(shouting)

Superb Demo Sisters

WestonSmith
Bunny

Re: Superb Demo Sisters

Post by WestonSmith »

And 2-3 is off the table!

Next up, 4-4 is up for grabs. If not claimed in the next 24 hours, I'll be taking it myself.
KingTwelveSixteen
? Title Title Title Title ?

Post by KingTwelveSixteen »

WestonSmith wrote:And 2-3 is off the table!

Next up, 4-4 is up for grabs. If not claimed in the next 24 hours, I'll be taking it myself.
If I choose to make 4-4, would I have to do the weird teleporting infinite corridor thing like the original did? Because if so the answer is no, otherwise I'm taking it.
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

KingTwelveSixteen wrote:
WestonSmith wrote:And 2-3 is off the table!

If I choose to make 4-4, would I have to do the weird teleporting infinite corridor thing like the original did? Because if so the answer is no, otherwise I'm taking it.
Mmmmmmmm....
...mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...
....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

Someone else is in the process of making another castle with this same gimmick. I'd say that if they can make it work, we should use it here as well.

Having said that, I'm all for the game being fun rather than an exact replica. I think the key is to have a notable gimmick in this castle; it helps break up the monotony of "oh look, another castle with firebars." So perhaps the answer should be "it doesn't HAVE to be an infinite maze, but it does need a notable gimmick." If you can make a compelling case for something more interesting then a maze castle, I'd say go for it.

Um, thoughts from anyone else? Objections? For now, I'll reserve the level as yours, and I'll let you know by Monday.
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

WestonSmith wrote:Someone else is in the process of making another castle with this same gimmick. I'd say that if they can make it work, we should use it here as well.

Having said that, I'm all for the game being fun rather than an exact replica. I think the key is to have a notable gimmick in this castle; it helps break up the monotony of "oh look, another castle with firebars." So perhaps the answer should be "it doesn't HAVE to be an infinite maze, but it does need a notable gimmick." If you can make a compelling case for something more interesting then a maze castle, I'd say go for it.

Um, thoughts from anyone else? Objections? For now, I'll reserve the level as yours, and I'll let you know by Monday.
I think if we can come up with an implementation of it that's virtually indistinguishable from the real thing then that's really cool and we should definitely use it. If all we can (or care to) manage is a somewhat close facsimile that kinda looks like the original if you've never actually seen the original then I personally don't mind breaking from the original gimmick for the sake of having one that works as intended.

On an unrelated note, where do I put the SuperbDemoSistersKit folder in the dev kit? SuperbDemoSistersDemo looks like it goes in the worlds folder, but looking at SuperbDemoSistersKit I have no idea where to put it.
Axon

Post by Axon »

Suggestion: I think grabbing the axe at the end of a castle should make spawned NPCs disappear. That would reduce the chances of dying from a fireball or hammer after you're supposed to have won.
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

Axon wrote:Suggestion: I think grabbing the axe at the end of a castle should make spawned NPCs disappear. That would reduce the chances of dying from a fireball or hammer after you're supposed to have won.
Genius!
On an unrelated note, where do I put the SuperbDemoSistersKit folder in the dev kit? SuperbDemoSistersDemo looks like it goes in the worlds folder, but looking at SuperbDemoSistersKit I have no idea where to put it.
It's a resource tool only. Pull the resources you need from it for your level only. The final product will have everything you need in the right place, but that's a ways off.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

I'm making my level now (I know, I'm slow to start) and Luna DLL isn't working at all. I can still spin jump, I keep reserve powerups and Lakitu flies of the screen (I did paste the lakitu fix lunadll.txt into my level's folder). My level and its folder are inside the SuperbDemoSistersKit folder and I have the latest version of the A2XT devkit (the self-extracting one that included vcredist) and the SuperbDemoSistersKit is inside that folder. Does anyone know why it wouldn't be working?
Kil

Post by Kil »

Does the demo counter show up?
DON'T PM me. Ask your question in the help thread so everyone can be answered.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Yes it does.
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

I think I need some help figuring out the correct LunaDLL process too, since I also have the demo counter showing up (and the item-box disabled on some levels, including my own), but nothing else working. What's the correct file(s) and where should they go exactly?

By the way, I quickly made some gray brick blocks for use in castle levels, hooray:
block-60.gif
block-60.gif (998 Bytes) Viewed 6740 times
effect-21.gif
effect-21.gif (1.05 KiB) Viewed 6740 times
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
Kil

Post by Kil »

The global lunadll.txt file should be in the topmost directory - the one that contains asmbxt.exe and lunadll. I think the problem might be that an old version of lunadll was distributed, and maybe also the .txt isn't in the topmost directory. It might work in a few levels because those people included the global txt as a local script for their level, which is fine but it'd be a lot easier to just make it global.

final version of lunadll: http://www.gamearchaeology.com/LunaDll.dll

Global txt should have this in it

Code: Select all

FilterReservePowerup,0,0,0,0,0,0
PlayerMemSet,0,0x50,0,0,0,w
#END
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly

Post by swirlybomb »

Hmmm... so, my folder hierarchy is like this:

A2MBXT > worlds > Superb Demo Sisters

I have lunadll.dll and lunaglobal.txt in the A2MBXT folder where the a2mbxt.exe also is, and now spin-jumping is disabled, Lakitu doesn't kill himself, and I guess whirlpools are working (not as powerful as Mario 1, but there is still an effect, and debug text appears when in those areas); but reserve powerups still appear in some levels, and shells are still grab-able (or are we just supposed to do that ourselves with npc.txt codes?). So I think now it's mostly working.

I was wondering if the lunaglobal.txt would affect A2MBXT: Episode 1 itself, but I looks like it doesn't. Don't know how that works exactly, but okay!
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

swirlybomb wrote:Hmmm... so, my folder hierarchy is like this:

A2MBXT > worlds > Superb Demo Sisters

I have lunadll.dll and lunaglobal.txt in the A2MBXT folder where the a2mbxt.exe also is, and now spin-jumping is disabled, Lakitu doesn't kill himself, and I guess whirlpools are working (not as powerful as Mario 1, but there is still an effect, and debug text appears when in those areas); but reserve powerups still appear in some levels, and shells are still grab-able (or are we just supposed to do that ourselves with npc.txt codes?). So I think now it's mostly working.

I was wondering if the lunaglobal.txt would affect A2MBXT: Episode 1 itself, but I looks like it doesn't. Don't know how that works exactly, but okay!
It doesn't? Well that is good news. I made a separate installation for SDS on the assumption that lunaglobal would affect both.

And yeah, we really should make shells non-grabable.
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

Unless I'm missing something, making shells un-grabbable is impossible. NPC-flags do nothing, and none of the available LunaDLL code would seem to help (I assume it could be done by adding an event of "releasing the shell," but not sure how to trigger such an event).
Kil

Post by Kil »

Demo can't grab anything at all if you use this, but I haven't tested it extensively

PlayerMemSet,0,+0x154,0xFFFF,0,0,w
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

Kil wrote:Demo can't grab anything at all if you use this, but I haven't tested it extensively

PlayerMemSet,0,+0x154,0xFFFF,0,0,w
I love you. So. Damn. Much.
KingTwelveSixteen
? Title Title Title Title ?

Post by KingTwelveSixteen »

Huh. I was kind of counting on being able to pick up shells to make some of the obstacles in my level easier.

Oh well, people were saying it was to easy for 6-2 anyways. So much for the vine though. :P
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly

Post by swirlybomb »

Update: Actually, it seems that the LunaDLL stuff is only working for levels that have their own lunadll.txt file? I suppose that would explain why it wasn't applying anything to A2MBXT. Not sure if that's how it should be working, or if I still have something amiss.

The can't-grab-anything coding 'works' in all instances I came across; it basically works that Demo grabs the shell for just a moment before kicking it away, so that means shells will always go in whichever direction Demo's facing when she lands on them. Possibly worth noting that holding the run button when touching a shell 'activates' this coding, allowing Demo to fall 'through' the shell to the ground like in all them classic Mario games (1, 3, World), but not holding the run button will make her bounce off the shell instead.
Hopefully that makes sense.
Kil

Post by Kil »

I forgot I changed the global filename to lunaglobal.txt. It should work if you change the filename to that.
Kil

Post by Kil »

swirlybomb wrote:Update: Actually, it seems that the LunaDLL stuff is only working for levels that have their own lunadll.txt file
You were right, that was happening. Fixed: http://www.gamearchaeology.com/LunaDll.dll
Clamestarebla
Clamkind Arch-Highlord

Post by Clamestarebla »

Hey peeps don't forget to go vote on this pool right here: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=14454
Train harder, run faster, be stronger, better, evolution never over.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

I was thinking, and while having lunaglobal.txt saves us all some time in making our own lunadll.txt files, it restricts the game into using a separate installation. As it stands using the same installation for SDS & A2XT means that spinjumping etc. will be disabled in A2XT as well. I think it would be a better idea to not use lunaglobal.txt and just use individual lunadll.txt files so that we can share the installation with A2XT.
Mabel
Just west of wierd
https://marbels.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mabel »

unless theres a way to make lundglobal to the top folder of SDS instead, basically making them on a per episode folder basis...
Image Image
Kil

Post by Kil »

well it's up to you guys to decide that one. it would be nice if the globals worked world folder by world folder but I never found out where smbx stores the path of the current world
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

Personally, I get the feeling that this project and the ASMBXT projects are very different in nature, to the point where it would be almost an odd one out being included in the same menu as the A2MBXT episodes. I don't see a problem with having it as its own thing, separate installation and all.
I don't really get it but okay