(shouting)

So Who Is Interested In Making "A Super ASMT 64" Levels?

A 3D collab? Sure, why not?
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Re: So Who Is Interested In Making "A Super ASMT 64" Levels?

Post by Sturg »

If we are going to do this thing, could we get a series of neat tutorials videos that was done for ASMBXT?

That is, if there aren't already some decent tutorial videos...
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
Demolition

Post by Demolition »

darkychao wrote:I wonder if it would be a good idea to just have a minecraft world converted into a obj and use that for a level...
I could totally set it up so bob-ombs are replaced with creepers for your level

sturgyman wrote:If we are going to do this thing, could we get a series of neat tutorials videos that was done for ASMBXT?

That is, if there aren't already some decent tutorial videos...
There are probably quite a few on YouTube, I think I might make a couple quick tutorials though, ones that just cut right to the chase.

I said in an earlier post that I would start level reservations on Friday, which I obviously haven't done. There a still a couple more steps that need to be ironed out I think.

I've realised that when all is said and done there will likely only be about 22 slots for levels. however, as I've said before the levels you can import are quite large. So I think we can circumvent these limitations by putting a ton of indoor levels into one map. I was thinking mainly for people who just want to make a level without bothering with toadstool which, I can agree, is pretty crap sometimes.

I think most levels should have 1-4 stars with the occasional big one with 6 or so. The star select screen will probably be removed from all levels, stars will instead be counted in the hub area. The game probably wont have the invisible or metal caps as demo causes the game to crash when she puts them on.

Mario 64 hacking is relatively new, so there probably wont be much ASM editing past the Demo model and title screen, that is unless there is an expert hidden somewhere in the forums, if so please speak up.
LaularuKyrumo

Post by LaularuKyrumo »

Doctor Shemp wrote:Oh, there's proof that chain chomps are feasible in large numbers. http://youtu.be/HhLOFqn6Idc
Well, not only is Kaizo Mario 64 "a steaming turd of a rom hack," it merely proves that you can have multiple chain chomps without crashing the game. It doesn't show what happens if you crack one loose. I noticed that he deleted the bars in front of the 6th star, I'm guessing that either means you can't reprogram the event, or that OmegaEdge is just too stupid to know how to do it.

I suppose I'll have to do Science to determine what can and can't be done with those guys.
"Excuse me, I should be allowed to play Kaizo of my own volition and then spend every episode complaining and asking "why did I play this???" while savescumming."
yogui
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Banned
First name: guy who made something

Post by yogui »

Demolition wrote:
darkychao wrote:I think most levels should have 1-4 stars with the occasional big one with 6 or so. The star select screen will probably be removed from all levels, stars will instead be counted in the hub area. The game probably wont have the invisible or metal caps as demo causes the game to crash when she puts them on.
No Metal Demo? Awww...
Why does it crash the game anyway? Is it because Demo has no arms so she can't put the hat on her head?
Yeah for the stars select screen since levels will have different number of stars it's better to remove them and put a sign or a Toad NPC before each level saying the name of the level, who made it and the number (and name maybe?) of stars in the level, like ASMBXT.
[enable_hats][/enable_hats]
LaularuKyrumo

Post by LaularuKyrumo »

Having zero experience in actually hacking SM64, my foolish opinion is that their aren't proper textures/models for Demo, so when the game looks for the files, they aren't there and the game explodes.

Just guessing. I'm sure with some diagnostics we could figure out just why the caps don't agree with her and fix it.
"Excuse me, I should be allowed to play Kaizo of my own volition and then spend every episode complaining and asking "why did I play this???" while savescumming."
🦆 RedMageSusie
Dancing with the moonlit knight

Post by RedMageSusie »

yogui wrote:
Demolition wrote:
darkychao wrote:I think most levels should have 1-4 stars with the occasional big one with 6 or so. The star select screen will probably be removed from all levels, stars will instead be counted in the hub area. The game probably wont have the invisible or metal caps as demo causes the game to crash when she puts them on.
No Metal Demo? Awww...
Why does it crash the game anyway? Is it because Demo has no arms so she can't put the hat on her head?
Yeah for the stars select screen since levels will have different number of stars it's better to remove them and put a sign or a Toad NPC before each level saying the name of the level, who made it and the number (and name maybe?) of stars in the level, like ASMBXT.
Freeing the Chain Chomps cause the game to crash. The couple romhacks that I played made sure you couldn't free them. I've also notice the romhacks never used the eel or sharks (except Kaizo but I don't really count that for obvious reasons...). I'm not sure if there's a problem with programming certain water creatures or if they just dropped them. I also noticed they had messages at certain checkpoints (e.g. 1 star, 3 stars, 8 stars, etc.), which makes it seem like some events are difficult to change.

I noticed a few limitations though. Stars in Bowser stages would always show the key animation when exiting the level. However, if you look up "Super Mario Star Road" you can see Skelux (the hacker) was able to get around having Bowser as a boss three times. I'm pretty sure with some creativity, we can figure out something unique.
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

Does the flying cap also make the game crash like the other two? Shame hacking is fairly new, though the only romhack I've seen was Mario Star Road, which was pretty damn good except for the odd super-laggy section in one of the levels.

Looking forward to more info and tutorials. :)
Demolition

Post by Demolition »

Xirix wrote:Does the flying cap also make the game crash like the other two? Shame hacking is fairly new, though the only romhack I've seen was Mario Star Road, which was pretty damn good except for the odd super-laggy section in one of the levels.

Looking forward to more info and tutorials. :)
wingcap works fine
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

Oh nice. I guess that makes sense, if the reason the other two aren't working is because they change the model.. or at least its textures, this just adds cute little wings to her head.
docopoper
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla non pharetra enim, nec maximus odio.
First name: Shane Farrell
Pronouns: they/he

Post by docopoper »

So, when are we going to actually start making levels? After the ASMBXT LP? Because I really want to make an even more sadistic version of Tick Tock Clock. :P
(my avatar feels so fitting now)
The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

Image <- Go team Yeah Doctor Shemp.!
Image <- That's everyone being nice to me. ^^

I made a game called Utter Confusion! Play it! :D
It's a lot of fun and has been incredibly popular at every indie game dev party I've brought it to.
Demolition

Post by Demolition »

docopoper wrote:So, when are we going to actually start making levels? After the ASMBXT LP? Because I really want to make an even more sadistic version of Tick Tock Clock. :P
(my avatar feels so fitting now)
My plan was to make tutorials first, you know, so people would know what they are doing.
there is a new level importer with a ton of new features coming out soon though, so I'm going to wait till that. If you want to make your level in the mean time however it would be good to get acquainted with the programs. Maybe post your progress and questions as you go along.
lukaramu
not lukaramu
First name: not lukaramu

Post by lukaramu »

If you really do this, now after seeing what happens in postgame of ASMBXT, PLEASE don't do those lax restrictions. Really, PLEASE!
Tsurugi

Post by Tsurugi »

Speaking of tutorials, is anyone actually interested in using Maya? It's a lot better suited for this kind of thing in my opinion, but with how simple the geometry is in an N64 game Sketchup is plenty good enough to get the job done.
docopoper
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla non pharetra enim, nec maximus odio.
First name: Shane Farrell
Pronouns: they/he

Post by docopoper »

I'll probably just wait for the tutorials.
The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

Image <- Go team Yeah Doctor Shemp.!
Image <- That's everyone being nice to me. ^^

I made a game called Utter Confusion! Play it! :D
It's a lot of fun and has been incredibly popular at every indie game dev party I've brought it to.
darkychao
Location: When you sleep there's a lesson you must learn: not for the lesson today, mate.

Post by darkychao »

So, since I'm actually working on the MineCraft based level (this mostly consists of scouring worlds in several different versions of the game to find an area that looks nice in a compact space) I was wondering if we had a resident guy what can make music for n64 so I could possibly ask that person to try and convert one of the MineCraft songs with witch to use in the level.
BeatBoxingBoo wrote:a medley is just, like, a mixture of medics
Check out my TF2 community workshop stuff:
Crust CrusherImage Crafty CutterImage PinheadImageThreadImage
If I didn't like anybody who had a different opinion than me on something I like I wouldn't have any friends.-Bwarch
Demolition

Post by Demolition »

darkychao wrote:So, since I'm actually working on the MineCraft based level (this mostly consists of scouring worlds in several different versions of the game to find an area that looks nice in a compact space) I was wondering if we had a resident guy what can make music for n64 so I could possibly ask that person to try and convert one of the MineCraft songs with witch to use in the level.
The music shouldn't be too hard.

The level itself should be more than just a straight forward Minecraft import. It should be somewhat linear Maybe starting at ground level and having an underground star and a sky star. I said before that bob-ombs can be creepers so you should keep that in mind. I think that a straight up minecraft level would seem out of place, I suggest filling It with ASMT references. That way instead of being completely out of the blue it will feel like it has it's place. Maybe demo pixel art or something.
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

If I wanted N64 music for my level would I still need to go the midi route with it, or is there a way to just extract it from the game and stick it into Mario 64?
Demolition

Post by Demolition »

Xirix wrote:If I wanted N64 music for my level would I still need to go the midi route with it, or is there a way to just extract it from the game and stick it into Mario 64?
What song?
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

I was thinking either something from Goldeneye or Perfect Dark, I've got my eye on 'Surface 1' from Goldeneye at the moment.
Demolition

Post by Demolition »

Xirix wrote:I was thinking either something from Goldeneye or Perfect Dark, I've got my eye on 'Surface 1' from Goldeneye at the moment.
This Guy's got a ton of Golden eye songs
His surface 1 import doesn't sound too good though imo
I'm not too sure about the others
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

Oh no that really doesn't do Surface 1 justice. So I assume I was right in that I still need to go the MIDI route? I guess I'll look around, there's bound to be plenty of MIDIs of that game's soundtrack.

There's at least one on VGMusic.com that sounds better than that one in MIDI.. what programs do I need to test conversion for myself? I'd like to just go wild with some MIDIs and see if I can get something nice sounding since I'm not actually making anything right now.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

The problem is that Goldeneye 64 and Super Mario 64 use instruments that, for the most part, sound nothing like each other. For starters, Mario doesn't have that sweet-as really dirty guitar, nor that super cool metallic echo thing (if it's not clear I'm a fan of the Goldeneye soundtrack). So it'll never sound close to it unless you're lucky. You might get lucky though: the start of that guy's Statue cover sounds very close. The rest, not so much. EDIT: His Runway cover has a solid start too and doesn't derail as much as Statue does.

Really you should think about what instrument sets Mario uses (or have a look at the documented ones in the importer) and then pick a track that will suit those instruments, rather than picking a track and hoping it fits.
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

Well I do want to try some other MIDis to see if they fit, if I can't get my initial picks to sound right naturally I'll move on. Do I just need the level importer to try music conversion?

If so, how do I expand my Mario 64 rom? It's not letting me open it as-is.
Demolition

Post by Demolition »

I could rip the instrument set for the song you want from goldeneye and replace a mario 64 instrument set with it, thats not unheard of. It might not sound very good though,we could set up the song in mario 64 with one of the lesser used instrument sets first and try after.
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

Anything's worth a try Demolition, thanks. :) If the just the general feel of the track can be captured, even if imperfect, I'd probably be happy with it. Go nuts.