(shouting)

General suggestions thread

Let EVERY ship sail!
GrimDarkening

Re: General suggestions thread

Post by GrimDarkening »

Nothing wrong with your post, but the content of your post seems to fit more as a suggestion, so I'll use this thread for general suggestions and ideas.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

Hmm, the previous thread was moved to the Graveyard. I might as well put some useful things from other places to here.

http://www.renpy.org/

Also a list of characters I come up with.
Septentrion Pleiades wrote:Bartle: College kid who is a self proclaimed polymath.
Argumentable: jerk on the forum, nice in real life(see his LPs)
Alex: Character development happened
Kobabeach: weeaboo(should age him up)
Me: Partially insane vetern. I'm told I'm creative a lot

Rikun: She's RIkun.
Grim: Creator of the game, Grim might know more about this person than me.
Horikawa Otane: Smart, theater lover.
redsy - normal girl
raocow is sort of a given, and their really isn't a need to discribe his personality here. He probably will be unlock.
People with a lot of posts or videos showing personality would be easier to base a character on.
Mabel
Just west of wierd
https://marbels.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mabel »

what is this i dont even.

I wonder who the main characters will be? Generic OC's maybe?
also are you guys planning on doing this VN style?
Image Image
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

Mabel wrote:what is this i dont even.

I wonder who the main characters will be? Generic OC's maybe?
also are you guys planning on doing this VN style?
I was under the impression that the player would insert their name and be the main character, so the main character would be the character we don't develop. Basically self inserts. Maybe I'm making too many assumptions about the genre.

This would allow a talkhauser who plays the game to be Xtalkhausered with any character in the game. Pairing won't technically happen until actual playthroughs instead of in development.

As for the style, I think it's safe to say it would be talkhaus styled.
Aposke
Banned

Post by Aposke »

I'll be reposting my suggestion of a list of dateable characters here too, since this seems to be the centralized place for actual game discussion now.
Aposke wrote:Male
raocow - Disorganized with a jumpy manner of speech. Nothing too exaggerated, but basically a believable character built upon raocow's internet persona.
[AoD] - Shy, reserved, but really loving once he's warmed up to you.
Argumentable - What Sep said
Cup - "10/10 would marry" guy

Female
RikunFrances - Enormous fangirl. Her room's full of yaoi posters and she makes weird references nobody gets.
Rena - Kuudere. Is later revealed to literally be god.
Redsy - Token loli, always happy and upbeat, loves art and tea.
Horikawa Otane - The anti-weeaboo – she has an honest fascination about japanese culture and history and is incredibly helpful to the people she likes (but secretly hates everyone else).
Also, about the playable character – that depends on how seriously we take this, really. Self-inserts would be the standard solution, but Grim has talked about making the Male/Female route star raocow/Rikun as the player character respectively. I like that idea especially from the raocow perspective since I figure it'd be a fun setting to think up (for example raocow getting frustrated with his single life and deciding to go find love in his own forum).
Maiku Wotaharu
Karaoke Enthusiast and Honorary Armless Bipedal Cycloptic Demon
First name: You'll figure it out.

Post by Maiku Wotaharu »

There must be a side adventure to a karaoke bar!

(I only say that so Aposke, Sturg, and I can have cameos...)
The best part of waking up is...knowing where you are.

FINALLY, SOME MOSTS USERBARS!
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Aposke wrote:Rena - Kuudere. Is later revealed to literally be god.
I am okay with this

I'd rather be a side-character rather than dateable, really
I feel rather unconfortable regarding stuff like this
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Unaniem
Desperately trying to figure out just what the hell
First name: Tree

Post by Unaniem »

Just here to mention I'm still willing to do art crap if desired such.
(Also "Thank you"s to everybody who gave a compliment in the other thread I'm gonna practice more backgrounds now <3)
GrimDarkening

Post by GrimDarkening »

Do you think there should be different dialouge options for each playable character?

I mean, chances are, Rikun and raocow/whoever the guy is going to be are going to talk differently, and get different reactions.

I would say yes, but if the options are locked, it may as well be funnier in some situations.

What do you all think?
PichuVSLink

Post by PichuVSLink »

DaaAAaahh why am I here… too… young 'n stuff… excuses…
No but this is actually going to be cool. Well, it'd have to be ridiculous and never really 'serious', but it's still a good idea.

I would suggest to put myself in but I'm way too new here and no one really has much to draw on from me as far as personality goes. I think that it would be funny, however, if I had a cameo as someone's pet pichu. Like on someone else's path (probably Rikun's because of her fangirlish nature) I could just be their pet or something.

I dunno. I'm gonna stop pretending like I'm important to this at all.
EDIT: NINJA'D
patchoulis obtained

"graphics: 9/10, come on, it's CUSTOM!" -smwc hack review
Aposke
Banned

Post by Aposke »

Horikawa Otane wrote:
GrimDarkening wrote:Do you think there should be different dialouge options for each playable character?

I mean, chances are, Rikun and raocow/whoever the guy is going to be are going to talk differently, and get different reactions.

I would say yes, but if the options are locked, it may as well be funnier in some situations.

What do you all think?
I thought the general suggestion was to have the protagonist be some faceless man or woman and have Rikun, raocow, etc. be pursuable characters?
Yeah, I think Grim should give her opinion on that. I'm fine either way, really, but I think that if we're going to have an "anonymous" player character, we should have both a female and a male version who each behave a little differently (since we're probably going to have at least a near-equal amount of dateable males and females).

Basically, what I'm thinking of is something of a selection screen at the beginning of the VN that goes

"Are you a boy or a girl?"
-> If boy then male = true
-> If girl then female = true

"Do you like boys or girls?"
-> If boys goto male_chars_path
-> If girls goto female_chars_path

If that's a theme that everyone can agree on, we just need to vote on whether we want the players to play as insert-chars or raocow/Rikun.
PichuVSLink

Post by PichuVSLink »

I think that it should have an insert character. Having raocow dating random talkhaus peeps would be funny and all, but it ruins the magic of "holy crap I'm dating ______ all my dreams have come true".
Of course if your dreams are pairing a talkhauser with a talkhauser, that's fine too.
patchoulis obtained

"graphics: 9/10, come on, it's CUSTOM!" -smwc hack review
tigermoon
Location: Is crazy a location? If so, I've been here for ages. :3

Post by tigermoon »

Aposke wrote:Basically, what I'm thinking of is something of a selection screen at the beginning of the VN that goes

If that's a theme that everyone can agree on, we just need to vote on whether we want the players to play as insert-chars or raocow/Rikun.
  1. We need someone dressed like Professor Oak to ask those questions.
  2. If we actually do the second one, I'm not sure if we can use anything other than OCs. :lol:
WARNING: User is known for stupid ideas. Listen at your own risk.
... I prefer the one where you compare yourself to gremlins...
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Bwarch »

Aposke wrote: Basically, what I'm thinking of is something of a selection screen at the beginning of the VN that goes

Yes to this, this is really good.
Aposke wrote: If that's a theme that everyone can agree on, we just need to vote on whether we want the players to play as insert-chars or raocow/Rikun.
Insert chars I would say personally. But yes, we need Grim's opinion methinks.
Unaniem

Post by Unaniem »

Should we have a special bisexual path as well ("Q: Do you like boys or girls A: Both"), or is that just looking far too into something terribly silly at this point?
Aposke
Banned

Post by Aposke »

Unaniem wrote:Should we have a special bisexual path as well ("Q: Do you like boys or girls A: Both"), or is that just looking far too into something terribly silly at this point?
Well, think about how we'd have to write/code this. It's already going to be 2 pretty much heavily different paths (i.e. following mostly the girls' or the guys' stories) and we'd have to either fuse them together somehow or write a completely different path for a path where you can date "everyone" or "anyone", not to mention this would already be possible since both main genders ARE already dateable.
Unaniem

Post by Unaniem »

Aposke wrote:words
Yeah, I can see where you're coming from.
Maybe I'm being too influenced by Tumblr where everything has to be 100% bisexual friendly 100% of the time and somebody deciding at the start which gender they want to date wouldn't be as such, dohoho.
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

Holy crap. I haven't even seen anything about this and suddenly there's a whole dating sim subforum out of nowhere, ready to be filled. Um... Okay.

Don't mind me, I'm just kind of bewildered but uhhhh I guess you have my support. And also my permission to use me if you need some sort of side character doing something like digging large holes or playing video games or what have you. I probably would not be the most interesting choice for a relationship option, to be perfectly frank.

And I'll also probably be following and/or involving myself in this subforum more than I'd like to admit
I don't really get it but okay
PlatinumTriforce
Professional Profanity Practitioner
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by PlatinumTriforce »

Holy crap, in my short time of a year at the Talkhaus, I have seen so many jokes about things like this (like someone saying "thistalkhauserXthattalkhauser") and now it is an actual literal thing.

Everything I know is now a lie.

Also this does legitimately seem interesting so while I can't really help out with programming and such I may have an idea from time to time.
peteyboo wrote:Platinum vs. raocow vs. myself triple battle at the same time

48 hours straight of Hyper VII. Whoever beats it first wins!
I love it.

GrimDarkening

Post by GrimDarkening »

Bwarch wrote:
Aposke wrote: Basically, what I'm thinking of is something of a selection screen at the beginning of the VN that goes

Yes to this, this is really good.
Aposke wrote: If that's a theme that everyone can agree on, we just need to vote on whether we want the players to play as insert-chars or raocow/Rikun.
Insert chars I would say personally. But yes, we need Grim's opinion methinks.
I'm not against the use of having a character creator and what not, but I think it would be nice to have the option of having the ability to play as a talkhaus'er, along with the former. I'm stupid with programming, which you can see with my adventure thread, so if it's not practical to be able to do both (Custom chars and selectable), I think popular vote should tell what should be done.
alex2 wrote:
Aposke wrote:
Unaniem wrote:Should we have a special bisexual path as well ("Q: Do you like boys or girls A: Both"), or is that just looking far too into something terribly silly at this point?
Well, think about how we'd have to write/code this. It's already going to be 2 pretty much heavily different paths (i.e. following mostly the girls' or the guys' stories) and we'd have to either fuse them together somehow or write a completely different path for a path where you can date "everyone" or "anyone", not to mention this would already be possible since both main genders ARE already dateable.
I haven't personally looked over the way this engine's API is set up, but I can all but guarantee that you're making it sound more complicated than it actually is. It certainly isn't going to be a five-minute job, but count your blessings is there's only two paths--two branches is easymode game design.
On the topic of this, I think it would be easier to just have a gender option, along with an "other" (Non binary). I don't see why it would be so difficult to play the game and just date the people you wold be interested in.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

Aposke wrote:M

[AoD] shy? That's like the very opposite of him from every post he ever made. He mostly seems indifferent to the talkhaus, which isn't shyness. He tends to be very obscene as well. At most, I can see him as a side character in roacow's story.

It's funny to see you describing Cup as that. I'm not even sure what you mean story wise like that.

also, my opinion about Redsy is the same as it was before.

Also, I noticed one change in your "reposted" list
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

alex2 wrote:Easiest? No. The easiest way would be to not even factoring in sexuality at all so that any character can be "woo'd" by any gender anyway. That would alleviate the inevitable need to pick and choose NPC sexualities.
I argee. Is there is a person that can't imagine themselves as their actual(or prefered) sex? It would mostly be more restricted if we actually based something on a player gender flag.
Aposke
Banned

Post by Aposke »

Septentrion Pleiades wrote:
Aposke wrote:M

[AoD] shy? That's like the very opposite of him from every post he ever made. He mostly seems indifferent to the talkhaus, which isn't shyness. He tends to be very obscene as well. At most, I can see him as a side character in roacow's story.

It's funny to see you describing Cup as that. I'm not even sure what you mean story wise like that.

also, my opinion about Redsy is the same as it was before.

Also, I noticed one change in your "reposted" list
My opinion of AoD stems mostly from his Super Mario World LP that he did once. In those videos (which rao co-commentated), he is very clumsy and appears insecure, which leads him to die a million times. Throughout the whole LP, raocow seems like the slightly demanding, straight-forward teacher while AoD just helplessly flails around (this is, I suspect, also the reason why Rikun portrayed AoD as the submissive part of the yaoi relationship she fantasized up in 2011).

As for Cup, I added him to the list mostly because most people in the gazebo know his face and he has this kinda "joke reputation" as being very dateable.

Good job pointing out the change, by the way! Congratulations on seeing that?
Horikawa Otane wrote:Wouldn't it be easiest from a coding perspective to have a gender on the player character object and then sexual status on the NPC character object?

Ie, if someone is bisexual (like me), then it is possible to woo them from either PC, but if they're straight, they can only be woo'd from the other.

Then various him/her, etc. could be replaced depending on the gender marker on the player character object. As long as we avoid sex, which I'd think we'd want to anyway, it should be more or less okay.
That's actually an interesting idea. I don't think the story's gonna include all 8 characters at once, so it might be easiest to just go with a one-story setup for all characters.

...Actually, that is way better than my suggestion. I really think we should go with this now.
Edit: To clarify, I meant going with alex2's "no sexuality status on anything, just (slightly) different paths per person depending on if the Player is male or female"
Mabel
Just west of wierd
https://marbels.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mabel »

alex2 wrote:Easiest? No. The easiest way would be to not even factoring in sexuality at all so that any character can be "woo'd" by any gender anyway. That would alleviate the inevitable need to pick and choose NPC sexualities.
this.
Image Image
Aposke
Banned

Post by Aposke »

Another thing we'll need to find out: What will the setting be?

Personally, I was thinking something along the lines of the infamous "Student Dorm" setting, where everyone goes to the same university and they all live in the same dormitory building that they jokingly call the "Haus".
The Player would be a new student who's switched from a tiny community college into the big uni and now needs to get friendly with the inhabitants of the Haus. There, he eventually falls in love with one of them and the rest is individual paths.
Oh, and raocow would be the constantly stressed and confused but really loveable liberal arts teacher who runs around in a lab coat for some reason.

Edit: Ohey, Grim, just a tip? Don't get too in-jokey. This is supposed to be a TALKHAUS Visual Novel, not a SKYPEHAUS one.