fill in.
Hit me, woman!
Axon

Post by Axon »

I've just finished 4-3 (or a first draft of it, maybe):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xcuycqfwah7efn4/Axon-4-3.rar

Is the level of difficulty okay? Is it long enough? Any other feedback?
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

I fixed the blank levels. My bad folks.
Kil

Post by Kil »

Clemasterable wrote:
Kil wrote:
Hit me, woman!

Code: Select all

// Trigger #1000 when demo enters any of these rectangles (Rectangle bounds order: Up Down Left Right)
TriggerZone,1000,-200840,-200545,-199271,-199198,0
TriggerZone,1000,??????,??????,??????,??????,0

// Add 1 to player X coordinate
PlayerMemSet,0,+0xC8,1,1,1,df

#END
Fill in the ??? with more rectangle coordinates. Add more TriggerZone if you need even more.
Clamestarebla
Clamkind Arch-Highlord

Post by Clamestarebla »

// Trigger #1000 when demo enters any of these rectangles (Rectangle bounds order: Up Down Left Right)

#END
Fill in the ??? with more rectangle coordinates. Add more TriggerZone if you need even more.
When you say Up,Down,Left,Right do you mean Up-Left, Up-Right, Down-Left, Down-Right or i it something else?
Clamestarebla
Clamkind Arch-Highlord

Post by Clamestarebla »

Axon wrote:I've just finished 4-3 (or a first draft of it, maybe):

I just played through it, very nice and smb-esque although I find it a bit short. The platforming was really well done. Kudos!
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

Axon wrote:I've just finished 4-3 (or a first draft of it, maybe):

I just tested out the level and it seems really good!
I only have two small critiques.

It seems like there's too many coins, remember that the original SMB
didn't have too many coins per level, I recommend removing some of the coins.

Also, the Power-up and 1-up are the wrong kind I think,
are we using the standard ones or the retro style ones in the SMB 1 Tab?

Either way, great level!
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
Clamestarebla
Clamkind Arch-Highlord

Post by Clamestarebla »

OK last thing I swear,
Ar-hem... how do you make these stupid fishes go through walls? Because apparently that's not something you can change in their AI tab so I imagine I have to put them on a separate layer and do some magic?
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

I've just finished my 3-2 level.

https://www.mediafire.com/?uvqawtgmt96plp9

Offer any feedback and issues that you find please!
Last edited by MonkeyShrapnel 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
Kil

Post by Kil »

Clemasterable wrote:

#END
When you say Up,Down,Left,Right do you mean Up-Left, Up-Right, Down-Left, Down-Right or i it something else?
Up and down are Y coordinates, left and right are X coordinates. Just move the mouse and get the sides of the rectangle, not the corners.

Or if you want to do it by corners, you only need 2 corners for a rectangle so point at the top left and get the Y + X (U + L), then point at the bottom right and get the Y + X (D + R)
Clamestarebla
Clamkind Arch-Highlord

Post by Clamestarebla »

MonkeyShrapnel wrote:I've just finished my 3-2 level.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/3b4j1 ... _-_3-2.zip

3 words; Screw Ice Physics
As far as difficulty goes, either I just really suck or the ice physics just make this level impossible. As for the level design, it's quite good and I like it. Much better in terms of length than your other level. But those ice physics man. They made me AngerClem.
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

Clemasterable wrote:OK last thing I swear,
Ar-hem... how do you make these stupid fishes go through walls? Because apparently that's not something you can change in their AI tab so I imagine I have to put them on a separate layer and do some magic?
Set up an NPC-file called npc-##.txt. In it, write: noblockcollision=1
Place this file in your levels file folder. The fish should swim through blocks.
Axon

Post by Axon »

Thank you for the feedback! Glad you liked it.
Clemasterable wrote:I find it a bit short
It's about as long as the original, though.
MonkeyShrapnel wrote: It seems like there's too many coins, remember that the original SMB
didn't have too many coins per level, I recommend removing some of the coins.
Yes, I think I'll remove a few coins to match the original 4-3 more closely.
MonkeyShrapnel wrote: Also, the Power-up and 1-up are the wrong kind I think,
are we using the standard ones or the retro style ones in the SMB 1 Tab?
Sure, I'll change that.
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

Here is the first draft of 5-1.

Something new I tested out in this level that we may want to consider; multi-coin blocks in SMBX have no time limit like in the games. This means that you can hit it once, wait an hour, and still get the rest of the coins out of it. I through in a block that, once hit, starts a timer that will replace the block with a single coin block. The only issue is with Iris, who can collect the multi-coin block, but then a NEW block takes its place after the time finishes.

Do we want to use it or nah?
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

Clemasterable wrote:

3 words; Screw Ice Physics
As far as difficulty goes, either I just really suck or the ice physics just make this level impossible. As for the level design, it's quite good and I like it. Much better in terms of length than your other level. But those ice physics man. They made me AngerClem.
Yeah, never been a fan of ice physics myself, the levels is harder thanks to them but if you take your time and make good use of the shells then the level ain't too bad.

Axon

Post by Axon »

I've updated 4-3:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/q5neqpezwhgn1 ... -4-3V2.rar

I think it's overall pretty good and faithful to the original (although somewhat longer). I didn't find any really big issue, but I would recommend shifting some of the floating blocks higher to make it easier to pass underneath:
Also, ice physics sure make things more challenging.
I like it.
-It's noticeably harder than the original (probably because of the ice physics and the higher number of cannons).
-Suggestion: you could add a bonus room.
-The spring part is unconventional but not in a bad way.
KingTwelveSixteen
? Title Title Title Title ?

Post by KingTwelveSixteen »

Done with 6-2.

It's a bit unusual, therefor I request critiques. I included the custom graphics for the flagpole in the download folder as well.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

WestonSmith wrote:Here is the first draft of 5-1.

Something new I tested out in this level that we may want to consider; multi-coin blocks in SMBX have no time limit like in the games. This means that you can hit it once, wait an hour, and still get the rest of the coins out of it. I through in a block that, once hit, starts a timer that will replace the block with a single coin block. The only issue is with Iris, who can collect the multi-coin block, but then a NEW block takes its place after the time finishes.

Do we want to use it or nah?
I don't think this distinction matters too much, to be honest. I'm betting most people won't even notice there's a difference if you don't mention it.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.