(shouting)

Overworld Thread Redux

A vanilla VIP-like smw collab!
aterraformer

Overworld Thread Redux

Post by aterraformer »

Hey everybody. I want to bring JUMP back to it's former "glory" by reviving threads that stopped existing after the great crash of 2013 here on the good ol' Talking House. I cannot do this alone!! Please help as much as possible with this and the next thread to exist whenever I make it exist. Opinions on level placement and if I forgot anything, a reply is strongly encouraged. The new levels in worlds are NOT definite, ravegg has the final say.

World 1:
Introduction to Ledges and Edges
The Dumbest Cave (S)
Monty Pit
Mushroom Ledge (S)
Musical Grasslands
Chuckleton Plains (S)
Springity Sproing
Bastion in Blue (S)

World 2:
Rad Rugby Knoll
Pipes in Literally Everyone's Business
Aquiferic Pressure (S) (needs secret pathway to TIDES OK!)
TIDES OK *not there yet*
Land of the Jolly Tan
Effort Land (S)
(insert 1 exit level here)
Random Blue Switch
Beezos in the Trap
Terrible Whiteness of Sadism Castle (S)

World 3:
Siberian Precipice (S)
Crusher Cavern
Glacier Soup
Cool Kickin'
PEEK-A-BOO!! (S)
SWITCH'S YELLOW, YO
Slippery Sloppy, Steep Slopes
Cryophobia Cavern (S)
Peaks of Revolution (S) (admittedly, I have no idea where to put it. especially with a secret. but it is an ice level sooo darn)
Melt a Meat Locker!

World 4a:
Boiling With the Best of Them *not there yet* (maybe place before Crumbing?)
Crumbling Your Problems Away
Swim With the Stars
Horse Eating Disorder
Perilous Pier
Angry Fish

World 4b:
Economic Path
UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Chuck Magnet
-Charge-
don't screw up, k *not there yet*
Tunnel of the Living Rock *not there yet*
Palatable Perturbation

World 5:
Rope is Nightmare
6 notgoodwithusernames (!!!FINISH AND NAME THIS!!!)
Luminous Leaping (S)
Polished Pipeline (S)
GRASP EXCEEDER
Wigglertuff
The Smog that Smiles Back *not there yet* (maybe in the top right?)
The Ruins of Challenging Sadness

World 6:
Into the Dark Forest (S)
House of the Holy (S)
Old Fogey Sky
The Green Switch
All the Way from New Jersey
Get the Normal Exit (S)
BALLS
THE TREES ARE DEAD
Coin Guides Are Always Accurate! (S) *not there yet*
Shell Shrine

World 7:
The Lava Gap (S)
Root of Yggdrasil
Industrial Interior
We Haven't Had Enough Thwomps *not there yet*
Skulliloquy (S)
Disarray
Blockomancy Vs Trigonometry
Think Fast! *not there yet*
Scaffolding Scuffle
Ludwig's Grindhouse
Bowser's Barrier

World 8:
Just Patterns
Pixel Perfect
Disco Dance Party
Chains of Atrophy (S)

World 9:
Mine of Tenebrosity
The Black Hole
Miscellaneous Monument
Super Grand Ultra Marathon of Finalness
The Depraved Stronghold
Final Challenge

Levels left:
Shouldering On
7 Franky
E Neidave
1A anonymousbl00dlust
23 mellonpizza
The Cave of Layer2
10C Neobullseye
Bridge Engineering
113 ganache nh
116 EvilGuy019
cynderfyre's red switch that needs a name
Keep a Positive Altitude (world 5, maybe world 6 one or two exits before Green Switch)
Shell Sitter
138 ???

I almost feel we need an entire other world for these levels >_<. Someone ASM me a seventh submap please! All joking aside, the only realistic thing I can think of is using the world 8 main map space and reducing the special world to one submap. It could still be two worlds though.. maybe. It just sucks that I really like the overworld the way it is but either way it requires quite a bit of maneuvering. My fault for allowing ravegg the go ahead, but I was excited.
Last edited by aterraformer 10 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
yogui
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Banned
First name: guy who made something

Re: Overworld Thread Redux

Post by yogui »

Is the yellow switch really in world 5? I though it was in world 3.
Anyway for the name use the one that I send with my level (that was SWITCH'S YELLOW YO).
[enable_hats][/enable_hats]
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

yogui wrote:Is the yellow switch really in world 5? I though it was in world 3.
Anyway for the name use the one that I send with my level (that was SWITCH'S YELLOW YO).
Oh yes, that is indeed the name. I guess I forgot to put it in the level doc. World 3 sounds familiar. The most issue is the space in the submap.
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

Hold on, the blue switch is in world 2 but I remember a level(s) in world 1 (the first castle) having blue switch blocks. I think it would be better to place switch palaces as early as possible so that the switch blocks may possibly have some use throughout the hack.

Why don't you fill out world 8 a bit more? There is no need to only have impossible levels that no one would want to play there. Levels like Keep a Positive Altitude or Bridge Engineering would be a good reward for beating the main game. If they are a bit too easy for World 8, you could include something random (such as a stupid shell jump or bouncing off a springboard in mid air) you only get one shot at at the end of the level.
dont wanna jihad no more
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

morsel/morceau wrote:Hold on, the blue switch is in world 2 but I remember a level(s) in world 1 (the first castle) having blue switch blocks. I think it would be better to place switch palaces as early as possible so that the switch blocks may possibly have some use throughout the hack.
The secret in the castle is hinted at in the world 4 level made by the same creator. My thought is that someone playing this blind would go back at that point and be able to utilize the switch blocks. I'm not entirely against the blue switch in world 1 though.
morsel/morceau wrote:Why don't you fill out world 8 a bit more? There is no need to only have impossible levels that no one would want to play there. Levels like Keep a Positive Altitude or Bridge Engineering would be a good reward for beating the main game. If they are a bit too easy for World 8, you could include something random (such as a stupid shell jump or bouncing off a springboard in mid air) you only get one shot at at the end of the level.
This is a good point. I'm still figuring out if the post game needs to be reduced to one submap though. There are a lot of levels without a home and some submaps would need to be completely redesigned to accommodate. I don't want that.

About the ending bit... nope. I wouldn't deny the design if it is included in the level already but tacking it on seems arbitrary. As you can see with world 7, I don't mind the difficulty being janked (pun intended)
ravegg

Post by ravegg »

Oh man lots of levels to add :shock:

The only thing up here that has me legitimately worried is the "Levels Left" part. The rest of the stages (like the *not there yet* levels) I have a pretty good idea of where I can squeeze them in. Some submaps like the sky map and the ice map can't really take many more.

Cave of Layer 2 seems like it belongs in world 4/5
Red Switch I want in world 4, but there aren't any secret exits
Keep a Positive Altitude will be in World 5 where Iso put it originally
Shell Sitter is definitely World 8
Shouldering On is really hard on a keyboard, couldn't find where this should go
Bridge Engineering I'm not sure either

I'm wondering, should World 8 be optional and not unlock world 9? All the levels in it feel too hard to not be the last thing unlocked in the game. World 9 can still be unlocked through dragon coins, but beating World 8 levels should just add to the exit count.

Also if I could get ideas on where people still designing their levels think they should go, that'd be helpful. These are just a few ideas, it's been a while since I've worked on the overworld.
I make puzzles for games sometimes check em -> Steam Workshop
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

I heard it needed more red levels to constitute paths, and I made Bridge Engineering have two exits for this purpose. I guess this level is not that annoying. So it's possible to put bridge engineering in world 4 and make its secret exit lead to the red switch palace. World 8 is also okay to me, if you need a level with multiple exits there. I just want the secret path not to be redundant.

I'd like to show my idea how to use both world 8 and dragon coins to unlock world 9.
You would be already familiar with how to unlock the bowser's castle in VIP4:
(star road#1 or star road#2) and
(star road#3 or star road#4) and
-> unlock the path to bowser's castle

My thought is similar to VIP 4 in that you can concretely choose and build your path, but dragon coin counter can be used like this:
(W8 level#1 or paying 20 dragon counter) and
(W8 level#2 or W8 level#3 or paying 30 dragon counter) and
-> unlock world 9
where paying 20 dragon counter means you collect all 5 dragoin coins for 20 levels(100 in total).
If level#1 is too hard and you want to avoid, then you can use the collected coins to pass this. The condition of each step can be unbalanced. In this example, level#2 and level#3 is harder than level#1 so more choices are provided.

Or simply you can use W8 as warp zone that connects between worlds, if you don't want world 8 to unlock world 9.

Edit: removed "not" stupidly misplaced in the sentence
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

ravegg wrote: Shouldering On is really hard on a keyboard
If you have L set to left shift and R to left control and use your pinky for these buttons it shouldn't be very difficult (games like Super Mario Kart won't be easy if you haven't considered such a configuration).
dont wanna jihad no more
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

@ravegg
I agree with your ideas for level placements. I just wish I had any idea what to do with all the others. I agree that world 8 should not be required to unlock world 9. Hopefully people will get on here and tell you a close approximate for difficulty.

@worldpeace
Admittedly, Bridge Engineering is hard to rank in terms of difficulty. It's pretty tricky, yeah but you can get out of pretty much any situation. I'm not entirely sure if world 4 would be too soon for this level. I do like your idea with the dragon coin amounts unlocking specific levels.

While watching Virus610's streams, even if I do add the fast overworld walking speed, it would still be beneficial to have some sort of warp zone. I have a habit of hitting that fast forward key when traveling but he never does so it kinda got me thinking about all that.
glitch4

Post by glitch4 »

If Peaks Of Revolution 's secret exit is cleared,then it should go to Warp Zone for Bridge Engineering like that or I dunno.If you cleared that one's secret exit,than there would be a red switch somewhere(see in VIP5),mostly it should be in World 4/5 somewhere.

Maybe World 8 should have warp zone levels then World 9 in submap?It's going to be great for adding a JUMP sign like VIP did in main or sub map.Then put 1 star warp for transporting in every world(see in VIP5),then like after Ludwig's Grindhouse W8 levels should unlock Bowser's Barrier (adding a path tile ,completing 4 levels of it if 6 levels in World 8),if you complete all levels of it then it should creat a shortcut to....World 2 maybe?Then you should add pipe to World 9 somewhere(like secret exit to it).

The only problem is where to put Shouldering On.It's too damn hard because it's medium speed autoscroll(it should be on slow so that's going to be better),but that would be a cheat.

Now I don't know if notgoodwithusernames is going to finish level (that takes like 6 MONTHS).

And these umnamed numbered usernames are are currently unknown(even if they're levels).

That's my opinions.
ravegg

Post by ravegg »

It's been a while due to a few computer issues, but I've got the overworld way more up to date. I have rearranged the level order in World 4 and a bit in World 8 to match the difficulty and terrain a bit more, but any suggestions are welcome.

I also threw together a quick World 8 to address the lack of warping
It's a bit basic, but I based it off of the SMW one, where every level can be accessed even if you haven't found the star warps. The stars are also a bit sporadic in placement, maybe we could take the one from Yoshi's House and put it World 6/7?

I've added every level except for World 9 and Cave of Layer 2 (not sure where it'll go). I put Bridge Engineering at the end of World 4 and Shouldering On in World 6.
Attachments
Jump OW v6.zip
(937.6 KiB) Downloaded 142 times
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

ravegg wrote:The stars are also a bit sporadic in placement, maybe we could take the one from Yoshi's House and put it World 6/7?
I have been thinking about this for a while and I think it would be a good idea to do that. It was a very dated idea to begin with.

Just two quick questions about the map, what is going on in between the world 5 castle and the special world? Also, the red switch. Will there be a platform rising up, or will it just float there? Even if it is just a platform extending from the waterfall? I'm not sure how that would work, I honestly have even less understanding of event created lands as opposed to my very little overworld knowledge beyond the basics.
ravegg

Post by ravegg »

The secret exit of Bridge Engineering will make a wooden bridge extending to the red switch. I'm not sure about your first question though, between those areas is just a path leading to World 6 from the castle and some decoration.
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

There are 4 levels sitting in the water and on the side of the mountain.
Isocitration

Post by Isocitration »

Yeah there appears to be a bunch of layer 1 tiles that seem to be placed unintentionally. They're scattered pretty much all over the main overworld and a few of the submaps. Some tiles even allow Mario to walk in a direction he's not supposed to with glitchy results ensuing.
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

If Bridge Engineering goes to World 4, I think I should update the level to be easier (especially at the "sync" segment).

World 8 in the main map seems functionally perfect now. But if the 7th submap is available for World 8, I'm wondering if you'd like to add some more contents into this world.
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

Feel free to let me know if my suggestions are unreasonable!

While setting up the map for save on my newest base rom version, I noticed the star in world 3. Would you be able to make a little cove type area in the mountain after it reveals?
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

Overworld ExGFX reload issue:
Even if you don't use that standard exit tile mentioned, the problem still happens when you're using 2 players mode. I've solved that problem and here's the result.
video (before and after): http://youtu.be/3CQngvwT-fc

I will continue working with overworld asm - the 7th submap everyone wants! I tested manipulating RAM related with layer 1 and 2, and implementing the (pseudo) new submap seems pretty much possible. I'm going to make the new submap utilize the unused area in the main overworld to make it editable with LM (above all making a whole new submap seems too complex). In JUMP, the top right area is supposed to be for World 8 but this can be used for the 7th submap.
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

Finally I managed to prepare the 7th submap.
http://suitepee.snucse.org/7th_submap.zip
It keeps failing uploaded so here's a link. Included are the asm file(to be inserted with asar), a sample ips, and a document.

Editing the 7th submap can be done with LM, so it's easy.
If you find any bug please report it!

This patch also fixes the overworld gfx load I mentioned above and it's better than what I showed in the video (no flickering).

When you test the sample rom, set it to 2-player game mode. Enjoy!
glitch4

Post by glitch4 »

I don't think I like it because i'ts SMW original looked.So I think there should be better idea that that.
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

Yeah that's just a sample map introducing the 7th submap. It is going to be replaced.
glitch4

Post by glitch4 »

worldpeace125 wrote:Yeah that's just a sample map introducing the 7th submap. It is going to be replaced.
If the JUMP is called ,would that nice when I ask to make 7th submap with JUMP word if it fits.If not,then use your own.
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

7th_submap_v2.zip
7th_submap.asm is slightly updated to be compatible with bsnes (reloading GFX part wasn't correct)
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

This is... amazing. worldpeace for best asm! I wonder what themeing we should go for it. I would say desert since I actually have a really nice song idea (I know it's forest but I always equate it to desert because Final Fantasy: Endless Nova haha) for that but we have no sandy levels (and that's probably a good thing haha). I guess maybe a caveish thing. We have levels for that. The last world can kinda be weirdish abstract thing, I don't know.
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

Desert can be possible if a number of unfinished levels(I believe some of which aren't even started) are going to be desert themed. I understand that what you consider realistic is World 8 = cave(+warp) and World 9 = abstract? Maybe I'm capable of porting that song if I somehow get the voice sample or substitution.