(shouting)

Talkhaus Is Back!

Topics of particular note that tickle the fancy of users and mods alike.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Talkhaus Is Back!

Post by Bwarch »

Post in here about it. It's been a long, bumpy ride, mistakes were made, lots of confusion, lots of waiting, but we did it.

Just so everybody knows here's the lowdown:

We're on a backup from June. You'll notice everything is very outdated because of that. If Zanyhost, our old host, ever answers TLs4's messages we might be able to get everything back. But for now this is what we're sticking with.

Because we're on a backup things will be a bit clunky. Users won't be registered, if anybody was banned they will need to be rebanned (nobody was though I believe so we're fine there), and topics will be missing and forums will have to be fixed as we go along.

If you have any concerns or know anything that needs fixing, contact the mods or the admins.

Speaking of which, a big thank you has to go to Rena. She's going to be hosting the Talkhaus from now on, costs and all. So give her a thank you for being willing to take on the task after zanyhost did a really, truly horrible job with hosting the talkhaus. Messages have gone unanswered for too long, hence why we had to go with a June backup.

Really, TLs4, Thissa, raocow and Rena are the reasons we got the Talkhaus back up, so hearty thanks should go out to each of them.

We're back everybody! Feels good ;)
Joseph Staleknight
ABCDs in Katamari Damacy when

Re: Talkhaus Is Back!

Post by Joseph Staleknight »

Feels good indeed. I gotta appreciate everyone for pulling through the past couple of days and getting the Talkhaus back on. Now, to reconstitute my sig to what it was before.
Minnakht
Green eyed monster

Post by Minnakht »

Man, am I glad I joined in May. I wouldn't exist otherwise!
Aposke
Banned

Post by Aposke »

Well, I just hope TLs4 actually can get the most recent update from October, otherwise we'll have lost quite a bit of important material, especially in the collab section that just kinda exploded this year.

Also thanks to Rena for supplying this for the meantime! It's better than nothing, at least.
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

Hooray!!

Thanks Rena!
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

Well, it's superior news today for me, now I feel like I'm home again after a month of no talkhaus.
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
Holy

Post by Holy »

Happy the talkhaus is back! Feels purty nice to be able to check up on things here again.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

Some of you may notice that your avatar is missing. We're seeing if there's a fix for that currently, we may or may not have the files to be able to restore avatars completely.

As well, attachments are along with that too. So avatars + past attachments will be missing. We'll see if there's anything for that, if we lose those it isn't the end of the world though. Feel free to set your avatar anyway if you can, shouldn't cause any problems.

Really the only thing we have left to do is get the URL working right, TLs4 has to redirect the domain if I understand everything correctly.

We'll be in the clear completely if these two things happen.

I'm not holding out for zany to give us back all of our posts personally. I think it's safe to assume they're incompetent and completely unwilling to cooperate. So we probably won't be getting the full talkhaus back, but something is better than nothing and this June backup isn't tooooo bad.

Edit: Oh and one moooore thing, we know about automatic login not being completely there, that's going to happen until the redirect comes.

Edit 2: Oh and we still have everything.raocow to sort out. That's completely out of my hands/understanding though, up to Rena and the brain in the jar to figure out if we can get that working.

CHECK LISTS.

Edit 3: I keep on getting really tripped out seeing how outdated everything really is. A lot can happen in four months as it turns out.

I think the most trippy part was seeing the MaGL 2 posts stickied!!

Edit 4: Note to self ask Rena to make jayScribble and riolu180 mods of the AZCT forum tomorrow. Rao if you see this and you can do that go ahead and do that.
Maiku Wotaharu
Karaoke Enthusiast and Honorary Armless Bipedal Cycloptic Demon
First name: You'll figure it out.

Post by Maiku Wotaharu »

HECK YEAH! WHOOOOO!

Sorry, I couldn't contain myself.
The best part of waking up is...knowing where you are.

FINALLY, SOME MOSTS USERBARS!
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

Thanks Rena for hosting this, and thank you everyone who worked to fix this as best you could. Shit happens sometimes, but at least people try to fix it. ^^;
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
Diggertron
Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Post by Diggertron »

Yay we're back!

Eleventy zillion thanks to all of the above mentioned :D
That makes raocow a victim of proprietary software.
Skynet.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Oh good, the talkhaus is back. It was never a huge part of my day but it going MIA felt weird. Now just for everything.raocow to come back so I don't have to use the bumbling mess that is Youtube.
GanonTEK
Evil King
Location: Ireland. The Emerald Isle. (We got no emeralds though)

Post by GanonTEK »

Happy days!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
TLs4

Post by TLs4 »

Hi all,

Thanks for your patience while we got this sorted out - and a big thanks to Rena and co for making this temporary (and I truly hope it is temporary!!) migration to happen. To give everyone some persceptive on what happened - here's a timeline of the events:

Oct 9 - raocow says to TLs4: Hey duder, the talkhaus she ain't working! TLs4 says to raocow, no problem duder - I'll push the ole reset button and we'll be good to go. TLs4 goes to push the reset button and the ENTIRE zanyhost domain was down. A ticket is open and filed via e-mail to their support - auto response is received but doesn't seem very promising.

Oct 10 - zanyhost comes back online, I log into my account to see that I have NO access to any of the raocow servers and there is no evidence that I have any active services with zany. I update the ticket with this information and ask for the services to be restored.

Oct 12 - Still no reply from Zany so we begin to speak up about backups... turns out the last backup-backup (since the backups were stored within the hosting site) was June. Ticket was updated again. We decided to give zany a chance to reply before we initiated the backup.

Oct 15 - A Zany Reply!!!! Super apologetic and very detailed explanation of the situation. See the end of the post for the full details. The tl;dr version was that zany was bought out by a larger hosting co, but they've had legal issues with the transaction so zany customers + their servers got froze out and shut down. We were told there will be a resolution soon and to sit tight. Because of this, we opted NOT to initiate the backup plan.

Oct 16-Oct 26; Radio silence! Not a peep from anyone. We were all playing the waiting game, or if the waiting game sucked ... hungry hungry hippos.

Oct 27-29; Rena is brought forward as a candidate to host the backups...! Details are worked out between Mr Brain in a Jar + Rena and everyone to make the switchover.

Oct 30-Nov 5; ??????????????????????? I think we all took a nap or something, and were waiting on eachother to all do the next thing to put the thing back on the thing or to redirect the thing to the thing but either way the site got reposted!

Nov 6; here we are today... I found out today that Zany actually CLOSED the ticket I had on Nov 3 with 0 information. So I'm back on their butts today to find out what in the world is going on. (I was without internet for the last 10 days as I moved and am now officiall a home-owner OH SNAP personal irrelevant details!)

Safe to say - getting the talkhaus data could prove tough. I've hosted many a websites and I've NEVER seen a provider go off the radar like this - big or small. Either way, let's make due with what we've got... and I'll do my best to get us that data for July-Oct! Thanks again everyone.

Heres the Zany "official" response for those interested:
Hello,

First, words cannot properly express how apologetic we are for everything that has happened this past week. Last Monday we experienced a massive DDOS attack on our node, not directly effecting your server. During an emergency recovery attempt we corrupted our billing software's database. We have worked with our vendor and pulled our backups and are manually re-attaching services to accounts.

This does not however explain the outage you are currently facing. Your VPS is hosted on the old hardware provided by the previous owner (as per our existing contract with them during the buyout period) until we receive our new IP allotment from ARIN. We found out last week the old provider ran into financial trouble and his space in his existing datacenter was suspended for failure to pay his bill. Your data is not lost but simply put the server is off.

We have spent the past week negotiating and attempting everything to restore service. Zanyhost has reached an unofficial agreement with the provider to have the service turned up for a few days. During this time we will immediately begin migrating your services, along with other clients affected, to our own personally owned hardware to ensure this NEVER happens again.
Thissa

Post by Thissa »

Super thanks to TLs4 and Rena for getting things up and running again!

As for everything.raocow.com, I sent the code for that over to Rena last night, so once that gets put onto the server, TLs4 just needs to change the domain and it should be working again.
TLs4 wrote:(I was without internet for the last 10 days as I moved and am now officiall a home-owner OH SNAP personal irrelevant details!)
Me too buddy! Welcome to the home owner's club! :D
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Good thing I noticed the link. Glad to see I didn't miss too much.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
PkGam

Post by PkGam »

Whoa! That was (and still is) quite a lot of hassle they gave you! I'm happy you got something running even if it's a backup version from a few months back. I hope Zanyhost gets their stuff together.
I think if "in my opinion" was added to the end of all nonfactual or subjective statements, it would prevent a lot of pointless fights.
... in my opinion.
RyutheXIIIth

Post by RyutheXIIIth »

Well, props to Rena, Thissa, TLs4, the cow, of course, and any other important name I haven't remembered at the moment of typing this post because I'm kind of hyper right now. Thank you, everyone, I mean it!

edit: Guess I need to upload a profile pic again but WHATEVER! talkhaus is back and that's what matters!
NEW CONTENT COMING SOON
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

TLs4 mentioned this hopefully being temporary, does that mean that the site will hopefully go back to being talkhaus.raocow.com again in the future?
glitch4

Post by glitch4 »

YAY WERE BACK TO HOME RIGHT NOW!

....atleast.
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

Feels good to be able to post here again, not that I really did even somewhat consistently but still. Thanks to everybody involved in making this happen.
Picochilla
The eternal Cuddles

Post by Picochilla »

Hoooray!

I've already missed the Forum \^O^/
100% Approved!
Patooties are Talkhaus' best thing!
So... I just put in my Youtube-Channel
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

Hell yeah Talkhaus is back, was all the data recovered? I may just be crazy but I think I've lost a post or two.
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

Time to celebrate the talkhaus is back, along with out bot friends.

Yeah, we're getting those now.
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

Xirix wrote:Hell yeah Talkhaus is back, was all the data recovered? I may just be crazy but I think I've lost a post or two.
Guys come on now, I made the OP and followed up with another post full of info for a reason haha.

"We're on a backup from June. You'll notice everything is very outdated because of that. If Zanyhost, our old host, ever answers TLs4's messages we might be able to get everything back. But for now this is what we're sticking with.

Because we're on a backup things will be a bit clunky. Users won't be registered, if anybody was banned they will need to be rebanned (nobody was though I believe so we're fine there), and topics will be missing and forums will have to be fixed as we go along."
Alice wrote:TLs4 mentioned this hopefully being temporary, does that mean that the site will hopefully go back to being talkhaus.raocow.com again in the future?
"Really the only thing we have left to do is get the URL working right, TLs4 has to redirect the domain if I understand everything correctly."