(shouting)

Multiperson Levels Thread

A vanilla VIP-like smw collab!
mellonpizza
working
First name: pizza

Re: Multiperson Levels Thread

Post by mellonpizza »

Being small the whole time definitely helps a lot, especially during the parts where the robots are weak. Maybe my view of the boss fight length/hp was exaggerated due to some factors like being big, making it harder to dodge. I can't tell if you reduced the health or not. But whatever it is now may work well. A checkpoint may not be necessary, unless you add the capsule as a first phase. Adding more mushroom drops in the middle of the fight would be a good change.
I'm not a YTPMV'er. My goal is towards learning music and eventually making my own content with what I like (in this case ponies). I'm still studying how music works and this is what I can do so far, so to all the ytpmv'ers out there: Please stop following my videos, cause I'm not interested in making chiptune music with your rules you set up on how to make YTPMV's. Also I'd appreciate if you guys would lay off bronies in the comment section, cause these are made for them and not for people who
Isocitration

Post by Isocitration »

My internet was down for a while so I wasn't able to download any updates before my second attempt. So far I've died about 50-60 times total (approx 2.5 hours of playing) and I was able to to get the boss to red health once. I'll have to play the newest version before I offer any more criticisms, since it seems there have been some significant improvements.

The lack of powerups given after the fifth phase is eventually what killed me. (it still had 1/3 health left by then)
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

Whoa, 2.5 hours of playing! I feel so regretful I couldn't make a sucessful decision about the difficulty. Sorry and thank you for that.

I'm going to make some attacks easier if needed. I labeled the phases as below.
label.png
label.png (46.78 KiB) Viewed 8597 times
(If exist,) Which attacks did you especially have trouble with?
Feel free to comment anything about them.
Also I will try providing more powerups in the middle of battle.
Isocitration

Post by Isocitration »

Ah, thanks for that list.
I still have a lot of trouble with 3-1, but I still haven't played the updated version of it so you can ignore this for now.

I feel 3-2 starts a bit too early, sometimes I'll jump over the last wave of bullets from one of the *-1 attacks and be hit by the bottom laser.

4-1 is really, really tight. Very hard to do big (no longer an issue) and also very hard to deal damage after the initial burst. At least with my strategy, which is to run under the waves and stay in the corners until the next.

4-2 I assume it is intended that the last wave can always be ducked under. Otherwise, no problems.

With 4-3, perhaps the platforms move a bit too fast.

The first time I played 5-3 I got hit by the thwomp as soon as it fell. I don't remember if there's a warning for it, if not their probably should be.

I also have trouble with 1-2 since it requires some precise reading and execution. I can do it, but if I dodge the wrong way the first wave, the second usually gets me.

Everything else I've found to be pretty doable after several tries learning them.
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

All your feedback has been applied to this. I really appreciate it!

Here's the next version.
finalboss_v4.zip
(954.75 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
Changes
Added more powerups in battle.
Fixed the phases having some problems which Isocitration pointed out.

Especially, I made 3-2 not follow some of *-1 attacks.

4-1 expects you to do like this. You would be safe and have more chances to hit the boss.

It's kinda well-known pattern in shmups (guiding bullets to the place where you're not likely to stay). But it wasn't kindly introduced. Possible situations cannot be flexibly handled either because it's a platformer where you are affected by gravity force.

I found out a little trick to prevent mario from being in a dead-end situation. The bullets from the eyes are not exactly aimed at mario now.

Despite of the change, the above method is still probably efficient.
YourFace

Post by YourFace »

I was reading the "what's left to be done" and I saw that you needed more people to make sublevels for the castle. I'll take one :P
-Derp-
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

Good. Make sure to choose a level and claim before starting :p
YourFace

Post by YourFace »

I really don't know what's going on with claiming levels xD
because things seem slow to update on that data chart...
-Derp-
lolyoshi
don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk.

Post by lolyoshi »

I redesigned my bowser's castle room AA.
Attachments
Bowser's Castle AA.zip
(1.6 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
lolyoshi
don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk.

Post by lolyoshi »

Claiming sublevel B1
mellonpizza
working
First name: pizza

Post by mellonpizza »

I'll do sublevel BD if I manage to finish my other Real Final. Which is close to being done.
I'm not a YTPMV'er. My goal is towards learning music and eventually making my own content with what I like (in this case ponies). I'm still studying how music works and this is what I can do so far, so to all the ytpmv'ers out there: Please stop following my videos, cause I'm not interested in making chiptune music with your rules you set up on how to make YTPMV's. Also I'd appreciate if you guys would lay off bronies in the comment section, cause these are made for them and not for people who
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

There would be yoshi's house in each submap (Each house would be an item storage and/or contain a bonus game for life farming). It can be built by multiperson, and discussing or claiming house levels can be done here. Currently only the house in the forest submap (world 6) is finished.

I've completed porting a theme of yoshi's houses. You could use this song or whatever you want in your house level.
Attachments
Money Money Money v1 (SPC).zip
(50.1 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

It would be nice to have things that help players to complete the game in various ways. Yoshi's houses are good places for them. There were some requests for it.
- Each yoshi's house contains a bonus game where you farm your life.
- There are multiple yoshi's houses located everywhere.
- You can save your game in any of them.

About the second item, I'd suggest having more yoshi's houses in various worlds because it's time consuming to walk across worlds.

The third one is now satisfied since I've made the save prompt appear in yoshi's houses.

Here's my plan for what yoshi's house would contain. (an example video)

1. A room supplying powerups. It provides all or part of mushroom, flower, cape, and yoshi.
The later rooms may contain better powerups.

2. Bonus game where you can earn lives. It would be good to have fun bonus games.
The later games may be better with respect to the speed of farming lives.

3. Save room. When you hit the light switch in the room, the save prompt appears. See the video for details.

The contents so far were the original plans that already existed, and the followings are new ideas.

4. A room that has records for levels in previous worlds. Each record shows a successful demo play of a level that is automatically played like the demo of the titlescreen. Each record can be accessible only if you have visited the corresponding level before and collected certain amount of dragon coins. This might provide clues for puzzle levels(and also non-puzzle levels) which are in 1~2 worlds ago. It will be useful if there are levels that you gave up, and it spoils only the levels you gave up in previous worlds (at this point spoiling wouldn't matter hopefully).

The secret exit of "Bridge Engineering" would be included here.
Claim your level's being here or the contrary.

5. An addon store where you can upgrade the map(overworld screen). There will be two options and getting one will require you to collect certain amount of dragon coins (the coins won't be paid).
- The number of exits that you beat for each level and the number of exits that the level has will be shown at the bottom right corner. It's a substitution for the key hole in VIP/ASMT, and will be helpful to know how many exits a castle/fortress/ghost house/etc has. Since this option should be unlocked only after the level called "UNDER CONSTRUCTION"(until this level, you are not supposed to know there's the secret exit of the castle #1), it will be placed in world 5~6.
- The author of each level will be shown at the bottom right corner. Personally I think it's in the same tier as the credit, so it may be accessed in post game.

6. A special shop where you can unlock the levels in world 9 with dragon coins. Dragon coins will be needed but not paid.

Feel free to discuss the contents or suggest other contents. I'm posting this on this thread since each bonus game and yoshi's house can be done by multiperson.
markyjoe1990

Post by markyjoe1990 »

Why not just allow the player to save their game on the map screen with the press of the button, or make the game auto save?
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

markyjoe1990 wrote:Why not just allow the player to save their game on the map screen with the press of the button, or make the game auto save?
I rather like the graphic of the 3½ floppy used for the save point, thus being the only reason for not your idea. aterraformer feels old for knowing about floppy discs knowing some of you do not I was even around for the 5¼.

In all seriousness, I think this is really neat and I'm glad to see JUMP doing well. I just wish I could get myself to be more involved...
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

I also considered auto saving feature, but I didn't choose it because saving progress is not always good. For example, midway point status has been one of what is saved since the vanilla rom. You might not want to save it if you want to backtrack to the beginning for some reasons but beating the second half is really a matter. The level called "Pixel Perfect" is a good instance for this. When you begin from its second half, you cannot use yoshi to fly over the whole level. Red levels whose secret exit is in the first half may be also in this case.

Regarding the save prompt appearing when you press the button, I think that's actually a good idea. The button can be "start" or "select", since ravegg didn't allow scrolling on the main overworld map so we have these free buttons. But unlike scrolling on the map, probably I should make the save prompt not appear while mario's walking from a level to another. If mario's position is saved when he's in between levels, he just stands on the road and cannot move to anywhere when you load it.

But I also want to keep the disc icon since I like it. It's likely that players will go to one of yoshi's houses right after loading their games to earn lives anyway. The number of lives isn't saved like the original smw.
aterraformer wrote:I just wish I could get myself to be more involved...
You are free to grab one of unfinished levels and make a new one, design one of yoshi's houses, or provide any ideas. I hope your free time allows you to do so. I can assist you if you need any resources (especially sprite, asm, and probably music though music would take time a lot).
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

I like it being in the house just cause it makes the houses all the more useful fun places I guess. If I can save anywhere in a video game i tend to do it everywhere multiple times compulsively.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

Thank you all for the opinions. Here's a little progress: shop system
http://youtu.be/CXvrynOougI

Note that the graphic, text, and design of this house is a placeholder.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Really wish I could create more levels for this hack, but I'm living in my car right now and my laptop is broke. The car will be done for soon as well. Not sure whats going to happen.
Pheonix
still the harpy guy

Post by Pheonix »

After ??? amount of time, finally decided to rip off one of the rooms in the original bowser's castle. Not sure if the difficulty's in line with the rest of the sections, though.
Attachments
a7.zip
(885.7 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
pheonix/feenicks/ffeenicxkcs
https://twitter.com/ffeenixcks
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Finally got a laptop, so I can create levels again. I've been away can some of you give me the run down on whats open.
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

First you could work on what you claimed, sublevel B8(real final) and level 7.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Alrighty! I shall do that then. :)
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

Here's a new port I've just completed! I guess it will be used in bowser's castle.
Attachments
Beat Them Up! v1.zip
(35.97 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

worldpeace125 wrote:Here's a new port I've just completed! I guess it will be used in bowser's castle.
I want you to know that I love this arrangement of the RomaSaGa 1 boss music

You did a good jerb
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*