(shouting)

So Who Is Interested In Making "A Super ASMT 64" Levels?

A 3D collab? Sure, why not?
Demolition

So Who Is Interested In Making "A Super ASMT 64" Levels?

Post by Demolition »

I kind of want to see if I can get this thing off the ground sooner rather than later.
So ya, plain and simple, post if you wish to make a level.
Dont worry about skills or learning something new or anything, if th interest is there than you can totaly make a level.

I think we have enough of an engine to get started with.
If you have any questions post them in the other ASA64 thread, I want a clear number.
I think ten or so people would be a good number to start with I guess, assuming others will join later.

Once again, If you have no prior toadstool knowledge dont worry, thats very easy to work around.
Last edited by Demolition 11 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Re: So Who Is Interested In Making "A Super ASMT 64" Levels?

Post by Xirix »

I'd be interested in making a level, however I have no 3D modelling knowledge. Fairly fast learner when it comes to programs though..
yogui
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Banned
First name: guy who made something

Post by yogui »

Interested.
If there is a good tutorial to how to use ToadTool and how to make 3D levels for SM64 with google ketchup, I'm in. I used the program for like 5 minutes and it seemed fun.
Don't except me to make a super great level though.
[enable_hats][/enable_hats]
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

Yup.
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

yogui wrote:google ketchup
Typo or not, it probably couldn't have been any better.

This sounds interesting, and I will give it my full support outside of actually contributing anything! Got to focus on a different collab soon, plus I have no idea how to make a 3D area look nifty. You do have my support though!
I don't really get it but okay
Redbone

Post by Redbone »

Not so confident in my abilities here but I'm interested!
exists on occasion
castlepokemetroid
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by castlepokemetroid »

I can animate and model in 3D using Autodesk Maya 2012, I am actually certified in Digital Media Arts, so I know a thing or two when it comes to that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeuBd3KhpW8

The reason why I don't make very many 3D animations is that I'm currently using a laptop that's not powerful enough to animate with Maya without crashing all the time.

I'm not too sure about programing or level designing in 3D, though...

If I were to make a level, most likely, it would probably become a pile of shoes in 3D...
-castlepokemetroid

I has raomations here
Tsurugi

Post by Tsurugi »

I'm not really interested in level design, but depending on what amount of free time I have, I might pick up an extra slot if there's room left over.

What I absolutely can do is model any sort of complex setpieces people might want or need, and I can make (tileable or just for object) textures for really anything. If someone (Demolition?) can give me a rundown on how you'd get that sort of thing in-game, chances are I can whip up custom enemies and animations, too.

If people want to make levels but don't know what they're doing in terms of 3D software, I can make a couple of quick Maya tutorials. You can get a free student version that has all the functionality of the full version if you have a .edu email address handy (which I'm not 100% sure you still need).
Demolition

Post by Demolition »

So this is looking good so far,
I think that I will wait until next friday and see how many people are interested by then, at that point i guess level reservations can begin. We can probably also start planning out the story/Hub/Title/music/anythingelse a bit after that as well.

Dont worry about past experiance or anything, once this gets going I can help whoever needs help, all i'm looking for now is interest.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Demolition wrote:So this is looking good so far,
I think that I will wait until next friday and see how many people are interested by then, at that point i guess level reservations can begin. We can probably also start planning out the story/Hub/Title/music/anythingelse a bit after that as well.

Dont worry about past experiance or anything, once this gets going I can help whoever needs help, all i'm looking for now is interest.
I had a look around the internet and music seems incredibly awkward. The channel limits and converting MIDIs into text files and importing all that is annoying but not too much - after all it's similar to the SMW process - but the fact that no-one's documented the instruments is a giant pain in the arse. You have to use trial and error to find out which MIDI instruments become which sounds in the game and furthermore which channels you can't use because they'll override SFX, none of which seems to be documented anywhere, and once you've done that for one level you're back to square one again because all that is inconsistent between levels!

That was kind of a rant but yeah, music seems to be really shitty to deal with. I'd be happy to contribute music to this like I am with AZCT, and the other composers probably would be too, but without that documentation it seems like a massive hassle.
Demolition

Post by Demolition »

Doctor Shemp wrote: I had a look around the internet and music seems incredibly awkward. The channel limits and converting MIDIs into text files and importing all that is annoying but not too much - after all it's similar to the SMW process - but the fact that no-one's documented the instruments is a giant pain in the arse. You have to use trial and error to find out which MIDI instruments become which sounds in the game and furthermore which channels you can't use because they'll override SFX, none of which seems to be documented anywhere, and once you've done that for one level you're back to square one again because all that is inconsistent between levels!

That was kind of a rant but yeah, music seems to be really shitty to deal with. I'd be happy to contribute music to this like I am with AZCT, and the other composers probably would be too, but without that documentation it seems like a massive hassle.
What program are you using to import the music?
Fraubers level importer's Music importer documents some of the instruments as well as SFX channels
I've imported a couple songs with only mild anoyance.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Demolition wrote:
Doctor Shemp wrote: I had a look around the internet and music seems incredibly awkward. The channel limits and converting MIDIs into text files and importing all that is annoying but not too much - after all it's similar to the SMW process - but the fact that no-one's documented the instruments is a giant pain in the arse. You have to use trial and error to find out which MIDI instruments become which sounds in the game and furthermore which channels you can't use because they'll override SFX, none of which seems to be documented anywhere, and once you've done that for one level you're back to square one again because all that is inconsistent between levels!

What program are you using to import the music?
Fraubers level importer's Music importer documents some of the instruments as well as SFX channels
I've imported a couple songs with only mild anoyance.
Oh wow really? Actually I was just going off the only tutorials I could find. If you could shoot me a link to that program with documentation and preferably a tutorial for it I'll take a look at it although with RL commitments I can't do very much at all considering I already have AZCT to work on. It'll be something for others though.
Demolition

Post by Demolition »

Doctor Shemp wrote:Oh wow really? Actually I was just going off the only tutorials I could find. If you could shoot me a link to that program with documentation and preferably a tutorial for it I'll take a look at it although with RL commitments I can't do very much at all considering I already have AZCT to work on. It'll be something for others though.
This video contains a link to the most up to date importer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giRrTidMSmQ
Here is a link to a site with the Mml2m64 converter, pretty sure you already have it though, contains a pretty good tutorial
https://sites.google.com/site/messiaen64/
Nabe
Still working on AZCT
https://nabe.talkhaus.com/

Post by Nabe »

Since 64 was more about worlds with multiple stars, maybe small groups per world would be a better approach (since there is still a limit on the total number of areas)? Rather than one person per star, or whatever.

Registering interest in contributing. I'm reasonably handy with art resources (models, textures) and would also love to help in planning or drawn concepts.

Running from now 'til Canada Day!
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

I wouldn't mind participating in level making(?) and testing. I can also think of a group to work with.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
darkychao
Location: When you sleep there's a lesson you must learn: not for the lesson today, mate.

Post by darkychao »

I wonder if it would be a good idea to just have a minecraft world converted into a obj and use that for a level...
BeatBoxingBoo wrote:a medley is just, like, a mixture of medics
Check out my TF2 community workshop stuff:
Crust CrusherImage Crafty CutterImage PinheadImageThreadImage
If I didn't like anybody who had a different opinion than me on something I like I wouldn't have any friends.-Bwarch
yogui
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Banned
First name: guy who made something

Post by yogui »

Nabe wrote:Since 64 was more about worlds with multiple stars, maybe small groups per world would be a better approach (since there is still a limit on the total number of areas)? Rather than one person per star, or whatever.
I think the best would be to make it like ASMBXT and A2MT, where people make there level how they want with the number of stars they want (from 1 to 6) and then at the end we put the levels in the hub in order of difficulty.
[enable_hats][/enable_hats]
Nabe
Still working on AZCT
https://nabe.talkhaus.com/

Post by Nabe »

yogui wrote:
Nabe wrote:Since 64 was more about worlds with multiple stars, maybe small groups per world would be a better approach (since there is still a limit on the total number of areas)? Rather than one person per star, or whatever.
I think the best would be to make it like ASMBXT and A2MT, where people make there level how they want with the number of stars they want (from 1 to 6) and then at the end we put the levels in the hub in order of difficulty.
That would be ideal. I'm more saying that the option should be open for people to collaborate on worlds if they want to, especially if they're really large, as that's a lot of logistical work for one person. I wouldn't want to see people decide not to participate or give up halfway through because the scope is daunting.

There's also an area limit based on the areas of the original game, I think about 30? So there's definitely room for low-star worlds or one-star cool things, just not a ton of them.

Running from now 'til Canada Day!
HarmfulGravemind
First name: Steve

Post by HarmfulGravemind »

I am interested, I have no idea how to make those, but hey, I can try!
LaularuKyrumo

Post by LaularuKyrumo »

Toad Tool definitely exists. I played around with it for about five minutes once upon a time, and this project is a good enough reason to officially get my feet wet with it. Count me in, baby.

Dibs on the obligatory chain-based level. :D
"Excuse me, I should be allowed to play Kaizo of my own volition and then spend every episode complaining and asking "why did I play this???" while savescumming."
KingTwelveSixteen
? Title Title Title Title ?

Post by KingTwelveSixteen »

LaularuKyrumo wrote:Toad Tool definitely exists. I played around with it for about five minutes once upon a time, and this project is a good enough reason to officially get my feet wet with it. Count me in, baby.

...Obligatory chain-based level? :|
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

LaularuKyrumo wrote:Toad Tool definitely exists. I played around with it for about five minutes once upon a time, and this project is a good enough reason to officially get my feet wet with it. Count me in, baby.

Are these chains attached to chomps and present in large numbers?
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

LaularuKyrumo wrote:Toad Tool
Toad's Tool. It's a pun.

Tempted by this project but I'd need to look at aforementioned Toadstool first, see if it works for me or not.
LaularuKyrumo

Post by LaularuKyrumo »

KingTwelveSixteen wrote:...Obligatory chain-based level? :|
Well, as a reference to how utterly dumbtastic the chains are in SMBX. Plus I'm sure I can get creative enough to actually pull it off and be viable.
Doctor Shemp wrote:Are these chains attached to chomps and present in large numbers?
Oddly enough, I hadn't thought of that. Sadly, I don't know how well it would work, as I haven't taken a look at the chain chomp sprite's details. I'm worried that I might have to hook them to indestructible posts, because they might require an event to trigger upon each one being freed.

Though if I could define my own event instead of what happens in vanilla SM64.... *Rubs hands together menacingly*
"Excuse me, I should be allowed to play Kaizo of my own volition and then spend every episode complaining and asking "why did I play this???" while savescumming."
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Doctor Shemp wrote:Are these chains attached to chomps and present in large numbers?
Oddly enough, I hadn't thought of that. Sadly, I don't know how well it would work, as I haven't taken a look at the chain chomp sprite's details. I'm worried that I might have to hook them to indestructible posts, because they might require an event to trigger upon each one being freed.

Though if I could define my own event instead of what happens in vanilla SM64.... *Rubs hands together menacingly*[/quote]

Oh, there's proof that chain chomps are feasible in large numbers. http://youtu.be/HhLOFqn6Idc
I wasn't genuinely suggesting anyone do anything like this. In fact Kaizo Mario 64 should really be a good guide in precisely what you shouldn't do when making levels for this game.