63%
Nay!
38%

Total votes: 24

WestonSmith
Bunny

Ice Physics: Yay or Nay?

Post by WestonSmith »

Thanks to LimePie and Bwarch, here comes our first poll/group decision. More to follow.

Snow will appear in approx. 5 out of 32 stages. While ice physics were not apart of the original Super Mario Bros, we're not exactly sticking to the script here. So would we like to implement ice physics in our snow levels? Poll will run for two weeks.
Clamestarebla
Clamkind Arch-Highlord

Re: Ice Physics: Yay or Nay?

Post by Clamestarebla »

I say nay but I think 6-3 ( the white level) should have it since it seems to be the most appropriate place to have it at and having every snow level ice-physiced would get tiredsome. But if ,on the other hand, it would only appear once it would provide variety to the game.
Train harder, run faster, be stronger, better, evolution never over.
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing.

I don't want Ice physics for all the snow levels
but having one level focused on it would stop it from getting old.

It would keep it more faithful but still have some new concepts.
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

Nay outside of 6-3 is something I am alright with. If we went fully one or the other I'd say Nay since SMBX ice physics are hatred but I can definitely deal with putting them in 6-3 for variety's sake.
I don't really get it but okay
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

Maybe I'll just be that guy that always uses ice physics. A wintery levet just wouldn't look right without it.
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
Clamestarebla
Clamkind Arch-Highlord

Post by Clamestarebla »

Here's a little idea: in replacement for ice-physics outside of 6-3, how about we have snow-physics instead?

Explanation: When walking over a certain block type that would be retextured to look like normal snow and has a small snow pile as FG, some luna magic would make the player and NPCs move a tiny bit slower than usual. It would bring a new flavour to the table and could be a good alternative for ice-physics.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Clemasterable wrote:Here's a little idea: in replacement for ice-physics outside of 6-3, how about we have snow-physics instead?

Explanation: When walking over a certain block type that would be retextured to look like normal snow and has a small snow pile as FG, some luna magic would make the player and NPCs move a tiny bit slower than usual. It would bring a new flavour to the table and could be a good alternative for ice-physics.
Is that possible? To me there's something about that idea that doesn't seem that fun. It makes you slower without really adding any challenge since it makes the NPCs slower as well. It's essentially playing the game at a slightly slowed-down speed.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Clemasterable wrote:Here's a little idea: in replacement for ice-physics outside of 6-3, how about we have snow-physics instead?

You can do something similar with Quicksand. There's a section of Just Rusty for A2MBXT Ep1 that does this.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Clamestarebla
Clamkind Arch-Highlord

Post by Clamestarebla »

I believe in LunaDll there is a way to make an event (in this case X speed) be triggered by touching a certain block. And I don't think it would have to be all over the place it would mostly be for adding a bit of difficulty to certain parts like near hammer bros or things like that. You know, the more I think about it, the lamer it sounds haha.
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

Surprising popularity for ice physics. Any chance of a turnaround?
Isrieri
Creatively Bankrupt
Pronouns: Male

Post by Isrieri »

My vote goes to snowy ground = normal, ice blocks = slippery.

That way you don't have endless terrain that is nothing but slippery ice.