(shouting)

JUMP taken away from aterraformer?

A vanilla VIP-like smw collab!
Slit08

JUMP taken away from aterraformer?

Post by Slit08 »

So it seems that this game is not anymore what is used to be in the beginning. Don't get me wrong, it is an awesome game and I do like the levels but it has become were ASM heavy. Wasn't the original premise that this would be similiar to VIP 1 and have not as much ASM? Now we have a custom final boss and also chocolate heavy late game levels.
I'm under the impression that this project was taken away, "stolen" from aterraformer in a certain way and is now moving in a completely different direction as originally planned.
maybe it is just me getting this impression but that's why I created this thread.
Discuss!!
[ img ]http://www.loadthegame.com/wp-content/u ... 4jun14.jpg[/ img ]

Night comes and with it terrible horrors.

The hunt begins!
Ryrir
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: JUMP taken away from aterraformer?

Post by Ryrir »

I disagree.

I thought the original idea was to mimick the VIPs in general? Like, to have a vanilla beginning and then slowly move on to more ASM-heavy stuff in the endgame (like in VIP 4 or 5).
And honestly, this game feels and plays almost 100% exactly like one of the later VIPs (for the good and for the bad), so I think we completely achieved that goal haha

(Besides, if aterraformer didn't like the way things were going, he would've said so at some point, wouldn't he?)
this is getting laundromatic
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

Yeah you're right, it feels a lot like a VIP game. And since I LOVE the VIP series I also like this game quite a lot. Don't get me wrong on that regard. It IS a great game, maybe a bit difficult (at least it seems more difficult than the VIPs in my oppinion), but nevertheless great. I just wonder if it failed to achieve what it was originally striving for which is giving a VIP 1 vibe. I remember aterraformer mentioning at the very start of this project that the game would have as good as no ASM just like VIP 1 had very, VERY limited chocolate levels with ASM heavy gimmicks. Now I see an (awesome) custom final boss, chocolate graphics and lots of ASM at the end akin to the newer VIPs as you wrote.

The hunt begins!
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

After spending a good amount of time to write below, I just realize I got ninja'd. Anyways:

Regarding the premise, you're right. It was the plan to make a hack that is similar to VIP 1. But now, with some heavy-ASM levels, probably the hack becomes more like VIP 3, 4, and 5(where custom final bosses or a number of ASM levels exist too).
If ASM levels could make some trouble for the hack's identity, they should have been rejected. Still I personally think the basic spirit remain unchanged. I couldn't deny that there are some levels which are chocolate as you mentioned, but I'm pretty sure mostly these levels are visually looking really vanilla which I believe what we pursue is. (even more vanilla-like than many levels from the "vanilla" level design contest because they mix tiles in obscure ways for unique art)

There are some systemic ASM hacks as well as level's ASM. At least they were aimed at making the accepted levels more reasonable(without discarding/changing levels themselves) and/or a better environment for gaming. Here's a list of what I can think of right now.
- 7th submap
Once there seemed to be no feasible way to place all submitted levels in 6 themes + 1 big overworld. So I managed to make a room for one more submap, which doesn't seem to give any chocolate feel.
- Dragon coin which is saved even before you collect all at once
There were opinions that having this feature would be nice, since a few levels were very hard and collecting all DCs in the levels without dying were even harder thus frustrating.
- Retry prompt in world 8 levels
It's my personal attempt to make (semi)kaizo levels acceptable. This was also applied to nonkaizo levels in world 8 just because of consistency. Perhaps also applying this to world 9 would be preferable.
With this feature, you don't need to return to the map screen(which takes fairly long).
- Custom status bar
It was designed by aterraformer, and I implemented it. Nothing much to say.
- Contents which can be unlocked by the amount of collected dragon coin (i.e. shop)
There were also opinions to reward for collecting dragon coins(make them usable) in irc.
In the current base rom there's one thing related to this: replay room. As a reward of collecting DCs, you can access the solution of some levels which might be too hard or secretive without assistance. So yeah, this is also one of my attempts to keep the original levels.

e: If I remember correctly, mostly aterraformer and we were together in irc during the progress. Not 100% sure how he would feel about the hack becoming similar to the newer VIPs.
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

Okay fair enough I have nothing to say against that. :) It's a good game and I hope raocow will LP it once it is finsihed. In any case I am glad that it was not "forcefully" changed into soemthing else it never was intended to be and the ASM changes made to the game as a whole seem to make sense like making Kaizo Levels somewhat acceptable and even playable. :)

The hunt begins!
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

Honestly...

...stolen is not the best word to use. It all got ahead of me and happened way too fast. I let it happen. I was just so damn excited to have participation because it was just a random idea in a post in response to the worst place MAGL2 level. Heck, the original idea was vanilla music and now we have custom songs by worldpeace! I was in over my head for a while and eventually it led me to give leadership to worldpeace. I had the idea before he had mentioned it so I was pretty relieved when he offered.

That being said, I love what the project has become. More specifically now that solutions have been made to curve the extreme difficulty of the hack. Though it wasn't my original intent, it still turned out to be great in its own right. Besides, if I ever want to have a more vanilla-y, VIP1 style hack, SMW hacking ain't going no where...
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

aterraformer wrote:It all got ahead of me and happened way too fast. I let it happen.
Thanks for the new sig aterraformer.
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

You're welcome?
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

I hope I'm not the only one who sees its potential without any context.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

b a k a s
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

I really don't get it. Sexual, I imagine (all too often)
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

aterraformer wrote:I really don't get it. Sexual, I imagine (all too often)
Got it in one (or indeed in more than one).
It sounds like someone's description of sudden sex that they later regret, at least partially.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

Doctor Shemp wrote:
It sounds like someone's description of sudden sex that they later regret, at least partially.
NSFW
It sounded like premature ejaculation to me.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Septentrion Pleiades wrote:
Doctor Shemp wrote:
NSFW
It sounded like premature ejaculation to me.
Can't be, doesn't include the mandatory "this hasn't happened to me before, I swear".
mellonpizza
working
First name: pizza

Post by mellonpizza »

Well this topic derailed quickly
I'm not a YTPMV'er. My goal is towards learning music and eventually making my own content with what I like (in this case ponies). I'm still studying how music works and this is what I can do so far, so to all the ytpmv'ers out there: Please stop following my videos, cause I'm not interested in making chiptune music with your rules you set up on how to make YTPMV's. Also I'd appreciate if you guys would lay off bronies in the comment section, cause these are made for them and not for people who
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Doctor Shemp wrote:
does it really. does it really. does it r e a l l y. does it
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

It does, really. But if you're with a nice gal, she'd understand... I would imagine
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

To clarify, not understand sudden and regretted sex or not understand going off way too early? Probably both really.
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

Somebody lock this