(shouting)

A Super ASMT 64

A 3D collab? Sure, why not?
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Re: A Super ASMT 64

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Xirix wrote:Oh that's neat, I need to start brainstorming what I want for a level. But on the subject of limited models....
We are pretty much obliged to try and make an awesome Big Boo modification right? Though making something cute in Mario 64 might be.. challenging
Also what's the situation on music in the game? Is it possible to convert an mp3 to work with it, or does it need to be something lower-tech?
I've had another look at the music and the most current system seems to be:
1. Find a MIDI that doesn't have too many channels (I think 7?)
2. Use a tool to convert it to MML and guess what channels it should be.
3. Use a tool to convert it to M64 and patch it in.
4. Listen in game and hope it sounds right and doesn't override any sound effects. If it doesn't, go back to 2 and change the instruments.
For extra fun, which instrument is which and which channels have sfx change for each level and very few of them are documented even slightly.
Demolition

Post by Demolition »

Doctor Shemp wrote: For extra fun, which instrument is which and which channels have sfx change for each level and very few of them are documented even slightly.
LEVEL IMPORTER
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Demolition wrote:
Doctor Shemp wrote: For extra fun, which instrument is which and which channels have sfx change for each level and very few of them are documented even slightly.
LEVEL IMPORTER
What is that program? Why is my google-fu inadequate? You only have to answer the first question.
Demolition

Post by Demolition »

Doctor Shemp wrote:
Demolition wrote:
LEVEL IMPORTER
What is that program? Why is my google-fu inadequate? You only have to answer the first question.

The most up to date one is downloadable from the description in this you tube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giRrTidMSmQ
Apparently it's currently glitched so more complex tracks wont work

https://sites.google.com/site/messiaen64/level-importer
here is an older version that allows complex tracks but isn't compatible with newer versions

https://sites.google.com/site/supermari ... -downloads
here are some pre-made music imports
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Ok, I've had a look and I stand by my earlier claim: there's only complete documentation for 5 instrument sets and partial documentation for another 5, out of a total of 37.

It still seems that if I was writing something rather than just taking someone else's work then a substantial amount of time would be spent on trial-and-error fiddling with sounds rather than actually writing unless the instruments I wanted happened to match exactly with one of the documented instrument sets.

I'd be happy to try and write music for this like I am with AZCT but probably not for another month-and-a-half at least. This project seems like it will take a fair amount of time to do though, so maybe that's still feasible.
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

Doctor Shemp wrote: I'd be happy to try and write music for this like I am with AZCT but probably not for another month-and-a-half at least. This project seems like it will take a fair amount of time to do though, so maybe that's still feasible.
This is good to know, having someone who knows what they're doing when it comes to music will be super-useful for music tracks that haven't really been made into MIDIs.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Xirix wrote:This is good to know, having someone who knows what they're doing when it comes to music will be super-useful for music tracks that haven't really been made into MIDIs.
If you're looking for existing tracks, nearly everything has a MIDI version of it somewhere. Implementing it into the game in a way that sounds good seems to be the much harder part.
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

You'd be surprised the amount of music I tried to find in MIDI when I was playing around with SMW hacking that doesn't exist.
darkychao
Location: When you sleep there's a lesson you must learn: not for the lesson today, mate.

Post by darkychao »

Well so, I made a midi for my level, and then I tried to convert it using mml2m64 and I get a whole bunch of "Invalid Instrument" errors and then when I try to input it into the game it's silent, what am I doing wrong?
BeatBoxingBoo wrote:a medley is just, like, a mixture of medics
Check out my TF2 community workshop stuff:
Crust CrusherImage Crafty CutterImage PinheadImageThreadImage
If I didn't like anybody who had a different opinion than me on something I like I wouldn't have any friends.-Bwarch
Demolition

Post by Demolition »

darkychao wrote:Well so, I made a midi for my level, and then I tried to convert it using mml2m64 and I get a whole bunch of "Invalid Instrument" errors and then when I try to input it into the game it's silent, what am I doing wrong?
I don't know,
If you give me the midi/m64/ect. files I could try my hand at importing them
darkychao
Location: When you sleep there's a lesson you must learn: not for the lesson today, mate.

Post by darkychao »

Demolition wrote:
darkychao wrote:Well so, I made a midi for my level, and then I tried to convert it using mml2m64 and I get a whole bunch of "Invalid Instrument" errors and then when I try to input it into the game it's silent, what am I doing wrong?
I don't know,
here's the midi and the m64 file.
If I didn't like anybody who had a different opinion than me on something I like I wouldn't have any friends.-Bwarch
Demolition

Post by Demolition »

darkychao wrote:
Demolition wrote:
I don't know,
here's the midi and the m64 file.
How does this sound?
does it sound randomly generated?
I think the problem is with the original Midi file
I'll try remaking the song from scratch and see how that sounds
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Demolition wrote:How does this sound?
"Hey, that sounds okaaAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH"

darkychao

Post by darkychao »

Demolition wrote:I think the problem is with the original Midi file
I'll try remaking the song from scratch and see how that sounds
I'll try to redo it as well, it think I have some idea of what's going wrong.
darkychao

Post by darkychao »

Alrighty then: I've managed to *cough x2* "fix" the music somewhat, now when imported into the game rather than being complete scilence or what seems like a random jumble of notes from the original song, it has now been upgaded to ear scrapeing mess, but an ear scrapeing mess that almost sounds like it's attempting to sound the actual song, fun times!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^here is what it sounds like, listen at your own risk
Demolition

Post by Demolition »

darkychao wrote:Alrighty then: I've managed to *cough x2* "fix" the music somewhat, now when imported into the game rather than being complete scilence or what seems like a random jumble of notes from the original song, it has now been upgaded to ear scrapeing mess, but an ear scrapeing mess that almost sounds like it's attempting to sound the actual song, fun times!

Could you give me the Midi/MML?
I can fix this.
darkychao

Post by darkychao »

Demolition wrote:
darkychao wrote:Alrighty then: I've managed to *cough x2* "fix" the music somewhat, now when imported into the game rather than being complete scilence or what seems like a random jumble of notes from the original song, it has now been upgaded to ear scrapeing mess, but an ear scrapeing mess that almost sounds like it's attempting to sound the actual song, fun times!

I can fix this.
Here yah go.
Demolition

Post by Demolition »

darkychao wrote:
Demolition wrote:

I can fix this.
Here yah go.
I actually mainly wanted the MMl
darkychao

Post by darkychao »

Demolition wrote:I actually mainly wanted the MMl
okay
Demolition

Post by Demolition »

darkychao wrote:
okay
O.k. it turns out I only needed the Midi
try this out with instrument set 37
darkychao

Post by darkychao »

Demolition wrote:
darkychao wrote:
okay
O.k. it turns out I only needed the Midi
try this out with instrument set 37
sounds good!
Demolition

Post by Demolition »

darkychao wrote: sounds good!
Mind posting some (spoiled) screenshots of your minecraft 64 level?
darkychao

Post by darkychao »

Demolition wrote:
darkychao wrote: sounds good!
Mind posting some (spoiled) screenshots of your minecraft 64 level?
Well, as I'm still working on the level, I could show you some screenshots from inside minecraft.
🦆 RedMageSusie
Dancing with the moonlit knight

Post by RedMageSusie »

Question: How do sub-areas work, i.e. The Pyramid, Igloo, etc.?

Is there a limit to how many of those sub areas you can make, or could we theoretically make a massive level hubs with people contributing many sub-levels for each?
Demolition

Post by Demolition »

RedMageMike wrote:Question: How do sub-areas work, i.e. The Pyramid, Igloo, etc.?

Is there a limit to how many of those sub areas you can make, or could we theoretically make a massive level hubs with people contributing many sub-levels for each?
The sub areas are to my knowledge currently uneditable, the main levels are all there is to work with. That said the levels can be very huge and very detailed (20,000 polygons) so me can reserve two levels for indoor sub areas and have other levels go to mini levels in there. The levels have limited warps though so I don't think massive hubs would work.
8flight wrote:Does anybody know where i can download the ROM to edit levels? I probably want to make one level for this.
I'm fairly sure that linking to ROMs is frowned upon. Google is your friend, just Google "super Mario 64 rom" and bam. I'll post some tutorials later that will detail prepping the rom ect. you can probably figure that out on your own though.