tangy
🍊
Pronouns: any

SDS2: Devkit / Level submissions / Level testing AKA "The Thread"

Post by tangy »

DOWNLOAD THE DEVKIT - v0.2

VIEW THE CLAIM SPREADSHEET

GET SMBX (b4.4.1)

This thread only concerns main-game levels. Later I might make threads for Extra levels and possibly worlds 9-D if the interest is there.

SIGNING UP: Just make a post here like “I want to make 1-2” and I’ll add you to the signup sheet. Include your discord name so I can bug you if your level is outstanding.

POSTING A WIP LEVEL: Post it in the thread here. I’ll mark you as ‘WIP’ on the signup sheet. Feel free to critique other users’ levels! The more opinions the merrier.

POSTING A COMPLETE LEVEL: Post it in the thread here, but do something to indicate that you think your level is complete

Your level's filename should be your level's number followed by your name, e.g. 1-1-tangy.lvlx

Signups close whenever I feel like it
So progress is going at a leisurely enough pace that I feel like there shouldn't be any sort of deadline right now

WHAT'S IN THE DEVKIT
The devkit contains:
-Graphics, sounds, and a limited selection of music from the a2xt2 repo
-Several modified and additional NPCs*
-Two blank ‘template’ levels with only exits- one regular and one castle.

*I’ve procured a bunch of extra stuff from the SMBX forum and edited some base-game things to add a multitude of options for creators.
Here are some of these things in action:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND
The vibe I’m going for is along the lines of SMB2J / SMB Special. Consult level maps from those games for inspiration:
https://nesmaps.com/maps/SuperMarioBrot ... ers2j.html
https://www.vgmaps.com/Atlas/X1/index.htm

These guidelines are for main-game levels:

1) Please stick to SMB1 blocks and whatever NPCs are in the ‘custom’ tab. Please don’t add custom assets of your own. This is a very big constraint, but I want creators to be creative with the limited amount of items they have at their disposal. Custom graphics need justification, and custom lua is EXTREMELY discouraged and will probably lead to your level being immediately denied.
2) Theme guidelines and enemy guidelines are deliberately loose. No hard rules, other than common sense: For example, it wouldn’t be fair to open up 1-2 with the hardest enemies in the game.
3) HOWEVER: If you’re the first person to make a level for a world, you can call dibs on that world’s theme. Themes don’t have to match up, even if you choose to follow someone else’s dibs: there are lots of exceptions in the original games too!
4) Keep it a little challenging, but do be aware that the player is coming in with limited lives. Don’t make any unreactable obstacles, for example.
5) Keep levels moderately short. Checkpoints are there to give you wiggle room with regards to length, but levels should take roughly a minute on a run where the player doesn’t min-max coins or score. If your level contains a bonus room, that bonus room should have a checkpoint in it that spawns the player at that bonus room’s exit - This is to prevent excessive life minmaxing.
6) Give your level a time limit. Each tick on the timer is one real second. In most cases timers should start at either 250 or 200, equivalent to 400 or 300 “mario” seconds respectively.
7) Be conservative with coins and 1ups. A good rough maximum for coins is around 75 or so, but I got to this number purely on vibes only. In my opinion, if your levels have any 1ups, they should be before any checkpoints, to prevent life minmaxing.
8) Please only include fire flowers, and test as though the biggest powerup the player is coming in with is a fire flower.
9) Test your level as all five characters. Demo and Iris are obviously the most important, but Rao, Kood, and Sheath are still accessible via cheats.
10) Try not to worry too hard about setting your level up for Deadly Mode. I still haven’t fully nailed down the process yet. We can discuss what deadly mode entails on the main thread for now.
CLUSTERFUCK PREVENTION AGREEMENT
Please don’t submit any levels for this project if you’re not 100% on board with your level being edited or excluded from the project without your permission or knowledge. I WILL TRY MY BEST TO REACH YOU, but if you can’t be reached or put up a communication barrier, I WILL go on without you. You have been warned.

Happy level make!
Last edited by tangy 8 months ago, edited 4 times in total.
raocow wrote:I am being shot at, and I am being advertised petrol at the same time. We must be in America.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: SDS2: Devkit / Level submissions / Level testing

Post by KobaBeach »

give me 2-1 brother, i say despite wanting to do at least one castle section for aat.

expect it to be trash, even if i did know lua it'd still be hot garbage, but hey you dont need lua in this collab nor is it really wanted so It Doesn't Matter it's all trash coming from me, but i'll still try to make something fun. im just saying Don't Expect Good Shit From Me because im garbage with expectations

you know my discord but i dont feel comfortable having it in the open and i don't have @usernames yet. is there anyway i can make it comfortable for you to cum-tact me but also not have spambots try sending me random bullshit

Semper Games
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
tangy
🍊

Post by tangy »

KobaBeach wrote: 10 months ago discord
honestly its just for the lone straggler who is neither on spotzone nor discordhaus, because i dont wanna use talkhaus pms to be honest. Added
raocow wrote:I am being shot at, and I am being advertised petrol at the same time. We must be in America.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

tangy wrote: 10 months ago honestly its just for the lone straggler who is neither on spotzone nor discordhaus, because i dont wanna use talkhaus pms to be honest. Added
Yeah but just in case! I'm working a bit on the level but I'm not 100% sure of it. I'm not gonna discard it entirely but I am gonna drop it here a few times for feedback, look forward 2 it.

I kinda made a sort of central mechanic but I don't really like it, so I may just leave it unfocused because I don't wanna make a new beginning and SMB1&2j levels didn't really care about central themes to that extent as much as they help prop up a dull Mario level, that's only like SMB3 onwards (the NSMBs too but they do it really poorly).
Image Image
tangy
🍊

Post by tangy »

Honestly my standards for level quality are quite low despite the huge list of rules. Don't feel too pressured to make something immaculate
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

zhang fei.png
zhang fei.png (8.14 KiB) Viewed 22833 times
Image Image
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

Well, I feel like I have no choice but to request 6-1 once again, it's been a while, so I hope I don't disappoint.

You should already know who I am on discord, but it's the same as here.
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

I kinda wanna make something for this, but I can't be bothered to work on my aat castle section, so idk
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Catabo
:3
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Catabo »

I'm interested in making at least one level. I won't claim anything until i've actually started making something or the sheet starts filling up.
camwoodstock
raocow play floigan brothers on dreamcast
First name: Cam & Tori
Pronouns: her/him

Post by camwoodstock »

give us 2-3 stat. Camwoodstock & Tori, we can DM the discord but we're active enough on spotzone so you can probs just find us there
"dingus prime, the alpha and omega of utter spoons"
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

I'll take one of the ?-3 levels. Dunno which one yet, but one of those. :P

Guess I'll do 6-3 like with the original SDS.

Wait 6-3 has no mushrooms, maybe I'll do 7-3 instead. That's much more mushroomy. :P

Heck I'll take 3-3 too. Make two mushroom levels. Though only if it remains open.
Last edited by pholtos 10 months ago, edited 5 times in total.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
camwoodstock
raocow play floigan brothers on dreamcast
First name: Cam & Tori
Pronouns: her/him

Post by camwoodstock »

we um. we went feral. we evidently really had the urge to make a "smb:lost levels/smbspecial level but fucked up" stewing in our subconscious when we saw the aforementioned little teasers of everything being made. what makes us say this?

...uh. we already finished the first draft of our level. we tested it with all 5 characters (demo/iris and the 3 available via cheats) and with both fire flower/small, level's beatable in all contexts. it might be a bit short, but also it is still on the first quarter of the game (2-3, to be technical)?

the zip should contain the level data, just put it in the /SuperbDemoSisters2 folder with the other levels.

to kinda explain our design philosophy:
so like, a trend of the x-3 levels are a focus on athetics, right? those weird bulky pineapple-ish platforms, bridges, etc., and in both smb1 and smb:lost levels, 2-3 is specifically a bridge level with fish generators.

we did not want to add a fish generator.

okay, so, like, we are making a bridge level. we figured nobody else would be up to it, so why not? but now we are making a bridge level without fish. what does that... look like? we thought a good answer would be a mesh of goopas and the fighter fly analogues, with a few interspliced piranha plant challenges to boot. very "dodge centric" but not too intense. there's a not-very-well-hidden mushroom (becomes a fire flower!) at the start and a hidden bee (for bonuses) if you need the help, but realistically, you should be fine if you're just good with the controls by this point.
Attachments
2-3-camwoodstock-and-tori.zip
(5.38 KiB) Downloaded 258 times
"dingus prime, the alpha and omega of utter spoons"
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

im just ripping off 2-1 from 2j so dont worry

bridj
Image Image
tangy
🍊

Post by tangy »

playing through 2-3 now
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

First draft complete!

At first, I mostly just had Red Piranha Plant set-ups scattered through the level,
but ended up making a sorta "Red" themed level, still with a focus on Plants,
but also including a lot of Red Goopas, Caterpillars, and a pair of Red Bloopers in the sub-world.

I took some inspiration from from the original 6-1 in SMB2J, but mostly tried to keep things original.

I wasn't sure, so I just kept the same look from SDS 1 for the water section.

Feel free to offer thoughts and critiques, and let me know if there's anything wrong with what I've done.

Edit: Made several changes as per Tangy's suggestions

Edit 2: Added secret bee and extra bush
Attachments
SDS 2 - MonkeyShrapnel - 6-1 Rev3.rar
(8.82 KiB) Downloaded 240 times
Last edited by MonkeyShrapnel 9 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
tangy
🍊

Post by tangy »

New update for the devkit. Copy this file into your worlds folder in the same place as the original and hit yes when it asks you to replace files

https://www.mediafire.com/file/77n1twdn ... 2.zip/file

This fixes the exit template so that it actually triggers game events properly, adds the starman powerup to the 'regular guys' tileset, adds a custom song for the starman, and reduces the starman's timer from 13 seconds to 10.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

will update soon. im kind of in a falcom rpg funk these days + tenerezza, kh2, mana 3 (trials)

wrt the latter three, action rpgs just own
Image Image
tangy
🍊

Post by tangy »

Not gonna be able to look at the thread or update the spreadsheet for the next several days; sorry for the inconvenience
tangy
🍊

Post by tangy »

several days have passed and i am now able to look at the spreadsheet again
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

might work on this :soon:

Image Image
tangy
🍊

Post by tangy »

PSI Ninja wrote: 9 months ago I'll take both 4-2 and 8-2.
Added
Raptarr8

Post by Raptarr8 »

I'll take 1-2 for now. Something simple to start off with. I might claim another level later down the road if I feel like it, but I'm gonna take it one level at a time.
I'd hope you know my discord since I pinged you about this less than an hour ago lol (Raptarr8#3045)
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

Ah what the heck, I'll take 3-2, might as well repeat the mistakes of my past.

Mabel
Just west of wierd
https://marbels.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mabel »

i'd like 6-4

:)
Image Image