(shouting)

1% of the Users Control 43% of the Posts: Fixing the Forums

Topics of particular note that tickle the fancy of users and mods alike.
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Re: 1% of the Users Control 43% of the Posts: Fixing the Forums

Post by Argumentable »

I'm more interested in this "cracker-barrel" now honestly
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
ultratowel112
Pronouns: He/him

Post by ultratowel112 »

Aposke wrote:...
Being an admin since the very beginning, Argumentable played a major role in establishing some ground ideas for the cracker-barrel, with other people eventually following him.

Over time, these two sides have barely changed, even though the users they consist of have constantly changed.
A good example is UltraTowel, whose prior time of activity was between late 2009 and mid-2010, after which he disappeared for more than a year, effectively leaving the cracker-barrel and "making space" for new members, as the cracker-barrel by its definition can only hold a small amount of users.
Hi.

Fun fact: Argu and SA are the second set of mods. Dealth and Kraze were the first set. They were "fired" for not really doing anything, though.

I never really left. I still looked at the forums, but I just don't post. I read pretty much every post in every topic except in the collaboration forum. Also, I was on the IRC daily about May/June last year, and I have visited a couple times since then. It's not for a lack of time (gaming and internet take up almost all my free time, which I have a lot of), nor is it for a lack of interest (I watch raocow almost daily, and, like I said, I read almost every post). I just don't post. I'm not sure if I still have it, but I used to have that "Posting and you" flash thing in my sig. I follow that, and if I don't have anything to add to the topic, I usually don't post. Add in the fact that I'm a quiet and shy guy, and you don't get too many posts.

Now, to solve the problem at hand. Probably the best way to renew interest from both the old and new members would be to increase community involvement, such as have contests of some sort. One person who was great at this was TLs4. Whether it be the SMW race, the MATH contests, or his streams, I was thoroughly entertained by him. The SMW race was a fun event that we should try to have again, maybe with another game (I would join anything that I have a cartridge for, since I would lag like hell recording an emulator). The MATH contest is probably the thing I miss the most about TLs4. It was simple and easy to get involved with, and interesting to see the results of. His streams may not sound like they had much involvement, but they did. He would take suggestions from the IRC on what games to play, and he would use our answers in Family Feud. TLstreams (as I like to call them) would help to boost the activity on the IRC.

tl;dr: I'm not dead, just lurking. Get TLs4 active again.
Dan

Post by Dan »

The problem with basing the forums around a TLs4-cult (or any one person for that matter) is that you're setting them up for a collapse. TLs4 started the site, and was very active originally. We all thought he'd be around for as long as the site was (I'm assuming). The problem is that real life and other things inevitably come up and look at us now. MATH2 still isn't done.

Something Thissa said interested me - the forums can go one of two directions, becoming more raocow-centric (or staying at the current level) and eventually fading away when he stops LPing or becoming a more generalized site, one which can survive past the eventual end of raocow's LP career. So we can't just rely on one person to fix everything, we need an increase in users and a gradual shift away from LP-discussion-only toward a more topic-neutral site.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

If it's necessary, we could offer $10 to any new user who registers.
ultratowel112

Post by ultratowel112 »

Don Zanevsky wrote:The problem with basing the forums around a TLs4-cult (or any one person for that matter) is that you're setting them up for a collapse. TLs4 started the site, and was very active originally. We all thought he'd be around for as long as the site was (I'm assuming). The problem is that real life and other things inevitably come up and look at us now. MATH2 still isn't done.
Right. I didn't make myself clear (I blame my tl;dr). The TLs4 things were just examples of things that could be done to increase activity. The contests could be run by other people and still get community involvement. The people running them don't matter, the involvement does. Granted, an admin running these contests does work (like SNN on SMWC), but it isn't necessary.
Don Zanevsky wrote:Something Thissa said interested me - the forums can go one of two directions, becoming more raocow-centric (or staying at the current level) and eventually fading away when he stops LPing or becoming a more generalized site, one which can survive past the eventual end of raocow's LP career. So we can't just rely on one person to fix everything, we need an increase in users and a gradual shift away from LP-discussion-only toward a more topic-neutral site.
Also correct. Another forum I used to visit (and still do sometimes) was focused on rhythm games, specifically Guitar Hero and Rock Band. Since the genre is basically dead, the activity has pretty much stopped except for two areas. The areas are both general discussion (one general video game and the other general anything). A shift towards "a more topic-neutral site" will help gain and keep activity in the Talkhaus.

About an increase in users: there are a couple ways we could help this. 1) Replace the current method with a new one (ie reCAPTCHA). This might be the best way, I don't really know since I'm just a user. 2) Keep the current system, allow other in-power people (Argu, SA, Thissa) to approve the new members. 3) Keep the current system, "hire" one or two new people whose only purpose is to approve new members. 4) Get rid of any system. We could get more mods if necessary. More mods = more time online = less time to ban a bot.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

limepie20 wrote:If it's necessary, we could offer $10 to any new user who registers.
If we do this can I register several thousand alts? :)
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

ultratowel112 wrote:allow other in-power people (Argu, SA, Thissa) to approve the new members
Pretty sure everybody mentioned already can. I don't especially enjoy doing it but I'll keep doing it.
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
ultratowel112

Post by ultratowel112 »

Argumentable wrote:
ultratowel112 wrote:allow other in-power people (Argu, SA, Thissa) to approve the new members
Pretty sure everybody mentioned already can. I don't especially enjoy doing it but I'll keep doing it.
Oh. I thought only TLs4 and raocow could approve.
BTYM

Post by BTYM »

Here we GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

e: Thissa, sorry for shooting down most of your ideas, I just don't think they're necessary or that beneficial in any way

Cup wrote:-A possible chatbox via the irc that rena is looking into (if anything ever comes of that, one of us will probably get in touch with thissa about it over in the suggestions forum).
I use lightIRC on talkha.us and it's awesome. From a client-side perspective, it works a lot like Mibbit but much nicer looking and without ads. And qwebIRC is also cool but I remember having a lot of problems with it.
Cup wrote:-More promotion from raocow. Possibly explaining the new registration system and encouraging participation (I know several people have asked on his youtube channel about process so feature a video about it wouldn't go amiss).
this
Onyx3173 wrote:Most people who are actually interested in joining are probably going to stop checking back after a day or two assuming they'll never get activated.
This is true and it sucks, change the Captcha and add some cycling raocow-themed verification questions. I'm really surprised you waited, because 99% of all people on the internet have the attention span of a goldfish.
raocow wrote:I have ZERO idea how forum things work on a technical level, so I have ZERO idea how to fix any of that. The truth is I was approached about creating these forums, and I said 'okay', and that's it. Even if we had brilliant ideas I wouldn't where to start to the 'how' of implementing them
Use Google mang. Otherwise I'd be happy to help with anything, and I'm sure most people here would too ._.
Thissa wrote:TLs4 does everything else (like the talkhaus and the rest of raocow.com). Also I can never get in touch with him either.
Okay we all know TLs4 is impossible to get a hold of and he does not a whole lot, why doesn't he just assign another admin who knows what they're doing and is active? *HINT HINT TLs4 WE NEED A BIGGER MOD TEAM*
Thissa wrote: - Petion raocow to disable comments on Youtube, making Talkhaus the de-facto place to discuss them.
No no no no no
1. I doubt raocow would like that at all D:
2. That looks really desperate
3. Most people aren't going to take the time to sign up on some forum just to leave a random half-sentence or quote about some YouTube video. Comments are just comments, 95% of the time, it's not even worth the time that it takes to load a page
4. People like getting thumbs up, that's half the reason most people leave comments, because it makes them feel appreciated
5. It's annoying
Thissa wrote: - Kill the IRC, which IMO adds nothing.
die die die die die die
Of course it does something, it's a place where anyone can go just to have a random conversation or talk to talkhaus friends. You can't kill it (as it's Rena's and only Rena's), and all it would do is piss off a bunch off people and make it less convenient to talk to each other.
Thissa wrote: - Replace the image captcha and approval system with a set of custom questions/answers (see: http://blog.phpbb.com/2009/06/27/3-0-6- ... s-and-you/ near the bottom, i.e. we could have "Complete the raocow Catchphrase: Freakin' _____ ) so that it's easier for new people to register.
this
Thissa wrote: - Get the mods to crack down on any trolling or hivemind/injokey behavior outside of the gazebo. This kind of stuff discourages new members. HOWEVER, don't get rid of the gazebo, every message board needs its' FYAD contained somewhere or it will leak all over the rest of the forums.
Unless said hivemind is targeting new users, that would just suck. Part of what makes talkhaus awesome is that we all generally get along fine without very many rules to get in the way. If we had rules to restrict non-harmful content, that'd be stepping on our toes; stuff like this should be officially and publicly encouraged but not enforced. New users need to just grow a pair and start posting.
Thissa wrote:Now all that being said, what happens the day raocow finally stops LPing?
We'll probably have enough active members that it won't matter a whole lot to talkhaus. For me, raocow and talkhaus are two largely unrelated things; I love watching raocow's LPs, but they have nothing to do with me going on talkhaus.
Last edited by BTYM 12 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

bowtoyourmaster wrote:
Onyx3173 wrote:Most people who are actually interested in joining are probably going to stop checking back after a day or two assuming they'll never get activated.
This is a big issue, just change the Captcha and add some cycling raocow-themed verification questions. I'm really surprised you waited, because 99% of all people who have ever posted in Fast Threads have the attention span of a goldfish.
This is true and it sucks, change the Captcha and add some cycling raocow-themed verification questions. I'm really surprised you waited, because 99% of all people on the internet have the attention span of a goldfish.
As it appears you do too.
No offense honestly, just messing with you. I actually agree with you on all that I think.
BTYM

Post by BTYM »

Whoops. I opened a bunch of tabs to reply (WHY ISN'T THERE A MULTIQUOTE BUTTON) and hit that one twice
ImageImage
kilon

Post by kilon »

bowtoyourmaster wrote:Whoops. I opened a bunch of tabs to reply (WHY ISN'T THERE A MULTIQUOTE BUTTON) and hit that one twice
When replying you can click on the quote buttons in the topic review below the reply box for the multiquote thing. Although it doesn't scroll all the way to the beginning of the thread if you want to quote from all over the place.
Don Zanevsky wrote:Something Thissa said interested me - the forums can go one of two directions, becoming more raocow-centric (or staying at the current level) and eventually fading away when he stops LPing or becoming a more generalized site, one which can survive past the eventual end of raocow's LP career. So we can't just rely on one person to fix everything, we need an increase in users and a gradual shift away from LP-discussion-only toward a more topic-neutral site.
That reminds me of that one guy who posted random news stories as a new thread every time. Can't remember if it was the cactus guy or someone else, but that didn't work out so well. Then again, that was the time with all the trolls and mayhem (but after the rest fiasco). Now that everything has settled down a year or two there aren't that many annoying trolls left so topics that failed back then might work out this time around. I should go back in the past and see what there is to see in these ruins.

Also, I may actually be a good example of people that don't really add anything and still get quite a few posts. But I didn't really contribute much to this place. Yeah, I helped with the plot for ASMT but I can't even recall making a new topic about anything in all these years (apart from the plot thread for A2MT which is taken over due to lack of interest). So I'm more anonymous than some users with 100 posts, but there still was enough activity for me to reply to things. And that is what a good forum is about. That there is enough to go around doing without the necessary need to start things up.
Now that I'm a member of the first hour (1 minute short from being the first member minus raocow and tls4. I swear that back in the days I was the first one, I hate how it changed one day..) I should get more active again, but I notice that I don't even read open every thread anymore.. So I don't know if I'm the right person to get things going again. But who knows what the future will hold in store.

I forgot where I was going with this.

Also this place needs more active Europeans. I always hated how a huge chunk of activity takes place in the middle of the night for me. Which is also one of the reasons why I never bothered checking out the irc apart from one holiday.
devil†zukin

Post by devil†zukin »

bowtoyourmaster wrote:
Cup wrote:-A possible chatbox via the irc that rena is looking into (if anything ever comes of that, one of us will probably get in touch with thissa about it over in the suggestions forum).
I use lightIRC on talkha.us and it's awesome. From a client-side perspective, it works a lot like Mibbit but much nicer looking and without ads. And qwebIRC is also cool but I remember having a lot of problems with it.
We already have a webclient, I was just thinking of some lightweight ajaxy thing like this. (spoilers the messages can't actually be seen in IRC yet)
kilon

Post by kilon »

In total there are 34 users online :: 6 registered, 0 hidden and 28 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
That's actually quite a lot of guests. So either they count bots for some reason, people log out for some reason or there is definitely potential for new users.
devil†zukin

Post by devil†zukin »

Or GHOSTS stuck for weeks trying to register. Just use recaptcha.
ultratowel112

Post by ultratowel112 »

bowtoyourmaster wrote:
Thissa wrote: - Replace the image captcha and approval system with a set of custom questions/answers (see: http://blog.phpbb.com/2009/06/27/3-0-6- ... s-and-you/ near the bottom, i.e. we could have "Complete the raocow Catchphrase: Freakin' _____ ) so that it's easier for new people to register.
this
Thissa wrote:Now all that being said, what happens the day raocow finally stops LPing?
We'll probably have enough active members that it won't matter a whole lot to talkhaus. For me, raocow and talkhaus are two largely unrelated things; I love watching raocow's LPs, but they have nothing to do with me going on talkhaus.
I don't like the idea of having to answer a raocow-specific question for registering. If we want to move towards a more "topic-neutral" site (like when rao would stop LPing), the people who don't know raocow and want to join won't know the answer. Since raocow and talkhaus are "two largely unrelated things", registering shouldn't require knowledge of raocow. Without new members when rao stops LPing, the forum will die - without something new, we will probably get bored.
BTYM

Post by BTYM »

While they're largely unrelated, raocow is someone we can all quote... Until he stops LPing those questions should be fine
ImageImage
kilon

Post by kilon »

Just go with two questions like:
"42+44 = ___" and
"talkhaus let there be ____"

easy enough, but takes some effort for bots. Or some other unrelated simple question
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

Okay, this is getting bothersome. Stop posting here about it cause that's not going to do anything. E-mail TLs4, or leave him twitter messages, or contact him any other way you know how if you really want the activation stuff changed. I can assure you that anybody who actually posts to be activated doesn't have to wait more than a day in most cases, though.
Aposke
Banned

Post by Aposke »

Thissa wrote:Here's my suggestions:
- Petion raocow to disable comments on Youtube, making Talkhaus the de-facto place to discuss them. He's not going to lose any viewership, the casual commenters who don't have anything constructive to add aren't going to bother registering for a forum, and those who want serious discussion are going to jump over.
I disapprove of this as well, for all the same reasons BTYM has posted earlier.
Thissa wrote: - Kill the IRC, which IMO adds nothing.
Personally I think the more widespread we can make the Talkhaus, the more users it will attract. I know most of you guys don't particularly like the Skypehaus, but you have to admit it's drawn alot of new people in over it's short lifespan of ~1 year.

- There's sheps, who's never posted anything on here before.
- Either knowingly or subconsciously, people who "drag their friends into group calls" like Demenstar does, greatly help advertising raocow as an LPer.
- And there's a heap of people who would've probably left the site and raocow behind as a whole if they hadn't joined Skypehaus.

All in all I see great potential in widening this site's focus onto other mediums, be it the IRC, Skype, or really anything we can find, as long as the Talkhaus continues existing as the "major anchor" or all news raocow and Romhack-related, I don't see anything bad about such a development.
Yes, basically this with raocow quotes (Kilon's suggestions come to mind here)
Thissa wrote: - Get the mods to crack down on any trolling or hivemind/injokey behavior outside of the gazebo. This kind of stuff discourages new members.
For an internet forum, I think we're already doing a pretty good job at keeping the trolling at bay, safe for maybe the Let's Play forum, but even there it's not that much of a problem. I've seen way worse, really.
Thissa wrote:Now all that being said, what happens the day raocow finally stops LPing? Either Talkhaus is going to die with it, or it will evolve into a general gaming forum with a focus on mario romhacks and Japanese platformers. I guess it all depends on the state of the community at the time. But don't feel bad if it does just die off, really. There's a lot of other forums out there.
I find this to be a very interesting question indeed.
While this isn't exactly the problem at hand, it's something to keep in the back of our minds, since we will eventually have to discuss this in-depth as well. However, for the sake of this thread, I would greatly appreciate it if we kept this discussion out for a while, since it kind of starts to blend in with other people's opinions and theories on the "small userbase" problem.
Ultratowel wrote:Fun fact: Argu and SA are the second set of mods. Dealth and Kraze were the first set. They were "fired" for not really doing anything, though.
I know this, but they've never really been important as to starting out some "group opinion" on any topics and just basically... well, didn't do anything, as you put it. That's why I didn't specifically mention them.
Ultratowel wrote:Now, to solve the problem at hand. [Long explanation]
Yeah, that's pretty much what my resumé was aiming for as well. The Talkhaus as a whole needs more active and fun projects.
The MATH contest was pretty nice (what I've seen of it at least), as was the SMW race and the ONE Scarlet Weather Rhapsody tournament we had (we also need to reboot that!).
The only two active projects going on right now are A2MT, which is... effectively on hiatus, and the Talkhaus Sings, which follows the basic rules of easy group projects:
Being easy to get involved with and providing some basic fun group experience.

We need more of that, man, preferably organized by more than just one or two persons.
kilon wrote:Also this place needs more active Europeans. I always hated how a huge chunk of activity takes place in the middle of the night for me. Which is also one of the reasons why I never bothered checking out the irc apart from one holiday.
Well yes, that would be nice to have, I suppose, but there's not really much we can do about that, can we?

Aside from all this, a web IRC client for irc.renaporn.com embedded onto the Talkhaus home page would definitely be a nice thing to have.

edit: sorry argue I've been working on that post since before you've posted that and I didn't just want to let it go to waste.
O-Card
what are you doing here
Pronouns: he/el

Post by O-Card »

Aposke wrote:the ONE Scarlet Weather Rhapsody tournament we had (we also need to reboot that!).
hey now I'm liking that idea, I'll see what I can do

@argu's post: stop posting here ABOUT it was what he said, referring to the registering problem

everything else is fair game that's exactly what the thread is here about, spreading some initiative, for example, had aposke not reminded me of the swr tournament I wouldn't have thought of the possibility of hosting a soku tournament

also further incorporating the irc into talkhaus, the chatbox or whatever

also aposke, I'd totally believe you on the "skypehaus in beneficial because it draws more people into talkhaus", if it weren't for the fact that pretty much everyone in it right now doesn't even visit talkhaus ever

where's rikun, sheps, punisher, cobalt (he doesn't really ever post however)

rikun herself was a pretty big regular here in talkhaus and started quite a few threads of her own (even if they were about her creepy stalker bullshit)
talkhaus: the singening
you must sing
MAFIA
yo yo yo play the game
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

Sheps has 16 posts and hasn't made any in 3 months, are you sure you want to use that as an example of a shining star from skypehaus? I think you guys may be wearing your rose colored glasses when you think about some of these members. O-Card has pretty much hit the nail on the head when it comes to what I'm thinking on that front, but I want to add that I feel there's been a kind of "split" with talkhaus. You have the forums users, IRCers, and skyphausers. There might be some overlap but if there is it's very tiny.

When it comes down to it, it doesn't matter how many members we have, it's up to you guys to actually come up with ideas and participate.

And as a side note, one mentality I've always hated on talkhaus was the "no posting in old topics" thing. I never had a problem with a post showing up 3 months later, but apparently it's a sin to do so. I know this is kind of going off on a tangent but why not bring it up while we're trying to change the way people think??? Yes there's exceptions I don't really want to discuss it, just wanted to point it out.

Also as a sidenote, I was gonna go through and delete members who have made 0 posts at some point, but I may just move it ahead of schedule. You may notice a member count drop
Cup

Post by Cup »

Thissa wrote: Anyway, speaking as someone who used to run a pretty big internet forum a few years ago, to drive engagement you need to convince people that they should take time out of their day to come visit and chat on your forum. And why should they do that when they can just comment directly on raocow's youtube videos?
Argumentable wrote:When it comes down to it, it doesn't matter how many members we have, it's up to you guys to actually come up with ideas and participate.

And as a side note, one mentality I've always hated on talkhaus was the "no posting in old topics" thing.
I remember a big draw to the forums for me originally was the old askraocow thread. It was pretty fun. And while it definitely lived its day, considering how many new users/views raocow has picked up, a revival or similar thread might drive a lot of activity from new members.

I also wouldn't mind another soku tournament if OC is interested in getting one together. I missed out on the first one for whatever reason.
Aposke
Banned

Post by Aposke »

O-Card wrote:also aposke, I'd totally believe you on the "skypehaus in beneficial because it draws more people into talkhaus", if it weren't for the fact that pretty much everyone in it right now doesn't even visit talkhaus ever
Argumentable wrote:I feel there's been a kind of "split" with talkhaus. You have the forums users, IRCers, and skyphausers. There might be some overlap but if there is it's very tiny.
Well I suppose it is that way (although I'd say the ratio is 50/50 here), but I'm not really sure if that says something about the Skypehaus or rather the Talkhaus.
On the one hand, it's true that the Skypehaus has drawn quite some people away from the forums, simply since it's easier to quickly get together and talk about things over Skype than over here. Of course this also means that there's somewhat of a "split" between the Talkhaus members who actually visit the forums and those who hang around on Skype.
On the other hand - since getting rid of the Skypehaus is pretty much impossible at this point - doesn't this also go to show just another facette of our "grand problem", which is that people simply don't come here anymore because there's not exactly much to do over here?
If you're on the Skypehaus, either you're part of the "established people" on the forums, who post threads full of in-jokes and generally random talk that you can enjoy because you like the people you're talking to (in which case you'd still be active on the Talkhaus) or you're part of the Skypehaus now and don't really want to go back unless there's actually something going on in the forums. Again, this might just be a mirror of the fact that we need to have more group things going on.

But yeah, I can definitely see that community split you've been talking about as well, only I don't think it's that big of a problem as long as both sides still have large enough userbases. (I'd rather have the Skypehaus die than the Talkhaus though, to be perfectly honest)
Last edited by Aposke 12 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

Personally, I registered to the forums for A2MT. So, take that as you will.
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist