(shouting)

Superb Demo Sisters

Grounder

Re: Superb Demo Sisters

Post by Grounder »

DeePay just tends to be a contrarian in general.

Anyway, I say banana snake if you think you can pull it off.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Thought I'd draft up some credits for a credit roll which I'll get onto making. Anyone got any corrections to this list or suggestions?

Spoilered for length:
<SDS Logo>
A Talkhaus Game

Project Manager & Writer
WestonSmith

Demo & Iris Character Design
Samuel Tanguay

Cast (in order of appearance) <Note: these will be accompanied by their sprites>
Demo
Iris
Furbas
Goopas
Venus Fly Head
Paragoopas
Poor Citizen
Catfish
Polyp
Podocat
Bananasnake
Caterpillar
Butterfly
Skull
Bill
Bananasnake King
Calleoca

Level Designers
aterraformer
Axon
cheez8
Clemasterable
Compound Fraxure
Diggertron
Doctor Shemp
Heavy Sigh
Holy
KingTwelveSixteen
Kil
Leet
LitDude42
Luigiman09
Mabel
MonkeyShrapnel
pholtos
QuantumPhysicsMan
swirlybomb
WestonSmith
Zyglrox Odyssey

Beta Testers
Axon
Doctor Shemp
Grounder
KingTwelveSixteen
Kil
swirlybomb
WestonSmith
Zyglrox Odyssey

LunaDLL Design & Programming
Docopoper
Kashkabald
Kil

LunaDLL Implementation
Kil
WestonSmith

Graphic Design <note: this is everyone who contributed graphics to A2XT as I couldn't find a list of who did which sprites, plus Clemasterable & swirlybomb for the Bonus graphics & cover art respectively>
Cadwyn
Clemasterable
darkychao
Demolition
Feenix
Frozelar
Ikalpo
JayScribble
Jolpengammler
Joseph Staleknight
Menshay
Money Man
MrWeirdGuy
Ometeotl
Paralars
SAJewers
Sturg
swirlybomb
Unaniem
Willhart

Music Composers
Avojaifnot
Chrom1um
Demolition
Maiku Wotaharu
SharkNurse
Zach Fankhauser

Sound Design
Kashkabald
Zach Fankhauser

Special Thanks
Andrew Spinks
The raocow.com Admin Team
Shayne Jewers

The Talkhaus are the authors of this video game, except for the purposes of copyright and other laws and the litigious application of same. For those purposes SMWCentral are the authors of this video game.

Any unauthorised duplication, distribution and/or exhibition of this video game may result in us thanking you and/or a pat on the back.

Characters and incidents portrayed and the names herein are fictitious, and any similarity to the name, character or history of any person is entirely coincidental and unintentional. Any similarity to the design of Super Mario Bros. is definitely wholly coincidental and unintentional, we swear. Cross our hearts and hope to die.

No animals were harmed in the making of this game.

The Talkhaus wishes to advise that the enemies depicted in this game, being undocumented species, don’t legally count as animals... yet.

<TALKHAUS LOGO>

THE END
of
SUPERB DEMO SISTERS

DEMO & IRIS WILL RETURN IN
SUPERB DEMO SISTERS 2: DEMO DELIRIUM
Last edited by Doctor Shemp 9 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
KingTwelveSixteen
? Title Title Title Title ?

Post by KingTwelveSixteen »

Doctor Shemp wrote:Thought I'd draft up some credits for a credit roll which I'll get onto making. Anyone got any corrections to this list or suggestions?

Spoilered for length:
<SDS Logo>
A Talkhaus Game

Project Manager & Writer
WestonSmith

Demo & Iris Character Design
Samuel Tanguay

Cast (in order of appearance) <Note: these will be accompanied by their sprites>
Demo
Iris
Furbas
Goopas
Venus Fly Head
Paragoopas
Catfish
Polyp
Podocat
Bananasnake
Caterpillar
Butterfly
Skull
Bill
Bananasnake King
Pily

Level Designers
aterraformer
Axon
cheez8
Clemasterable
Compound Fraxure
Diggertron
Doctor Shemp
Heavy Sigh
Holy
KingTwelveSixteen
Kil
Leet
LitDude42
Luigiman09
Mabel
MonkeyShrapnel
Pholtos
QuantumPhysicsMan
swirlybomb
WestonSmith
Zyglrox Odyssey

Beta Testers
Axon
Doctor Shemp
Grounder
KingTwelveSixteen
Kil
swirlybomb
WestonSmith
Zyglrox Odyssey

LunaDLL Design & Programming
Docopoper
Kashkabald
Kil

LunaDLL Implementation
Kil
WestonSmith

Graphic Design <note: this is everyone who contributed graphics to A2XT as I couldn't find a list of who did which sprites, plus Clemasterable & swirlybomb for the Bonus graphics & cover art respectively>
Cadwyn
Clemasterable
darkychao
Demolition
Feenix
Frozelar
Ikalpo
JayScribble
Jolpengammler
Joseph Staleknight
Menshay
Money Man
MrWeirdGuy
Ometeotl
Paralars
SAJewers
Sturg
swirlybomb
Unaniem
Willhart

Music Composers
Avojaifnot
Chrom1um
Demolition
Maiku Wotaharu
SharkNurse
Zach Fankhauser

Sound Design
Kashkabald
Zach Fankhauser

Special Thanks
Andrew Spinks
The raocow.com Admin Team
Shayne Jewers

The Talkhaus are the authors of this video game, except for the purposes of copyright and other laws and the litigious application of same. For those purposes SMWCentral are the authors of this video game.

Any unauthorised duplication, distribution and/or exhibition of this video game may result in us thanking you and/or a pat on the back.

Characters and incidents portrayed and the names herein are fictitious, and any similarity to the name, character or history of any person is entirely coincidental and unintentional. Any similarity to the design of Super Mario Bros. is definitely wholly coincidental and unintentional, we swear. Cross our hearts and hope to die.

No animals were harmed in the making of this game.

The Talkhaus wishes to advise that the enemies depicted in this game, being undocumented species, don’t legally count as animals... yet.

<TALKHAUS LOGO>

THE END
of
SUPERB DEMO SISTERS

DEMO & IRIS WILL RETURN IN
SUPERB DEMO SISTERS 2: DEMO DELIRIUM
The cast list doesn't include the jumping poor people that are in every castle but the final one.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Added.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Could my name be lowercased? I'd prefer it.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

Do the level intro screens cover up the HUB? Sorry for being nosy but if they do, I might look into how you guys did it and reverse engineer it for my episode
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

TiKi wrote:Do the level intro screens cover up the HUB? Sorry for being nosy but if they do, I might look into how you guys did it and reverse engineer it for my episode
What do you mean? If you're asking how the stages connect, it's much simpler than you think. Every level has a warp to the NEXT intro at the end, and each intro has a warp to the next level. Thus, we never wind up back at the HUB until the final level is finished.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

In regards to Hard Mode, I did a few calculations, and if you increase the speed of all layer movement events by 30%, as I believe the plan is, then you need to reduce the length of the event to 76.92% of its original length to make the layer cover the same distance.

e.g. a layer moving at speed 2 with a 2 second delay between event changes will cover the same ground as a layer moving at speed 2.6 with a 1.5384 second delay between event changes which we would have to round off to 1.5 seconds. It wouldn't be perfect but it would be so near as to be unnoticeable.

I believe the other changes we'd need to make to copy the original are the following:
  • Reduce all moving platforms' width by 30% (15% from each end so that they keep the same centre point)
  • Add an NPC txt file with the flag Speed=1.3 to every NPC
  • Replace all Furbas with Skulls
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

Also, extra fire bars in castles.

Are there any additional changes we'd like to make in Hard Mode? I'm thinking about extending some firebars in the castles as an option. Adding additional Banana Snakes to already existing single/paired Snakes could work too, in certain circumstances (it could get super spammy if not careful). Extra Plants from pipes?
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Both could potentially work but the time you'd need to spend working out what would be good placement and what wouldn't, especially for bananasnakes, doesn't seem to be worth it.

Here's the credits level I've been working on. Currently it uses the a2mbxt.exe titlescreen music which I thought would be a good callback as well as sounding fairly triumphant.
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

The credits(/credits level) are nice!
[ispoiler]can i get *extra credit* for doing the vast majority of the testing? :v[/ispoiler]

So the votes ended up being 1 for Lakitu and 2 for Bananasnake... a landslide victory, clearly. Though I was sketching the Bananasnake out and he kinda looks the same as the King (mouth open with tongue out), and I wasn't sure if that's too repetitious or not (also that would make three characters in the pic with the same body type, including the Goopa), so I don't know if anyone else cares about that or if it's fine.

I'm not sure if the platforms' speed needs to be increased for Hard Mode if they're already smaller than the vanilla game. Probably worth noting that increasing enemies' speed may also 'ruin' some particular setpieces, but it's probably not a big deal. Adding more enemies would require yet more testing, of course.

So, about the "plot"... right now the only anything present is the people in castles 1-7 saying, "Thank you (PLAYER CHARACTER), but our stuff is in another location..."
and at the 8th castle, one says, "Thank you [PLAYER CHARACTER], but Calleoca is in another castle..."
before revealing themself to actually be Calleoca, who says, "Haha, just kidding! Hey sis. It was really me who took all your stuff, I just wanted to mess with you. I hid it all in [POSTGAME INTENSIFIES]"
and that's the end.
Do we want to elaborate on this at all? Even just a two-sentence 'story' to explain why the game's happening or something? (also that 8th guy should probably not say Calleoca's name)
OR another possibility would be leaving that 'joke ending' for the normal game, but having a 'real ending' at the end of Hard Mode? For *extra credit* (at the risk of delaying the game longer...), there could be an ending for each character (they don't have to be long or anything, could just be a quick amusing scene). Does anyone else have any thoughts about this?
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Hey, I did video testing for the whole game, that's something! As for the story, I think we should go with the old-fashioned method of including a text file (or even full-fledged manual if we were prepared to go to the effort of that) with all the background material in that and out of the game. Actually I could do the text for the manual in the style of SMB's manual if someone could compile it together with some images like your cover art and enemy sprites.
Clamestarebla
Clamkind Arch-Highlord

Post by Clamestarebla »

Doctor Shemp wrote:Hey, I did video testing for the whole game, that's something! As for the story, I think we should go with the old-fashioned method of including a text file (or even full-fledged manual if we were prepared to go to the effort of that) with all the background material in that and out of the game. Actually I could do the text for the manual in the style of SMB's manual if someone could compile it together with some images like your cover art and enemy sprites.
I
Train harder, run faster, be stronger, better, evolution never over.
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

I'm all for a "manual" of sorts. I don't mind helping with it, but probably won't have the necessary time until late July. I just looked at the NES manual for SMB, and I'm in love with the picture showing the journey from 1-1 to 1-4 (showing a cohesive journey). Very cool.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Draft of the manual (without any images).

EDIT: Updated to fix some errors caused by the conversion to .rtf that I missed and because in the original version I forgot about DreCalleoca in the Helpful Things section.
Last edited by Doctor Shemp 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
KingTwelveSixteen

I liked it.
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly

Post by swirlybomb »

Doctor Shemp wrote:Hey, I did video testing for the whole game, that's something!
I don't aim to discredit yourself or anyone else that's also done testing, of course. Just making a jab at how I tested basically every version of everything and... yeah. Not that I'm trying to brag or anything, as much as that probably sounds like it...
You probably already knew that, but I felt like I should say it anyway >.>
The manual does its job, of course, but I think it plays itself too 'straight' and doesn't have any 'personality' like it probably should (aside from the enemy descriptions)? And perhaps over-explaining things that it may not need to. The text at the end of the credits is humorous, so I'd expect the 'manual' to be humorous to some degree too. If you can manage, at least. The formatting seems all messed up, but I'm not sure if that's an issue on my end or not.
Also due to SMBX's engine, enemies don't have varying point values like SMB1 did; aside from Bananasnakes (800) and the Bananasnake King (8000), all enemies will give 100 (and then ascend in value when killed in succession, of course).

I have a flat-colors version of the cover art at the moment, just need to shade everything now; though colors could still be adjusted (as well as sizes and positioning, since everything's on different layers). Ended up doing both the Bananasnake and the Butterfly (and Caterpillar). Any feedback or suggestions/recommendations would be great, if anyone has any.
SDScoverColor-flat.png
SDScoverColor-flat.png (247.08 KiB) Viewed 6373 times
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

Can't you use the "score" flag to change an enemy's score?
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

TiKi wrote:Can't you use the "score" flag to change an enemy's score?
Yep:
0 give 0 points
1 gives 10 points
2 gives 100 points
3 gives 200 points
4 gives 400 points
5 gives 800 points
6 gives 1000 points
7 gives 2000 points
8 gives 4000 points
9 gives 8000 points
10 gives a 1up
11 gives a 2up
12 gives a 3up
13 gives a 5up (anything higher than 13 will produce a 5up as well.)
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly

Post by swirlybomb »

oh right

but

probably not something worth dealing with unless everyone wants it?
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly

Post by swirlybomb »

(will need to right-click > View Image for full res)

Any changes/improvements I could make? I'm not totally satisfied because Demo's position in space seems unclear, but I'm not sure how to make it better.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

You could move her shadow circle up some?

It looks pretty good regardless, though. Nice work. :)
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly

Post by swirlybomb »

ummm

I think this slightly-tweaked version looks a bit better??
Last edited by swirlybomb 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
KingTwelveSixteen

Neat!