(shouting)

Art Assets (models, textures, animations)

A 3D collab? Sure, why not?
Carltheshivan

Art Assets (models, textures, animations)

Post by Carltheshivan »

Let's talk about making the stuff of the game. As a 3D artist I am willing and eager to get started on making these things, but I don't know much about rom hacking, so here is my question. Since we're making this to be played on an emulator and most people's computers in The Year of Our Lord 2014 are much more powerful than the N64 (try playing an emulator with the FPS cap off) Is there any reason why we can't have higher detail models and higher resolution textures? Does the software put a hard limit on what we can do?

Feel free to use this thread as the primary discussion for arting in ASM64T.
Demolition

Re: Art Assets (models, textures, animations)

Post by Demolition »

Carltheshivan wrote:Let's talk about making the stuff of the game. As a 3D artist I am willing and eager to get started on making these things, but I don't know much about rom hacking, so here is my question. Since we're making this to be played on an emulator and most people's computers in The Year of Our Lord 2014 are much more powerful than the N64 (try playing an emulator with the FPS cap off) Is there any reason why we can't have higher detail models and higher resolution textures? Does the software put a hard limit on what we can do?

Feel free to use this thread as the primary discussion for arting in ASM64T.

This is the sort of stuff skelux has been able to pull of with Mario 64. He is the one making the importers though.

From what I recall (I guiltily admit I haven't done much Mario 64 stuff in a while) you should keep the polygon count under 9000. Pretty sure you can now go up to 20000 but over that things get weird. All textures have to be 32x32, 32x64 or 64x32. Levels can also be a lot larger than the ones in Mario 64.
Carltheshivan

Post by Carltheshivan »

Are you sure textures have to be so tiny? I've seen people using HD texture packs on Youtube. I don't think we'll need 20,000 polygons though (I assume that's per object and not per scene).
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

You should consider that while all PCs, even netbooks, are much, much, much more powerful than Nintendo 64s, they're also much more inefficient at running Nintendo 64 games than Nintendo 64s are. So while a computer may have, say, 20 times the power of a N64, it won't be able to run a N64 game at 20 times the framerate or even close to that.

Also, after considering that, you should consider not what the best PCs can do but what the average PC can do. I know a lot of people play emulators on non-gaming laptops since they're more portable and it's something to do on the train or the bus or whatever, so locking those people out with very high polygon counts wouldn't be the best idea.
Demolition

Post by Demolition »

Ok one of the easiest things to do with toads tool is edit enemy textures.
All you need is a rom and toads tool, the rest will take you seconds to figure out.
So if anyone wants to start submitting textures I'll add them to the base rom.

Once my schedule clears up a bit I'll livestream a tutorial and we can get started making levels.

The games alphabet is not included in the toadstool's texture editor If anyone wants to edit that here it is:
00804554.png
00804554.png (5.64 KiB) Viewed 5729 times