(shouting)

Talkhaus Is Back!

Topics of particular note that tickle the fancy of users and mods alike.
dohz

Re: Talkhaus Is Bakc!

Post by dohz »

Well, this is slightly inconvenient.
Is there a way to recapture that shorter address, or is it irretrievable?
(what sound does the mind make?)
(this, probably)
[/spoiler]
AlchemistHohenheim

Re: Talkhaus Is Back!

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

Whoo, the forums that I haven't posted on in...uh, more than four months at least...are back! Yay and such. Many thanks to Tls4, raocow, Thissa, and Rena.
raocow wrote:hey guys, guess what

I got an email from tls4 saying that the new owners of zanyhost permanently lost the summer data!

HECK YEAh wait that's a terrible thing.
Well, that sucks (although it doesn't effect me personally as noted above). I hope this doesn't somehow derail any of the collab projects too significantly.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I kind of had the feeling that was going to be the case. How could they manage to be so inept? Gah. That kind of stuff drives me nuts.
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

That's the one thing I was really hoping wouldn't happen. I can't stand it when anything is lost forever, especially when it's in a state where it should be around forever. That's... That's just depressing.

I suppose it can't be helped at this point, but... That doesn't mean I won't be at least a little peeved about it.
I don't really get it but okay
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Oh geez the everything database is gonna have to be filled in with all those videos huh ._.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Bwarch »

AlchemistHohenheim wrote: Well, that sucks (although it doesn't effect me personally as noted above). I hope this doesn't somehow derail any of the collab projects too significantly.
They're managing as well as they can, a couple projects were hit hard by having lost all their attachments rather than losing posts and topics, though of course that was probably a tad confusing to have to deal with. Far as I've heard everybody's going to just do what they can to continue, no projects cancelled.
TechSY730

Post by TechSY730 »

Sebby19 wrote:
GanonTEK wrote:Rena is awesome. We could rename the place Renahaus C:
She should instantly win talkhaus member of the year.

Rena is a she, right?

Seconded! (the, member of the year thing, not the "is she a she" thing)
raocow wrote:hey guys, guess what

I got an email from tls4 saying that the new owners of zanyhost permanently lost the summer data!

HECK YEAh wait that's a terrible thing.
alex2 wrote:We should sue
I don't know what the terms of the contract were for sure, but there is a good case for this.
Zanyhost basically didn't do what they promised (assuming their end of the contract didn't have anything silly like "we can drop the ball as much as we like and are not liable"), even though the "talkhaus team" paid them, and it caused real financial damage.

The hardest part would probably be assessing how much financial damage, given that we (the users and viewers) don't pay directly for this service (we "pay" through ads and merchandise) EDIT: Yes, I know the staff (TLS4 in this case for former web hosting) pay for it. I'm saying the "rank and file" users don't pay out of pocket, but support indirectly. I guess the time, energy, and money (both actual costs and opportunity costs) needed to get everything back online could most certainly be included in those damages though.

EDIT2: I would say the fact that permanent loss of data happened could strengthen the case and financial damages a good deal if it wasn't for
alex2 wrote:
ZanyHost Terms of Service wrote:Therefore you should make your own backups of all data you require, we hold no responsibility to loosing user data or settings on our services.
This is about as close to them saying "this is your fault not ours" as I can find in their terms of service (which is offline by the way).
Last edited by TechSY730 10 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Thissa

Post by Thissa »

Leet wrote:Oh geez the everything database is gonna have to be filled in with all those videos huh ._.
Yeah... in a perfect world, I'd build something to point it at the youtube api and pull the last 5 months of raocow's videos. Then the only manual process would be picking the game and episode number for each one.

Sadly that requires time I don't have. The entire app should be nuked from orbit and rewritten anyway - now that we're on a server that's actually up to date and will let you code with modern standards. If anyone wants to take it over be my guest.

With regards to the previous backup situation, ZanyHost didn't ever make any as far as I was aware of. I made personal backups of everything.raocow.com every few months (whenever I did a code change). Talkhaus never had any backups - the only reason we had this one at all is because TLs4 gave me the DB access to it back in June when we were trying to fix a bug, and I thought it wouldn't hurt to make one just in case... so if this whole fiasco had happened 6 months ago there wouldn't have been ANY talkhaus backups.
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

That's... That's just...

...I'm sure there are words for that degree of lazy incompetence but I just don't have it in me to think of them right now. I can't believe we had to be lucky to keep the forum's entire history from vanishing forever. That's...

...rrrrgh.
I don't really get it but okay
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Lesson learned, back up your stuff every month or two.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Thissa wrote:
With regards to the previous backup situation, ZanyHost didn't ever make any as far as I was aware of. I made personal backups of everything.raocow.com every few months (whenever I did a code change). Talkhaus never had any backups - the only reason we had this one at all is because TLs4 gave me the DB access to it back in June when we were trying to fix a bug, and I thought it wouldn't hurt to make one just in case... so if this whole fiasco had happened 6 months ago there wouldn't have been ANY talkhaus backups.

Hahahahahaha wow, okay, dude, I ow you a drink or something.

Hell, if you got any request for an lp, anything at all, I'll do it.

This goes for you too Rena.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

raocow wrote:This goes for you too Rena.
crap I missed the part where Rena was awesome where was that
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

AUS wrote:
raocow wrote:This goes for you too Rena.
crap I missed the part where Rena was awesome where was that
Here, in the first post:
Bwarch wrote:Speaking of which, a big thank you has to go to Rena. She's going to be hosting the Talkhaus from now on, costs and all. So give her a thank you for being willing to take on the task after zanyhost did a really, truly horrible job with hosting the talkhaus. Messages have gone unanswered for too long, hence why we had to go with a June backup.

Really, TLs4, Thissa, raocow and Rena are the reasons we got the Talkhaus back up, so hearty thanks should go out to each of them.)
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Leet wrote:Oh geez the everything database is gonna have to be filled in with all those videos huh ._.
That part will be tedious to fix up but it seems a fairly minor point compared to the lost attachments and posts honestly. In the case of everything.raocow the only thing lost was the videos being added to the database. Nothing else though, videos, titles, descriptions, etc. were lost though.
Aposke
Banned

Post by Aposke »

Well fuck everything.
I just realized we lost the best mafia game in history (WWII), too. This is depressing.
I really don't know what else to say, really. I guess this is all the more reason to be active now, eh?
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

I knew I should've saved the 2nd music contest fuck

Aposke
Banned

Post by Aposke »

Jesuis you are literally my favorite Talkhauser now.
Baragon
runs a noise label

Post by Baragon »

welcome back talkhaus I actually came here like twice (more than once) and got sad when it wasn't up
RyutheXIIIth

Post by RyutheXIIIth »

Well, RIP Hina thread for real then.

Damn.
NEW CONTENT COMING SOON
dashta

Post by dashta »

Wow... I cant believe I just found out TODAY this thing was back up, I used to peruse the talkhaus every day, it felt weird when this could not be a part of my normal schedule, I'm glad I didn't have to get used to it. Losing 6 months of data is absolutely devastating, but I'm personally just glad everybody is back, we can still achieve some semblance of normalcy, and I can again read people make silly posts about our cycloptic demon overlords.
VV My Channel, shameless advertising FTW! VV
http://www.youtube.com/user/daeshta?feature=mhee
GENERATION 26: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

I'm only doing this because Yonowaaru made me, blame him.
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

The data's lost huh? Geez, what an incompetant host. :/ Kinda crazy to think we'd have lost everything if not for a backup made on a whim.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

You know, now that I had to reupload a bunch of attachment files, the magnitude of this data loss become more apparent to me. Before this board was functional, I was eager for the June backup: we would have a board available with talkhaus history preserved, even though we would be missing a few recent months. And by the end of October, I was thinking that we should just set that up and not keep waiting for zanyhost, and maybe just merge data afterwards. But now that I look back, we really did lose a lot of content.

Maybe we should start removing broken avatars? Since the data is now lost, I don't think the broken uploads will be of much use.
Evolutionary

Post by Evolutionary »

Huzzah!
Mabel
Just west of wierd
https://marbels.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mabel »

Evolutionary wrote:Huzzah!
Image Image
AUS