(shouting)

Locations?

Let EVERY ship sail!
Aposke
Banned

Re: Locations?

Post by Aposke »

Sounds like a good idea to list those, Horikawa. Once we got a few locations that most people agree with, we can start building a general storyline around that. I'll just quote the things I really like and add some ideas of my own.
Horikawa Otane wrote:For Everyone:
  • Hot Springs
  • Beach (Pretty sure there's no beaches around Montreal (not any usable ones, anyways))
  • Pool (I'd prefer Hot Springs over this, honestly, and having both seems kind of redundant)
  • School
    • Classroom
    • Hallways
  • Restaurant
  • Cafe
  • Outdoors
  • Park
  • Movie Theatre
Unique Locations for Horikawa Otane:
  • Library
  • Office
  • Theatre
    • backstage
    • audience
  • Arcade (I used to play A LOT of dancing games back in the day. It could be my totally unprofessional embarassing secret passion or something)
Unique Locations for Leet:

Unique Locations for Rikun:
  • Karaoke bar?
  • Pharmacy shop where she works
Unique Locations for Grim:

Any other suggestions for either general or specific?
Also, as a general idea, let's try to keep the number of character-specific (unshared) scenes around 6 at max. If we're going to have 8 routes, that'll already be 48 scenes for all character paths (and that's a LOT of drawing, if we're gonna go with drawn backgrounds)!
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Montreal has beaches on the St-Lawrence bank. Pretty sure the Mont-Royal park also has usable lakes and stuff. Of course it's not ocean-like beaches but still !!

Aposke
Banned

Post by Aposke »

Jesuiscontent wrote:Montreal has beaches on the St-Lawrence bank. Pretty sure the Mont-Royal park also has usable lakes and stuff. Of course it's not ocean-like beaches but still !!
I stand corrected, then.
Part of me is just wondering why Horikawa wants so many... well, bathing-suit scenes in there.
Aposke
Banned

Post by Aposke »

Horikawa Otane wrote:
Aposke wrote:
Jesuiscontent wrote:Montreal has beaches on the St-Lawrence bank. Pretty sure the Mont-Royal park also has usable lakes and stuff. Of course it's not ocean-like beaches but still !!
I stand corrected, then.
Part of me is just wondering why Horikawa wants so many... well, bathing-suit scenes in there.
I don't specifically. Or in general haha. I was thinking "What are the most typical places for this sort of game?".

Also I was thinking of "how can we maximise costumes?" For example, with the current list, I think I'd only need three or four costumes total.
Please, don't think about maximizing anything at this stage. We're desperately low on contributors, even with 3 character artists. This project will require a lot of work at the current scope already, and frankly, I think we should just aim for quality over quantity right now. We can always add more scenes later once we have the basic story done, but that has priority.
There's a reason why ~75% of all visual novel project out there fail horribly (and it's overzealous planning).
Aposke
Banned

Post by Aposke »

Oh, nevermind then. If you think about it like that, I really like that idea, actually.
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

Chiming in to say, while I don't know of many places to add, I do like the locations so far. Especially the library because I really like libraries.

On a semi-related note, what exactly does "unique locations" mean? I mean, let's go with the library for example. There are two parts of this that I don't really understand. On the "main character point of view" side, would they be unable to visit the library at all unless they're on your route, or would they be able to visit the library whenever they want but your route is the only one where doing so would advance the plot, or something else? Also, on the "other characters" side... Would you be the only character to appear in the library, or would you be the only datable character to appear but side characters could still be there, or would anybody at all be able to appear there but it's just that this area would be more or less associated with you?

Sorry if these are stupid and long questions to ask but I still don't really know how visual novels usually work, and I was also about to request showing up working in the library but then I thought maybe that wouldn't be how it works or something so I figured I'd ask first.
I don't really get it but okay
TheVulpineHero1
Party hazard fiesta mix

Post by TheVulpineHero1 »

I went to work today and thought about making this very thread. This kind of thing is super important, at least from a writing standpoint -- we need to make sure the settings we're writing about actually match with the stuff from the artists, as well as making sure we fit the context of the story and don't write the characters on the moon or something.

So, my ideas about this so far:

School Locations:
- In terms of classrooms and hallways, we could probably get away with having only one major 'stock' classroom which the main character goes to, and then any other incidental classrooms being connected with unique characters (i.e. for Horikawa, her lecture theatre might be a unique classroom associated with her in storyline terms). Depending on how much goes on at the school in terms of plot, we may need the following sublocations:
-Hallways. Having the same on all the time will seem wooden if we're going to have conversations in them; consider maybe two or three, connected in a very basic design plan.
-Cafeteria, maybe. Probably non-essential.
-Common or dorm facilities (maybe one hallway and the MC's room as stock, with slight decor variations depending on gender or something).
-School grounds
-Roof if using. Possibly non-essential
-Any other locations, such as club rooms or whatever

Hot Springs:
Maybe two or three screens here might suffice, aside from character focused art. Will provide a sense of movement and ability for characters to converse when not immersed in boiling water. Possibly want changing facilities, although I'm honestly not sure how hot springs work.

Beach:
What is 'beach'? Sand and ocean. Bare minimum number of screens we'll need is probably two. If we have a boulevard or boardwalk, more.

Pool (maybe redundant?):
Possibly get away with one screen here, although more might be preferable. Pools are like tennis courts, in that they are a place of doing and not seeing a lot of the time.

Town/City:
Restaurant + Cafe: To my untrained eyes, these seem like one or two screen areas to me. Wide shot showing the establishment, tight shot showing a table -- bish, bash, and indeed, bosh.

Outdoors: We may want to have locale shots to reinforce the ideas of a city setting and to allow interaction whilst in transit. Roads, bridges, buildings, that kind of stuff.

Park: Parks are green and have trees; possibly, they have variations of trees and even playground equipment depending on the size and nature of the park. Still, a simple area to depict; we probably need no more than two or three screens here, depending on what's to occur in-story.

Movie Theatre: Ticket office, theatre screen, random hallways/food booths, maybe the film reel room... thing.

As for the unique char locations, I'll jump off that bridge when we come to it. Seems fairly in order to me.
Broken image, apparently
Broken image
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

Front of Hakurei Shrine.
Stairs to the underworld or w/e it's called.
Eientei
On a desk, where everyone is miniature
That one empty lonely street/alley that noone walks through
Trouble with a capital COW.

<math>\tan{A}\sin{N}</math>
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I don't think you understand what this thing is

fakeedit: Sept already made my point
Last edited by ano0maly 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

nope!
Trouble with a capital COW.

<math>\tan{A}\sin{N}</math>