(shouting)

[Mafia] Talkhaus Invasion and Ice Cream Game Thread - GAME OVER! Invaders win!

Damn, it feels good to be a gangster.
Hoeloe
A2XT person
Pronouns: she/her

[Mafia] Talkhaus Invasion and Ice Cream Game Thread - GAME OVER! Invaders win!

Post by Hoeloe »

It was a regular Tuesday on the Talkhaus. Banter was being thrown back and forth from all corners, and our favourite Canadian friend was once again complaining about his stupid horse. In short, it was a fine day for the Talkhausers. But in the depths of the forum, something was stirring. Angered at all the joy and fun, the dregs of the online world rose to take the Talkhaus, and turn it into a wretched hive of scum and villainy. They met behind closed doors, and plotted their attack.

And in the dark, they waited...

Welcome to...
TALKHAUS INVASION
(And Ice Cream)
There was a scream, and the sound of running footsteps.

"Help! He's been..."

Users gathered around the horrible remains of raocow's account. His lifeless face was locked in a terrible grin. "He's been... trolled to death."
Muttering started among the group.
"This could have been any of us!" shouted Willhart.
"What are we going to do? They're among us!" Mikkofier began to panic...

There was the sound of a hammer being struck three times against the ground, and silence fell again.
Hoeloe's avatar stood there, the holy ban-hammer in hand.
"There's only one thing to be done." Hoeloe began, "We must work together to determine who we can trust, and remove those we can't."
Muttering started again.
"I can dispatch the one you choose, but it's up to you to decide who is guilty. Remember, the future of the Talkhaus relies on it. Good luck."
And with that, Hoeloe walked away.

"Well," said 8flight, "I guess we're going to have to vote..."

Dawn of the First Day
  • FluffiMasta - User - Hacked Night 3
  • pholtos - Hacker - Survived!
  • Mikkofier - Hacker - Banned Mysteriously Night 4
  • KobaBeach - Troll - Banned Day 5
  • Vergalon - User - Banned Day 2
  • 8flight - User - Banned Day 3
  • Window Squeegee - Troll converted to Hacker - Trolled Night 5
  • raekuul - Spoiler Tagger - Hacked Night 1
  • sedron - Post Mover - Hacked Night 2
  • Whimsical Calamari - User - Banned Day 6
  • Elgadika - Hacker - Survived!
  • bkamakaze - Troll - Survived!
  • Falky - Moderator - Hacked Night 5
  • Holy - Spellchecker - Trolled Night 4
  • TheVulpineHero1 - Password Resetter - Trolled Night 1
  • Sturg - Webhost - Trolled Night 3
  • Willhart - Troll - (Redirect) Trolled Night 2
RULES
  • Each day, all active players can vote for one other player to "ban" at the end of the day.
  • The player with the most votes will be banned. In the event of a tie (or a winning vote of "no-one"), no-one will be banned.
  • Powers can be activated by PMing me at any point during the day, before the voting cap is posted.
  • Powers will take effect the night after they are activated.
  • Keep in mind that powers may not apply if the targets have already been banned.
  • Attacking players are attempting to ban all defending players, and vice versa.
  • A "vote cap" will be posted shortly before the end of each day. Votes made after the vote cap will not be counted.
  • Votes should be formatted like this:
    VOTE: Hoeloe
  • Voting for "No-one" will put your vote towards not banning anyone that night.
  • You may change your vote by using the following format:
    UNVOTE: Hoeloe
    VOTE: No-one
  • This thread is for players of the game only. Use the discussion thread (link below) if you are not an active player.
Discussion Thread: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=15403

I think that's everything. Good luck everyone, and have fun!
Last edited by Hoeloe 9 years ago, edited 6 times in total.
TheVulpineHero1
Party hazard fiesta mix

Re: [Mafia] Talkhaus Invasion and Ice Cream Game Thread

Post by TheVulpineHero1 »

Anarchy! The great Helix demands it!

In other news, because the kill from the first night wasn't actually a role associated with the game, we've nothing to go on. Similarly, since there's no roles list, we have no idea who or what is out there, or how many of them are. This might be an oversight, but perhaps not; I think that a number one priority for townhausers is to make sure information is shared and examined so we can know, roughly, what roles are opposing us.

Otherwise, this is just your typical day one -- no info, so it's random or d1 scumhunts.

This post abridged from fifteen pages by VulpineHero Industries™
Broken image, apparently
Broken image
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

It is certainly a lot different from the previous games I've seen played here. I don't really know what to do in this situation. The first day should end 24 hours from now, so there is time to talk.
Falky
Space Mountain, Real World's Champion, WOOOOO etc
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Falky »

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure how this'll work if we don't know the numbers or roles.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota

Post by raekuul »

vote: Falky

There, I kickstarted discussion.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander

Post by Sorel »

FluffiMasta stood up from his bed.
What is with all this commotion out there...?
He went outside of the Gazebo to the Let's play forum, only to see the account of the one-and-only raocow lying on the ground. Dead, no doubt about it.
How could this happen?
On the other side, Hoeloe was standing with their ban-hammer, the only one of the talkhaus.
"Hey, do you know what happened here?" Fluffi asked.
"Apparently, raocows account was trolled to death by an unknown group of users."
So that explains the smile he has. "Do we have any evidence or something like that?"
"I'm afraid there is no evidence."
"K then, thanks for your help."
Suddenly, as Fluffi was about to leave the scene of crime, raekuul said something.

"I vote for Falky."

"You really think there is a point in randomly banning someone without any idea who the trollers could be?" Fluffi said.
"We should wait and see if something will happen. That way we can deduce who the trollers might be. A better plan than yours, don't you agree?"
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
TheVulpineHero1
Party hazard fiesta mix

I can't really bandwagon that one with a clear conscience; I know Falky's a good player, so voting him out d1 based on a bandwagon would really just be me metagaming and attempting to get him out of the game in case he provided good maf plays. I'm not really prepared to do that since it's a dick move.

An RL as a play isn't an entirely bad idea, but I'm wary of the fact that Hoeloe runs things a little differently than we're used to. A question for the OP, just to be clear (quoting the discussion thread both to make sure players are up to date and to ping you):
Hoeloe wrote:
As there seems to be some concern in the game thread, I'm putting this here:

It seems the way I play Mafia on forums is slightly different from what most people are used to. I tend to not tell people the roles that are available, and what their abilities are. I find this produces a much more interesting mid-game, when people start working out what's going on, and I've found it leads to a more entertaining game as a result. I will of course inform players when a team has been wiped out and the game ended, and roles will be revealed when players are banned. From that, it's possible to at least estimate the number of remaining members of each team.

However, as some have noticed, the first day does usually end up a bit more difficult than usual because of this. Remember, you can always vote for no-one to be banned at the end of the day if you're not sure.
When you say 'roles will be revealed when players are banned', does this include people killed/voted by scum in the night phase or just people voted out in the daytime? This may be important, since the answer will determine how effective RLs are at info gather for roles. If we gain no information from a maf kill, it may be best to RL as default since without info, town is helpless.
Broken image, apparently
Broken image
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

TheVulpineHero1 wrote: When you say 'roles will be revealed when players are banned', does this include people killed/voted by scum in the night phase or just people voted out in the daytime? This may be important, since the answer will determine how effective RLs are at info gather for roles. If we gain no information from a maf kill, it may be best to RL as default since without info, town is helpless.
Any time a player is taken out of play, their role will be revealed, regardless of when or why it occurred. Information can be gathered by voting someone out, or by letting the attacking players take them out.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

The general idea behind running a day 1 random lynch is the fact that, because we didn't have a Night 0 phase, we literally have only reactions to work with at this point. The town stands the chance of gaining a scum lynch if we do any sort of lynching on day 1, but there will always be a kill on night 1 to counterbalance any gains we may make due to random chance.

It's too bad we can't view just one person's posts in a thread like on The Grey Labyrinth. Reading a player's iso (isolated posts) is very helpful.
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

VOTE: Falky
There has not been any night actions yet though, so people like the Oracle, and those that can give abilities to others have not had time to work yet. There might not be any of those roles in this game though, and I don't think they are really that common.
Last edited by Willhart 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Falky

Post by Falky »

raekuul wrote:vote: Falky

There, I kickstarted discussion.
rude
TheVulpineHero1 wrote:An RL as a play isn't an entirely bad idea
At the moment, all we have is the standard problem of who to go for with the RL, especially with it being a day start. While I'm not necessarily opposed to an RL for today (or the next couple of days or so, although we should have some more information so as to minimise the random aspect by that point at least), keep in mind that it could lead to mislynching on mylo or lylo without knowing it due to not knowing the numbers. Granted, it's a safe assumption that we're quite a while off that yet, but something to keep in mind for the future at least.
raekuul wrote:It's too bad we can't view just one person's posts in a thread like on The Grey Labyrinth. Reading a player's iso (isolated posts) is very helpful.
You could use the search. Not optimal, perhaps, but it's probably your best bet.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

Falky wrote:At the moment, all we have is the standard problem of who to go for with the RL, especially with it being a day start.
Are we using the same definition of the word Random here? I laid down a vote for you simply because nobody had voted yet and you were right there.

On that note, unvote
Falky wrote:While I'm not necessarily opposed to an RL for today (or the next couple of days or so, although we should have some more information so as to minimise the random aspect by that point at least), keep in mind that it could lead to mislynching on mylo or lylo without knowing it due to not knowing the numbers. Granted, it's a safe assumption that we're quite a while off that yet, but something to keep in mind for the future at least.
And anyone who seriously suggests doing random lynches once we do have information from a lynch to work with is more suspicious since they're more willing to let dead innocents accumulate.
TheVulpineHero1
Party hazard fiesta mix

I see. So we don't have to feel pressured to RL for info unless we want to. Good to know.

Well, there are (unless I've failed math) 17 players as of this post. Typical maf games have town significantly higher numerically than maf, so I think we can more or less safely assume that there are less than eight scum. Right now, I would estimate the actual number of maf to be somewhere between 3~5, both because that's a fairly common number, and secondly because the original game spec was set out for 20 people; the most logical splits for town/maf given that would be either 16/4, or 4:1 town to maf ratio, or 15:5 for a 3:1.Personally, I think we're most likely at a 12:4 ratio and then the other one person is either a separate faction or thrown randomly into the mix.

That's more or less as far as my reasoning has gone in this game yet. Since there's no data, not much to do other than guess at stuff.
raekuul wrote:The general idea behind running a day 1 random lynch is the fact that, because we didn't have a Night 0 phase, we literally have only reactions to work with at this point. The town stands the chance of gaining a scum lynch if we do any sort of lynching on day 1, but there will always be a kill on night 1 to counterbalance any gains we may make due to random chance.

It's too bad we can't view just one person's posts in a thread like on The Grey Labyrinth. Reading a player's iso (isolated posts) is very helpful.
That's a fair point. Although my guesswork is potentially incorrect, I don't think the chance of hitting a maf is low based on it. Call it 25% for convinience, Given we don't know anything about the value of the roles we might lose if we succeed, though... I get the feeling town's roles will perhaps be a bit more powerful to compensate for the handicap of town having literally zero information at game outset, so we may stand to lose more.

I'm not sure I really want to be rling, but as a placeholder in case I'm busy and miss out on voting/discussion, I'm going to go with an RNG choice and
Vote: Window Squeegee
Broken image, apparently
Broken image
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

raekuul wrote:On that note, unvote
You know that does not count unless you write it correctly.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

Feh. UNVOTE: Falky
Falky

Post by Falky »

raekuul wrote:Are we using the same definition of the word Random here?
Presumably, but my point was that there are always problems with who to RL. Vulpine already mentioned the meta aspect, there's the possibility of an invader leading the RL knowing that they're definitely lynching a townsperson, etc. Nothing more meant by it than what often happens on d1, hence the use of the term "standard problem".
raekuul wrote:And anyone who seriously suggests doing random lynches once we do have information from a lynch to work with is more suspicious since they're more willing to let dead innocents accumulate.
Well, quite. My point was that without knowing what we're dealing with, the random ceiling appears to start off somewhat higher in this game. By that I mean we're starting off knowing even less than usual, and it seems like the random element will decrease more slowly than usual due to not knowing things like numbers. For simplicity's sake, say a few people are efffectively blues. In a normal game, if a blue died tomorrow, we'd know that there were X amount of blues left. However, in this, we wouldn't. That's all I meant by that.
TheVulpineHero1 wrote:Well, there are (unless I've failed math) 17 players as of this post. Typical maf games have town significantly higher numerically than maf, so I think we can more or less safely assume that there are less than eight scum. Right now, I would estimate the actual number of maf to be somewhere between 3~5, both because that's a fairly common number, and secondly because the original game spec was set out for 20 people; the most logical splits for town/maf given that would be either 16/4, or 4:1 town to maf ratio, or 15:5 for a 3:1.Personally, I think we're most likely at a 12:4 ratio and then the other one person is either a separate faction or thrown randomly into the mix.
I don't think the chance of hitting a maf is low based on it. Call it 25% for convinience, Given we don't know anything about the value of the roles we might lose if we succeed, though... I get the feeling town's roles will perhaps be a bit more powerful to compensate for the handicap of town having literally zero information at game outset, so we may stand to lose more.
Fair points, I hadn't really thought about that last one. It's too early to speculate too much about roles, but it can probably be assumed that there'll be equivalents of some of the classics (blue, doc, cop, nilla, possibly hooker or something etc) along with those unknown and potentially more powerful roles.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
sedron
im proud of you kid

Post by sedron »

Talking from a less strategic perspective, killing people at random is wrong.

Unless we have something to go on by the end of the day, I'm probably keeping that vote.
Window Squeegee
Hog with a Blog

Post by Window Squeegee »

Same reason as above.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

While I agree with you from a moralistic standpoint, there's two strategic problems with doing that.

1) It robs us of information that can be used on later days.
2) The bad guys have no such qualms.

For example, I already have my eye on Willhart for suspicion as in my view he was far too quick to jump on the first "wagon" that cropped up - never mind the fact that it was a wagon of one before he jumped on.

Plus with 17 we're looking at a majority of 9, so lynch is probably going to be somewhere around 7 or 8 votes if we get deadlined (and 9 if we don't), so throwing around votes just to see what happens isn't a bad idea on day 1. Gunning for a lynch right out of the gate? Bad. Not taking the opportunity to gather information while we still have everybody? Worse.
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander

Post by Sorel »

If you don't mind killing someone on the first day, then how about...

...you being the target?

VOTE: raekuul
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
Vergalon
help, I've been abducted (?)

Post by Vergalon »

Oh jeez, what has this chaos done already?

I see points for both hitting the kill-switch or not. What role is this crisis going to impose upon us all?

VOTE: FluffiMasta

Oh the internet humanity

*runs into the twitter thread*
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

FluffiMasta wrote:If you don't mind killing someone on the first day, then how about...

...you being the target?

VOTE: raekuul
In all honesty, I should care more than I do that I'm being suggested, but in reality I understand that it's more important that we get information out of day 1 than to just let it slip by.
Holy

Post by Holy »

I think we've got a higher chance of screwing up and hitting one of our own than actually accomplishing anything through RL.
Mikkofier
What about Ron magic?
First name: Mikko J. Fuzzygrumbles

Post by Mikkofier »

Vote: No-one

We'll just play into their bag by turning on each other all willy-nilly.
Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.
-Kurt Vonnegut
Context-free Supper Mario Broth Roulette! NOTE: Potential Jumpscare warning!
Avatar source (for most of them).
Dizzybelle
Barrel!
First name: (◕ v ◕✿)

Post by Dizzybelle »

Vote: No-One

we should wait and see if any peeps show any signs of douchebaggery first
besides, weve got no clue what the evil things even are
maybe the powers at be will shed some light on the situation, yo
ImageImageImage