(shouting)

General suggestions thread

Let EVERY ship sail!
GrimDarkening

Re: General suggestions thread

Post by GrimDarkening »

Aposke, if the idea of playing as a talkhaus'er makes it's way into the final game, what'll be THEIR backstory then?
Aposke
Banned

Post by Aposke »

GrimDarkening wrote:Aposke, if the idea of playing as a talkhaus'er makes it's way into the final game, what'll be THEIR backstory then?
Eh? I thought the vast majority was for a self-insert player character.
Either way, that setting pretty much works with any type of character. Why would it be different just because the PC is already a talkhauser in the real world? (I mean I don't know if you noticed but this place isn't a student dorm, either.)
GrimDarkening

Post by GrimDarkening »

(I'll go delete that post good points you two)
A pun using the word 8flight
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Bwarch »

Isn't the entire point that the dating sim will be one big injoke.

I mean really what else is it going to be.

And if it's about the recency of the injoke you're going to have a hard time with that because any injoke made recently people will have grown tired of by the time the game is made.

Just admit it, the game is being made along a it's-so-bad-it's-good line of thought. If you don't get in intending to have fun with that line of thinking I think the project will have a bad time.
Aposke
Banned

Post by Aposke »

Bwarch wrote:Isn't the entire point that the dating sim will be one big injoke.

I mean really what else is it going to be.

And if it's about the recency of the injoke you're going to have a hard time with that because any injoke made recently people will have grown tired of by the time the game is made.

Just admit it, the game is being made along a it's-so-bad-it's-good line of thought. If you don't get in intending to have fun with that line of thinking I think the project will have a bad time.
The problem is, you wanna be able to understand the in-jokes if you're part of the Talkhaus.
I can guarantee you 100% that neither you nor anybody else will understand the Grimdarkening/8flight Injokes those two keep making and bringing everywhere they go.
I want this game to be fun and stupid too, but I want it to be fun for the player, especially.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

Aposke wrote: The problem is, you wanna be able to understand the in-jokes if you're part of the Talkhaus.
I can guarantee you 100% that neither you nor anybody else will understand the Grimdarkening/8flight Injokes those two keep making and bringing everywhere they go.
Agreed, if it's just something Grim/Flight bring around that only they get then sure, but most of Grim's list I understood.

Meh.
Aposke
Banned

Post by Aposke »

alex2 wrote:I just don't like in-jokes in games.
Well maybe that's just you, dude.

REGARDLESS

Does anyone else have ideas for the setup? Septentrion mentioned something about the VN taking place in a puppethouse on Skype, but he hasn't really said anything concrete about it so far.
Holy

Post by Holy »

They all show up for a talkhaus get-together in canada, then are trapped by a giant snowstorm and forced to stay in some podunk canadian town and suffer each other's presences.
GrimDarkening

Post by GrimDarkening »

If we make it so that the scenario is that all the characters are used to it, wouldn't it be possible to have selectable backgrounds, to get pretty much any area?
If needed, it can probably have a short backstory for each "location"
GrimDarkening

Post by GrimDarkening »

"Can we have select able backgrounds so the player can have the scenario they want"
Aposke
Banned

Post by Aposke »

Horikawa Otane wrote:
GrimDarkening wrote:"Can we have select able backgrounds so the player can have the scenario they want"
Won't that negatively impact the script writers? What if we want to write events where, for example, you take raocow out to the local Poutine joint?
Ignore that post, she has no idea how Visual Novels work. I'm sorry.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

Aposke wrote:
Horikawa Otane wrote:
GrimDarkening wrote:"Can we have select able backgrounds so the player can have the scenario they want"
Won't that negatively impact the script writers? What if we want to write events where, for example, you take raocow out to the local Poutine joint?
Ignore that post, she has no idea how Visual Novels work. I'm sorry.
I honestly don't know which one you are referring to, but I suspect it's Grim.

When this first started, I expected this to be created by a bunch of people who didn't know how visual novels work. I'm in favor of whatever gets this game developed, so I agree with Horikawa's point.
GrimDarkening

Post by GrimDarkening »

Agreed please ignore those posts
I forgot what happens in what
(This won't happen again hopefully)
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

Horikawa Otane wrote:I think if we're going to go with that sort of parody aspect, the ideal place would be some sort of school setting, personally. Maybe in Quebec. Dress our dating sim up to the nines in the most typical locations they tend to use (I could be the parody tsundere teacher dating option). Maybe go on a field trip to the hot springs or something as well. I mean, there's tons of options.
I've heard good things about Quebec's abundant natural hot springs, let me tell ya.

...Not to say we should be strictly limited to reality- I just think it's funny that the parody nature we're going for could cause nearby hot springs in areas which clearly should not have hot springs. I consider that a point in favor of a hot springs scenario more than anything, though.

(Also I do like Aposke's setup and figured now that other people are saying it I can say it too)
I don't really get it but okay
GrimDarkening

Post by GrimDarkening »

Will the VN be incredibly difficult and have it so that any mistake will really screw your chances?
So reactions like that would be decently common?
(Aposke told me to use me imagination so I didn't consult a ref)
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

Okay, I think at this point it's important for somebody to set a precedent and set everybody who will be working on the thing homework. If you have not played a VN, as Grim and I and perhaps others have presumably not, then we should probably get on that so we know what we're doing.

What VN(s) should we play through to fully understand the concept of a VN?

P.S. I like Aposke's scenario and I think if we set a poll that would win, so we should roll with that scenario post haste.
GrimDarkening

Post by GrimDarkening »

Aposke has mentioned Clannad as a good example
Kinda
Aposke
Banned

Post by Aposke »

GrimDarkening wrote:Aposke has mentioned Clannad as a good example
Kinda
Clannad is freaking long (and kinda slow-paced), but it's pretty much THE best example of a modern japanese visual novel. Note however that it was made in its own engine and by a professional company.
For a really good western visual novel, you could check out Katawa Shoujo. It showcases the capabilities of RenPy pretty well and is also shorter and more fast-paced than Clannad.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

Septentrion Pleiades wrote:I expected this to be created by a bunch of people who didn't know how visual novels work.
I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing. This was based off of a joke but presented somewhat of an awesome concept by itself.

I might look into a fan touhou dating sim or something. Yeah there are professional VNs, but a Talkhaus VN without humor is no Talkhaus thing at all.

Edit: just don't get caught up with being like the other ones.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Bartle wrote:General suggestion: actually ask people for permission to use their likenesses

nobody had any idea until anomaly told us about it; myself, Redsy and Wareng want nothing to do with this and don't want to be used in it.
I apologize for that tongue-in-cheek suggestion of you that I made in that locked thread
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
GrimDarkening

Post by GrimDarkening »

Your issue with me getting digital concepts is
You're either going to get bad linework, because I don't have a tablet, or a picture of my art on paper.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

KobaBeach wrote:Moral of the story: Never listen to Koba.
Wait, we should know this one by now, shouldn't we?

That aside, I'll try writing up a little intro scene during this week. I'm hoping Grim will get some actual digital character concepts done as well.
If you want to help (and we really need help, especially in the arts department), take a look at this thread and maybe sign up!
okay what the fuck just happened here

did aposke(?)'s post just glitch onto mine
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

He is right though. We should maybe make a thread specifically for saying "I'm alright with being in this game"

Maybe a request and answer kind of thing like if anybody wants anybody to be in the game they're like "I request so and so be in the game" and then if they want to the requested person is all like "Yeah sure, sounds fun."
Dan

Post by Dan »

alex2 wrote:
Bartle wrote:General suggestion: actually ask people for permission to use their likenesses

nobody had any idea until anomaly told us about it; myself, Redsy and Wareng want nothing to do with this and don't want to be used in it.
This does not surprise me at all. God forbid you people even associate with Talkhaus anymore.
Can you blame us

It's not about the forums. Remember when Cobalt was writing erotic pokemon fanfic and shipping people without permission/against their wishes? Same thing here, but with less pokemon
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

Wareng wrote:Can you blame us

It's not about the forums. Remember when Cobalt was writing erotic pokemon fanfic and shipping people without permission/against their wishes? Same thing here, but with less pokemon
Well, by the time Bartle posted, you all fell out of consideration. The only one who really has reason to be upset is Redsy, who some people were persistent with.