(shouting)

A Super ASMT 64

A 3D collab? Sure, why not?
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Re: A Super ASMT 64

Post by Xirix »

Could be a terrible twist like the end of 'The Prisoner' and have it be an evil raocow lookalike.
docopoper
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla non pharetra enim, nec maximus odio.
First name: Shane Farrell
Pronouns: they/he

Post by docopoper »

Haha, we need to replace Peach with Kood. :P
The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

Image <- Go team Yeah Doctor Shemp.!
Image <- That's everyone being nice to me. ^^

I made a game called Utter Confusion! Play it! :D
It's a lot of fun and has been incredibly popular at every indie game dev party I've brought it to.
Demolition

Post by Demolition »

Xirix wrote:
Could be a terrible twist like the end of 'The Prisoner' and have it be an evil raocow lookalike.
Evil raocow eats meat, gosh Xirix your speaking crazy. Vegies are good for blood, the blood god likes vegies
docopoper wrote:
Haha, we need to replace Peach with Kood. :P
Koopa the quick is Kood
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

KobaBeach wrote:
Xirix wrote:I PMed him and it seemed he had a bad experience with some of raocow's fans apparently so he stopped working on it, (...)
I blame his attempt at shoehorning in a power-up that turned Demo into Rainbow Dash.

if i ever make a fan game engine i'm totally going to add a power-up that turns demo into leomon because that's totally not a retarded concept in every single way
Honestly think it's a pretty good look for her, albeit entirely unnecessary. I reckon he did the Winged Demo as his own take on the wingcap, and then did the retexture purely because he's a fan, not trying to force it into the engine. Demo's gonna be getting wings to go with the existing wing cap animations in ASM64T anyway unless it can be replaced with the cape somehow. The shoes were totally unnecessary though given she's seen barefoot in every work featuring her thus far.
Cloaytonem2

Post by Cloaytonem2 »

BobisOnlyBob wrote:I reckon he did the Winged Demo as his own take on the wingcap, and then did the retexture purely because he's a fan, not trying to force it into the engine.
I thought that at first, but I saw a picture uploaded before it showing it already being in the engine.
Demolition

Post by Demolition »

So much talk about the brony and still no one has answered my questions about the oh so imperative plot
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Cloaytonem2 wrote:
BobisOnlyBob wrote:I reckon he did the Winged Demo as his own take on the wingcap, and then did the retexture purely because he's a fan, not trying to force it into the engine.
I thought that at first, but I saw a picture uploaded before it showing it already being in the engine.
siiiigh

Oh well. I'm guessing it's supposed to be SM64 Wing Cap + SMW Star in terms of power. It's really not looking great...
Demolition wrote:So much talk about the brony and still no one has answered my questions about the oh so imperative plot
"Dear Demo! Please come to a picnic with me. I've made a delicious range of salad for you. Yours truly, your secret admirer."

The role of villain and victim alike is Con from ASMT, who invited Demo with good intent, but [an evil force] has possessed him and scattered the delicious vegetables through a whole bunch of inexplicably hazardous nearby places that can be reached by [portal/pipe/painting].
Last edited by BobisOnlyBob 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Demolition

Post by Demolition »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: "Dear Demo! Please come to a picnic with me. I've made a delicious range of salad for you. Yours truly, your secret admirer."

The role of villain and victim alike is Con from ASMT, who invited Demo with good intent, but [an evil force] has possessed him and scattered the delicious vegetables through a whole bunch of inexplicably hazardous nearby places that can be reached by [portal/pipe/painting].
Con is possessed by blanc plague maybe?
The stars will likely remain stars not vegies.

I was actually talking about the A2mt plot, does anyone know the complete summery, what characters make appearances ect.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Demolition wrote:Con is possessed by blanc plague maybe?
The stars will likely remain stars not vegies.
Another Black Plague reference would be overdoing it at this point, but I'm sure we can dig up something hilariously stupid from raocow's LP history that's still funny for other players.

The story page for A2MT is here (spoilers abound), insofar as I understand. This may be old or out-of-date, but I think the fundamentals are the same. The plot thread is here; enjoy reading that mess!
Last edited by BobisOnlyBob 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

I don't know anything about A2MT, but I like the idea of Con being the bad guy, possessed or not.. secret admirers can easily become creepy stalkers.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Xirix wrote:I don't know anything about A2MT, but I like the idea of Con being the bad guy, possessed or not.. secret admirers can easily become creepy stalkers.
Exactly what I was going for. He's a good guy at heart, but weak enough for that desire to be manipulated by some arbitrary evil that probably wants revenge on Demo's master or something. Or it can just be Con gone evil because MAD SCIENCE and wanting revenge on Demo for "toying with his heart" and "abandoning him when there was so much he wanted to-". It's a play off Peach's "Please come to the castle" plot that gets spun into something seemingly more malicious, gives an excuse to use the recognizable rooftop Yoshi model with a few tweaks (Con is yellow and has a labcoat), and doesn't interfere with what I know of A2MT's plot.

Speaking of, apparently this document is the near-final version, but doesn't include any details on the conclusion or finale of this things. I'm assuming that Status Quo is God, so she'll pretty much free to wander off and do things of her own accord as and when she can come up with a suitable excuse to her master.
Demolition

Post by Demolition »

I've actually done a fair share of snooping in the past trying to piece together the story, so far the A2Mt story line seems a little meh, why exactly is Iris evil now? How many minions does Demo's master have to forget the one blue cyclops? Why do I care so deeply?

I kind of want to revisit Black Plagues story as he seemed to be planning something in ASMT that went totally unresolved, I saw some pictures and sprites for a boss called bubonic plague not sure what was up with that, maybe someone could elaborate?

I also like the Idea of Con being the main villain, He could have learnt evil science based on Black Plagues research on Demo's teleport machine in ASMT. This way we could resolve both unresolved ASMT plot threads in one fell swoop. Con could even try to kidnap Demo his own dark teleport Machine.

Here's my plot:
Demo gets surprise teleported back to the mushroom kingdom to find that the Yoshi's have completely taken over with con as their new king. Con has gone mad with power and wishes to take Demo as his queen, Demo refuses so Con casts her into the dungeon but forgets to lock the door (ala A2mt). Demo escapes to the ruins of peaches castle [pretense](brilliantly symbolizing just how far mushroom kingdom society has deteriated)[/pretense].
She eventually learns of the power stars and sets off to find them in an attempt to salvage a teleporter from the yoshis. This way the destroyed peaches castle can serve as the hub.

One suggested subtitle for "A2MT: The wrath of con" That would fit so well for this hack
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Demolition wrote:I've actually done a fair share of snooping in the past trying to piece together the story, so far the A2Mt story line seems a little meh, why exactly is Iris evil now? How many minions does Demo's master have to forget the one blue cyclops? Why do I care so deeply?
You clearly weren't reading it closely, so I'll spell it out -
Demo is a demon created by "The Artist" along with about 8 others, who are all considered siblings. The Artist is a melodramatic but creative mind who is clearly powerful enough to just create rather durable and intelligent (cycloptic) beings. Demo was at some point able to escape or be taken from him, and now serves an alien overlord who has a craving for vegetables. Iris, Demo's near-identical sibling, has been brainwashed by The Artist into kidnapping her sister so she can replace her and steal her "fame" somehow (playing on the old Mario-Luigi spotlight thing). Demo's master aka. "The Master" is a mad fool who somehow seems to be a competent space overlord, but at the same time considers a control room to be a suitable place to store vegetables. Presumably Demo and his other minions, whoever they may be, keep the whole operation running fine and don't mind his benevolent dictatorship while putting up with his idiosyncrasies.
Anyway, if you've read that it should be pretty clear how Demo can feasibly wander off for random adventures. Her master doesn't even know Demo by name, remember, and she probably gets sufficient shore leave to go teleport places of her own accord, or investigate strange letters with promises of vegetables. In fact, in that case she'd probably go to throw the letter away only for her Master to order her to investigate it (because vegetables).
Demolition wrote:
Demo gets surprise teleported back to the mushroom kingdom to find that the Yoshi's have completely taken over with con as their new king. Con has gone mad with power and wishes to take Demo as his queen, Demo refuses so Con casts her into the dungeon but forgets to lock the door (ala A2mt). Demo escapes to the ruins of peaches castle [pretense](brilliantly symbolizing just how far mushroom kingdom society has deteriated)[/pretense].
She eventually learns of the power stars and sets off to find them in an attempt to salvage a teleporter from the yoshis. This way the destroyed peaches castle can serve as the hub.

One suggested subtitle for "A2MT: The wrath of con" That would fit so well for this hack
Sounds good, although it suggests you'd rather make something in the style of "Kaizo Mario 64" than "Super Mario 74", re-using a modified version of the existing overworld and level entrances rather than doing a new overworld from scratch. If you're more comfortable doing that it's okay, but I don't think it'd be as good as designing a properly weird setting more suited to the "Demo/A Thing" universe.

I think we should keep the plot far simpler than re-hashing the King-in-love-with-Demo thing from ASMT, or the miserable-security-prison of A2MT, which is why I suggested an invitation to a picnic as the plot impetus. Rather than being thrown into a dungeon, she arrives at the coordinates on the letter (which can be just about any loosely Mushroom Kingdom environment you like - Peach's Castle, an open field, a 3D recreation of the Resistance Base from ASMT, a giant boat in the middle of nowhere) and can't teleport back out because of either [evil power] or a teleporter suppression field. She then has to wander about to find the cause of this, finding portals which seem to be the source of the problem, which lead into the various worlds. By stealing the stars within, she's able to open up doors to more portals, and vaguely investigate whoever it was that tried to trap her there, mostly just eager to get out of another ridiculous place full of murderous critters. She ultimately has to defeat and/or free Con from evil, and somehow return to her master with a salad.
Demolition

Post by Demolition »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: Sounds good, although it suggests you'd rather make something in the style of "Kaizo Mario 64" than "Super Mario 74", re-using a modified version of the existing overworld and level entrances rather than doing a new overworld from scratch. If you're more comfortable doing that it's okay, but I don't think it'd be as good as designing a properly weird setting more suited to the "Demo/A Thing" universe.

I think we should keep the plot far simpler than re-hashing the King-in-love-with-Demo thing from ASMT, or the miserable-security-prison of A2MT, which is why I suggested an invitation to a picnic as the plot impetus. Rather than being thrown into a dungeon, she arrives at the coordinates on the letter (which can be just about any loosely Mushroom Kingdom environment you like - Peach's Castle, an open field, a 3D recreation of the Resistance Base from ASMT, a giant boat in the middle of nowhere) and can't teleport back out because of either [evil power] or a teleporter suppression field. She then has to wander about to find the cause of this, finding portals which seem to be the source of the problem, which lead into the various worlds. By stealing the stars within, she's able to open up doors to more portals, and vaguely investigate whoever it was that tried to trap her there, mostly just eager to get out of another ridiculous place full of murderous critters. She ultimately has to defeat and/or free Con from evil, and somehow return to her master with a salad.
My plan was for the hub to be Peaches Castle with a Post apocalyptic coat of Paint and more warps, no changes to the layout itself. except for outside that is, I want that to change.

I don't think the plot is very complicated, Its just your average hero needs to defeat villain story, most of the plot will be explained in a little intro movie AVI. That way folks who don't care about the game can just Play it without any plot or anything past some dialog boxes.
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

After being perhaps.. 'spoiled' by Mario Star Road's hubmap I don't know how I feel about using the same layout as the original Mario 64 castle, isn't half the fun of a Mario 64 game exploring the hub, finding secrets.. having lots of flavour everywhere?
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

Yeah, a new or original hub would be more interesting. If it's just still the usual castle, there's not as much to explore, and exploring is one of my favorite things to do in hub worlds.

...Come to think of it, there's really not much else to do in hub worlds.
I don't really get it but okay
Demolition

Post by Demolition »

cheez8 wrote:Yeah, a new or original hub would be more interesting. If it's just still the usual castle, there's not as much to explore, and exploring is one of my favorite things to do in hub worlds.

...Come to think of it, there's really not much else to do in hub worlds.
The main reason is to save space, You cant overwrite the castle inside area on the rom so its basically going to waste, on top of that it can be moded to contain a ton of warps, so instead or taking up >2 new level slots for the hub we instead take up 0.

Maybe the castle courtyard could be all destroyed and turned into a full level, that would give lots of exploration plus a star.
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

Mario star road did a pretty good job of a different hubworld and a crapton of levels. How many level slots are there in total?
Demolition

Post by Demolition »

Xirix wrote:Mario star road did a pretty good job of a different hubworld and a crapton of levels. How many level slots are there in total?
Mario star road was made by skelux who is by far the most advanced Mario 64 hacker still active.
He's actually working on the next importer which will allow more level to imports. However, inside the castle can be patched from something like 10 warps to over a hundred warps, making it a key hub area.
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

Whoa, that's quite a number, I can see your stance on this a bit clearer now. I'd still prefer a new hubworld, but I'll leave it at that for now, it's early days yet.

By the by, is it super-hard to learn to make 3D models to replace enemies or the 'tileset'? Are we going to get some dedicated peeps onboard to make such things, I know you're making things and are going to import a creeper for the minecraft level and all that, but wouldnt' having just one person making models be overwhelming?
Demolition

Post by Demolition »

Xirix wrote:Whoa, that's quite a number, I can see your stance on this a bit clearer now. I'd still prefer a new hubworld, but I'll leave it at that for now, it's early days yet.

By the by, is it super-hard to learn to make 3D models to replace enemies or the 'tileset'? Are we going to get some dedicated peeps onboard to make such things, I know you're making things and are going to import a creeper for the minecraft level and all that, but wouldnt' having just one person making models be overwhelming?
So far the models aren't showing up in game, apparently it's a problem with the current importer not the objects themselves. I'm going to wait for the next importer before bothering with all that crap.
There are a limited number of models that can be imported in so we should keep custom objects to a minimum. I'm not sure what you mean by "tileset", Pretty much every Mario 64 texture can be edited and levels can contain any number of whole new textures as well, so ya.
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

I didn't know the equivalent word for tileset for a 3D game. ^^, I probably ment textures, I mean the environment, to quote a certain mario 64 hack again, he had a level that looked like a Mario World castle for example, stuff like that.
yogui
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Banned
First name: guy who made something

Post by yogui »

Yes it's texture. Basically they are 32x32 images that repeat themselves. With ToadTool you can import/export .png images and use them as a texture, some examples here. Also that's the only thing I know a bit about sm64hacking since I've entered a small texture contest for fun (see previous url I posted).
[enable_hats][/enable_hats]
Demolition

Post by Demolition »

Xirix wrote:I didn't know the equivalent word for tileset for a 3D game. ^^, I probably ment textures, I mean the environment, to quote a certain mario 64 hack again, he had a level that looked like a Mario World castle for example, stuff like that.
It's a complete non-issue, the textures are on your imported model will be used in game (as long as they are 32x32, 32x64, or 64x32). The textures already In the game can be edited through other means.
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

Oh that's neat, I need to start brainstorming what I want for a level. But on the subject of limited models....
We are pretty much obliged to try and make an awesome Big Boo modification right? Though making something cute in Mario 64 might be.. challenging
Also what's the situation on music in the game? Is it possible to convert an mp3 to work with it, or does it need to be something lower-tech?