(shouting)

Character Design Submissions

Let EVERY ship sail!
EvilPear13

Character Design Submissions

Post by EvilPear13 »

Heeeeeeey!

Post all character designs here.

Just a reminder, they should be submitted by February 1st. For more details and character descriptions, see the thread entitled "The 'Who does what?' thread! – Character Design Phase GO! "

Here's my first submission, Horikawa Otane. Please poke and prod my work, I'd love any feedback or design preferences. More is to come.
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (182.66 KiB) Viewed 9128 times
Full resolution
Full resolution
1.1.jpg (404.51 KiB) Viewed 9128 times
Asinine Arcade
which may or may not be a thing
EvilPear13

Re: Character Design Submissions

Post by EvilPear13 »

Okay okay okay okay awesome!!

Great, I'm so happy you're pleased with them. What dress style/colour do you prefer? Or would you like a different style? I'm game for anything.
Asinine Arcade
Aposke
Banned

Post by Aposke »

Horikawa Otane wrote:
EvilPear13 wrote:Okay okay okay okay awesome!!

Great, I'm so happy you're pleased with them. What dress style/colour do you prefer? Or would you like a different style? I'm game for anything.
Though, to be honest, I'd prolly just wear the kimonos while teaching too =P.
This needs to happen.

But yeah, totally loving your rendition of Horikawa there. I'm kinda hoping the other artists will choose another character because I really wanna go with your version from the beginning. Then again, if someone feels they can top this, they're always free to try (I kinda doubt it can be done, though).
EvilPear13

Post by EvilPear13 »

Yaaaaaaaaaaay!
I'm totally open with sharing designs and seeing others' visions! Ahhhh
Asinine Arcade
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

The deadline is the 1st even though the pole for the male characters closes on the 31st? We have a giant 4 four way tie for 3rd place so how will artist who to aim for.

Also, I don't have a clue how someone would draw me. I should post a picture sometime.
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

I have to ask some things about the character design.

Namely, what you guys are doing for people who have non-human author avatars. It's more concerning for me for knowing what you do with the sidecast people who fall under that category, but putting out the general view on it would be nice.

Second, are we able to toss out our own design? I could probably toss out a reference sheet for my little fluffball if we can. If not, and we have to look humanoid, I demand robes. Robes upon robes up robes. Robes so plentiful that my character is basically animated clothes and has a face of only facial features floating in a void of the darkest aether of black.

Robes upon robes upon robes for DOUBLE HOODING x2 ACTION. With a hat too. You can never have enough head coverings.
Aposke
Banned

Post by Aposke »

Horikawa Otane wrote:
XutaWoo wrote:I have to ask some things about the character design.

Namely, what you guys are doing for people who have non-human author avatars. It's more concerning for me for knowing what you do with the sidecast people who fall under that category, but putting out the general view on it would be nice.

Second, are we able to toss out our own design? I could probably toss out a reference sheet for my little fluffball if we can. If not, and we have to look humanoid, I demand robes. Robes upon robes up robes. Robes so plentiful that my character is basically animated clothes and has a face of only facial features floating in a void of the darkest aether of black.

Robes upon robes upon robes for DOUBLE HOODING x2 ACTION. With a hat too. You can never have enough head coverings.
I believe we're aiming for 100% human designs. I know I've provided face shots of me irl for my references.

And I'm not a head of the project or anything, but I think if you are represented at all, your fluffball could be represented as a little plushy thing or something cute (also, I doubt there'd be any problem with supplying your own designs).
Pretty much what she said. Designs for peeps who want to be in the VN are supposed to be 100% humans, although everyone gets their own visual perks and whatnot, of course. How one is represented is largely up to them, although we won't go ahead and make "flawless" characters just because someone doesn't like being represented with negative sides, as well.
Furthermore, not everyone needs to provide face shots like Horikawa did – what I'm imagining is that the path writers lay down a character bio for their character, and then the artists translate that into visuals (kinda how it happened with Horikawa, here). I kind of don't want to be the "sole authority" on how characters are... well, characterized, but what I've tried to do for the bios that are up so far was basically:

- Gather all info I can on the person in question
- Write up a character bio based on that (and a bit of improvisation)
- Wire that to the artist(s) and see what they come up with

In general, I'm envisioning that's how it'd go in general with the artist/writer relationship, but of course everyone's free to make their own arrangements.
Actually, speaking of that, I completely encourage the writers, whether you're already in the project or just interested, to go up to the artists posting in here and asking if they'd be okay with collaborating together on a path. That's usually the most efficient way to handle character path creation and it helps a lot with coordination if we have "pairs" working on one or two paths each.
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

Well, you have my design then. :P

Probably could adapt the furball into the robe design anyway. I've always been a fan of hoods with ears. It'd be fitting, since the fluffball is sexless and robesrobesrobes is about as androgynous as you can get. :P
Deniya

Re: The "Who does what?" thread! – Character Design Phase GO

Post by Deniya »

Here are a few designs I made so far (1 of the characters I haven't done yet because there was already a design made for as I got the idea.)

http://deniya.deviantart.com/art/Talkha ... 1390599784

[Mod edit: Moved here from the "Who does what" thread]
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Re: The "Who does what?" thread! – Character Design Phase GO

Post by Leet »

Deniya wrote:Here are a few designs I made so far (1 of the characters I haven't done yet because there was already a design made for as I got the idea.)

http://deniya.deviantart.com/art/Talkha ... 1390599784

[Mod edit: Moved here from the "Who does what" thread]
!!!!!!

ahhh i look awesome this is awesome you are awesome
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Dizzybelle
Barrel!
First name: (◕ v ◕✿)

Post by Dizzybelle »

Uh... I gave drawing Xuta a shot, but I was too nervous to ask for a reference :cry:
Feel free to critique and offer changes, it's really only a base, just want your opinions. :?
http://i.imgur.com/nB3q2Gt.jpg
ImageImageImage
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

Okay, I love that. :D

You got my eye color down and while my hair's different it shouldn't matter anyway. My fluffball's white, too, and has different ears, but that hood's lovely anyway.

For posterity, though, I can doodle a quicky of my furball so the ears can be changed if you feel up for it.
Dizzybelle
Barrel!

Post by Dizzybelle »

Sure, I really just posted it to get your ideas for changes.
I can happily adjust anything you want me too. :3
PM some sort of reference if you want.
ImageImageImage
Dizzybelle
Barrel!

Post by Dizzybelle »

Alright, I adjusted the ears and colour, tell me what you think of it now.
http://i.imgur.com/X98GWtx.jpg
ImageImageImage
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

Yeah, that looks great!

The ears feel kind of small, but it's still good nonetheless.
Aposke
Banned

Post by Aposke »

Lovin' the fluffball there!
Also, as a general guideline thingy, maybe we could have a certain brush thickness and /or style for outlines? Different styles for different characters isn't that bad in and of itself, but it's kinda offputting if you have a character with smooth, thin outlines (EvilPear's, for example) and next to it, one with thick, more jagged lines.
Not saying I like one style over the other, but it'd be nice to have some basics for the visual design that everyone can agree on.
Dizzybelle
Barrel!

Post by Dizzybelle »

Aposke wrote:Lovin' the fluffball there!
Also, as a general guideline thingy, maybe we could have a certain brush thickness and /or style for outlines? Different styles for different characters isn't that bad in and of itself, but it's kinda offputting if you have a character with smooth, thin outlines (EvilPear's, for example) and next to it, one with thick, more jagged lines.
Not saying I like one style over the other, but it'd be nice to have some basics for the visual design that everyone can agree on.
Yeah, I think it'd be a bit jarring seeing the comparison between mine and Evil's. :/
I can try and work with a finer brush, see how that works out.
ImageImageImage
TheVulpineHero1
Party hazard fiesta mix

Post by TheVulpineHero1 »

Aposke wrote: Actually, speaking of that, I completely encourage the writers, whether you're already in the project or just interested, to go up to the artists posting in here and asking if they'd be okay with collaborating together on a path. That's usually the most efficient way to handle character path creation and it helps a lot with coordination if we have "pairs" working on one or two paths each.
I'm going to echo this. Two words to be remembered: cohesion, and adhesion. If cohesion is pieces of a jigsaw fitting together and forming an understandable and unified whole, then adhesion is gluing a wooden spoon to a coffee cup: sure, they'll go together, and they kind've function, but they're really not part of the same thing and one will always be superfluous in any given situation. No creative person ever wants to feel like their work is just 'stuck on', and no player wants to sit through a game where design elements actively disagree with each other. For posterity, I'm going to say this also extends to the music folks as well: the aural potion of a visual novel is just as important as the visuals and the novel, and needs to go with both.

So, uh, yeah. Gonna be keeping a beady eye on this thread. I'm liking the designs for Otane so far.
Broken image, apparently
Broken image
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

Wow, all the designs so far are extremely radical. 10/10

Uh, I have a concern;
Aposke wrote:Basically, what I'd like to see from both the character artists and the writers are short impressions of the characters listed below. I've written up a short "bio" on 4 of them, and from the artists, I'd like to see a character sketch or two for at least one of them. That doesn't necessarily mean that this will be the person whose route you'll be drawing, as this is just a proof-of-concept thing and a first try at getting some character design going (for that reason, please don't spend a million of hours on your sketch, either – a design impression is enough).
Does this mean it's not possible to be a character artist unless you do some designs first? I'm a lot better at drawing an existing character than making one up from scratch (especially human characters) (and especially since my time before Feb 1st is limited), so although I wouldn't mind possibly being an artist (though I'm not sure if I could quite match EvilPear/Deniya's level of quality...), I'm just... yeah. I dunno.
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
Aposke
Banned

Post by Aposke »

swirlybomb wrote:Wow, all the designs so far are extremely radical. 10/10

Uh, I have a concern;
Aposke wrote:Basically, what I'd like to see from both the character artists and the writers are short impressions of the characters listed below. I've written up a short "bio" on 4 of them, and from the artists, I'd like to see a character sketch or two for at least one of them. That doesn't necessarily mean that this will be the person whose route you'll be drawing, as this is just a proof-of-concept thing and a first try at getting some character design going (for that reason, please don't spend a million of hours on your sketch, either – a design impression is enough).
Does this mean it's not possible to be a character artist unless you do some designs first? I'm a lot better at drawing an existing character than making one up from scratch (especially human characters) (and especially since my time before Feb 1st is limited), so although I wouldn't mind possibly being an artist (though I'm not sure if I could quite match EvilPear/Deniya's level of quality...), I'm just... yeah. I dunno.
Well, we can always have copy-artists who just basically try to copy someone's style and thus make the workload less for both. Especially good for longer paths – so yeah, that's totally possible too!
EvilPear13

Post by EvilPear13 »

I actually had a thought: Maybe the character artists should work more like studio artists, as in one artist draws and inks for two characters, and another colours for said characters? Or maybe we could have one specified colourist for consistency's sake?
Asinine Arcade
Dizzybelle
Barrel!

Post by Dizzybelle »

I gave drawing Rao and Rikun a shot, but they pale in comparison to Deniya.
http://i.imgur.com/EvfN824.jpg
I feel kinda out gunned. :c
EvilPear13 wrote:I actually had a thought: Maybe the character artists should work more like studio artists, as in one artist draws and inks for two characters, and another colours for said characters? Or maybe we could have one specified colourist for consistency's sake?
That's a really good idea, but I dunno how we'd go about organizing it.
ImageImageImage
Dizzybelle
Barrel!

Post by Dizzybelle »

The bio said
His dark secret is that he has a cat in his room even though dorm policies include a ban on pets.
Whether or not it's Gaston is up to the time-travel police.
ImageImageImage
Aposke
Banned

Post by Aposke »

bkamakaze wrote:I gave drawing Rao and Rikun a shot, but they pale in comparison to Deniya.
http://i.imgur.com/EvfN824.jpg
I feel kinda out gunned. :c
Not gonna lie, I really like how both of them look, though!
I especially like their clothes. raocow in slippers and coat looks just as crazy as I'd imagine him to be, and Rikun's attire looks more interesting than what she's wearing in Deniya's sketch, IMHO.
bkamakaze wrote:
EvilPear13 wrote:I actually had a thought: Maybe the character artists should work more like studio artists, as in one artist draws and inks for two characters, and another colours for said characters? Or maybe we could have one specified colourist for consistency's sake?
That's a really good idea, but I dunno how we'd go about organizing it.
I like that idea too. You guys can organize yourself in any way you want, but most of us are on Skype right now, so if you send me a friend request (ap0ske), I can add you as well and you can discuss more about that!