(shouting)

Superb Demo Sisters

swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Re: Superb Demo Sisters

Post by swirlybomb »

Kil wrote:By the way. I noticed not many people have the lunadll thing in their folder which adds the SMB1 ruleset to their level. I finally re-did the global thing, so now you can set globals on a world by world basis. So you can have a global lunadll file for SDS only. You could put the SMB1 ruleset in there without having to add them to every folder and without it affecting A2MBXT.
Most excellent; I wanted to raise the issue that some Luna files don't seem to be working properly, but this should fix everything, hooray!

Although I'm finding myself with not much free time lately, I should still be able to do full-game testing at some point... I think.
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

STATUS REPORT (AKA lots of random thoughts)

I have all levels compiled and linked together (including stage intros with author names). Currently working through playtesting for bugs and other such issues. Biggest issue so far is that many levels opt to use "automatically start" for events in their level. Because this only works upon level entry, dieing stops events. Easily solveable with NPC deaths instead, so no worries. Other big issue is exits for levels with looping events; it works, but it's buggier than I would like.

4-4 and 7-4 are playable, but not as maze castles. Cheez8 has provided me with everything necessary to make it work (in theory, anyways). To prevent delay, I've opted to simply make them regular castles for the moment.

Compound Fraxue made some really nice looking warp zone graphics for 4-2; I've tried imitating it, but I suck with the graphics editor (using GIMP). For the time being, 1-2 lacks WARP ZONE graphics. Will fix later.

I've kept a tally on coins and 1-ups in the game. Some stages are super generous, others not so much. I probably won't play around with these for the time being, but feedback during beta will determine which levels need an increase/decrease in coins. Virtually all castle stages are devoid of either, which I think is suitable.

The Overworld music might get a bit grating on players ears after a while. Thinking about changing the music used in Snow levels and/or Fish Jumping levels for variety sake. Unsure on this one.

Added a star to the end of 8-4 as a way of unlocking stuff. Currently unlocks World 9, though this will change to Hard Mode in the final version.

World 9 is a bitch, by the way. Going to give extra levels via LunaDLL magic at the start of World 9. Bump from 3 to 5, at the very least. Also, 9-1 (my level) feels horribly un-special compared to the others (World 9 has some really neat stuff considering the scope of this project).

All in all, progress is good. I probably should NOT have promised a beta by today, as it will have to wait a few more days. No sense in having people test stuff that I know has issues. Overall, feeling SUPER pumped about this project again. Lots o'fun on the ol' TV set with SNES controller. I suspect it won't be every Talkhauser's cup of tea (less emphasis on things like flavour and variety, more on structure and Mario style platforming), but it's shaping up to be a nice alternative to the other collabs done here. Hope to have something decent put together shortly (next few days) for everyone to test.
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly

Post by swirlybomb »

WestonSmith wrote:The Overworld music might get a bit grating on players ears after a while. Thinking about changing the music used in Snow levels and/or Fish Jumping levels for variety sake. Unsure on this one.
For what it's worth, I think the Overworld music is SUPER DUPER PLEASANT and would not get tired of hearing it.

I think somewhere you mentioned that you're moving end-castles to generally be closer, or at least into the spots they're 'supposed' to be for timing's sake? Hopefully you didn't change 9-7's, because... hopefully-obvious reasons.
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

I don't think using different music would make that much of a difference. There are three instances where the player would hear the same music three levels in a row (3-1, 3-2, 3-3; 5-1, 5-2, 5-3; and 8-1, 8-2, 8-3 (although I'm not sure about World 9)) but using different music for snow and treetops levels (if that's what you mean by fish jumping) would still leave the same music twice in a row for 3-1, 3-2 and 5-1, 5-2 and 8-1, 8-2, 8-3 would still be the same music three times in a row.
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

Yes, I left 9-7 as is. Couldn't ruin that.

I'll probably leave the music as is. The SMB1 selection is actually very fitting. Listening to the SMB2 and SMB3 selections, most of the music seems ill-fitting for their respective stages/themes. I think someone brought this up ages ago, but if we ever did SDS2 or SDS3, we'd likely have to look outside the editor for appropiate music (for the most part, anyways).
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

I don't think we should look outside the editor for SDS2 & 3 (sits that's counter to kind of the whole vibe here) but we should certainly look outside the tabs. There's some great stuff in the Mario RPG, SM64 and Misc tabs.
Kil

Post by Kil »

who do I have to beat up outside the cafeteria to get the beta
DON'T PM me. Ask your question in the help thread so everyone can be answered.
Compound Fraxure
⇧ ⇧ ⇩ ⇩ ⇦ ⇨ ⇦ ⇨
First name: Jacob

Post by Compound Fraxure »

Do we know if Mr. Cow will be LPing the final game yet?
Their tusks can shatter rocks. Since a broken tusk will not grow back, they diligently sharpen their tusks on river rocks after they've been fighting. Territory battles between [name omitted] can be intensely violent.
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

Posted an Alpha for testing. Lots of stuff still to work on, but its playable at this point. Haven't beat World 9 yet though (and technically, I don't know that the levels are linked properly, but they should be). Main game should run smoothly.

Also, as far as I know, raocow has no idea we exist.
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

It was brought up over in the request grab-bag a while back, and I think the general consensus was that a game like this that has no save points and which must be played all in one go from start to finish doesn't really jive with the way raocow makes videos. Even if it's a good game, it wouldn't be a good LPing game, essentially.

I don't remember if raocow himself popped in to agree, but I know somebody reached that conclusion and it sounded accurate.
I don't really get it but okay
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Yeah, it's possible to use warpzones as rough checkpoints, but the only way to LP it practically would be to beat the whole thing in one session during a spare day, like over a weekend, then cut it up into episodes and release it that way. Not really raocow's style. It could definitely be something for Talkhaus VS though.
Axon

Post by Axon »

cheez8 wrote:It was brought up over in the request grab-bag a while back, and I think the general consensus was that a game like this that has no save points and which must be played all in one go from start to finish doesn't really jive with the way raocow makes videos. Even if it's a good game, it wouldn't be a good LPing game, essentially.

I don't remember if raocow himself popped in to agree, but I know somebody reached that conclusion and it sounded accurate.
An easy solution would be to make every world end with a leek and have a warp zone in the HUB that allows you to reach any world, as long as you have collected the proper number of leeks. Of course, anyone who wants to beat the game in one shot would still be free to do so.
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

I never really thought about LPs back when this first started. Since I plan on having a Warp HUB anyways after beating the game, one option would be to provide a save with all leeks collected, and play each World as an episode. It's certainly not the full experience, but its a reasonable substitute if someone really wanted to make Youtube videos.
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly

Post by swirlybomb »

Recently I had the idea of drawing an 'official art' thing for the game... would you guys be down with that if I did? I did a quick sketch so far (this would ultimately be a colored thing, of course);
SDSrough.png
SDSrough.png (335.02 KiB) Viewed 7123 times
Not totally sure about the composition yet (the snake-boss-Bowser-guy would be higher in the background). Any suggestions, or does it seem alright? Should there be more enemies present? Or should I do something more along the lines of the original SMB1 art?
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

Swirly, you da bomb (har har).

Seriously though, I'm a huge fan of the old NES art, especially Mario, MegaMan, and Zelda. If you wanted to create official art, whether that be a fictitious boxart or instruction manual designs, that would be super cool. Even better if we could slip it in the game somewhere, though I'm unsure what the limits are for graphic swaps in this game (in terms of size, colours, and quality).

Anyways, the WIP is cool. They don't make action shots like that anymore.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

It'd be a pain to set up, but it could be done as background tiles (probably with separate .lvl files).

Even more of a pain would be replacing actual blocks with concept art slices.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly

Post by swirlybomb »

If you really wanted to put it in the game, it could be done as an NPC, but I just meant for it to be like a 'promotional' artwork thing thing.

For that matter, I'd prefer to do a nice splash art like that rather than 'instruction manual'-type stuff because the latter would be a lot more work, but yeah. Just wondering if I should roll with it as-is, or add/change stuff (again, plan to include the snake-boss-guy too), or mimic the SMB1 art instead, or whatever.

WestonSmith wrote:I'll probably leave the music as is. The SMB1 selection is actually very fitting. Listening to the SMB2 and SMB3 selections, most of the music seems ill-fitting for their respective stages/themes. I think someone brought this up ages ago, but if we ever did SDS2 or SDS3, we'd likely have to look outside the editor for appropiate music (for the most part, anyways).
guess who :v
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly

Post by swirlybomb »

Help I don't know whether Iris should have the hair I gave her or change her bangs to the 'hime cut'/straight style as seen in references here viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14636&p=217261#p213572
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

MAKE HER PURPLE AGAIN YOU CAD

...Okay but seriously, go with official if you think it looks better only. This is basically a fangame of a fangame, maybe MrDeePay (if he even cares about Iris) at most will raise a huge stink over it.

It's not a huge deal, yo!
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

I was thinking that Challenge World, or something like it, would be a better name for world 9 than World 9. If someone is for some reason unaware that the game has 8 worlds then the HUB would immediately spoil that. Plus Challenge World sounds more of a big deal than just World 9. Same with Challenge 1, Challenge 2 etc. rather than just 9-1, 9-2 etc. Also, if it isn't set up like that already, Hard Mode should unlock before World 9/Challenge World since it's so tricky.
KingTwelveSixteen
? Title Title Title Title ?

Post by KingTwelveSixteen »

I think hard mode and challenge world should both open immediately after finishing the game once. No need to railroad the player into doing one first or anything, right?
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

I like the idea of calling it Challenge World too. It may not be specifically in the spirit of the original SMB per se, but the way it sounds like its own isolated thing (which it is) rather than simply a continuation of the main game, as well as a difficult and optional task purely for bragging rights rather than some random, difficult location you don't really have any better reason to travel through, makes it sound much more enticing and rewarding.

Letting it unlock at the same time as Hard Mode is a good idea too, though. I would not be very happy if I knew a game had unique and exclusive postgame content for me to enjoy but forced me to play through the game a second time in order to access it, even with a game this short, and even if there are some small differences in the levels.
I don't really get it but okay
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly

Post by swirlybomb »

I'd be on board for referring to world 9 as 'Challenge World' within the hub, but I think it could still be reasonably referred to as 9-x (or maybe something else, like X-x?) for the level intro screens.

Ditto for Hard Mode/Challenge World being unlocked at the same time, that seems like a reasonable idea.
Grounder wrote:MAKE HER PURPLE AGAIN YOU CAD

...Okay but seriously, go with official if you think it looks better only. This is basically a fangame of a fangame, maybe MrDeePay (if he even cares about Iris) at most will raise a huge stink over it.

It's not a huge deal, yo!
...eh? My would DeePay care? Unless he designed Iris? (I'm not really privy to the origins of all these characters)

In any case, I decided to stick with the hair I drew this time, and if there happen to be future games, then I can "fix" the hair for those ones if necessary.
Here's how the pic looks now:
SDSwip2.png
SDSwip2.png (324.26 KiB) Viewed 7497 times
I haven't been working on it much because I'm actually doing art for another game right now, and since it has a deadline it takes priority... but I'm still trying to get this done and colored soon-ish, hopefully. I think there's space to fit another enemy in the background, either above the Furba/to the right of Demo (pipe+plant, bananasnake, or something else), or put a lakitu in the sky in the upper-left corner. I say 'either' because doing both might be a bit cluttered. Recommendations?
Clamestarebla
Clamkind Arch-Highlord

Post by Clamestarebla »

I would say put a lakitu in the corner
Train harder, run faster, be stronger, better, evolution never over.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Maybe in the big gap between the beet and the furba you could have a bananasnake in the background facing towards Demo with a banana arcing towards her. Might be tricky to get the perspective right though.