(shouting)

Level tweaking and QA (next: JUMP v1.04)

A vanilla VIP-like smw collab!
aterraformer

Re: Level tweaking and QA (next: JUMP v1.02)

Post by aterraformer »

markyjoe1990 wrote:I'm gonna edit two of my levels the moment I get a chance. They need to be nerfed slightly. I'll get back to you guys when it's done.
Will you be readding the midpoint to Crumbles?
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
markyjoe1990

Post by markyjoe1990 »

There we go. I nerfed the final stage I created for the hack. The changes I made are not very noticeable, but have a lot of impact.

As for Crumbling's midpoint... It's too short to have one IMO, and I've seen people beat it on their first try blind, so I'm inclined not to do it.
Attachments
Super Grand Ultra Marathon Of Epic Finalness.zip
(5.99 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

Anyone else think it should have a midpoint?
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
Ryrir
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Ryrir »

aterraformer wrote:Anyone else think it should have a midpoint?
+1
I Suggest replacing that one mushroom which you have to reach by jumping on a spiny with a midpoint.

I'll play through the changes in v1.02 when I have time later today.
this is getting laundromatic
markyjoe1990

Post by markyjoe1990 »

Okay fiiiine, I'll add a checkpoint
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

Midway flags that weren't used in original levels (including your level), were used instead for the midpoints of other extra levels not in 1-24 or 101-13B. In your case, the midway was used in 1F8.
I will fix this problem but just wanted to say that technically it won't be activated if you try it for now.
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

Wow, I really like these edits! I feel like some of the more frustrating stuff has been removed and some early game levels are now more appropriate in difficulty.
I especially like the changes in Misc Monument, I feel like this can be an actual super fun level now that you don't have to repeat every thing all the time (:
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

markyjoe1990 wrote:There we go. I nerfed the final stage I created for the hack. The changes I made are not very noticeable, but have a lot of impact.
I found that three dragon coins were removed, while the other two at the end of the level remain. I'd ask to not discard dragon coins, because of the compatibility problem of the save files of old versions.
How about this instead? I assumed you want to remove the problem of the previous dragon coin challenge.
[attachment=0]dc.png[/attachment]
Attachments
dc.png
dc.png (13.63 KiB) Viewed 7513 times
markyjoe1990

Post by markyjoe1990 »

My bad. I went and fixed up the level. I tossed a midway point in Crumbling as well. It's at 0C, replacing the mushroom as Ryrir suggested.

So yeah, hopefully this fixes all the problems my levels had before.

Oh wait, that's right, I have to fix that other level I made, "Coin Guides Are Always Accurate!"

*Sigh*

This is gonna be a doozy. I'm prolly gonna have to completely remake the stage.
Attachments
14 & 2.zip
(9.17 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

markyjoe1990 wrote: a midway point in Crumbling
Because spinning should be kept originally, I'm guessing something like this would make sense?
[attachment=0]spin.png[/attachment]

The redesigned coin guide level may be included in v1.03, if it's expected to take a while. So you don't have to hurry. On the other hand v1.02 is supposed to be released as soon as possible; before raocow reaches the ghost house of the ice world (the best scenario)
Attachments
spin.png
spin.png (14.89 KiB) Viewed 7494 times
markyjoe1990

Post by markyjoe1990 »

Oh. Yeah. Put those spin jump blocks there. Man, it's been a while...
markyjoe1990

Post by markyjoe1990 »

Completely redesigned the Coin Guides level with the help of Lolyoshi. I changed text, but included it in the zip folder so you can easily reinsert it.

This time around, I aimed to make the level more intuitive, and to provide more time for the player to react. The secret exit hasn't been done yet, however, so don't play it. It's as unfair as it was before.

Feedback is appreciated, since I remade it all in four hours.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/357 ... %20128.zip
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

Good job on redesigning the level nicely, definitely better than the previous one. Just one thing; move the dragon coin from the boundary to prevent the glitch.
[attachment=0]7f.png[/attachment]
Attachments
7f.png
7f.png (5.58 KiB) Viewed 7468 times
Isocitration

Post by Isocitration »

Found a slight issue with respawning in Chains of Atrophy. In the second to last section (level 80, area with moles and pokeys) dying and respawning will remove the water from the area. This has the added side effect of making the section quite a bit easier! The water is restored when using a reset pipe, but hopefully a proper fix can be made?
raocow wrote:you are dommed iso.
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

Oh. I just made a silly mistake, should be fixed right now. Thanks for notifying this!
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

Sorry for the double posting.
Here's the current ROM. Even more things have been changed (see the changelog).

Ver 1.02 (second)

The dragon coin glitch in the coin guide level is still left. Other than that, I found no issues until now (maybe other overlooked things exist).
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

Could you fix the part of Spring Green where you can wall run through the roof (level 138, roof on screen 03)?
dont wanna jihad no more
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

morsel/morceau wrote:Could you fix the part of Spring Green where you can wall run through the roof (level 138, roof on screen 03)?
Feature
Isocitration

Post by Isocitration »

This doesn't need to be fixed, but there is an odd glitch that can occur due to there being a boss battle in level 18 (Palatable Perturbation). If the next level you visit after beating that boss contains a yoshi, yoshi will be glitched and you can die in an unusual way. Returning to the overworld in any way will fix the glitch however, so the chances of encountering it are very low.

Here's a video of someone accidentally encountering the glitch during one of the unlockable movies (thankfully there is a fail safe in place, but it's amusing nonetheless): http://www.twitch.tv/nathanisbored/v/46978176
raocow wrote:you are dommed iso.
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

ROM Map wrote:$048DDA 1 byte Misc. Change to 80 to fix a rather odd bug caused by playing a level immediately after beating a boss in Sunken Ghost Ship's original level (level 018), in which Yoshi will display extremely strangely and goal tapes/spheres will stop Mario rather than making him walk.
Oh, maybe this is the thing.
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

worldpeace125 wrote:
Is it intended that in the second half of Disco Dance Party, yellow switch blocks are placed using map16? You can get mushrooms without needing to press the yellow switch.
Not sure if it's intended or overlooked by ravegg.
Well, he seems to be active recently, so let's just ping him or something
ravegg wrote:yo we have a question about disco dance party
ravegg

Post by ravegg »

worldpeace125 wrote:
Is it intended that in the second half of Disco Dance Party, yellow switch blocks are placed using map16? You can get mushrooms without needing to press the yellow switch.
Not sure if it's intended or overlooked by ravegg.
Whoops that was unintentional, and was probably just something I used for testing purposes. You can replace that with the actual blocks.
I make puzzles for games sometimes check em -> Steam Workshop
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

I'm uploading the next version of JUMP (v1.02) before this weekend is over, as I promised.

Download JUMP v1.02

If there's no extra modifications in 1-2 days, this will be officially released on other places.
worldpeace125

Re: Level tweaking and QA (next: JUMP v1.03)

Post by worldpeace125 »

Updated levels that I received, and fixed a glitch.

Link to get v1.03
markyjoe1990

Re: Level tweaking and QA (next: JUMP v1.03)

Post by markyjoe1990 »

I procrastinated, but I finally finished updating Coin Guides Are Always accurate. Both the normal and secret exits should be much more pleasant now.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/357 ... %20128.zip

Aterraformer gave me a few notes about each, so it's possible I'll make minor updates in the future, but for now, I just want to have the better version of the stage to be up before more people are exposed to the original.

I should probably mention that the other levels may or may not have gotten very subtle, small updates. I recall putting an extra mushroom in crumbling your problems away because I replaced one with a midpoint and you don't get a single power up after the mid point. Super Grand Ultra Marathon got minor changes as well. Mainly just making part 3 and 4 easier by very slight amounts... but I think I already mentioned this before.