(shouting)

Superb Demo Sisters

WestonSmith
Bunny

Superb Demo Sisters

Post by WestonSmith »

Superb Demo Sisters Level Submissions End February 28th March 9th!

Rules and Regulations
Rules and Regulations
1) You must follow the level theme as agreed upon when selecting your level (Overworld, Underground, etc.) Only use graphics provided either in the kit or the program. Snow levels WILL feature ice physics.
2) If may NOT utilize an obstacle earlier than it appears on the Level List. However, once something HAS been introduced, you may utilize it as much as you want (even if the original SMB1 level did not feature the obstacle).
3) Please stick to the music featured in the A2MBXT kit. All levels will be combed through later to ensure a consistent music selection, so don’t sweat it too much.
4) Please keep your level small. Like, no longer than a minute. Something between 6 to 12 screens seems appropriate for the most part (but by no means is 12 the limit). Use your best judgement in setting your levels length.
5) The only power up available will be the Fire Flower. Do not place other power ups in your levels.
6) Please avoid coin or 1up spamming. The original SMB1 was fairly conservative about handing lives out; use discretion.
7) Don’t be OVERLY challenging. Remember that all levels must be completed in one go; getting stuck on a level for 10+ lives would be super annoying.
8) Please PM me all finished levels. I suggest having your fellow Talkhausers playtest your level first. Peer review is the best review. Use the appropiate thread for level testing.
9) Don’t feel constrained! Yes, we’re putting a lot of rules in place, but there IS wiggle room. We aren’t re-creating the original SMB1, we’re just mimicking it. Have fun!

Superb Demo Sisters Demo Kit

Last Updated February 2nd - Corrected Blank Levels

Please NOTE: The kit now includes blank levels. These blank levels have built in exits. If you want to avoid adding an exit to your level, use these levels as your base and simply build LEFT rather than right. One level is for levels with NO LOOPING EVENTS. One is for levels WITH LOOPING EVENTS. One is for Castle Levels. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO USE THESE! THEY ARE SIMPLY TOOLS TO HELP YOU OUT!
Last edited by WestonSmith 10 years ago, edited 10 times in total.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Re: Super Demo Sisters (or something of that sort)

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Sure, I'd be interested. Remember that Level 3s are more often cloud/athletic levels than underwater levels though.
tigermoon
Location: Is crazy a location? If so, I've been here for ages. :3

Post by tigermoon »

I guess this means no raocows, Sheaths or Koods? Toad, Peach and especially Link were absent from SMB1, so I'd imagine they aren't usable...

Anyway, I'm up for taking part in this if it happens.
... You're biting off more than you can chew again...
Nonsense! I can totally handle this.
WARNING: User is known for stupid ideas. Listen at your own risk.
... I prefer the one where you compare yourself to gremlins...
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

Doctor Shemp wrote:Sure, I'd be interested. Remember that Level 3s are more often cloud/athletic levels than underwater levels though.
It would be a direct correlation. So if 2-3 in the original was athletic, then whoever did 2-3 in this one would also do athletic. The goal would be to avoid a situation where Member A decideds they want to desgn an Athletic level for 1-2, and Member B decides they ALSO want to design an athletic level for 1-3, and Member C decides they ALSO ALSO want to design an athletic level for 1-4. Directly correlating the original level theme to your level will maintain the level variety present in the original game and avoid having to tell members to scrap or change their levels after putting time into them.
tigermoon wrote:I guess this means no raocows, Sheaths or Koods? Toad, Peach and especially Link were absent from SMB1, so I'd imagine they aren't usable...
Right you are sir!
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

I'm not sure 32 level from 32 people is that feasible of a goal. Having 32 interested is one thing, but having every one come through is a completely different thing. There might be a limit on the number of levels someone can do, but one level shouldn't be that limit.

We might consider having world 0 a parody glitch levels, or a world 9 if it can be consistent with the theme.

If it's successful, the sequel could go to D like SMB2(japanense version).
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Multiple levels should be fine.

If we're going for full authenticity, then I presume we're having "No Turn Back" on and the player goes straight from one level to the next with no world map. If that's the case, I can see how World 9 might work (put it at the end) but not how World 0 would start. Maybe separate episodes? Not sure if Warp Zones are doable in SMBX either. This, however, will prove useful:
Kil wrote:If you put this in lunadll.txt for every level, spinjump will just do a normal jump

Code: Select all

PlayerMemSet,0,0x50,0,0,0,w
#END
From the LunaDLL help thread in the A2MBXT subforum.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

Doctor Shemp wrote:Multiple levels should be fine.
I can see how World 9 might work (put it at the end) but not how World 0 would start. Maybe separate episodes? Not sure if Warp Zones are doable in SMBX either.
The player would have to "perform a glitch." It could be just one level, and it should be very well hidden.

I don't know anything about how one level to a next gimmicks work. Dying in a hub game brings you back to the hub, but Koopa Reign of Terror was just one level after another.
Last edited by Septentrion Pleiades 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Septentrion Pleiades wrote:
Doctor Shemp wrote:Multiple levels should be fine.
I can see how World 9 might work (put it at the end) but not how World 0 would start. Maybe separate episodes? Not sure if Warp Zones are doable in SMBX either.
The player would have to "perform a glitch." I could be just one level, and it should be very well hidden.

I don't know anything about how one level to a next gimmicks work. Dying in a hub game brings you back to the hub, but Koopa Reign of Terrow was just one level after another.
I'm pretty sure it's a world map option to disable the map and have a SMB1/SMB2-type progression. I think I remember reading it in the manual once.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

This sounds great but then we'll have like seven collabs

Hopefully the whole "very quick production time" thing can be stuck to
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Clamestarebla
Clamkind Arch-Highlord

Post by Clamestarebla »

I would love to join this! The gimmick is interesting and since school is restarting soon, it'd give me something to do in my free time.
Train harder, run faster, be stronger, better, evolution never over.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

From reading the manual, "No World Map" is an option, though it doesn't explain clearly exactly how it works. However, apparently it then makes the episode behave like the original Super Mario Bros in that getting a Game Over sends you back to the start of the game. Provided we stick to something approaching the original game's difficulty though that shouldn't be an issue.

Also Sep's World 9 idea could follow on from a Hard Mode if we decide to implement that like the original had. For those who don't know, in Hard Mode every Goomba becomes a Buzzy Beetle, all enemies walk faster, elevator platforms are about 2/3 of their original size and castles have more firebars.
Clamestarebla
Clamkind Arch-Highlord

Post by Clamestarebla »

Not sure if Warp Zones are doable in SMBX either.
Isn't there a ''Warp to level...'' fonction in Warps? Maybe we could work something around that.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Clemasterable wrote:
Not sure if Warp Zones are doable in SMBX either.
Isn't there a ''Warp to level...'' fonction in Warps? Maybe we could work something around that.
I'm pretty sure thats what is used for hub systems, so when you die in the level you warp to you restart from the level you entered it. but there are probably some magyk things you can do with it that i dont know about to counteract this.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Clamestarebla
Clamkind Arch-Highlord

Post by Clamestarebla »

You're right I tested it but it works like a hub. Maybe if you make a cryptic selection of options it works but so far I've got nothing.

Actually if under the world editer settings you check ''Auto Restart Last Level on Death'' It actually works. But you don't get to see the little black screen with the amount of lives remaining in between. But hey, something works!
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

Woah! Glad to see there is some interest here. Figured this would be dead out of the water.
Septentrion Pleiades wrote:I'm not sure 32 level from 32 people is that feasible of a goal. Having 32 interested is one thing, but having every one come through is a completely different thing. There might be a limit on the number of levels someone can do, but one level shouldn't be that limit.

We might consider having world 0 a parody glitch levels, or a world 9 if it can be consistent with the theme.

If it's successful, the sequel could go to D like SMB2(japanense version).
Yes, it is lofty. An obvious alternative would be to have a much smaller team, say 8 people, and they could be responsible for overseeing each of the worlds. If they wanted to farm out a level to another member, that would be their problem. Also, World 0 is a must.
Doctor Shemp wrote:If we're going for full authenticity, then I presume we're having "No Turn Back" on and the player goes straight from one level to the next with no world map. If that's the case, I can see how World 9 might work (put it at the end) but not how World 0 would start. Maybe separate episodes? Not sure if Warp Zones are doable in SMBX either. This, however, will prove useful:
Kil wrote:If you put this in lunadll.txt for every level, spinjump will just do a normal jump

Code: Select all

PlayerMemSet,0,0x50,0,0,0,w
#END
From the LunaDLL help thread in the A2MBXT subforum.
Yes, we'd be using no turn back. Linking levels together is extremely easy in SMBX. Just put an offscreen pipe exit after a roulette or tape exit, and Mario will warp to the next level.

Oh, and when did that luna code come to be? I could have used that in one of my A2MBXT levels!
Septentrion Pleiades wrote:I don't know anything about how one level to a next gimmicks work. Dying in a hub game brings you back to the hub, but Koopa Reign of Terror was just one level after another.
If by "gimmick" you mean things like events and layers, the answer is to simply trigger events by killing NPCs. The NPCs would be on an unused screen, sitting directly above lava. When the level starts, they die, and the events begin. This is a workaround for not using auto-start (which fails to activate if a player dies once).

I'm not too worried about the technical details on this one. I've worked on a similar setup before (an incomplete copy is hidden away on Knux's forums), so compiling the levels and setting up warps won't be an issue. I'll be sure to produce some tutorials showing what would be required by contributors before this thing gets off the ground. I already have some demo levels ready to go, just need time to record and upload them.

My major concern will be ensuring some standard of consistency across multiple contributors. So we'll have to iron out the guidelines before we get started.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Bwarch »

Hey yo if you guys want a subforum drop me a line and I'll get things set up.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

One way around a shortfall of contributors would be to clone levels and make them harder. The original game did this: 5-3 is just 1-3 but with a Bullet Bill generator, for example.

If you're wanting a difficulty guideline, here's all the enemies and hazards from SMB1 along with the level in which they first appear:

Blooper (swimming): 2-2
Bowser (doesn't throw hammers): 1-4
Bowser (throws hammers): 8-4
Bullet Bill Generator: 5-3
Bullet Bill Launcher: 5-1
Buzzy Beetle: 4-2
Cheep Cheep (jumping): 2-3
Cheep Cheep (swimming): 2-2
Goomba: 1-1
Firebar: 1-4
Hammer Bro: 3-1
Koopa Troopa: 1-1
Lakitu: 4-1
Maze path: 4-4
Paratroopa: 1-3
Platform (elevator): 1-2
Platform (falling): 3-3
Platform (moving): 1-3
Pipe maze: 8-4
Podoboo: 2-4
Piranha Plant: 1-2
Single-block jumps: 8-1
Spiny: 4-1
Springboard: 2-1
Last edited by Doctor Shemp 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

Oh hey this looks cool. Short and fun levels that don't over-focus on custom graphics are exactly the kind of levels I want to get used to making. This shouldn't take too long, either, so it's even better~ You can count me in for sure (and also count on me to actually produce things within a reasonable timeframe for once!)
Leet wrote:This sounds great but then we'll have like seven collabs

Hopefully the whole "very quick production time" thing can be stuck to
As long as we're sticking to the "SMB1 tribute with little to no frills" idea, there really shouldn't be much of anything to bog this down.
Doctor Shemp wrote:Blooper (mid-air): 5-2
...Are you serious?
(Also, good idea listing single-block jumps in that difficulty breakdown.)
I don't really get it but okay
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

That difficulty list is extremely helpful. But I don't think SMBX supports flying bloopers, does it?
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

cheez8 wrote:
Doctor Shemp wrote:Blooper (mid-air): 5-2
...Are you serious?
(Also, good idea listing single-block jumps in that difficulty breakdown.)
Yeah, disregard that, I misread the source and didn't notice the underwater part. This isn't from my own memory.
EDIT: They didn't appear until SMB2 (Japan) 1-3, for anyone who's curious.
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

...Huh. I'm just surprised that there were flying bloopers in the first place, no matter where they showed up.
I don't really get it but okay
Axon

Post by Axon »

I would be glad to make a level for this.
Holy

Post by Holy »

I would definitely like to contribute to this!
How is the music gonna be done? I would assume we'd use the exact music from SMB? Or only the default music that comes with the A2MBXT devkit?
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

cheez8 wrote:...Huh. I'm just surprised that there were flying bloopers in the first place, no matter where they showed up.
Super Mario Bros 2 Japan (aka the Lost Levels) is responsible for inventing a lot of annoying things, e.g. flying bloopers, poison mushrooms, invisible block traps, forwards wind, backwards wind (both only affect you when you jump however), warp pipes that send you backwards in the level, warp zones that send you back whole worlds, etc.

As for the music, how about sticking to the music the devkit has under the Super Mario Bros. tab as appropriate, e.g. overworld for overworld etc.? That way we can really show off the work of the people who contributed to those tracks (SharkNurse, Demolition & Avojaifnot) and other people's work if we do sequels based on SMB2 etc.
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

Doctor Shemp wrote:
As for the music, how about sticking to the music the devkit has under the Super Mario Bros. tab as appropriate, e.g. overworld for overworld etc.? That way we can really show off the work of the people who contributed to those tracks (SharkNurse, Demolition & Avojaifnot) and other people's work if we do sequels based on SMB2 etc.
Agreed, except we may want bonus room music (ala the Lost Levels). I'd suggest the current Desert song under the SM64 tab.