(shouting)

Superb Demo Sisters

swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Re: Superb Demo Sisters

Post by swirlybomb »

Pretty solid! Though I suppose it is the same general text as the first version, but it 'feels' better somehow. I personally think the extensive use of "kill/die" might be unfitting, but I'm pretty sure the original SMB1 did the same thing. Might want to include "It's possible to run over small pits" in the 'Running' segment? It doesn't come up often, but maybe enough that it's worth drawing attention to it.

I'd like to recommend including the actual logo/title in there somewhere; if not on the front page (because my art takes up the whole page), then perhaps above the Table of Contents?
npc-1.gif
npc-1.gif (4.35 KiB) Viewed 7430 times
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

swirlybomb wrote:Pretty solid! Though I suppose it is the same general text as the first version, but it 'feels' better somehow. I personally think the extensive use of "kill/die" might be unfitting, but I'm pretty sure the original SMB1 did the same thing. Might want to include "It's possible to run over small pits" in the 'Running' segment? It doesn't come up often, but maybe enough that it's worth drawing attention to it.

I'd like to recommend including the actual logo/title in there somewhere; if not on the front page (because my art takes up the whole page), then perhaps above the Table of Contents?
npc-1.gif
Yeah, I"ll include the logo and that tip about running. The original SMB1 manual says kill and die a hell of a lot. The whole "never say die on Nintendo" thing really didn't kick in until the late NES era. I think it's important to include killing and dying in the SMB manual at least. SMB is fundamentally a fairytale in the "save the princess" vein, and fairytales are meant to have some sort of point about how to live in them, which requires them to be grounded in consequences. That's why Grimm fairytales are better and the modern bowdlerizations come across as overly saccharine and unpleasant. If there's no consequences to success or failure, why even try? So I kept them for the SDS manual for that reason.

EDIT: If you think about it, the point of villains in fairytales, which I'd consider SMB to be, is largely to be evil and then be killed by the hero, with the moral being that evil is punished. If the villain doesn't demonstrate that they're evil, and if the villain doesn't die in the end, then that moral doesn't work. You could have a different one instead but then it wouldn't be a fairytale.
Last edited by Doctor Shemp 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

What is Mario other than a grim tale of politics and their consequences?

a miserable pile of warp zones
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly

Post by swirlybomb »

Just possibly worth noting, apparently the Japanese version of SMB's manual just refers to enemies as being 'defeated' and stuff while it was the English version that added all the 'kill/die' stuff. So take that how you will...?

It's fine either way, of course, I just want the choice of words to be 'fitting'.
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
Zia Satazaki
Floof Incarnate
Pronouns: she/they

Post by Zia Satazaki »

That would probably amount to Japanese vocabulary more than anything, to my understanding.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Doctor Shemp wrote:Yeah, I"ll include the logo and that tip about running.
Finally did this. Same link as before, just updated.
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

Yes, this is dumb. Yes, it took way more time than it should have. No, I'm not thrilled with the final product.

But this is a thing now anyways.

MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

this is perfect
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

And here's my take:

CornFlakes

Post by CornFlakes »

If only that was in Japanese...anyways is it really coming out onthe 27th? Man, I can't wait for Rao to lp this...
Clamestarebla
Clamkind Arch-Highlord

Post by Clamestarebla »

I CAN'T CHOOSE WHICH ONE I PREFER
Train harder, run faster, be stronger, better, evolution never over.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

This would be the very first (non-joke) Talkhaus side-game to get finished, wouldn't it? I'm really happy about that. It gives hope that we can actually finish more things.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly

Post by swirlybomb »

Slight error: the footage of 3-1 in Shemp's video has grassy ground instead of snowy ground. Could pretend it's "authentic early-build footage" though (like how SMB3 had a beta level screenshot on the back of the box)? Or something.

...Considering raocow's comment of "oh hey, I didn't realise it was nearly done!" on Shemp's video, I can't help but wonder if he actually plans to LP it or not. Maybe as a B-side thing...?
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's a virtually un-LP-able game and trying it is a fool's errand. It's very raceable though, and I definitely encourage people to race it. I know 8flight doesn't need the encouragement to try speedrunning it, but other people should get into that. That seems to me to be the best way to play SDS for the internet.
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly

Post by swirlybomb »

I gotta agree