(shouting)

Multiperson Levels Thread

A vanilla VIP-like smw collab!
aterraformer

Multiperson Levels Thread

Post by aterraformer »

Bowser's stage will be more linear with 1-3 choices just in a room (preferably not too flat) with no more than two rooms required before a midpoint. Real Final will be done in the form of VIP5 - Area 42 style. Non conventional, actual level, upside down (or too copy pasta?). No more than three rooms before a midpoint, though two would be preferred.

-Bowser-
Hubs: ??? (can be multiple people)
A1: Jolpe
A2: aterraformer (unfinishedof course)
A3: yogui
A4: ravegg (unfinished)
A5: Franky
A6: morsel/morceau
A7: Pheonix
A8: Frozelar
A9: luigiman09
AA: Yoshi (it's in the Bowser bracket but I think it's too hard)
AB: Fornaxus
AC: Jolpe
AD: ???
AE: ???
AF: ???
Boss: not vanilla Bowser

-Real Final-
Hubs: ???
B0: Isocitration
B1: ???
B2: morsel/morceau
B3: morsel/morceau
B4: ???
B5: ???
B6: aterraformer (beginning to see a pattern here)
B7: Jolpengammler (unfinished?)
B8: Franky (unfinished)
B9: ravegg
BA: worldpeace125
BB: mellonpizza
BC: Daizo
BD: ???
BE: ???
BF: ???
Boss: worldpeace125

We don't need to fill all of these but considering we only have two finished Real Final sections... we need more.
Last edited by aterraformer 9 years ago, edited 9 times in total.
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
morsel/morceau

Re: Multiperson Levels Thread

Post by morsel/morceau »

Bowser's stage will be more linear with 1-3 choices just in a room (preferably not too flat) with no more than two rooms required before a midpoint.
On the basis of 5-7 screens for a sublevel, getting to the midpoint will be really easy, since its equivalent to a normal level length and none of the sublevels are very difficult. This is a bit lame for Bowser's castle. Four sublevels to the midpoint (un)like the original game's Bowser level would be better.

Should we randomize the choices? I like random - VIP 1's castle was good that way,
dont wanna jihad no more
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

This is a very good point, I guess I just worry very much about the difficulty. I've been trying to go through all the rooms in ASMT King Charle's Castle and it's pretty painful haha. I just don't want it that brutal I guess. This is kinda the same reason I don't want random. As cool as it would be, for anyone trying to experience all the rooms (which I imagine it wouldn't be very many but oh well) it would make it difficult, especially knowing just how many are involved.
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Gonna have to give up my other level, I'm not in a place I can create a level this time. :( I wont have my laptop back for awhile now.
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

I'd like to do another level - say, B3 for a balloon section where you can take a hit?
dont wanna jihad no more
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

I know I already have lots of stuffs to do(coding boss and some music). But there are still free slots, so I'd like to take sublevel BA, too.
upside down (or too copy pasta?).
I think it might be considered rather copy pasta by some people (especially VIP authors?)
ravegg

Post by ravegg »

I've got an idea for a layer 2 room, can I take room B9?
I make puzzles for games sometimes check em -> Steam Workshop
Fornaxus

Post by Fornaxus »

Can I get level AB? If so, are there any restrictions? (like amount of screens, palette, etc)
Make that the cat wise!
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

The only rule really is don't make a feature length level or excessively hard because it will be played along with other sections.
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

I made a video of my room, go watch it if you're bored. (disclaimer: BGM in this video is not going to be used in the actual game. it's just for avoiding youtube's 3rd party checker.)
I'm aware that the final level is goig to be somewhat abstract. So some decorations/visual effects will be added as its unifying theme is decided concretely.

After playing all existing levels in A1~BF, I realized that the length and difficulty of each room really varies. So I'm suggesting to group them by difficulties (about 3~4 layers, easy normal hard (insane)). This info will be useful later to place easy rooms at the beginning and hard rooms at the end. Despite this idea, adjusting difficulty of yours would be nice, of course.

If I manage to make an epic boss for this, will people be interested enough to participate and complete this collab? (yeah we are still wating a number of things to be done.) If not, I don't want to even start to make it since it's really super ultra hyper hard work. (consuming time is the biggest matter. I would have done more productive things for my real life.)

Edit: I just wanted a kind of guarantee that the collab will be finished someday, before coding boss. Maybe I was too sensitive to the fact that some other collabs were dead and that only few people are now working for this. I don't want to see it buried after all the works.
Anyway I'd like to use sublevel BF for the boss room.
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

A screenshot of the final boss
A huge battleship robot is approaching fast!
JUMP_00000.png
JUMP_00000.png (7.49 KiB) Viewed 8672 times
Pheonix
still the harpy guy

Post by Pheonix »

I'll take an A7, seeing as my finals are going to be done by thursday afternoon.
pheonix/feenicks/ffeenicxkcs
https://twitter.com/ffeenixcks
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

Progress:
Beside plasma projectiles, now equipped with lasers and missiles.
JUMP_sample.png
JUMP_sample.png (13.19 KiB) Viewed 8570 times
I haven't decided a way for hitting the boss. I want it to be intensively interactive like Luigi boss from SMW Yeah, but I cannot find a way since this battle is against a huge-type boss (38 block tall).

Currently I'm thinking two ways. One is waiting a throw block spawned and throwing it to the weak point of the boss, but waiting makes the battle too restrictive and can be boring. So I guess it's very bad.
The other is megaman style: you can fire your weapon(fire flower) at anytime. But since the weak point of the boss is too high for fire flower, I need to ASM it like: http://youtu.be/84o-8_jGtU4?t=2m10s. Also HP of the boss should be higher in this case.
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

Yeah, I would really appreciate if you could inflict damage at all times instead of a lot of waiting. I'm really liking the direction of the boss, especially the multiple hits mushroom thing.
mellonpizza
working
First name: pizza

Post by mellonpizza »

I'll try to make a level for BB. I know I haven't shown any progress in a long time :/ but I will create a level based around not being able to jump at all.
I'm not a YTPMV'er. My goal is towards learning music and eventually making my own content with what I like (in this case ponies). I'm still studying how music works and this is what I can do so far, so to all the ytpmv'ers out there: Please stop following my videos, cause I'm not interested in making chiptune music with your rules you set up on how to make YTPMV's. Also I'd appreciate if you guys would lay off bronies in the comment section, cause these are made for them and not for people who
KingYoshi89

Post by KingYoshi89 »

mellonpizza wrote:I'll try to make a level for BB. I know I haven't shown any progress in a long time :/ but I will create a level based around not being able to jump at all.
Make it somehow "fun".
mellonpizza
working

Post by mellonpizza »

Make it somehow "fun".
Sí, señor.
I'm not a YTPMV'er. My goal is towards learning music and eventually making my own content with what I like (in this case ponies). I'm still studying how music works and this is what I can do so far, so to all the ytpmv'ers out there: Please stop following my videos, cause I'm not interested in making chiptune music with your rules you set up on how to make YTPMV's. Also I'd appreciate if you guys would lay off bronies in the comment section, cause these are made for them and not for people who
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

Reporting the progress speed. I've finished coding 6 of 16 planned patterns for 3~4 weeks. It was slow because I had to implement most basic components for things you see from the screenshots, and it was fairly complex. Since basic parts are nearly done, I'm expecting the speed will become faster.
Speaking of the difficulty or number of patterns, they are not that hard I think. I tried hard to make the patterns clearly learnable, and I guess some skilled players who have good reactions may deal with them even on the blind run. Also you are given multiple powerups. I'm a little worried it would be too easy to adrenalize you. If it turns out that having 16 patterns seems too messy or less consistent, I'm going to cut down on it's number.

And here are some mediocre ideas for the final level
1. MK-2 version of SMB 3 doomship: a huge battle cruiser floating in space or sky (depending on overworld submap)
2. Prison: a structure that was built by sadistic level designers (so cliche)
3. Abstract geometric patterns: dynamically distorted by HDMA (ASM needed), creepy like AREA 42 or not
4. Abyss: a bottomless pit that leads to hell of sadistic level designers. In hub rooms you are falling and falling, and some demonic creatures are looking at you (but you cannot focus on them because you're falling so fast)
5. VR-32: a red world of virtual boy (obviously a pun)
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Well, I'm able to make stuff again. Lemme know what you want me to do.
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

Glad to see you come back.

I think you can finish sublevel B8 you claimed or do anything you want. Things needed for this project are beta-testing (need a new version of base ROM reflecting recent updates), creating more rooms for these multiperson levels (+ deciding their theme), and making new levels (well, it's optional).

It's also important to revamp your levels. It would be highly appreciated if you take into account the direction of this project mentioned in the main discussion thread. You can polish them yourself or wait comments: In the next stage of development of this project, all levels should be reviewed. Hopefully I'm going to be one of reviewers, also I'm going to organize a difficulty list like this.
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

Yay another weekly update news:
I've decided the way to fight against the boss. You are equipped with Donkey Kong 3 bug spray.

This screenshot doesn't show much though.
JUMP_00000.png
JUMP_00000.png (4.48 KiB) Viewed 8383 times
So I'd like to put some bugs but I have to make them go well with mechanic and weaponry.

Any interesting ideas welcome. Especially if you want something to be implemented, feel free to let me know.
mellonpizza
working

Post by mellonpizza »

I remember in your Dual plans you had the idea for a nerd and flies. Maybe you could incorporate that somehow, like having him controlling a wily-capsule like machine while spitting flies.
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

Oh I forgot them. But they were planned to be just a middle-sized zako and only have a simple pattern. To exploit that nerd for the boss, I need to draw something like capsule you said and some motions. But I have no idea how to draw original graphics at all.

For those who don't know what the nerd we talk about is: http://suitepee.snucse.org/main.files/dual.htm

The current robot graphic was ripped from one fangame of IWBTG (http://youtu.be/OsDafA1JQ1Q?t=3m3s). I liked because it looked super despite its relatively simple static motions, and quite easy to copy its graphic.

Meanwhile, the spray attack is inspired by Donkey Kong 3 (http://youtu.be/sWdtYW5U9DI). It would be kinda short-range attack. When the weakpoint of the boss is located high, you should jump and shoot your weapon. Your weapon will be used for damaging boss and destroying breakable obstacles. This is how the boss fight will be. (Much developed from the original plan and now I have to change things that I've implemented so far.)

Now we have two options for boss theme and have to choose one for consistency.
1) A heavily armed robot with some zako planes (current)
I already ripped off some weapon GFX and implemented a number of patterns. Just one thing is to replace the bug spray with something like flamethrower or etc. I will search classic games to rip off such weapon effects.

2) A nerd who is liked by various insects and has ability to control them
Maybe I can import insect graphics from Donkey Kong 3. But maybe need artist to draw his vehicle or airship.

I think the first option is cooler and the nerd character might be arbitrary. But I do also like the option 2 because parody/homage to a classic game is nice.
mellonpizza
working

Post by mellonpizza »

An idea I had was that the nerd would control the giant robot (The player would not know during the first phase), doing all of the fancy danmaku and lasers and whatnot you created. He could summon insect-like androids that shoot bullets and laser for certain attacks if we want to have something appropriately fitting a bug spray attack. One the robot is destroyed, the nerd escapes in his capsule (You could probably just rip it straight from Megaman 4) and you do a second phase fighting the capsule. You can design it so that the two phases don't make the boss too long. You could also transfer some of the patterns to the second phase so players aren't forced to deal with so many different patterns at once.
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

Yeah splitting patterns into two phases would be a very good idea and pretty feasible. One possible problem is insuffient GFX space or palettes but there would be a way to solve it hopefully.

Since this takes much longer than I expected, maybe I'm going to upload a demo once or twice before completion.