(shouting)

Mafia de vainilla, hijo (SIGNUPS CLOSED)

Damn, it feels good to be a gangster.
Dan

Mafia de vainilla, hijo (SIGNUPS CLOSED)

Post by Dan »

¡Hola a todos! Welcome to the signup thread for the nth iteration of Mafia, the talkhaus' longest-running and most storied fad. In the same vein as Mafia Vainilla, one of my personal favorite games as well as a model for restarting the fad, this round will be entirely vanilla. No gimmicks. No tricks. No host ruining the game by mixing up all the complicated rules that had to be created. Just Mafia.

What is Mafia?
Mafia (with a big M) is a game of strategy and psychological trickery. In the game's most basic form, there are two teams: town and mafia (little m). The ultimate goal of each team is to destroy the other team. No townsperson knows who is mafia; therefore, the town's main focus is identifying mafia members and executing them. To aid in this search, the town has several specialized roles, such as the cop and the doctor. All such roles will be explained in detail later on.

The game is divided into two parts: night and day. At night, the mafia has meetings via PM and decided which town member to kill. The mafia also have specialized roles, and these players perform their actions at night as well. Any power roles from the town (cop, doctor, etc.) also send the host their night actions at this time. Once all actions have been sent, the night ends. In the daytime, all players participate in a vote. The players democratically choose who should be killed that day. The purpose of this vote is to eliminate the mafia, but it often ends in the death of a townsperson due to misinformation. Daytime ends after someone is killed.

The game continues in this way until either the mafia outnumbers the town, or all the mafia have died.
Rules
:!: These rules are entirely rewritten to reflect recent changes. Please review them because I will end you if you break them.
  1. All Mafia discussion is limited to this thread. You may not theorize, collude with other players, or otherwise ruin the game except in the thread. If you are part of a team, such as the mafia, you may discuss the game with them during the designated times.
  2. Whispers will be allowed in this game. To secretly contact another player during the day, PM me your message and the intended recipient. To keep this from breaking the game, whispers have a 10% chance of leaking to the other players. There is a 5% chance that both the sender and the recipient will be revealed in these leaks; otherwise, only the sender will be revealed.
  3. You may not post at night. There is one exception: all dead players are allowed to make one final post whenever they choose. You may not reveal any information about the game in these posts.
  4. The host is not a player, and is completely impartial (I'm talking to you, anomaly). Posts made by the host can be trusted.
  5. During the night, you must send me, the host, your night action in a PM. If you do not send it in a timely manner, you will be killed.
  6. If you have to leave for a few days or are otherwise incapacitated, let me know ASAP so I can kill you.
  7. If you are not an active player (i.e. not posting, not voting, etc.) you will be killed. Do not sign up if you aren't going to play.
  8. During the day, everyone votes on who should be killed. Once a majority is reached, that person dies. If everyone has voted and no majority is reached, a countdown begins, at the end of which whoever has the most votes will die.
  9. Days will last a minimum amount of time to accommodate different timezones.
  10. Talkhaus Mafia is based on epicmafia rules, but does not necessarily follow those rules to the letter.
  11. The game ends when all mafia are dead, or when the mafia outnumbers the town.

How to Play Well/Poorly
Mafia games are fun when people use trickery and mind games to help their team win.
This is an art form, and is hard to master, but don't be discouraged from trying. In almost every game there is inevitably a bandwagon phase, or a phase in which people simply stop posting. Mafia is not a game of mindless voting, it is a game of thinking. Games go well when mafia use the system to their advantage (posting fake reports, claiming to be roles they aren't) and townspeople have actual discussions about the evidence - fake or real - that is presented to them. Games go poorly when no reports are offered, no roles are claimed, and no discussion happens. To see what a good game looks like, check out the starred games below. Any game with "RIP Mafia" beside it was so terrible that it killed the fad for a while, so check those out to see how not to play.

Mafia Hall of Fame Shame
Vanilla Mafia (Sillyman)
Caramel Mafia (Wareng)
Chocolate Mafia (Sillyman) (RIP Mafia #1)
Double Mint Chocolate Chip Mafia (Time Traveler)
Neapolitan Mafia (Wareng)
Mocha Moolatte Mafia (Argumentable)
*Cookies 'n' Cream Mafia (limepie20)*
Double Chocolate Mafia (Sillyman)
Secret Santa Mafia (O-Card) (RIP Mafia #2)
*Vainilla Mafia (O-Card)*
*Butter Pecan Mafia (Wareng)*
Strawberry Mafia (Argumentable) (RIP Mafia #3)
Cookie Dough Mafia (Wareng)
Pumpkin Pie Mafia (Aposke) (RIP Mafia #4)
*Avocado Cinnamon Swirl Mafia (Wareng)*
*Mystery Meat Mafia (Argumentable)*
{Various games lost to the talkhaustrophe}
DELUXE Banana Split Mafia (anomaly) (RIP Mafia #5)

Signups
Signups last until game reaches 16 players
pholtos
RedMageMike
8flight
Falky
ano0maly
OC
jayScribble
Jesuiscontent
zmonbobbo
LukaRamu
Cubewano
freelop
Holy
phencer42
Ignoritus
Last edited by Dan 10 years ago, edited 7 times in total.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Re: Mafia de vainilla, hijo (SIGNUPS)

Post by pholtos »

Oh man it's a mafia. I'd like to join.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
🦆 RedMageSusie
Dancing with the moonlit knight

Post by RedMageSusie »

I'd like to join. Haven't done this before so I'd like a bit of clarification on one of the rules. Number 5, if you're a regular old townsfolk, do you still need to PM a nightly action (if only for the sake of "hey, I'm still here")?
Dan

Post by Dan »

No
Falky
Space Mountain, Real World's Champion, WOOOOO etc
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Falky »

Aye.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I join

Also Demolition was supposed to make next game
O-Card
what are you doing here
Pronouns: he/el

Post by O-Card »

sí, buen señor, querría yo inscribirme a su actividad de recreación llevada a cabo a través de este medio de comunicación informático

(you might need to actively hack into my computer to tell me to post jk I will be active or will I)
talkhaus: the singening
you must sing
MAFIA
yo yo yo play the game
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

I will play.
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Whisper game HYPE

zmonbobbo
Haustone Tournament Semifinalist
Hey there! I'm a dude!
First name: Zach

Post by zmonbobbo »

I'm in.
I'm probably driving right now.
lukaramu
not lukaramu
First name: not lukaramu

Post by lukaramu »

yes (i'm in)
Cubewano

Post by Cubewano »

I wish to participate in this event
http://buymybook@frauds.wav.avi.biz.co.uk
3DS friendcode: 2079-8183-3599

NOT a part of the Illuminati
Dan

Post by Dan »

:!: :!: There are 11 of you. I'm cutting it off at 16 :!: :!:
ano0maly wrote:I join

Also Demolition was supposed to make next game
You snooze you lose
Jesuiscontent wrote:Whisper game HYPE
I assume this is a join
O-Card wrote:
ay, éste....... j**************************************
freelop

Re: Mafia de vainilla, hijo (SIGNUPS - 5 spots left)

Post by freelop »

Haven't done one of these in a while, I'm in
Holy

Re: Mafia de vainilla, hijo (SIGNUPS - 5 spots left)

Post by Holy »

Sign me up.
phencer42

Re: Mafia de vainilla, hijo (SIGNUPS - 3 spots left)

Post by phencer42 »

Put me in coach! I'm ready to make some people's horse's kneecaps disappear with cement shoes.
Ignoritus
O◡O

Re: Mafia de vainilla, hijo (SIGNUPS - 3 spots left)

Post by Ignoritus »

Oooh! This sounds like fun! May I play?
Dan

Re: Mafia de vainilla, hijo (SIGNUPS - 1 spot left)

Post by Dan »

I've decided that 15 is plenty. Signups are closed! I will post the game later on.