(shouting)

Level tweaking and QA (next: JUMP v1.04)

A vanilla VIP-like smw collab!
worldpeace125

Re: Level tweaking and QA (finalization phase)

Post by worldpeace125 »

morsel/morceau wrote:In the savestate, entering the star sends you to the bonus game.
Super Mario World (U) [!].zip
Did you disable any cheat codes? (I wanted to test the stars quickly).
That's weird. Since the layer 1 tile is obviously a star, entering the level shouldn't be possible. I think the ram of the tile is somehow set to a wrong value after the map is loaded. Will check it soon.

I used the space of cheat codes as a freespace. There's a replacement in asar_patch.asm instead.
At line 3421, modify the code like this:

Code: Select all

; DEBUGGER
org $00A233
autoclean JML BeatCheat
Pressing start will beat the level after applying this. Pressing X?(I forgot) + start will activate the secret exit.
Note that the cheat won't work in Aquiferic Pressure.[/spoiler]
This savestate shows a crash.
1Super Mario World (U) [!].zip
It's our notorious incompatibility between addmusick and zsnes, which is also observed in other hacks using addmusick.

By downsizing the overhead, I tried to reduce its frequency as possible as I can (because it's a kind of desynchronization between two processors). It's rare but keep happening(when moving from world 1 map to the overworld for the first time).

I couldn't handle the issue frequently happening in 2p mode. Maybe we should disable 2p in the worst case. Using zsnes detecting routine, it may be possible to support 2p mode in other emulators except zsnes.

EDIT: or, I could make the music loaded after overworld loading stuffs (only in zsnes)
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

Yeah, it would be a shame to lose 2p just because of zsnes.

Proofread the texts (I did it in LM, so sorry if any are not used)
007-2 hot-ish - should be "hottish"

014-2 dragon Coins - capitalise both or neither (probably neither is better)

018-1 Strawberry - doesn't need capital

10F-1 it's - should be "its"

119-1 can't the kill - should be "can't kill"

11C-2 fist of heavens - "fist of heaven" or "fist of the heavens"?

11F-2 fsm - I'd capitalise or write "the flying..."

121-1 innocents - should be "innocent"

128-1 the full stop should be a comma

12C-1 in into - should be "it into"

BOSS SEQUENCE

2 108 defilements including sadism - I think it should be "the 108 defilements, including sadism"

3 Mario has only
proved that he was only - remove one of the "onlies" (probably the first one)
on thin ice

What
Mario must worry now is - "must worry about now" or "What must worry Mario now" (probably the first)
'The Cliff'

5 'gods' - capitalise

lord Bowser - "Lord Bowser" or "lord, Bowser"
dont wanna jihad no more
Ryrir
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Ryrir »

Land of the Jolly Tan still has six dragoncoins, maybe you want to remove one, because they play a lager role in the game and you wouldn't want to confuse the player?

Also, I'm not sure about some of the secret exits and what they unlock. For example in Peek-A-Boo, the "secret" exit with the boo battle leads back onto the main path, and the normal exit to the path with the yellow switch. Shouldn't it be reversed? I'm not sure about the first red level of world one either, I think the normal exit should unlock the path to Jolpes level, so access to the secret level gets easier?
Maybe you should generally check again which exit unlocks what?

(Not like it makes a huge difference, because most players are going for 100% anyways, but still, some of the choices seem illogical to me)

Edit: After thinking about it, I realise that there are arguments for both sides about the secret exit thing. It's probably fine as it is. Forget I said anything (:
this is getting laundromatic
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

Ryrir wrote:Land of the Jolly Tan still has six dragoncoins, maybe you want to remove one, because they play a lager role in the game and you wouldn't want to confuse the player?
I just left them because I knew some people deliberately put more than 5 dragon coins in their levels. But if 6 dragon coins in this game may confuse players, I will remove one.
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

Could you lower the spikes on screen 03 of level 55 one tile (if you're big, you can get killed instantly sometimes by the hole making them non-solid and pushing you down).

Had to put a solid block later to fix a similar glitch, so here is the level:
dont wanna jihad no more
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Ahh! I'm glad that you were the one to edit Think fast! worldpeace. I like what you done with it. You can be sure to say that we both made this level in the credits if youd like. :)
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

I'm also glad that you liked it. ;)

All what I did were just replacing some enemies and putting urchin parts, and the entire level frame is almost same as the original. I thought that claiming myself as the author is kinda immoral, and I'm still okay if I'm not getting credited.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

I was afraid to see how it would be changed, but I liked the video, then noticed that you were the one who changed it. I have faith in your design though, Cool Or Cruel and your other work are amazing. :)
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

It seems the product is ready for release now. The hack and its trailer will be available soon.

This will be the final changelog before the official release.
lolyoshi wrote:
in AA, you can die by the layer 2 if you screen scroll when the pipe rises.

Fixed.

Jolpengammler wrote:
I actually just noticed a thing in Bowser's castle.
you can get stuck in the second choice room if you spindestroy all the yellow bricks, you should change 2 of them into coin blocks or sth. in the final release

Fixed.

Nin wrote:
I replayed my level and decided to attempt to redesign the final segment. Can I redesign it?

Inserted.

morsel/morceau wrote:
In the savestate, entering the star sends you to the bonus game.

Fixed.

worldpeace125 wrote:
It's our notorious incompatibility between addmusick and zsnes,

Fixed. BGM will be loaded at different moment. Now I'm pretty sure there will be no crash during map to map or player transition.

anonymousbl00dlust wrote:
JUMP_pre_fix.zip

Inserted. Also I made the music not restart when mario's dead in your level.

morsel/morceau wrote:
Proofread the texts

Fixed.

Ryrir wrote:
Land of the Jolly Tan still has six dragoncoins, maybe you want to remove one, because they play a lager role in the game and you wouldn't want to confuse the player?

Fixed.

morsel/morceau wrote:
55.zip

Inserted.

To handle the zsnes crash problem, I used the zsnes detecting method in this patch: http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=section&a=details&id=11260

Inserted the warning screen with the patch:
[attachment=0]JUMP_00000.png[/attachment]

There were some sections supposed to be tweaked, which I forgot. New modifications:
- Fixed the grinder part at screen 1A in level 71
- Put a boo block at screen 02 in level 43 where you had to do a long jump to the left which was kinda blind.
- Removed two skulls of four at screen 00(level 43) where skulls push mario to the left frustratingly when he's under the 1-tile space.
- Fixed slowdown in level B9.
- Made the fast retry possible in level B1 and BB where jump isn't allowed.
Attachments
JUMP_00000.png
JUMP_00000.png (2.66 KiB) Viewed 7889 times
Heraga

Post by Heraga »

Will the ASM patches made for this hack (7th and 8th OW and the ability to lock levels like in World E) ever be plubicly released outside of JUMP?
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

ASM hacks which can be inserted independently will be released, like the dragon coin patch.
Some patches which require hardcoding for customization, won't be released. For example, the additional submap requires you to write extra code for your purpose; silent layer 2 events, allocating the area if it's not a square, etc.
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

The trailer is being organized now. Whenever it's completed, it will be the release date.
I expected the official release would be done one week after the prerelease(16 or 17 in November, depending on time zone). It may be faster if possible.

Some modifications done recently:
morsel/morceau wrote:
101.zip

I forgot to include it. Now it's fixed.

- Tweaked "The Richest Storehouse" a little, so the clock room can be found more easily
- Tweaked the credits a little
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

So... Are we going to have an official release thread with screenshots etc?

Also, are we going to release it on SMWC?
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

I asked aterraformer to announce the hack's completion. He will be doing it whenever he is ready for writing. A really fancy, unique trailer was already made, and it will be included in the announcement. I will express various feelings about this collab briefly too, if my English writing is done smoothly.
Ryrir wrote:Also, are we going to release it on SMWC?
Sure. We still have to select some screenshots to upload on SMWC's hack section.
Koopster
judge of u

Re: Level tweaking and QA (maintenance)

Post by Koopster »

Ey, it's me again
I wish I could have helped a little in those final steps, but I haven't been able to; no computer D:
In the end, all I did was sneak in out of nowhere and make a level. lol

I'm super happy to see it pretty much done regardless. Amazing job, guys! :D This is a must play for me when my comp returns (I have played few levels so far, so it will mostly be a fresh playthrough)
worldpeace125

Re: Level tweaking and QA (maintenance)

Post by worldpeace125 »

Thanks, and I wish you get your computer soon!
worldpeace125

Re: Level tweaking (v1.02)

Post by worldpeace125 »

I've postponed v1.02 due to some serious personal stuffs since the last december, but now it seems I have enough time to prepare the next version.
As several authors including me wanted to fix some of their levels, let's go for it.

I'm gonna wrap up what I've received some modifications since v1.01 was released, and will release v1.02 this weekend or the next weekend.
Feel free to submit your modifications before the release so I can include them in this version.

The submissions after the release will be likely included in v1.03. However if you write posts here to reserve what you're going to fix, then maybe I can wait for you before uploading v1.02.

Note that I'm not going to take the previous plan discussed in the main thread. Levels will be updated only if their authors want. (an exception is "horse eating disorder" which I unintentionally made much harder)
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

Glad to see that this hack is still being updated! I have a few thoughts:

Will we go through with the plan of deleting the overworld events of "Shell Sticker" and "1F8", so that you can 100% the game without beating these levels?

You should really give yourself credit for the "Suspicious Warehouse". You made like 80% of that thing!

Can we edit the chuck sprite from "Chuck Magnet" into level 8E? Just kinda jumping around there? You killed him previously, and now he lives happily ever after in the heaven of the giant spaghetti monster? Idk, some people really didn't want to kill him at the end of "Chuck Magnet" and I just thought it would be kind of funny (:
worldpeace125 wrote:Note that I'm not going to take the previous plan discussed in the main thread. Levels will be updated only if their authors want. (an exception is "horse eating disorder" which I unintentionally made much harder)
Yeah, it's really difficult to find a midway between the level being to easy (the original version) or a little bit too hard (your edits). Maybe it would be enough to edit the berries to give one or two seconds more?

Edit: Watching the movie for "1F8" sets your lives to 75 for some bizzare reason. Am I the only one encountering this weird phenomenon?
Edit 2: It didn't happen when I exited the yoshi house and came back again. Weird...
Last edited by Ryrir 8 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
morsel/morceau

Re: Level tweaking and QA (next: JUMP v1.02)

Post by morsel/morceau »

I'm glad of this chance to make my levels a bit harder.
dont wanna jihad no more
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

Ryrir wrote:You should really give yourself credit for the "Suspicious Warehouse". You made like 80% of that thing!
Seconded
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

Ryrir wrote:Will we go through with the plan of deleting the overworld events of "Shell Sticker" and "1F8", so that you can 100% the game without beating these levels?
No, I will just leave them as a B side, because I'm not confident on modifying the overworld without breaking the compatibility of old save files.
Didn't bringing a yoshi let you bypass Shell Sticker? Probably we could do a similar thing (e.g. a yoshi wing) on 1F8, but I don't think anonymounsbl00dlust will like this.
You should really give yourself credit for the "Suspicious Warehouse". You made like 80% of that thing!
Oh I will add myself there.
Can we edit the chuck sprite from "Chuck Magnet" into level 8E? Just kinda jumping around there? You killed him previously, and now he lives happily ever after in the heaven of the giant spaghetti monster? Idk, some people really didn't want to kill him at the end of "Chuck Magnet" and I just thought it would be kind of funny (:
That's a funny idea :D I'll try and give credit to you if you want.
morsel/morceau wrote:I'm glad of this chance to make my levels a bit harder.
nice
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

worldpeace125 wrote:
Ryrir wrote:Will we go through with the plan of deleting the overworld events of "Shell Sticker" and "1F8", so that you can 100% the game without beating these levels?
No, I will just leave them as a B side, because I'm not confident on modifying the overworld without breaking the compatibility of old save files.
Didn't bringing a yoshi let you bypass Shell Sticker? Probably we could do a similar thing (e.g. a yoshi wing) on 1F8, but I don't think anonymounsbl00dlust will like this.
Yeah, somehow I don't think anon would be happy if we did that
It's fine the way it is now, I think, you can already bypass Shell Sticker so I don't think a shortcut for "1F8" is needed.
Ryrir wrote:Can we edit the chuck sprite from "Chuck Magnet" into level 8E? Just kinda jumping around there? You killed him previously, and now he lives happily ever after in the heaven of the giant spaghetti monster? Idk, some people really didn't want to kill him at the end of "Chuck Magnet" and I just thought it would be kind of funny (:
worldpeace125 wrote:That's a funny idea :D I'll try and give credit to you if you want.
Nah, that's okay, there's no reason to credit me it's just a silly idea I had (:
Isocitration

Post by Isocitration »

Is it intended that in the second half of Disco Dance Party, yellow switch blocks are placed using map16? You can get mushrooms without needing to press the yellow switch.

edit: Also updated message box 2 in level 1E (Misc Mon) so people might think twice before trying unreasonable things.
1e text.zip
(250 Bytes) Downloaded 92 times
raocow wrote:you are dommed iso.
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

Here you are.

JUMP v1.02

It still requires some test. After confirming that there's no error, I will upload this officially.
Changelog is included in the zip file.

Is it intended that in the second half of Disco Dance Party, yellow switch blocks are placed using map16? You can get mushrooms without needing to press the yellow switch.
Not sure if it's intended or overlooked by ravegg.
markyjoe1990

Post by markyjoe1990 »

I'm gonna edit two of my levels the moment I get a chance. They need to be nerfed slightly. I'll get back to you guys when it's done.