(shouting)

Level Signup Sheet

WestonSmith
Bunny

Re: Level Signup Sheet

Post by WestonSmith »

I don't believe so. I have a WIP copy I think.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Clemasterable wrote:Didn't I send you 1-1?
If it's the same version as the most recent one posted in the Bugs & Testing thread, you really really should go through and fix what swirlybomb said you should fix. Having just played it, he's right about all of it. You really are asking too much of the player in it. It's not just major things like the one-tile jumps. But seriously though, one-tile jumps? That's explicitly in the guide as being a World 8 thing. Yes they're bypassable by a running jump but a) then it's a running two-tile jump which isn't much better and b) there is no guarantee in 1-1 that the player knows how to run. 1-1 should be able to serve as an introduction to the game for someone who's never played a platformer before.

There are other important things that swirlybomb is right about that I feel I need to reiterate:
The start needs to be moved to the left so that the player is not immediately confronted by furbas. The player needs a safe zone at the start to figure out how to actually move. Secondly, a safe zone with empty space to the right and nothing to the left implicitly suggests that moving to the right is important.

The koopa near the block that his shell can hit is a great idea! It's excellent that you included it as it's very important to teach the player that shells will rebound off blocks. The concern swirlybomb & I share over it is that the koopa is too close to the block. It needs to be close enough for the rebound to be observable on the same screen but far enough that a player who doesn't expect the rebound still has time to react. Currently it only fits the first requirement.

There's too many pits generally. The original 1-1 had just three and they all occurred after the player had already proven that they could jump over non-fatal gaps by jumping between two pipes. Also, when the jumps over the pits did happen they were all easier jumps than the ones over safe ground.

The pit with enemies in it does not give enough of a reward for going in there. Either the reward should be upgraded or it should be scrapped completely so that the player knows to avoid the area. There's a place in this game to trick the player into risking their life for nothing but it's definitely not in 1-1.

1-1 is the most important level in the game and it's vital that it's the best it can be.
Clamestarebla
Clamkind Arch-Highlord

Post by Clamestarebla »

Doctor Shemp wrote:
Clemasterable wrote:Didn't I send you 1-1?
If it's the same version as the most recent one posted in the Bugs & Testing thread, you really really should go through and fix what swirlybomb said you should fix. Having just played it, he's right about all of it. You really are asking too much of the player in it. It's not just major things like the one-tile jumps. But seriously though, one-tile jumps? That's explicitly in the guide as being a World 8 thing. Yes they're bypassable by a running jump but a) then it's a running two-tile jump which isn't much better and b) there is no guarantee in 1-1 that the player knows how to run. 1-1 should be able to serve as an introduction to the game for someone who's never played a platformer before.

There are other important things that swirlybomb is right about that I feel I need to reiterate:
The start needs to be moved to the left so that the player is not immediately confronted by furbas. The player needs a safe zone at the start to figure out how to actually move. Secondly, a safe zone with empty space to the right and nothing to the left implicitly suggests that moving to the right is important.

The koopa near the block that his shell can hit is a great idea! It's excellent that you included it as it's very important to teach the player that shells will rebound off blocks. The concern swirlybomb & I share over it is that the koopa is too close to the block. It needs to be close enough for the rebound to be observable on the same screen but far enough that a player who doesn't expect the rebound still has time to react. Currently it only fits the first requirement.

There's too many pits generally. The original 1-1 had just three and they all occurred after the player had already proven that they could jump over non-fatal gaps by jumping between two pipes. Also, when the jumps over the pits did happen they were all easier jumps than the ones over safe ground.

The pit with enemies in it does not give enough of a reward for going in there. Either the reward should be upgraded or it should be scrapped completely so that the player knows to avoid the area. There's a place in this game to trick the player into risking their life for nothing but it's definitely not in 1-1.

1-1 is the most important level in the game and it's vital that it's the best it can be.
I know I just thought I sent him the 3rd version by PM
Train harder, run faster, be stronger, better, evolution never over.
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

Doctor Shemp wrote:swirlybomb is right/I agree with swirlybomb/etc
hoorayyyyy I'm not useless/incorrect!!!
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.