(shouting)

[Mafia] Talkhaus Invasion and Ice Cream Discussion Thread

Damn, it feels good to be a gangster.

What should the theme of this game be?

Poll ended at 9 years ago

Standard Werewolf (Theme is villagers and werewolves)
12%
Standard Mafia (Theme is townspeople and the mafia)
12%
Talkhaus Invasion (The forum is being attacked by internet undesirables)
41%
ASMT: The game: The game (ASMT themed, possible roles include Furbas, Goopas, ABCDs, etc.)
35%
Other (Please specify in a post)
No votes

Total votes: 17

Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Re: Talkhaus Werewolf and Ice Cream (Vote for the theme!)

Post by Willhart »

I'll participate too.
Hoeloe
A2XT person
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Talkhaus Werewolf and Ice Cream (Vote for the theme!)

Post by Hoeloe »

Just over a day left to join up and vote for the theme!
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Re: Talkhaus Invasion and Ice Cream [Mafia]

Post by Hoeloe »

The theme vote has been finished, it seems we're going with a Talkhaus Invasion. I'll set up the roles and do some final preparations, and will hopefully PM them out tomorrow.

Once the roles are sent out, I will open a new thread for the game. Once that thread is open, the game begins. Days will last 24 hours, in which players can vote for who to ban (execute) that day. If no consensus is reached, no-one will be banned. At the end of each day, I will post a "lock" message while I prepare that day's update post. Votes after the lock message will not be counted. The update post will contain the events and outcomes of the previous day, and once that has been posted, the next day begins. This will continue until one team is the winner.

I'm looking forward to playing with all of you!
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Re: [Mafia] Talkhaus Invasion and Ice Cream Discussion Thread

Post by Hoeloe »

Roles are on their way. Remember, the game doesn't start until the main thread is up (I'll link to it from here).

EDIT: Roles have now been sent out! These were chosen by a random number generator. I'll now begin setting up the first post.

The game has begun: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=15469&p=264223#p264223
FluffiMasta wrote:
pholtos wrote:
Mikkofier wrote:
KobaBeach wrote:
Vergalon wrote:
8flight wrote:
Window Squeegee wrote:
raekuul wrote:
sedron wrote:
Whimsical Calamari wrote:
Elgadika wrote:
bkamakaze wrote:
Falky wrote:
Holy wrote:
TheVulpineHero1 wrote:
Sturg wrote:
Willhart wrote:
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

As there seems to be some concern in the game thread, I'm putting this here:

It seems the way I play Mafia on forums is slightly different from what most people are used to. I tend to not tell people the roles that are available, and what their abilities are. I find this produces a much more interesting mid-game, when people start working out what's going on, and I've found it leads to a more entertaining game as a result. I will of course inform players when a team has been wiped out and the game ended, and roles will be revealed when players are banned. From that, it's possible to at least estimate the number of remaining members of each team.

However, as some have noticed, the first day does usually end up a bit more difficult than usual because of this. Remember, you can always vote for no-one to be banned at the end of the day if you're not sure.
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

It probably favors the mafia somewhat, but I guess it is not a big deal if it makes the game more interesting.
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

Willhart wrote:It probably favors the mafia somewhat, but I guess it is not a big deal if it makes the game more interesting.
There are other thing's I've done which help to counterbalance, which should come to light in time. I've played games with exactly these rules before, and they do tend to be very close games, though both sides certainly have a good chance.
TheVulpineHero1
Party hazard fiesta mix

Post by TheVulpineHero1 »

Dangit. Was looking forward to a nice game of maf. Ah well. Not sure if we're allowed last words, so I'll put it here -- good luck, townhausers!
Broken image, apparently
Broken image
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

TheVulpineHero1 wrote:Dangit. Was looking forward to a nice game of maf. Ah well. Not sure if we're allowed last words, so I'll put it here -- good luck, townhausers!
Once you've been taken out of play, feel free to continue discussion of the game in this thread. I only ask that ex-players not divulge hidden knowledge of the game until it has finished, for obvious reasons.

I always dislike the first day. I just feels a bit harsh to kick someone out immediately.
TheVulpineHero1
Party hazard fiesta mix

Ah well. Probably should have been somewhat quieter d1, if I'm honest; the fact that they got both me and Raekul, who were some of the more detailed contributors to the discussion, probably indicates they were just looking for easy targets. That said, I got tripped up by the meta forum aspect -- I tend to theorycraft a lot, regardless of whether I'm town, maf, blue, power role, or what. I enjoy the game more that way, and if I suddenly stopped doing it, it'd look weird and could cast suspicion on me.
Broken image, apparently
Broken image
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

Um, I had NO chance to use my night ability. I didn't even know Night had happened until I logged in today and saw that I was dead.

Bad form, that.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
TheVulpineHero1
Party hazard fiesta mix

raekuul wrote:Um, I had NO chance to use my night ability. I didn't even know Night had happened until I logged in today and saw that I was dead.

Bad form, that.
Day and night abilities were strange this game. You had to pick a target during the day, and then the ability would take effect the following night (if I'm understanding the rules correctly). I'm not sure what kind of priority the night activation would have had versus the maf kills, but I'd like to think they'd have gone off beforehand.
Also, I was so close to protecting you d1. I dunno how much is kosher to reveal here, but you were the second person on my list. Nuts.
Hoeloe wrote:
TheVulpineHero1 wrote:
raekuul's post made me think -- would it be possible to maybe ping the remaining players using the quote system when the game switches between night and day phases? I found it really convenient when we were all quote-unqoute 'summoned' for the start of the game.
Broken image, apparently
Broken image
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

So in practice this is a Deep South game.

Good thing that was made abundantly clear well in advance.
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

raekuul wrote:So in practice this is a Deep South game.

Good thing that was made abundantly clear well in advance.
I wasn't aware that was a specific thing. This is just how I've always played it. The versions of the game I've played, both online and in real life, only have the nights consist of people choosing their powers. I find there's little point in having a whole night period for this, since more or less no discussion happens during the night, and I assumed (apparently wrongly) that this was usually the case. Functionally, delayed nightless Mafia (this game) is little different from the day-night setup, just a little more streamlined for a system that allows private messaging. Powers are submitted to me at any time during the day, and are activated in a pre-determined order the following night. This was written in the rules on the main post, and in your power description, but perhaps could have been interpreted differently to how they were intended, so I apologise for that.

Sorry for any misunderstanding. As I said before, I've run this on a few forums before, and I've never had issues with this sort of thing. If I run another game, I'll make sure to post the rules in the sign-up thread, to make sure everyone is clear on how the game is played before it starts. Sorry again.

I will do a ping now, and add the ping summon to each day.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

Just make sure you're aware of it. I come from the Grey Labyrinth, where there's a dedicated Night phase unless it's explicitly a Deep South game.
Falky
Space Mountain, Real World's Champion, WOOOOO etc

Post by Falky »

I think one of the main points of having a separate night phase, especially during a forum game with people from all over the world who are likely to be asleep at certain times, is so people can take into account everything that's been said during the day before deciding who to use powers on. If there's no night phase, it means that people have to decide during the day and may therefore miss an important piece of information near the end of the day. Say the doc decides he's going to protect Fred that night, but then Bob claims cop near the end of the day. If the doc happened to be away near the end of the day due to work, sleep, school or other commitments, he'd be unable to take Bob's claim into consideration.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

Falky wrote:I think one of the main points of having a separate night phase, especially during a forum game with people from all over the world who are likely to be asleep at certain times, is so people can take into account everything that's been said during the day before deciding who to use powers on. If there's no night phase, it means that people have to decide during the day and may therefore miss an important piece of information near the end of the day. Say the doc decides he's going to protect Fred that night, but then Bob claims cop near the end of the day. If the doc happened to be away near the end of the day due to work, sleep, school or other commitments, he'd be unable to take Bob's claim into consideration.
That's a fair point, and not one I've considered. If I run another game, I may try one with a night phase to see how things compare. I'm sorry for any problems - I've never seen this discussion come up before, and I've run and played quite a few games on different forums, so it came as a bit of a surprise. I've seen it played many times, and they usually use the nightless system in my experience. I assumed this was how it was generally done.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

So I was rightfully suspicious of Willhart.

Does anyone else see a problem with the fact that someone who hasn't played Mafia on this forum at all was able to spot scum from a single untell?
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

raekuul wrote:Does anyone else see a problem with the fact that someone who hasn't played Mafia on this forum at all was able to spot scum from a single untell?
Not really, no. I don't see a problem with that.
sedron
im proud of you kid

Post by sedron »

Oh no I'm deaaaaaaaaad. =(

Ah well, I'm just happy my post-moving thing did something. I took somebody down with me. =D
Vergalon
help, I've been abducted (?)

Post by Vergalon »

*manafests*
Is this where you go to get your ghost designation?
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander

Post by Sorel »

sedron wrote:Oh no I'm deaaaaaaaaad. =(

Ah well, I'm just happy my post-moving thing did something. I took somebody down with me. =D
The role you had reminds me a lot of the Hunter role in Werewolf, where you can shoot somebody if you die.

I always shot my friends and vice-versa, and that led to a victory for the townspeople once. Good times.
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
sedron
im proud of you kid

Post by sedron »

I'll have to talk more about the role when the game is over. I have spoilers. =P
Vergalon
help, I've been abducted (?)

Post by Vergalon »

you could always put [REDACTED] in place of any names that would be spoiler-y :3
sedron
im proud of you kid

Post by sedron »

The Talkhaus is gonna lose this one, it seems like a foregone conclusion at this point. =/